What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bilal Powell (1 Viewer)

MunkLe

Footballguy
Thoughts on this kid? Is he a goal line threat? I see he's the #2 right now but with Green and Tebow in the mix I don't see him getting many touches.

Thoughts on this kid? Is he a goal line threat? I see he's the #2 right now but with Green and Tebow in the mix I don't see him getting many touches.
Powell is, IMO, much more talented than Greene. Unlike Greene he has speed and vision and can work as a 3rd down back. He also does have enough power to be used as a GL back. There was a decent amount of buzz surrounding him at camp..
Bilal Powell is "having a nice camp, even getting some reps with the first team," according to ESPN New York.Shonn Greene is in no danger of losing the Week 1 starting job, but Powell could be nipping at his heels if he reprises his early-season struggles from a year ago. In the meantime, Powell has a pass-protection edge on Joe McKnight in the battle for third-down duties. Coach Rex Ryan suggested Powell's rookie-season struggles are part of a start-slow/finish-strong pattern going back to Louisville.
Bilal Powell has often looked like "the best back on the field" in Jets camp.Coach Rex Ryan has been singling out Powell for praise on a semi-daily basis. "At the rate he's going, it would be a surprise if he doesn't leap-frog Joe McKnight on the depth chart," says beat writer Rich Cimini. We're just as anxious to see if Powell eats into Shonn Greene's workload as the season goes along.
As a Jets fan, I'd like to see him eventually get a shot this year. I think we'll ride Greene from the onset while working in Powell more and more as the year progresses. He's going to be a hot WW add at some point in the year, I can promise you that. Greene is not good enough to hold him off all season long.EDIT: I preemptively grabbed him in a couple of my competitive leagues where we have deep-ish benches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sort of need to start him this week, was gonna drop him for Ogletree but Ill keep him for afew weeks and see how he pans out.

I'm a Jets homer and I would drop him in a heartbeat for Ogletree. Based on what Laurent Robinson did in that role last year, and what Ogletree did in the same role in week one, there is no comparison. Powell shouldn't even be on a roster right now unless you have deeeep benches which you obviously don't or Ogletree would probably already be on a team.

Powell could hold some value if Greene were to get hurt, but while Greene (and Tebow) are healthy he provides zero fantasy football value.

I'm a Jets homer and I would drop him in a heartbeat for Ogletree. Based on what Laurent Robinson did in that role last year, and what Ogletree did in the same role in week one, there is no comparison. Powell shouldn't even be on a roster right now unless you have deeeep benches which you obviously don't or Ogletree would probably already be on a team.Powell could hold some value if Greene were to get hurt, but while Greene (and Tebow) are healthy he provides zero fantasy football value.
I think he is a must own handcuff if you have Greene, but let's not go crazy here. He is still a backup on a team that didn't hardly score all preseason.

I'm a Jets homer and I would drop him in a heartbeat for Ogletree. Based on what Laurent Robinson did in that role last year, and what Ogletree did in the same role in week one, there is no comparison. Powell shouldn't even be on a roster right now unless you have deeeep benches which you obviously don't or Ogletree would probably already be on a team.Powell could hold some value if Greene were to get hurt, but while Greene (and Tebow) are healthy he provides zero fantasy football value.
Totally disagree here. If Jets are to play "smash-mouth" football and run the ball a ton Powell will be heavily involved...he is the 3rd down back and the perenially underachieving Greene'sbackup. Greene is also in a contract year...if he flounders they will give Powell an extended look. Lastly they released the bruiser Terance Gathoway...in my humble opinion a vote of confidence for Powell.

Unless Greene gets hurt, Powell will average less than 5 touches per game (not carries, TOUCHES).

Take that to the bank. So hence what I said earlier, if Greene is not hurt (which he isn't) then Powell is unrosterable. If Greene does get hurt, Powell will be the lead in a Powell/McKnight mix. So he's just like every other backup RB other than a few, unless he's a handcuff, he provides little-to-no value on your roster.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear but Greene (as average as he is) is the guy who will tote the rock. Powell will have plenty of stat lines of 2 carries, 2 receptions, 15 total yards.

As a Jet fan, I was totally unimpressed with him during the pre-season games. He just doesn't appear to have starter talent to me. But then again, neither does Greene.

