Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabertooth

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo?

723 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

is san fran out of the question for romo?

If he has any say in the matter (and given his relationship with Jones, he probably does), yes SF is out of the question. He's going to want to go somewhere with at least some chance of winning.

Denver should be in play, though, shouldn't they?

3 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Denver should be in play, though, shouldn't they?

I think Denver will probably want to develop one of their young QB's due to the investment they have made. But if I were them, I would definitely consider getting Romo. I think Romo would be okay with Denver as well

8 hours ago, dhockster said:

You did watch Sanchez play against the Eagles in week 17, right? I really don't think Jerry wants a potential super bowl season go down the drain if Dak gets hurt. Romo gives you insurance. Sanchez does not.

I think Jerry only deals Tony if he gets what he wants for him (I don't know what that is). He is not going to trade him for a cheap return.

FWIW, Sanchez has been a very good mentor to Dak this season.  If you want your backup to be comfortable holding a clipboard and helping your young QB read defenses and cheer for him, Sanchez might be just the guy to keep around.  http://www.espn.com/blog/onenacion/post/_/id/6045/the-dak-prescott-and-mark-sanchez-connection

I've seen more of these examples after this article was written so it's the real deal.  Sanchez might suck as a starting NFL QB for various reasons, but he definitely helped the rookie acclimate to the speed of the game and in preparation and adjustments.

5 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

If he has any say in the matter (and given his relationship with Jones, he probably does), yes SF is out of the question. He's going to want to go somewhere with at least some chance of winning.

does he want to win?

or does he want media attention and $$$?

jessica and i think the latter.

13 hours ago, Deamon said:

Not so sure.  The feeling among a few cowboys beat writers now is that they expect jerry to cut Romo outright without a penny in return. 

Teams know they have to move from him, they'll be patience and either low ball them in the draft or just wait for him to be cut

16 hours ago, Rookie_Whisperer said:

FWIW, Sanchez has been a very good mentor to Dak this season.  If you want your backup to be comfortable holding a clipboard and helping your young QB read defenses and cheer for him, Sanchez might be just the guy to keep around.  http://www.espn.com/blog/onenacion/post/_/id/6045/the-dak-prescott-and-mark-sanchez-connection

I've seen more of these examples after this article was written so it's the real deal.  Sanchez might suck as a starting NFL QB for various reasons, but he definitely helped the rookie acclimate to the speed of the game and in preparation and adjustments.

Well, that's great for Dak, and a good use of Sanchez. If you want to let Tony go however, and Dak goes down, I don't think you want Sanchez being the next guy up. He has shown in prior seasons, and reaffirmed it against the Eagles in week 17, that he just turns the ball over too much to be an effective back-up.

3 people like this

*Moore will be the backup. Sanchez will have to beat out Showers or his playing career is over. 

*- If Moore's ankle is ok. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
Eagles fans are really gross. ;)
1 person likes this

I was listening to ESPN satellite radio this morning and they were speculating on a few teams like Denver and the Jets as possibilities, and that while the Texans were also a logical fit that they couldn't see the Cowboys wanting to trade him to Houston and seeing Romo stay in Texas.

They also said that there are whispers within the NFL that the Chiefs could be a dark horse possibility as a landing spot for Romo.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Texans are "not a landing spot" for Tony Romo.

The Texans need quarterback help, but they're not in position to pay both Brock Osweiler and Romo top-end salaries. Osweiler isn't going anywhere this year, and owner Bob McNair said the team is more likely to look to the draft for help under center. Romo should have a number of other options.
Related: Texans

Feb 1 - 3:32 PM

11 hours ago, Faust said:

My opinion is the Texans are gutless. They could make it work Salary Cap wise if they wanted to because they can get out of Osweiller's deal next year and Romo's as well. But they are a very risk averse organization, and have been burned with signing aging veterans with health issues before (Tony Boselli, Ahman Green, Ed Reed). They will draft a QB in a QB-poor draft and hope they get "Dak Prescott" lucky. My fear is that they will saddle the potentially very strong defense they should have next year with subpar QB play, and they will waste the talent they have on the defense.

23 minutes ago, dhockster said:

My opinion is the Texans are gutless. They could make it work Salary Cap wise if they wanted to because they can get out of Osweiller's deal next year and Romo's as well. But they are a very risk averse organization, and have been burned with signing aging veterans with health issues before (Tony Boselli, Ahman Green, Ed Reed). They will draft a QB in a QB-poor draft and hope they get "Dak Prescott" lucky. My fear is that they will saddle the potentially very strong defense they should have next year with subpar QB play, and they will waste the talent they have on the defense.

