Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabertooth

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo?

724 posts in this topic

1. Cowboys hate and by proxy Jerry Jones hate. 2. Like any QB without a Super Bowl, people need someone to blame and that's usually the QB. 3. Banged hot Jessica Simpson and Carrie Underwood - hate hate hate hate!

This./thread

In every single interview he talks about getting better. "We just need to get better"..."We're just trying to get better"..."if we can just get better we'll be fine". Every interview. It's eery how often he uses that phrase. I'm beginning to think he's losing his mind.

And with all the "getting better" he seems to be trying to do...he never does...and his offense never does...it seemingly gets worse. :confused:

In every single interview he talks about getting better. "We just need to get better"..."We're just trying to get better"..."if we can just get better we'll be fine". Every interview. It's eery how often he uses that phrase. I'm beginning to think he's losing his mind.And with all the "getting better" he seems to be trying to do...he never does...and his offense never does...it seemingly gets worse. :confused:

This is our own fault. How quickly people forget that Romo was once well-known for being the rare jovial, straight-shooter in interviews. And, much like Rex Ryan, everyone loved it.....when they were winning. But as soon as they started losing everyone (people here just as much as the media) began heavily criticizing him for not "saying the right things". The result is that we get yet another boring interview drone that people claimed is what they wanted.

In every single interview he talks about getting better. "We just need to get better"..."We're just trying to get better"..."if we can just get better we'll be fine". Every interview. It's eery how often he uses that phrase. I'm beginning to think he's losing his mind.And with all the "getting better" he seems to be trying to do...he never does...and his offense never does...it seemingly gets worse. :confused:

This is our own fault. How quickly people forget that Romo was once well-known for being the rare jovial, straight-shooter in interviews. And, much like Rex Ryan, everyone loved it.....when they were winning. But as soon as they started losing everyone (people here just as much as the media) began heavily criticizing him for not "saying the right things". The result is that we get yet another boring interview drone that people claimed is what they wanted.
:goodposting: Same with our politicians. If we jump on them every time hey speak their mind, they will adapt and give us pablum cliches instead of real answers.Also see can newton for the same phenomena.

Because he's the Dallas cowboys qb, and they aren't winning superbowls.

Or even winning playoff games. When you're QB of 'America's Team' you gotta do better than one playoff win in 6 years - especially when you're a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

Because people hate the Cowboys.

They do.But that's not the reason for the criticism of Romo. Cowboys fans are tough on him too

How about four interception games? And five interception games?And late season choke-ups?It seems like every year he gets worse.How many total turnovers does Romo have? This year and last year - How many?Tell you this much, the Cowboys are currently between KC (Cassell) and Jax (Gabbert) in fantasy football points allowed to opposing defenses. Now: compare their receiving corps.He was a free agent signing third string quarterback from East Illinois whom Sean Payton himself coached up and built a system around and nobody's been able to drive the damn thing without him. End of story.

vice president Stephen Jones said his confidence in Romo remains very high -- so much so that he remains focused on signing the 10-year veteran to a contract extension to ensure that he retires as a member of the Cowboys.Jones has begun preliminary negotiations with Romo's representatives in hopes of getting a new deal done before his contract expires at the end of next season."We still feel that way," Jones said. "We've got a lot of confidence in Tony. Tony has a lot of confidence in himself. He is going to be fine. He is not the problem."

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/11/01/4382238/cowboys-coach-brass-still-put.html#storylink=cpyActually the more you look at it, the more it looks like no one will simply knock on the door and tell the Big Guy he's wrong and has been wrong all long. Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Tony Romo is a great "Stat QB" but Tony has a proven 7-8 year track record of turning the ball over in crucial times of the game. Over and over again. Todays game ended the way we thought it would end.

Edited by Da Guru

Career in a nutshell today. Game of his life as the announcers pronounced throughout the 3rd Q/Early 4th and then he does exactly what he has his entire career.

Maybe if the Dallas D would step up once in a while he might not have to play the game of his career every game. The guy puts up near 30 TD's and over 4000 yards a year and he is the scapegoat every single year.