Jets are going to spend either a lot of money (no idea who is available)or a high draft pick next spring to get a bell cow RB. Nobody on the roster has the talent to do what the Jets want to do with their running game.

To go one step further, and I feel this does help support my previous statements, if you disagree then fine:

I live 10 minutes from MetLife Stadium, one of my 12 men leagues has 4 Jets fans in the league, the other has 6. 4 of the 6 are current or past season ticket holders (including myself) and Powell is not owed in either league.

Take that how you want to. Either way, good luck to all and Merry Fantasy Day!

Right now, Powell looks like a guy who will be the third-down back. For blocking purposes. That's what I keep seeing, hearing, and reading. It may change, but if you're holding him, you're looking many weeks down the road.

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York is projecting Bilal Powell as the Jets' No. 2 running back.
Powell already failed to make a difference in the role last season, but the Jets are low on other options with Mike Goodson's (reserve/did not report list) status unknown. Powell won't be worth a look in fantasy leagues unless injuries thrust him into the Jets' No. 1 job.

Related: Mike Goodson

Source: ESPN New York

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-rex-counting-young-leaders-article-1.1413395

Daily News
Jets Rex Ryan counting on young NY Jets leaders Ryan will turn to veteran leaders Nick Mangold, Antonio Cromartie, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and David Harris to set the course, but it’ll be critical to infuse younger voices. NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 12:21 AM
jets-practice-mini-camp.jpg
Robert Sabo/New York Daily News Second-year linebacker DeMario Davis emerges as one of the new breed of leaders.

CORTLAND — Rex Ryan may not need divine intervention to reverse the Jets’ recent misfortune, but he’ll certainly have to lean on emerging young leaders to help guide a franchise that underwent a radical makeover this offseason.

The Jets replaced 11 starters, including respected veterans Darrelle Revis, Brandon Moore, Mike DeVito and Sione Po’uha, and half of the coaching staff.

“We might not have the best quarterback, we might not have the best receiver,” Ryan said, “The best this, the best that, but each game we head out there, if we have the best team, we’ll win. We’re going to have to go above and beyond. It’s going to take that brotherhood. That’s what we got to cultivate here.”

Ryan will turn to veteran leaders Nick Mangold, Antonio Cromartie, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and David Harris to set the course, but it’ll be critical to infuse younger voices.

“You’re going to have young guys that you need to step up,” Mangold said. “You can’t run a dictatorship.”

Second-year linebacker DeMario Davis emerged as one of the new breed of leaders as an unheralded rookie. Third-year running back Bilal Powell is probably the most influential offensive player nobody knows about. Second-year defensive end/outside linebacker Quinton Coples used Ryan’s offseason reprimand as fuel to take a leadership role.

“Leadership is happening in a magnificent way,” Davis said. “It had to be there at one time when the Jets were going to the AFC Championship. For whatever reason, it kind of fell off. There was a little bit of a lack of leadership last year. But now you have guys that are taking ownership of the team.”

Davis, Powell and Coples are at the forefront, three distinctly different personalities with a common goal to build a new tradition.

jetscol31s-2-web.jpg
Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News Second-year defensive end/outside linebacker Quinton Coples uses Rex Ryan’s offseason reprimand as fuel to take a leadership role.
Davis may have played in only 315 defensive snaps last season, but his limited role didn’t preclude him from speaking up as a rookie. He addressed the team one day in training camp last year and again before its Monday night game against the Texans in Week 5. The Jets were coming off an embarrassing 34-0 loss to the 49ers at home a week earlier. Although Davis was used sparingly up to that point, he didn’t hesitate to speak up.

“A leader doesn’t wait,” Davis said. “I’ve always looked at myself as a leader. If you don’t have leadership, you have no direction . . . or you have a thousand people going in different directions. It’s up to the leaders to pull everybody in that same direction.”

Ryan, who likened Davis’ leadership traits to those of future Hall of Famer Ray Lewis, wasn’t surprised by the linebacker’s decision to address the team.

“He felt in his heart that it was appropriate,” Ryan said. “I’ll tell you what: Guys listened.”

Davis knows that on-field production will bolster his credibility, but his character earned him instant respect among his peers.

