What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo? (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
They started on him last night with the Super Bowl :bs: again. Then come right back and talk about his 9/1 ratio of touchdowns to picks and 300 yard average against the Giants. I'm not sure why he gets more flack than guys like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. He's clearly better than either of those guys. He's always respectful in interviews. Why does everyone feel the need to pick on Romo of all people? Small school prospect, overcame long odds.

Is it just Jerry Jones blowback? People don't like Jerry? Why not? He truly tries to win every year. He treats players and alumni well. I don't get the hate to be honest.

He played tough as nails last season against the media darling 49ers and beat them with a severe injury (wasn't it a lung or something?)

I don't own Romo for the first time in several years this season, but I wish him well. And I'm a Packers fan. Hope he gets some redemption this season.

Quarterbacks often get too much credit/blame for the team's performance. Cowboys have some sexy pieces in DeMarcus Ware, Miles Austin, Jason Witten, and Dez Bryant. So some folks assume Dallas is a good team. When they don't do well blame is dumped on Tony's shoulders. Fact is the team isn't very good (or at least they haven't been the past few years). Bad defense and a lousy o-line won't take you very far. Romo should be commended for doing as well as he has. He's clearly one of the better quarterbacks in the league and would be an upgrade for a lot of teams.

First, as you know, fantasy football is not the same as actual football.

Romo has had the reputation of trying to do too much over his career. Playing within himself and within the offense was an issue early in his career.

But I don't think anyone thinks he sucks. The guy is set to become the Dallas Cowboys all time leading passer this season.

1. Cowboys hate and by proxy Jerry Jones hate.

2. Like any QB without a Super Bowl, people need someone to blame and that's usually the QB.

3. Banged hot Jessica Simpson and Carrie Underwood - hate hate hate hate!

He is the QB for the Cowboys.

He has never won a playoff game. (corrected, he is 1-3)

end of story

Eli is the QB for a team in NY, even WITH a superbowl ring people were still giving him crap up until last Dec

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Cowboy hate has something to do with it, but it goes beyond that. I live in Dallas, and there is a distinct line between Romo bashers and Romo supporters...

I think Romo is just an easy target....much like Jerry Jones or ant NFL coach or offensive cord.

Team loses....fans must find blame.

Same reason that people said LeBron wasn't 'clutch' and that Peyton Manning 'didn't have what it takes to win the big one.'

People aren't always very good at judging players independently of their team.

The playoff criticisms are fair, if a little tiresome. But one post-season run can turn that around. Matt Ryan is 0-3... but he's not playing for a franchise with any SB-winning QBs. There's a scale for comparison. Elway played poorly in a couple Super Bowl losses and was largely written off. Tomlinson's playoff efforts were severely criticized.

I don't think people disliking Jerry Jones is much of a mystery, however.

There's Cowboy hate going on, but there's also Romo's gun-slinging style.

When he forces a pass and it connects then you love him. When he throws an unbelievably bone-headed pick then the knives come out.

Personally I love watching Romo play and hope he gets his Super Bowl ring the day after Jerry Jones passes away peacefully and without pain or suffering and after having lived a long, full life.

Romo has had the rep of making the big turnover in big games and coming up small in the playoffs. Romo is a pretty dam good FF QB though. Always seems to put up good regular season numbers. Last night it seemed like Romo was having a problem getting the plays off on time though.

Because idiotic sports fans flock to the Cowboys and idiotic sports fans make to big a deal about heart + clutch etc...

A lot of bias. In the only redraft league I was in I got him in the 4th and this was an extremely QB heavy league. I know I heard he was a choker a lot but in the realm of fantasy football when has that mattered? He puts up numbers and is a very athletic QB.

Cowboy hate has a lot to do with it.

But people also forget that he was a media darling both on and off the field when he burst on the scene. Endless talking about his golf career and him trying to make the US Open and then dating Jessica Simpson. Then he had some highly spectacular choke jobs such as the bumbled hold for the FG in the playoffs and then throwing a pick in the endzone in their playoff game the next year. Didn't help it was all over the news he ran off to Cabo San Lucas with Jessica Simpson before that playoff game either. Then he dumped Simpson on her birthday or whatever and started another tabloid circus.

The backlash has been mighty and survives to this day.

Its simple. The Cowboys are worth more than any other sports franchise..........They are all over the tv all the time. That brings with it hatred, and bandwagon fans.