5 people like this

Maybe if the Dallas D would step up once in a while he might not have to play the game of his career every game. The guy puts up near 30 TD's and over 4000 yards a year and he is the scapegoat every single year.

Sack and an Int deep inside his own territory 48-48 all, he looked like Ryan Tannehill on that last series. He always makes the worst decisions at the most crucial moments of games...it has happened to him again and again.

1 person likes this

Sack and an Int deep inside his own territory 48-48 all, he looked like Ryan Tannehill on that last series. He always makes the worst decisions at the most crucial moments of games...it has happened to him again and again.

I agree--but the decisions that his coaches made to not let the broncos score immediately after the int was almost as bad as the int itself. You have a qb who is having one of the best games a qb has had in the history of the nfl--you have 3 targets (dez, williams, witten) who each have over 100 yards receiving. You're having no problems moving the ball--and if you let them score immediately--you are down 7 points with around 90 seconds left with at least one timeout to go. I would much rather take the odds of going for overtime--than prater missing a chip shot field goal. My main point is that the dallas coaching staff could have put the team in a better situation even after the int was thrown.

:rolleyes:

Edited by JHuber77

Why are you rolling your eyes? This is Romo's MO.

+1. As is always the case with Romo, Dallas wouldn't have been even close to in the game if he hadn't put up an absurdly great performance the rest of the day. If he threw his 1 pick in the first quarter and Dallas was already down 14 and out of the game in the fourth quarter, people would like him better.

Because this mentality is just like most people in Dallas. Like I stated before, the guy is a very serviceable QB and puts up enough numbers for Dallas to win every year, the team around him does not most of the time. The last time I checked football was a team game. I'm not dismissing the fact that he has made some errors but to place the blame on him time and time again is just ludicrous.

This is not a 1 game blunder..this is a proven track record of prime time blunders..

Although he did win me my FF game today..and I love him as my FF QB.

Edited by Da Guru

People that keep excusing Romo's play in crucial situations do not understand the psychology of sports.

The very fact that he was having his best game ever but still did what he always does just further proves the point.

2 people like this

This is not a 1 game blunder..this is a proven track record of prime time blunders..

Although he did win me my FF game today..and I love him as my FF QB.

I too like to thank Tony. He got me 65 points and sealed the win for my team.

People that keep excusing Romo's play in crucial situations do not understand the psychology of sports.

The very fact that he was having his best game ever but still did what he always does just further proves the point.

He's no Matt Schaub

The previous drives should have been the game winners! Cant be that down on Romo tonight.

He's no Matt Schaub

:lmao::lmao:

Because people like Winners and time and time again when he is needed to make plays to win we witness meltdowns

Because people like Winners and time and time again when he is needed to make plays to win we witness meltdowns

I think Romo played fantastic. The Cowboys would never have been in that game if it weren't for him. He led that offense to 48 points. He threw a pick, but so did Manning. I don't care when the picks were thrown. The offense didn't lose the game for the Cowboys.

I think Romo played fantastic. The Cowboys would never have been in that game if it weren't for him. He led that offense to 48 points. He threw a pick, but so did Manning. I don't care when the picks were thrown. The offense didn't lose the game for the Cowboys.

The second half was basically a flag football game,,passing every down and the key was going to be what QB was going to make the big mistake in crunch time...Romo made the big mistake...

The second half was basically a flag football game,,passing every down and the key was going to be what QB was going to make the big mistake in crunch time...Romo made the big mistake...

what other QB would have even been in that game in the first place...................other than Rodgers, Brees, and Brady.

ROmo played fantastic

This is ridiculous.

what other QB would have even been in that game in the first place...................other than Rodgers, Brees, and Brady.

ROmo played fantastic

You think only future HoF types are who you should compare Romo with?

Because this mentality is just like most people in Dallas. Like I stated before, the guy is a very serviceable QB and puts up enough numbers for Dallas to win every year, the team around him does not most of the time. The last time I checked football was a team game. I'm not dismissing the fact that he has made some errors but to place the blame on him time and time again is just ludicrous.