“A big part of it is not just doing what you do on the field, but guys being able to trust that you’ll take care of your business off the field,” said Davis, a devout Christian, who is married. “Guys know my character. They would be shocked if I got into some trouble off the field. . . . That creates a respect for you.”

Although Davis is only 24, teammates routinely seek him out for counsel.

“There’s a lot of off-the-field things that you can come to him with,” said safety Josh Bush. “If you have problems that you need guidance on, you can talk to DeMario about that. That’s going to help you in life. If your life is right, then you’ll play better on the field.”

jets-camp.jpg
Robert Sabo/New York Daily News Third-year running back Bilal Powell (r.) might be the most influential offensive player nobody knows about.
Powell’s voice rarely rises above a whisper, but veterans have taken notice of the young running back’s preparation and work ethic.

“When guys watch him on the field, they respect the way he plays the game,” said assistant head coach Anthony Lynn, who’s in charge of running backs. “When we’re in the meeting rooms, you hear guys talk about the way he steps up and picks up the blitzing linebacker or the way he finishes runs or how he rarely makes a mistake. Guys expect that from him now. Bilal is helping set the standard in the offensive meeting room.”

The uncertainty surrounding Mike Goodson, who is mired in legal and personal issues, furthers Powell’s value.

“I’m not looking for a slap on the back,” Powell said. “I take my job seriously and go hard every day. I’m not really the guy to step in the middle of the huddle and go, ‘Whoo-rah!’ and push the other guys around. The way I prepare and the way I go about my business, I think that’s the way I’m a leader.”

“You could say one thing and do another,” he added. “But when you do it, you get everybody else around you seeing what you’re doing. That’s when everybody starts to believe.”

Coples may be a “class clown,” as defensive line coach Karl Dunbar points out, but he learned a valuable lesson this offseason that has helped him realize the importance of leading by example. Ryan publicly chided Coples for slacking off in the weight room, which hit home.

“It’s part of my job that I make sure I get people going and hold everyone accountable,” Coples said of being a leader. “And hold myself accountable as well.”

Ryan hopes that the blend of veteran and young leadership will keep his team together when it experiences turbulence. There’s no minimum age requirement or limit to the number of players who can set the path.

“People generally know what’s right,” Davis said. “Leaders do what’s right. If you do what’s right, people will follow.”

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Mehta saying he's best looking offensive player today. For as much double talk that comes from nyj is that a guy we can trust?

Mehta saying he's best looking offensive player today. For as much double talk that comes from nyj is that a guy we can trust?
Kembrell Thompkins is lighting it up in camp, can we believe that hype?

Also, you could even prolly light it up against the Jets D, or do you not dig deep and factor that stuff in?

I like Ivory, he is a good cuff, but there is a reason why he was not considered for the starting gig and they went and got goodson and Ivory.

If you're got a Saints fan in your league, chances are they'll be picking Powell in the later rounds. We've been burned by the Chris Ivory injury bug once too many. The kid just can't hold-up.

If you're got a Saints fan in your league, chances are they'll be picking Powell in the later rounds. We've been burned by the Chris Ivory injury bug once too many. The kid just can't hold-up.
If Ivory was guy you were counting on before this year, your team has bigger problems.

As a Jet fan, I was totally unimpressed with him during the pre-season games. He just doesn't appear to have starter talent to me. But then again, neither does Greene. Jets are going to spend either a lot of money (no idea who is available)or a high draft pick next spring to get a bell cow RB. Nobody on the roster has the talent to do what the Jets want to do with their running game.
Still sticking by this statement. He's a backup type talent. He's a good blocker, so he'll be on the field for 3rd down passing situations (of which there will be a lot) but I don't think there's any chance he'll be a starting caliber fantasy option. At best, he's a desperation flex option during a bye week.

I think he can be a valuable part of an NFL team, but he's not a play-maker.

If Ivory gets hurt again and Goodson ends up being a non-factor due to his off-field troubles, how much could we expect from Powell? I'm in the middle of drafting in a keeper league, and Powell might actually be one of the "better" RB options available (all the starters, top backups, and top rookies are long gone). I'm thin at RB, so I'm just looking for any Hail Mary that has even the slightest chance of panning out.