As the Cowboys QB Romo is gonna be under a microscope automatically. Ok, factor in that he had some HUGE games very early on. The sky seemed to be the limit. The expectation was a SB. But, every year the Cowboys seem to fade into the sunset. On the surface, it may seem like Romo is to blame. He's had a few big mistakes on big stages. Hell, I think he's driven all us Cowboys fans crazy a time or two. And I've criticized him at times.

If you look deeper, you'd see that the defense has been sub-par. The O-line has been meh. Yea he's got the shiny toys, but the foundation of the team has been weak, imo. His leadership has been questioned because he's not an "in your face" guy. This is wrong, imo. You want leadership, see last years 9ers game. He's a lead by example guy. And if you listen to what he has to say, he has fun out there. He's kinda like a big kid.

Personally, I like Romo a lot. He seems like an ordinary, humble guy. And he's matured as a QB. Last night showed that. Hostile road game. O-line penalty after penalty. He remains cool as a cucumber and made some great throws to lead the Cowboys to victory in a game most were already giving to g-men. will he win the big one? I dont know. The defense is improved, but the O-line does not instill a lot of confidence. Good thing Romo is a good at improvising.

Romo haters are typically Cowboys haters. They think he's overrated and a choker. Romo is not the problem. It starts with the GM. Giving up what they did for Roy Williams???? That was a joke..........just an example of things at the top that affect whats goin on on the field.

Most announcers are former players. They think simplistically and reactionarily.

Plus 'hating' (quickly surpassing irony as the most overused cliche in society) sells.

I think there are some comparisons here to pre-Miami Lebron. Obviously their draft situation and early prospects couldn't be more different, but they have some similarities.

They are both very good players that carry a sometimes under-performing team. They have been shaky in playoff games. They openly say that they are good when asked, which really is just them being honest as opposed to the disgusting false humility most players display. They both say the right thing and don't get into trouble off the field.

The media loves getting on guys that say they're good but haven't won it all, even though we all know its a team sport and you can be the best player on the planet and still never win a championship. If a guy says or does outrageous stuff, that's what gets talked about. If they don't, the media has to find a way to bring them down a notch so they say 'Well, player A isn't really a great player because blah blah blah'. Its happened to a Romo, Lebron, Peyton, and a bunch of other players.

It's 2012 and thirty plus year old men should not, in any circumstances, be wearing their baseball hat backwards... are you listening Roethlisberger?!?

Haha, just now listening to the sit/start for this week, Lammey(edit) Bloom has Jake Locker over Romo this week. Whoops.

QB for the Cowboys is the most nationally scrutinized position in sports (not counting Lebron James, who is on his own scrutiny planet). When you are tantalizingly good, but can never seem to win the big ones, you are going to draw a lot of criticism, wearing the star on your helmet.

Cowboy hate has a lot to do with it.But people also forget that he was a media darling both on and off the field when he burst on the scene. Endless talking about his golf career and him trying to make the US Open and then dating Jessica Simpson. Then he had some highly spectacular choke jobs such as the bumbled hold for the FG in the playoffs and then throwing a pick in the endzone in their playoff game the next year. Didn't help it was all over the news he ran off to Cabo San Lucas with Jessica Simpson before that playoff game either. Then he dumped Simpson on her birthday or whatever and started another tabloid circus.The backlash has been mighty and survives to this day.
I think this post is well-informed and shows no bias. It is true that he was a media darling and did stuff that ostracized the general public. The "general public" or fringe-fan is part of the equation, but for the hard core fan, Buckna also addressed his mishaps on the field which unfortunately for Tony, come in big games. I have not seen the numbers, but my guess is that this is his biggest primetime win and performance of his career. Good post, Buckna.

2nd highest rated QB EVER!!!!

and top 3 for sexiness as well

Romosexual and proud of it.

i picked up his kid last night on waivers in my 64 team ultra deep megalodon dynasty league

He gets it because it's like his 9th year now isn't it? Manning was getting the same amount of shif till he won it. Rivers has been getting the same as well. You get to a certain point in your career where the expectations to win are all that matter. Stats just become secondary.

He made his first probowl in 2006. That's 6 years now with expectations that he should have a Lombardi.

