Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabertooth

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo?

569 posts in this topic

Today's loss was a collaborative effort. Dallas was winning by 3 plus Tds at half and Murray was running all over the place. In the 2nd half, Dallas ran the ball 4 times, that is horrible coaching.

The defense is the worst in the NFL, asking them to step up and make a play when the game is on the line is comical. They are truly brutal and their inability to nail draft picks shows up again as they have no depth.

Tony Romo knew that game was on the line and had the lead and he checked out of a run to throw that 1st pick. Horrible decision, the loss is on him as much as any. He deserves the credit he gets for this loss.

Blame can be equally assigned in any given game but unfortunately for Romo, the importance of different positions is not equally weighted. Amazing things have been done by various teams over the years to restock/retool defenses and even o-lines fairly quickly but QB is a different matter. It should be "go? / no go?" decision time for him (The proverbial "Is he the guy?" question) and I don't know how anyone can conclude that he is at this point.

Game of inches.......Romo escapes Mathews, and thows just slightly behind Austin. He completes that pass, its a TD. There was no one behind Austin. I think it was the right call, he just didnt make the throw.

I maintain that Romo is not the problem. He's got his faults, of course. But Jerrah is a horrible GM. Thats where it starts. The coaching staff is bad at game management. The defense wasnt very good at full strength. At the strength they are currently, arguably the worst in the NFL.

How Cowboy fans can excuse that pass to Austin that was picked is unbelievable to me. It's classic Romo, not knowing the circumstances of the game. Just like the previous week when the entire offense around him clearly had no clue what was going on during the 4th and 9 play but rather than call a time out on the games most critical play he just powers thru it and throws one into the dirt for a turnover.

Take the sack or throw the ball away. Just about any play was a better option than throwing over the middle late with you're feet way out of position and that stage of the game.

mainly cause he is a cowboy.. any other team he'd be seen in a different light.

think about it.. an undrafted kid from eastern illinois starting in the nfl.. started from the bottom now we here.

instead nothing but egg on his face

How Cowboy fans can excuse that pass to Austin that was picked is unbelievable to me. It's classic Romo, not knowing the circumstances of the game. Just like the previous week when the entire offense around him clearly had no clue what was going on during the 4th and 9 play but rather than call a time out on the games most critical play he just powers thru it and throws one into the dirt for a turnover.

Take the sack or throw the ball away. Just about any play was a better option than throwing over the middle late with you're feet way out of position and that stage of the game.

Ok, long time Dallas fan and Romo fan.

However, I agree with most posts about him not making great decisions in critical times.

We all love him when he single handidly escapes and throws a great pass and/or TD.

Yesterday was not that day. He did what he normally does and it didn't work.

#1 based on the clock, he should have stayed with the run play. Even if they boxed that side like he said, let Murray worry about getting the yards.

#2 he was under pressure and could have thrown it away and lived for another play. It wasn't 4th down and a last chance play.

#3 he saw Austin one on one and could have been a hero IF he led Austin on the play(assuming Austin catches it)Austin had his guy beat.

#4 he was not set and threw the pass awkwardly without enough power on it to get it in front of Austin.

I personally think he tried too hard to win it there because he just saw the defense give up 4 consecutive drives to GB to put him in the position he was in. He would never say it, but he can win the game or let the defense stop GB if they don't get a 1st. What would you think he was thinking? I'm going to win it and not let GB get the ball back. Oops, didn't work out.

Edited by BigDave

Try searching Romo's name here.

There are 8 pages of Romo threads going back over the years.

Titles like, "Romo's pick" and "why all the Romo hate" and "Romo chokes" and "Romo fumble."

Look, I won't kid you, I love seeing the Cowboys lose, but everyone has to admit this is a great franchise that is being over-controlled into mediocrity by its owner. If the Cowboys had even a merely decent owner who took this situation over now, he would (1) get a new GM, (2) get a new coaching staff, (3) trade Romo to a young team trying to get some veteran stability at QB before the draft, and start over in what is likely the best QB draft in a long time.

Cowboy fans must be disgusted because none of this is is going to happen. Maybe they cut Garrett and the staff loose, but that would be wrong, and really just compound problems, if they don't get rid of the GM - that is where the problems start. The Cowboys are going to be stuck with JJ for a loooonnnggg time, and it's just going to get worse, I think he'll eventually turn into the later-years Al Davis only much much sooner than Al Davis did. And after that.... JJ Jr., Stephen, can take over. And repeat.