This is will be what, the 3rd or 4th year in a row? Hell, they had a good D all the way back when Matt Schrubb was there. 

1 hour ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

This is will be what, the 3rd or 4th year in a row? Hell, they had a good D all the way back when Matt Schrubb was there. 

You're right, I should have said they will continue to waste the talent they have on the defense.

1 person likes this

Being an Eagles fan living in Houston, I follow both teams closely. When you have a decent team but no franchise QB, you have to make bold moves to get one. The Eagles did that by making two separate moves to move up and get Wentz. Heck, they even made a bold move when they traded for Bradford, which then helped them recoup some of the picks they lost to get Wentz. Be bold, or your ceiling is only going to be the divisional round of the playoffs. Either that or be lucky and hit the late round lottery at QB (i.e. Brady in the 6th, Wilson in the 3rd, Prescott in the 4th :D)

1 person likes this

Minny would have been a nice landing spot.

I did not realize how cap strapped the Cowboys are. I thought there was a good chance they keep Tony as insurance but they are going to need to save the $5 million by cutting or trading him because they are currently $11 million over the cap. The only other significant contracts they can cut to save money against the cap are Free ($5 million in cap savings), Lee ($7 million in cap savings) and Witten ($7.4 million in savings). I think Free is a no brainer, and reluctantly they will probably have to cut Witten. I think they will want to keep Lee because he is their best player on defense.

Edited by dhockster

On 2/2/2017 at 10:03 AM, Summer Wheat said:

not a big enough fan base for tony's ego.

On 2017-02-02 at 10:03 AM, Summer Wheat said:

Wouldn't that line get him killed?

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 10:04 AM, dhockster said:

I did not realize how cap strapped the Cowboys are. I thought there was a good chance they keep Tony as insurance but they are going to need to save the $5 million by cutting or trading him because they are currently $11 million over the cap. The only other significant contracts they can cut to save money against the cap are Free ($5 million in cap savings), Lee ($7 million in cap savings) and Witten ($7.4 million in savings). I think Free is a no brainer, and reluctantly they will probably have to cut Witten. I think they will want to keep Lee because he is their best player on defense.

I am too lazy to research...but I don't think its as bad as it looks.

15 hours ago, Bankerguy said:

I am too lazy to research...but I don't think its as bad as it looks.

I would tend to agree with you because I hadn't heard anything about the Cowboys being in cap trouble, but Overthecap.com is a great place to look at a teams cap situation and the Cowboys don't have a whole lot of options when it comes to cutting players to save money. Now they do have some flexibility with Bryant, Frederick, Smith, and Lee having large base salaries that they could convert to bonuses to defer the cap hit, which Jerry has done before to get under the cap. This is what they will probably do. I don't see them doing that though as a means to keep Romo; my point that I think he will be going somewhere else next year remains the same.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 9:39 AM, dhockster said:

I would tend to agree with you because I hadn't heard anything about the Cowboys being in cap trouble, but Overthecap.com is a great place to look at a teams cap situation and the Cowboys don't have a whole lot of options when it comes to cutting players to save money. Now they do have some flexibility with Bryant, Frederick, Smith, and Lee having large base salaries that they could convert to bonuses to defer the cap hit, which Jerry has done before to get under the cap. This is what they will probably do. I don't see them doing that though as a means to keep Romo; my point that I think he will be going somewhere else next year remains the same.

Witten could be gone, Leary is gone, Free could be gone. Some dollars there. While, I do not believe. the Cowboys could go nuts. I could see them take a run at depth players and maybe a corner.

Romo will not be back.

Edited by Bankerguy

It is my understanding that if dealt in a trade Romo's salary would be around $14 million.  That really isn't that bad for a team to absorb. 

Jerry Jones is a business man and his first priority is to do what is in the best interest of the Cowboys. Why in the world would he release Romo instead of getting something in return for him if he could? Doing "right by Romo" and just flat out releasing him is not in Dallas Cowboy best interest.  

If I am the Jets or Browns of the world, I offer Jerry a 5th round pick or something.  If Jerry just releases Romo, there is no way he chooses to go with the Jets or Browns over the likes of say Denver or Houston.  So if you are the Jets or Browns, the only shot you have at him is to trade for him.