If Ivory gets hurt again and Goodson ends up being a non-factor due to his off-field troubles, how much could we expect from Powell? I'm in the middle of drafting in a keeper league, and Powell might actually be one of the "better" RB options available (all the starters, top backups, and top rookies are long gone). I'm thin at RB, so I'm just looking for any Hail Mary that has even the slightest chance of panning out.
If all the backups and rookies are long gone, chances are you are thin, he is at least valuable as a backup, but his talent is pedestrian as far as NFL is concerned. Ivory and Goodson may not be in camp, but if he was something special they would of never went out and got 2 RBs to jump ahead of him in the first place.

Calling Mr. Waldman. Will Mr Matt Waldman please pick up one of the courtesy phones in the Shark Pool? You are needed in the Powell discussion.

If all the backups and rookies are long gone, chances are you are thin, he is at least valuable as a backup, but his talent is pedestrian as far as NFL is concerned. Ivory and Goodson may not be in camp, but if he was something special they would of never went out and got 2 RBs to jump ahead of him in the first place.
i remember hearing exact same argument against Arian Foster in 2010 with Ben Tate and maybe even Derrick Ward. Not sure if the same will apply her but the argument is flawed because teams like to assemble as many players to compete as they can.

i remember hearing exact same argument against Arian Foster in 2010 with Ben Tate and maybe even Derrick Ward. Not sure if the same will apply her but the argument is flawed because teams like to assemble as many players to compete as they can.
K, but I'm still not giving you pick 2.1 for him on our league no matter how many alias you use to type on the side of Powell. If Ivory does not start the situation is a mess. The team stinks and Powell is not a talent, just a body. Your fault you turned down T. Williams, K, Thompkins and a 3rd for him, you'll regret that in due time when you realize that powell is nothing special even if he gets the starting RB job because of injury.

He did well out of a wildcat in the jets scrimmage, you sure are putting unreal amount of weight into that.

From July 2012:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/07/30/coming-of-age-young-vets-to-watch/

RB Bilal Powell, New York Jets: Shonn Greene has failed to live up to expectations and it was most apparent in his second year when the job was his to lose and a step-slower Ladainian Tomlinson was easily the better player. Greene is now in his fourth season and he still doesn’t show the decisiveness, burst, or consistent finishing power that the Jets expected from him. I expected better, too.

Powell is one of my top-20 running backs that I have studied during my seven years of publishing the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. There was barely a whisper about the Jets fourth-round pick during his rookie training camp and when he saw the field during the regular season he averaged 1.6 yards per carry. But with 14 total touches, there’s not much that 1.6 ypc really says.

Unfortunately, there’s so much anecdotal history that suggests that quality NFL running backs at least flash decent stats in limited touches that even intelligent people are quick to write off a back like Powell. Making a judgment call on 14 touches is like picking up 14 pine needles and claiming to know everything about a forest. There’s nothing about this pervading analysis that specifically discussed decision-making, handling assignments, or what specifically the other backs offer that make them better.

I’ve seen enough of Powell to know that when his head isn’t swimming, he has burst, speed, balance, and a physicality that is more powerful than Joe McKnight and more explosive and versatile than Shonn Greene or Terrance Ganaway. Rex Ryan commented Sunday that Powell “showed up” to training camp after the second-year runner impressed several onlookers, including a former NFL scout in attendance. If Powell has made the mental transition, he’s easily the best running back on the Jets squad.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/10/29/the-rsp-blogs-top-20-rb-prospects-2006-2011-part-i/

Powell was #14 on this list, though looking at that list, there are numerous prospects who failed to perform at very high levels in the NFL and are now gone from the league or playing in relative obsurity.

K, but I'm still not giving you pick 2.1 for him on our league no matter how many alias you use to type on the side of Powell. If Ivory does not start the situation is a mess. The team stinks and Powell is not a talent, just a body. Your fault you turned down T. Williams, K, Thompkins and a 3rd for him, you'll regret that in due time when you realize that powell is nothing special even if he gets the starting RB job because of injury.

