Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabertooth

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo?

569 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, dhockster said:

Steady, if they keep Romo and don't cut Witten, that's $12 million in possible cap savings that the Cowboys won't get. They are already $11 million over the cap right now. The only other players they can cut which will give them significant Cap savings are Free and Lee, and Lee is their best defensive player. Free only saves $5 million against the cap. The only other way for the Cowboys to get under the cap is to redo a bunch of contracts and defer a bunch of salary through signing bonuses. While they are likely to do some of that anyway (Jerry has done it before) I don't see the Cowboys being able to keep both Witten and Romo (and maybe not even keep one of them).

I'm not trying to be a smart ### here but I've already answered this. This off-season is no different than the past 3 or 4 off-seasons for the Dallas Cowboys. There's a reason Jerry Jones has won executive of the year a couple of times over the past several seasons.

1 person likes this

On 2/16/2017 at 3:48 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

If all you're getting for Romo is a fifth round pick then no way in hell do I release him. IMHO his ### should sit on the bench for the next two years.  I don't feel at all guilty about saying that because the Cowboys have given him $100 million over the course of his career. 

Not only what you said but I'd also have an open offseason for the starting job

On 2/17/2017 at 9:41 AM, dhockster said:

Steady, if they keep Romo and don't cut Witten, that's $12 million in possible cap savings that the Cowboys won't get. They are already $11 million over the cap right now. The only other players they can cut which will give them significant Cap savings are Free and Lee, and Lee is their best defensive player. Free only saves $5 million against the cap. The only other way for the Cowboys to get under the cap is to redo a bunch of contracts and defer a bunch of salary through signing bonuses. While they are likely to do some of that anyway (Jerry has done it before) I don't see the Cowboys being able to keep both Witten and Romo (and maybe not even keep one of them).

Redid Smith and Frederick yesterday. ~5.5 mil under the cap at the moment

2 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Redid Smith and Frederick yesterday. ~5.5 mil under the cap at the moment

I said they were likely to do that. I still don't see them keeping both Romo and Witten.

I know you and the rest of the NFC east are tired of seeing a plodding old white guy with bad hair get wide open on crucial downs and somehow get better at breaking tackles and catching after 32 but Witten is not going anywhere. 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I know you and the rest of the NFC east are tired of seeing a plodding old white guy with bad hair get wide open on crucial downs and somehow get better at breaking tackles and catching after 32 but Witten is not going anywhere. 

I said I didn't see them keeping both Witten and Romo. With the restructured deals, I think they do plan to keep Witten. So I think Romo gets released. If the Cowboys do keep Romo and Witten I will bow to your intimate knowledge of Jerry Jones' brain.

9 minutes ago, dhockster said:

I said I didn't see them keeping both Witten and Romo. With the restructured deals, I think they do plan to keep Witten. So I think Romo gets released. If the Cowboys do keep Romo and Witten I will bow to your intimate knowledge of Jerry Jones' brain.

Yeah it looks like I was reading things wrong and I guess it makes sense to cut Romo. 

Ill ask Jerry over the next eight ball.