He gets it because it's like his 9th year now isn't it? Manning was getting the same amount of shif till he won it. Rivers has been getting the same as well. You get to a certain point in your career where the expectations to win are all that matter. Stats just become secondary.
he can't stop the defense from giving up double digit fourth quarter leads

He needs to get bigger leads then. Romo has done his fair share to give up leads as well and it's only the losses that are remembered. No one remembers a comeback victory unless it's for a superbowl. Everyone remembers when they lose a game late and costs them the playoffs. Just how it is.

He needs to get bigger leads then. Romo has done his fair share to give up leads as well and it's only the losses that are remembered. No one remembers a comeback victory unless it's for a superbowl. Everyone remembers when they lose a game late and costs them the playoffs. Just how it is.
i suppose you could argue he needs to have 35 point leads in every 4th quarter to be a top tier QBit seems a tad ridiculous, but you could argue ithe has the highest all time 4th quarter QB rating among active qbs, his team folds in the 4th quarter, and he gets crapped on for ithe cannot do it all, he needs SOME help

Haha, just now listening to the sit/start for this week, Lammey(edit) Bloom has Jake Locker over Romo this week. Whoops.
It's Thursday. How do you know this is the wrong pick?
Obviously I can't know, but Locker putting up a Matt Flynn game is highly unlikely ... as you know. Right now its looking like a bad call.(edit) Its not a big deal if it does turn out to be wrong, I just thought it was funny because I got Romo'd in the face in one league and I'm listening to sit/start this morning and Bloom says something like 'I'd start Locker over him', referencing the furious Giants pass rush.

(double secret edit) Although, it kind of is a big deal if he's wrong. How many times do people need to learn the lesson of 'don't sit your studs'? Romo is a stud. Its entirely possible someone had both Romo and Locker ans started Locker, and they're feeling pretty dumb right now.

It's 2012 and thirty plus year old men should not, in any circumstances, be wearing their baseball hat backwards... are you listening Roethlisberger?!?
The backwards hat was cool in the late 90s but not anymore..plus it makes his ears look like Dumbo.

I dont agree w using word hate, but its tough when the QB is just good enough, to where upgrading via draft/trade isnt feasible.

Lets forget yrs past and focus on this Season. Romo won a game that he should have imo. I dont mean to tout the Cowboys, but they have a Def, RB, WR's Basicaly enough juice that should yield a great team. If you compare the Cowboys team makeup w other "great QB's", Im not sure theres too many teams to actually compare.

I guess what Im saying is IF the Cowboys were to make a trade, which position would yield the biggest improvement? Prior to last nights game, I would have said a (QB n RB) swap w Det. Following last nights game, I dont plan to "hate" on Romo anytime soon.

Cowboy hate has a lot to do with it.But people also forget that he was a media darling both on and off the field when he burst on the scene. Endless talking about his golf career and him trying to make the US Open and then dating Jessica Simpson. Then he had some highly spectacular choke jobs such as the bumbled hold for the FG in the playoffs and then throwing a pick in the endzone in their playoff game the next year. Didn't help it was all over the news he ran off to Cabo San Lucas with Jessica Simpson before that playoff game either. Then he dumped Simpson on her birthday or whatever and started another tabloid circus.The backlash has been mighty and survives to this day.
I think this post is well-informed and shows no bias. It is true that he was a media darling and did stuff that ostracized the general public. The "general public" or fringe-fan is part of the equation, but for the hard core fan, Buckna also addressed his mishaps on the field which unfortunately for Tony, come in big games. I have not seen the numbers, but my guess is that this is his biggest primetime win and performance of his career. Good post, Buckna.
Thanks, FWIW, I think he's a very good QB but Dallas just hasn't had the pieces around him the last few years (his health hasn't always helped either.) The Defense looked legit last night, but the O'line is a major concern and will hold them back again IMO. He does remind me a lot of Farve in that he takes a lot of chances with the ball, but in Romo's case people only seem to remember the mistakes. I think a lot of that has to do with just general hatred of the Cowboys and his "next huge thing" persona he had early in his career (fairly or unfairly ascribed to him.)

I hear you - but the lebron comparison is a bit of a stretch. Lebron maybe the greatest player next to jordan. Romo isn't even a top five QB. The problem with Romo is that most fans would rather see him in the gym focused on winning instead of on TMZ with jessica.

I think there are some comparisons here to pre-Miami Lebron. Obviously their draft situation and early prospects couldn't be more different, but they have some similarities.