I agree with this. The blame should be on Demarco Murray. His terrible whiff of a block that turned into a holding penalty caused the INT. Romo threw a nice pass to Bryant that would have had them almost at midfield and instead they are 1st and 20 near the goal line. It wasn't a good pass on the INT, but Romo is thinking that he HAS to get a first down or what happened will happen, i.e. Denver scores and there isn't enough time to come back. With as bad as his defense was getting ripped apart, Romo has to win the game on that posession and that holding penalty basically lost them 35 yards and put Romo in a hole.

What about Brady? Threw yet another game killing INT today to end it. The only player that has played worse late in games the last 5 or so years than Brady is Romo.

Given that early in his career, Brady was once regarded as the most clutch player in the game, what happened to suddenly make him one of the most un-clutch players? Did his psychology suddenly change or was it just statistical variance?

Stuff happens.

People have short memories.

I recall one Peyton Manning throwing an overtime interception only nine months ago and getting vilified in the media.

DENVER – The final pass of Peyton Manning's marvelous comeback season ended up in the arms of a Baltimore Ravens defensive back.

Manning, Denver's 36-year-old quarterback, played five full quarters in frigid temperatures Saturday, threw three touchdown passes, including one that gave Denver a lead midway through the fourth quarter, but this is what we'll remember:

Manning, again, faltered in the playoffs.

Manning's overtime interception -- his third turnover of the game -- led to the Ravens' game-winning field goal nearly two minutes into the second overtime period, as the Ravens won the AFC divisional playoff game, 38-35, and Manning fell to 9-11 in postseason games in his career. More importantly to the Broncos, Manning is now 0-1 as Denver's quarterback in the playoffs.

"Bad throw," Manning said. "Probably the decision wasn't great, either. I thought I had an opening, and I didn't get enough on it, and I was trying to make a play and certainly a throw I'd like to have back."

Edited by PhantomJB

What about Brady? Threw yet another game killing INT today to end it. The only player that has played worse late in games the last 5 or so years than Brady is Romo.

Given that early in his career, Brady was once regarded as the most clutch player in the game, what happened to suddenly make him one of the most un-clutch players? Did his psychology suddenly change or was it just statistical variance?

Probably age and general lack of talent at the receiver postion this season....but when you are wearing 3 SuperBowl Rings and been to a couple of others you get some slack.

Career in a nutshell today. Game of his life as the announcers pronounced throughout the 3rd Q/Early 4th and then he does exactly what he has his entire career.

Again today, even Rodney Harrison said the last interception was on Romo.

I love watching Romo play QB, it's fun but he just doesn't deliver in the clutch.

Today's loss was a collaborative effort. Dallas was winning by 3 plus Tds at half and Murray was running all over the place. In the 2nd half, Dallas ran the ball 4 times, that is horrible coaching.

The defense is the worst in the NFL, asking them to step up and make a play when the game is on the line is comical. They are truly brutal and their inability to nail draft picks shows up again as they have no depth.

Tony Romo knew that game was on the line and had the lead and he checked out of a run to throw that 1st pick. Horrible decision, the loss is on him as much as any. He deserves the credit he gets for this loss.

Romo in general takes too much blame for the COwboy's woes.....but he deserves a bunch of it today.

Try searching Romo's name here.

There are 8 pages of Romo threads going back over the years.

Titles like, "Romo's pick" and "why all the Romo hate" and "Romo chokes" and "Romo fumble."

Look, I won't kid you, I love seeing the Cowboys lose, but everyone has to admit this is a great franchise that is being over-controlled into mediocrity by its owner. If the Cowboys had even a merely decent owner who took this situation over now, he would (1) get a new GM, (2) get a new coaching staff, (3) trade Romo to a young team trying to get some veteran stability at QB before the draft, and start over in what is likely the best QB draft in a long time.

Cowboy fans must be disgusted because none of this is is going to happen. Maybe they cut Garrett and the staff loose, but that would be wrong, and really just compound problems, if they don't get rid of the GM - that is where the problems start. The Cowboys are going to be stuck with JJ for a loooonnnggg time, and it's just going to get worse, I think he'll eventually turn into the later-years Al Davis only much much sooner than Al Davis did. And after that.... JJ Jr., Stephen, can take over. And repeat.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
1 person likes this

Because he turned me into a newt.