He did well out of a wildcat in the jets scrimmage, you sure are putting unreal amount of weight into that.
sorry to hear you forgot to take your medication again.As for Powell's value, I'be been offered a 5th and cant get Dunbar/Randle for him/Goodson even if I add a pick. Your offer seems pretty fair

It could be exciting to see a changing of the guard in NY. A backfield with Geno and Powell and one year away from a new head coach not providing a toxic environment.

I believe he has good NFL talent and the makeup that this team in particular needs. Should get chances to shine in the preseason.

From rotoworld

With Chris Ivory (hamstring) out, Bilal Powell played every down with the Jets' first-team offense in Saturday night's scrimmage."[Powell] did run the ball hard," coach Rex Ryan said. "Now, obviously with the opportunity hes been given, hes really taken the reins." Powell toted the rock six times for 41 yards against the Jets' first-team defense. Ivory hasn't practiced since coming up lame on the first day of training camp, and he's always been injury-prone. The Jets would like Ivory to win the starting job, but he can't if he's sitting on the trainer's table. Powell is an ordinary back, but he can pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield. He's worth an add in deeper leagues.

I wonder if mike goodson is even going to come back. Last year powell didnt really impress me much but he has had a year to work things out. He also may be 3 down back which is something to consider

From rotoworld

With Chris Ivory (hamstring) out, Bilal Powell played every down with the Jets' first-team offense in Saturday night's scrimmage."[Powell] did run the ball hard," coach Rex Ryan said. "Now, obviously with the opportunity hes been given, hes really taken the reins." Powell toted the rock six times for 41 yards against the Jets' first-team defense. Ivory hasn't practiced since coming up lame on the first day of training camp, and he's always been injury-prone. The Jets would like Ivory to win the starting job, but he can't if he's sitting on the trainer's table. Powell is an ordinary back, but he can pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield. He's worth an add in deeper leagues.

I wonder if mike goodson is even going to come back. Last year powell didnt really impress me much but he has had a year to work things out. He also may be 3 down back which is something to consider
I have had Powell since he was a rookie in my dynasty league, but I don't hold out much hope for him. Still, Ivory appears injury prone and Goodson is likely MIA. So, it looks like Powell may have one more chance. I would rank him somewhere around RB50; a backup with a good chance at playing time but limited upside.

Rolling_akg said:
It could be exciting to see a changing of the guard in NY. A backfield with Geno and Powell and one year away from a new head coach not providing a toxic environment.

I believe he has good NFL talent and the makeup that this team in particular needs. Should get chances to shine in the preseason.
Did you hit your head, this is horrible thinking.

Changing of the guard? Powell was there last year and they brought in Ivory, who is the starter regardless of how many runs he gets against a poures D in a practice.

Powell is not a good NFL talent and only you and your alias loose circuits, who happened to post 4 minutes before you but neither of you were on at the same time, think Powell is good.

Take the personal stuff somewhere else.

As far as Powell, right now he has a chance at PT. Maybe he takes advantage, maybe he is on the bench again in 3 weeks.

In my mind, he's one of those guys that has proven he doesn't have elite talent so he needs volume. But there have been lesser guys that have been fantasy relevant because they got fed the ball.

Rolling_akg said:

Changing of the guard? Powell was there last year and they brought in Ivory, who is the starter regardless of how many runs he gets against a poures D in a practice.

Powell is not a good NFL talent and only you and your alias loose circuits, who happened to post 4 minutes before you but neither of you were on at the same time, think Powell is good.
did you sit here hitting refresh for the whole 5 minutes because I saw what he wrote and almost posted so you obviously aren't as tech savvy as you thought or you just like to make things up to fit your argument. I'd bet on a little of both. If I was really trying to mess with you, I could always log in with my kindle, my laptop, and my phone with 3 different aliases, but there really is no reason to do that. Why would we create aliases just to attempt to pump up Bilal Powell's value? That's your deal, not mine. The people in my leagues don't base their value off people from a message board, they make up their own minds. I've already said that the deal you offered to him was a good one. I would probably take it. I have no idea why you make each thread about you. Probably have some narcissistic tendencies in addition to your schizophrenia. You really should get some help..