Plus why would Jerry just release Romo and allow him to go to a contender that Dallas may have to play in the playoffs or Super Bowl. If Romo is the one missing piece say Denver needs to get back to the Super Bowl, why in the world would you hand it to them on a silver platter?

Jones should want to deal him to a team like the Browns or Jets that he doesn't really have to worry about.

I don't think Romo has a no trade clause.  So if you deal him to a crappy team and he decides to retire, so be it.

Releasing Romo would be a huge mistake by Jones from a business perspective.  If you are a team in need of a QB, you should be tossing Jerry an offer.

On 2/7/2017 at 5:54 PM, Bankerguy said:

Witten could be gone, Leary is gone, Free could be gone. Some dollars there. While, I do not believe. the Cowboys could go nuts. I could see them take a run at depth players and maybe a corner.

Romo will not be back.

No way in the world Jason Witten is gone.

54 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

It is my understanding that if dealt in a trade Romo's salary would be around $14 million.  That really isn't that bad for a team to absorb. 

Jerry Jones is a business man and his first priority is to do what is in the best interest of the Cowboys. Why in the world would he release Romo instead of getting something in return for him if he could? Doing "right by Romo" and just flat out releasing him is not in Dallas Cowboy best interest.  

If I am the Jets or Browns of the world, I offer Jerry a 5th round pick or something.  If Jerry just releases Romo, there is no way he chooses to go with the Jets or Browns over the likes of say Denver or Houston.  So if you are the Jets or Browns, the only shot you have at him is to trade for him.

Plus why would Jerry just release Romo and allow him to go to a contender that Dallas may have to play in the playoffs or Super Bowl. If Romo is the one missing piece say Denver needs to get back to the Super Bowl, why in the world would you hand it to them on a silver platter?

Jones should want to deal him to a team like the Browns or Jets that he doesn't really have to worry about.

I don't think Romo has a no trade clause.  So if you deal him to a crappy team and he decides to retire, so be it.

Releasing Romo would be a huge mistake by Jones from a business perspective.  If you are a team in need of a QB, you should be tossing Jerry an offer.

If all you're getting for Romo is a fifth round pick then no way in hell do I release him. IMHO his ### should sit on the bench for the next two years.  I don't feel at all guilty about saying that because the Cowboys have given him $100 million over the course of his career. 

56 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

If all you're getting for Romo is a fifth round pick then no way in hell do I release him. IMHO his ### should sit on the bench for the next two years.  I don't feel at all guilty about saying that because the Cowboys have given him $100 million over the course of his career. 

it would cost Dal $14 mil this year and $19.5 mil the next year for him to sit on the bench for two years....

Edited by Stinkin Ref

8 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

it would cost Dal $14 mil this year and $19.5 mil the next year for him to sit on the bench for two years....

How much will it cost to trade him? Dead money? 

16 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

maybe I don't know WTH I'm talking about....but zero?....the receiving team just assumes his contract...no...?

2 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

The Browns don't want him and the Jets don't have the cap room for him

6 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

It's a $5.1M cap savings to trade or cut him. $19.6M in dead money which they could spread some of that to next year if they cut him and designate him a post June 1st cut.

2 hours ago, Buckna said:

It's a $5.1M cap savings to trade or cut him. $19.6M in dead money which they could spread some of that to next year if they cut him and designate him a post June 1st cut.

So in other words, you lose the best backup in the league to save 5 million and then need to find a backup QB and no insurance against Dak having a sophomore slump. 

So how much money is actually saved after you sign a competent (veteran?) backup and how much better/worse off is the team afterwords? 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

4 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

No way in the world Jason Witten is gone.

Don't be surprised.

Steady, if they keep Romo and don't cut Witten, that's $12 million in possible cap savings that the Cowboys won't get. They are already $11 million over the cap right now. The only other players they can cut which will give them significant Cap savings are Free and Lee, and Lee is their best defensive player. Free only saves $5 million against the cap. The only other way for the Cowboys to get under the cap is to redo a bunch of contracts and defer a bunch of salary through signing bonuses. While they are likely to do some of that anyway (Jerry has done it before) I don't see the Cowboys being able to keep both Witten and Romo (and maybe not even keep one of them).

They'll release Romo, keep Witten, and restructure a bunch of folks.

Cowboys are around $11M over right now and that is with a projected increase in the cap of about 10%. They are actually the only team over the cap right now because its gone up so much. They also need space to sign their rookies which for most teams is around $5M or so really they are about $16M over.

Edited by Buckna