I missed your post before. :goodposting:

Its obvious that with each failure, JJ is more driven to get the Cowboys back to glory. He will never give up. Unfortunately, he's just not a good GM. That is our reality, and it sucks!...............Is Barry Switzer available? :mellow:

Game of inches.......Romo escapes Mathews, and thows just slightly behind Austin. He completes that pass, its a TD. There was no one behind Austin. I think it was the right call, he just didnt make the throw.

I maintain that Romo is not the problem. He's got his faults, of course. But Jerrah is a horrible GM. Thats where it starts. The coaching staff is bad at game management. The defense wasnt very good at full strength. At the strength they are currently, arguably the worst in the NFL.

Not the problem...interesting. You just admit that he had the right call...but couldn't make the throw. Something that he seems to struggle with often.

That seems like he is a huge huge part of the problem.

Because he's awful. People complain about Brees being a stat-whore but at least Brees wins.

Dallas gave up TDs on all five GB possessions in the 2nd half. They're last in the league in yards allowed per game, and something like 26th in pts allowed per game.

I don't understand how a QB that has a 3:1 TD/INT ratio and a top 11 passing grade per PFF can get as much crap as he does when he's doing more to put his team in a position to win than the majority of his teammates. With a credible defense, Dallas is in the playoffs right now. Probably last year as well.

Dallas gave up TDs on all five GB possessions in the 2nd half. They're last in the league in yards allowed per game, and something like 26th in pts allowed per game.

I don't understand how a QB that has a 3:1 TD/INT ratio and a top 11 passing grade per PFF can get as much crap as he does when he's doing more to put his team in a position to win than the majority of his teammates. With a credible defense, Dallas is in the playoffs right now. Probably last year as well.

Because if Dal simply runs the ball in the second half GB doesn't even have time to score 5 times. Also, if Romo doesn't throw 2 awful picks and take another awful sack they don't have time to score 5 times.

Because he's statistically the best QB over the last 5-7 who hasn't won a title, has had a bad playoff record in general, and has lost a number of regular season games in epic fashion.

Aside from Staubach and Aikman, he's gotta be the next best QB in Cows history.

True, but even with the horrid defense, they had a good chance of winning until those picks. The defense will have to be addressed during the offseason, very few jobs on that side of the ball are safe.

I don't see Romo going anywhere, with a good defense, he's good enough to win games. He's just not good enough to win games all on his own.

Because he's statistically the best QB over the last 5-7 who hasn't won a title, has had a bad playoff record in general, and has lost a number of regular season games in epic fashion.

Aside from Staubach and Aikman, he's gotta be the next best QB in Cows history.

Meredith and Danny White were better.

The Cowboys all time history doesn't go much further in terms of long time decent starters after these guys, except for maybe LeBaron and (in my personal opinion) that's the only one Romo ranks ahead of.

That's still a long list though. They still have more very good (Romo) to HOF franchise QBs in their history than most teams.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

CAR, SF, CIN, IND, and MIA are all currently holding down playoffs spots with clearly worse QB play.

Even the best QBs make crushing mistakes. Brees threw two terrible picks yesterday against the Rams, and his team lost. Last year he threw 19 picks and had a 2.3 TD:INT ratio. Of course, the NO defense was epically bad last year as well. Which do you think most people would say was more to blame for their 7-9 season?

Here's my take. Many Dallas fans have no hope their defense will make a play or a stop when it's needed to win a game. They also don't have any confidence in their coaching or front office. All their hope is in the offense, and Romo is the guy who drives that bus. So it doesn't matter as much (emotionally) if the defense sucks, or if the offensive line sucks, or if the playcalling sucks, or if the drafting sucks because nobody has much hope that it won't.

When the offense (i.e. Romo) doesn't get it done, though, well then things get angsty because there was actually an expectation for something better.

Edited by EastonBlues22

Not the problem...interesting. You just admit that he had the right call...but couldn't make the throw. Something that he seems to struggle with often.

That seems like he is a huge huge part of the problem.

Im talking about the big picture in Dallas. He's made some bad throws and poor decsions, sure. But, he's also routinely put in tough situations because the defense is so bad.

If Dallas had a better D, this thread would be buried or non-existent.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett isn't worried about Tony Romo's confidence for Week 16.