Rolling_akg said:

did you sit here hitting refresh for the whole 5 minutes because I saw what he wrote and almost posted so you obviously aren't as tech savvy as you thought or you just like to make things up to fit your argument. I'd bet on a little of both. If I was really trying to mess with you, I could always log in with my kindle, my laptop, and my phone with 3 different aliases, but there really is no reason to do that. Why would we create aliases just to attempt to pump up Bilal Powell's value? That's your deal, not mine. The people in my leagues don't base their value off people from a message board, they make up their own minds. I've already said that the deal you offered to him was a good one. I would probably take it. I have no idea why you make each thread about you. Probably have some narcissistic tendencies in addition to your schizophrenia. You really should get some help..
No I just looked at the time stamp.

I'm sure Rolling AKG will respond any second, well he may wait a bit now, then post pretending he is not the same person.

What are the predictions of Powell this year?? Is Ivory FOR SURE the #1 RB? Anyone? RBBC? (Most likely?)

Im curious what a Jets homer has to say... I traded 6.02 in our Rookie Draft this year for Powell (And was stoked. Ive never said yes to an offer so quick. Not even a second after he said Bilal Powell, I said yea. lol)

Its a 20 team dynasty league 30 players/team... The best RB out on the WW right now is Leon Washington. (Who I like as a deep sleeper, via injuries... I could use the roster space.)

I'm sure Rolling AKG will respond any second, well he may wait a bit now, then post pretending he is not the same person.
You rang? I sold b Powell in one league, but I do think he still has sneaky value, especially redraft. He is a jack of all type IMO. - if they ground and pound, then maybe...

how much longer do the jets put up with mcknight and his BS. Powell might be the only thing they have, who else are they gonna use, Chad Spann?

rotoworld

Jets RB Joe McKnight was arrested in New Jersey last week for outstanding warrants after police pulled him over for speeding and changing lanes without signaling.
McKnight was arrested on July 30, on a Jets day off from camp. Police found he had blown off a $200 ticket for failing to produce an insurance card, and another $120 fine for failing to observe a traffic signal. Apparently, McKnight obeys traffic law about as well as he plays running back. He suffered a concussion at Friday's practice, and has not participated in training camp since. Aug 6 - 12:49 AM

You rang? I sold b Powell in one league, but I do think he still has sneaky value, especially redraft. He is a jack of all type IMO. - if they ground and pound, then maybe...
Should've held him one more day, even though McKnight sucks, he still was somebody taking touches in camp, now all they have is Powell and Ivory if he can stay healthy.

Concussion, ha, he got arrested and they play it off as an injury.

I dropped him in my dynasty league in favor of Anthony Dixon last week for cut down date. :violin:

Two reasons:

He has been unimpressive to my eyeball test when I have seen him play, and he plays for the Jets.

So he is now available in my dynasty rookie/fa draft and he is 1st string. I wish I hadn't.

I dropped him in my dynasty league in favor of Anthony Dixon last week for cut down date. :violin:

Two reasons:

He has been unimpressive to my eyeball test when I have seen him play, and he plays for the Jets.

So he is now available in my dynasty rookie/fa draft and he is 1st string. I wish I hadn't.
Don't feel bad, he is still a backup. Ivory is the guy for better or for worse when healthy.

While the media distorts everything, I feel it is more simple as they are partly responsible for not letting Ivory practice as his injury is. Ivory tweaked it and they are not even risking putting him through a reg practice regardless. Why would you risk the only legitimate talent on the team, I hope Ivory sits out until week 3, runs 5 plays and gets out. Powell is a Top 3 cuff to own for Ivory, if not the most important RB cuff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-powell-opening-eyes-article-1.1418429

Bilal Powell continues to impress at NY Jets camp On Monday, Mark Sanchez led the best drive of the day in practice, but the big gain came on a Powell run. The duo ultimately connected on a 6-yard TD pass. By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, August 5, 2013, 10:46 PM
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-powell-opening-eyes-article-1.1418429#ixzz2bBg0I5tf
CORTLAND — Bilal Powell looks better and better with each passing day, especially compared to his fellow running backs who are either riding the bikes or haven’t shown up for training camp.

On Monday, Mark Sanchez led the best drive of the day in practice, but the big gain came on a Powell run. The duo ultimately connected on a 6-yard TD pass.