They are both very good players that carry a sometimes under-performing team. They have been shaky in playoff games. They openly say that they are good when asked, which really is just them being honest as opposed to the disgusting false humility most players display. They both say the right thing and don't get into trouble off the field.

The media loves getting on guys that say they're good but haven't won it all, even though we all know its a team sport and you can be the best player on the planet and still never win a championship. If a guy says or does outrageous stuff, that's what gets talked about. If they don't, the media has to find a way to bring them down a notch so they say 'Well, player A isn't really a great player because blah blah blah'. Its happened to a Romo, Lebron, Peyton, and a bunch of other players.

It's the media

same with tebow same with lebron

They overhype the #### out of these guys and crown them before they do anything. People get sick and hate them and if/when they accomplish something it makes a great story.

They "overcome adversity" while failing to mention that the media themselves were the ones to create it in the first place.

All about the $$$$$$$$$$$

In every single interview he talks about getting better. "We just need to get better"..."We're just trying to get better"..."if we can just get better we'll be fine". Every interview. It's eery how often he uses that phrase. I'm beginning to think he's losing his mind.

And with all the "getting better" he seems to be trying to do...he never does...and his offense never does...it seemingly gets worse. :confused:

In every single interview he talks about getting better. "We just need to get better"..."We're just trying to get better"..."if we can just get better we'll be fine". Every interview. It's eery how often he uses that phrase. I'm beginning to think he's losing his mind.And with all the "getting better" he seems to be trying to do...he never does...and his offense never does...it seemingly gets worse. :confused:
This is our own fault. How quickly people forget that Romo was once well-known for being the rare jovial, straight-shooter in interviews. And, much like Rex Ryan, everyone loved it.....when they were winning. But as soon as they started losing everyone (people here just as much as the media) began heavily criticizing him for not "saying the right things". The result is that we get yet another boring interview drone that people claimed is what they wanted.

In every single interview he talks about getting better. "We just need to get better"..."We're just trying to get better"..."if we can just get better we'll be fine". Every interview. It's eery how often he uses that phrase. I'm beginning to think he's losing his mind.And with all the "getting better" he seems to be trying to do...he never does...and his offense never does...it seemingly gets worse. :confused:
This is our own fault. How quickly people forget that Romo was once well-known for being the rare jovial, straight-shooter in interviews. And, much like Rex Ryan, everyone loved it.....when they were winning. But as soon as they started losing everyone (people here just as much as the media) began heavily criticizing him for not "saying the right things". The result is that we get yet another boring interview drone that people claimed is what they wanted.
:goodposting: Same with our politicians. If we jump on them every time hey speak their mind, they will adapt and give us pablum cliches instead of real answers.Also see can newton for the same phenomena.

Because he's the Dallas cowboys qb, and they aren't winning superbowls.
Or even winning playoff games. When you're QB of 'America's Team' you gotta do better than one playoff win in 6 years - especially when you're a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

How about four interception games? And five interception games?And late season choke-ups?It seems like every year he gets worse.How many total turnovers does Romo have? This year and last year - How many?Tell you this much, the Cowboys are currently between KC (Cassell) and Jax (Gabbert) in fantasy football points allowed to opposing defenses. Now: compare their receiving corps.He was a free agent signing third string quarterback from East Illinois whom Sean Payton himself coached up and built a system around and nobody's been able to drive the damn thing without him. End of story.

vice president Stephen Jones said his confidence in Romo remains very high -- so much so that he remains focused on signing the 10-year veteran to a contract extension to ensure that he retires as a member of the Cowboys.Jones has begun preliminary negotiations with Romo's representatives in hopes of getting a new deal done before his contract expires at the end of next season."We still feel that way," Jones said. "We've got a lot of confidence in Tony. Tony has a lot of confidence in himself. He is going to be fine. He is not the problem."
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/11/01/4382238/cowboys-coach-brass-still-put.html#storylink=cpyActually the more you look at it, the more it looks like no one will simply knock on the door and tell the Big Guy he's wrong and has been wrong all long.

Tony Romo is a great "Stat QB" but Tony has a proven 7-8 year track record of turning the ball over in crucial times of the game. Over and over again. Todays game ended the way we thought it would end.

Career in a nutshell today. Game of his life as the announcers pronounced throughout the 3rd Q/Early 4th and then he does exactly what he has his entire career.

Users who are viewing this thread