"I think he’s going to bounce back well," Garrett said Monday. "Tony’s played very well at the end of a lot of games. ... Sometimes he and we haven’t played well at the end of games. We have to find a way to do it on a more consistent basis." Romo's Week 15 pick-a-palooza was direly costly, but far from the only reason Dallas choked away a 26-3 halftime lead. Garrett's decision not to pound away on the ground was far more ruinous. Romo has an excellent Week 16 matchup in the Redskins. He remains a QB1.
Source: ESPN Dallas

Exactly.

People can make excuses for him all they want but in the playoffs:

- Loses to the 9-7 Seahawks 20-21 even with Julius Jones rushing for 112 yards.

- Loses with a 13-3 team at home to the Giants 17-21, completing just 50% of his passes with Barber rushing for 137 yards.

- Blowout loss to the Vikings, this loss was not his fault but he played poorly.

In his lone playoff win against the Eagles, Felix Jones and Choice combined for 30/190 (6.3 YPC) rushing.

Seems silly on a fantasy board to give one crap about what he's done in the NFL playoffs. I don't really give two ####s what he does in week 18 as all my league at done week 16. Unless I'm in a dynasty then I don't want him hurt.

Seems silly on a fantasy board to give one crap about what he's done in the NFL playoffs. I don't really give two ####s what he does in week 18 as all my league at done week 16. Unless I'm in a dynasty then I don't want him hurt.

Seems silly to expect fantasy football participants not to be fans of the NFL who want to talk about the NFL in general, not just about the fantasy aspects.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett believes Tony Romo is still in the prime of his career, and that his arm is "better than ever."

"He hasn’t lost any mobility, ability to get away from people," Garrett said of his 34-year-old quarterback, who is recovering from his second back operation. "We feel like Tony Romo has a lot of years of great football left in him." Due $13.5 million between salary and bonuses this season, Romo is signed through 2019, but has only $7.5 million in fully guaranteed money remaining beyond 2014.

You know what helps you recover from a second back operation? Being a witch.

2 people like this

Rotoworld:

Tony Romo (back surgery) was throwing during Tuesday's minicamp workouts.

Roughly five months removed from the second procedure on his back in as many years, Romo is moving well. "We feel good about Tony's health, first-hand, medically," Jerry Jones said. "His back is everything that we want it to be at this time."

Shows up a Duke basketball game, cheering and wearing shirt as if he is an alum.

In front row of a Mavericks playoff game dipping snuff on national T.V.

Those are 2 douchebaggian moves just this spring that I think help add to his detractors...

1 person likes this

:o omg, the horror.

Seems silly to expect fantasy football participants not to be fans of the NFL who want to talk about the NFL in general, not just about the fantasy aspects.

Weird. If only the NFL had a board.

Rotoworld:

Owner Jerry Jones insisted Johnny Manziel was "never really a consideration" for the Cowboys at the No. 16 overall pick.

It's believed Dallas debated taking Manziel because he was their highest-rated player, but they opted for G/T Zack Martin, and have lost no faith in Tony Romo. "There's no way any quarterback comes in here and beats out Tony Romo," Jones said. "As you well know in here, Romo -- by contract as well as by commitment -- is going to be the quarterback for the Cowboys for several years to come."
Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Owner Jerry Jones insisted Johnny Manziel was "never really a consideration" for the Cowboys at the No. 16 overall pick.

It's believed Dallas debated taking Manziel because he was their highest-rated player, but they opted for G/T Zack Martin, and have lost no faith in Tony Romo. "There's no way any quarterback comes in here and beats out Tony Romo," Jones said. "As you well know in here, Romo -- by contract as well as by commitment -- is going to be the quarterback for the Cowboys for several years to come."
Source: ESPN.com

But mostly by contract.

They can't get out from under that contract now. The Pokes should just keep on drafting defensive and offensive linemen.

:o omg, the horror.

Indeed. There aren't many more disgusting habits.

Rotoworld:

In his nine previous games following a three-interception day, Tony Romo has a 94.2 passer rating.

Romo was out of sorts in the Week 1 loss to the 49ers, tossing three picks in the first 20 minutes. A bounce-back game against the Titans Sunday should surprise no one. He's been especially strong off three-interception performances lately, throwing seven touchdowns against four picks while averaging 279.7 passing yards in the last four instances. Note that Dallas is only a 3.5 point underdog in a game with a healthy over/under of 49.5.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Sep 11 - 9:29 AM