“I think Bilal (Powell) is probably one of the most underrated players in the league,” Sanchez said. “He’s a hell of a player and he’s just coming into his own, just trying to get comfortable, and he’s lighting this camp on fire.”

Powell was the player of the game in Saturday night’s Green and White scrimmage.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-powell-opening-eyes-article-1.1418429#ixzz2bBfvMZpA

:doh:

:doh:
OMG!!! SICK BURN, YOU GOT ME, typing on the phone sucks sometimes.

But... You are not a troll right? Is that how you show your football knowledge.

FF QUEEN, being as queeny as ever.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on you showing your worth to this board?

I'm still pissed that in order to save face on their 4th round pick the Jets kept McKnight over Danny Woodhead who clearly outperformed him in the camp and has gone on to prove he's a legit NFL RB - something McKnight hasn't done to date.

Ivory should be back soon and he's clearly the starter, the team has said nothing but that - in fact they have started playing him up as a 3 down back (I do have doubts about that happening though).

Goodsosn seems to be as good as gone. Yesterday Ryan said he's not expecting him back imminently. Powell didn't look all that bad last season, but is likely a stop gap starting option at best and likely a career backup. If Spann doesn't impress, perhaps they bring in one of the veterans still haging aroun unsigned like Turner, Benson, or Wells - but given the state of the team they may just ride out what they have. It's hard to ignore Ivory's injury history, so Powell could have some value if he gets some starts here and there, but I wouldn't expect him to be super productive in a starting role, one would just need to hope he punches in a TD.

I'm still pissed that in order to save face on their 4th round pick the Jets kept McKnight over Danny Woodhead who clearly outperformed him in the camp and has gone on to prove he's a legit NFL RB - something McKnight hasn't done to date.

Ivory should be back soon and he's clearly the starter, the team has said nothing but that - in fact they have started playing him up as a 3 down back (I do have doubts about that happening though).

Goodsosn seems to be as good as gone. Yesterday Ryan said he's not expecting him back imminently. Powell didn't look all that bad last season, but is likely a stop gap starting option at best and likely a career backup. If Spann doesn't impress, perhaps they bring in one of the veterans still haging aroun unsigned like Turner, Benson, or Wells - but given the state of the team they may just ride out what they have. It's hard to ignore Ivory's injury history, so Powell could have some value if he gets some starts here and there, but I wouldn't expect him to be super productive in a starting role, one would just need to hope he punches in a TD.
ya, Woodhead would likely be taking 1st team reps right now and a good bit of last year as well.

As far as Powell is concerned I think he really had his shot to be the guy last year and instead of getting him in the mix they went out and signed Ivory and Goodson. He's getting the ball because he's the only healthy guy but as soon as Ivory is healthy enough to play Powell is back to the bench. The upside of a below average RB (Powell) behind probably the worst QB (whoever it is) likely on the worst offense (maybe the worst team) in the leauge just isn't that attractive. I'd rather spend that roster spot on a guy with more talent that could be a stud if he gets the job (B. Brown, Tate, etc.) as opposed to Powell.

ya, Woodhead would likely be taking 1st team reps right now and a good bit of last year as well.

As far as Powell is concerned I think he really had his shot to be the guy last year and instead of getting him in the mix they went out and signed Ivory and Goodson. He's getting the ball because he's the only healthy guy but as soon as Ivory is healthy enough to play Powell is back to the bench. The upside of a below average RB (Powell) behind probably the worst QB (whoever it is) likely on the worst offense (maybe the worst team) in the leauge just isn't that attractive. I'd rather spend that roster spot on a guy with more talent that could be a stud if he gets the job (B. Brown, Tate, etc.) as opposed to Powell.
I am hanging onto Powell because right now he is the last man standing, and a RB who starts a game is worth something-even Shonn Greene had good value the last couple years and I think Powell is probably as good or better. But overall, I think this analysis is right. He did have his chance and didn't show much. As a non-elite pick, guys like Powell usually only get one chance. He doesn't have "it," that's for sure. If Ivory gets hurt, he will have value in those games this season and that's about it.

Its only a preseason game, but he looked better than Ivory tonight and Powell seems to have the support of his coaches and teammates. Reports are he has been one of the teams best leaders throughout camp.

Users who are viewing this thread