What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bilal Powell (1 Viewer)

The stat line is very impressive (although I didn't see the game), granted vs a poor run defense...but he's also been pretty solid all year so far and ivory seems unspectacular (and now injured).

The jets offense is waking up and it looks like Powell is the clear lead back, the starter, in on 3rd downs and at the gl.

It looks like his owners may have hit fantasy hold for a late rd pick that has turned into possible consistent rb2 production so long as he is healthy ROW.

Am I missing something?

The stat line is very impressive (although I didn't see the game), granted vs a poor run defense...but he's also been pretty solid all year so far and ivory seems unspectacular (and now injured).

The jets offense is waking up and it looks like Powell is the clear lead back, the starter, in on 3rd downs and at the gl.

It looks like his owners may have hit fantasy hold for a late rd pick that has turned into possible consistent rb2 production so long as he is healthy ROW.

Am I missing something?
Ivory is not out for the season and Goodson comes back soon. this will likely be his high-water mark in carries, though I think he has earned a larger share going forward even when those 2 come back. I think he averages 14 carries, 2 or 3 catches per game

Am I missing something?
Ivory is not out for the season and Goodson comes back soon. this will likely be his high-water mark in carries, though I think he has earned a larger share going forward even when those 2 come back. I think he averages 14 carries, 2 or 3 catches per game
The only problem I see with this analysis is that he was already averaging something like 15 touches a game. If you believe that he's earned a larger role than surely it would go up from that. Also, Ivory is as fragile as they come, I would not put it past him to miss next weeks tilt vs. TEN. It's actually quite possible that Powell ends up being a high volume RB for the next couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Am I missing something?
The only problem I see with this analysis is that he was already averaging something like 15 touches a game. If you believe that he's earned a larger role than surely it would go up from that. Also, Ivory is as fragile as they come, I would not put it past him to miss next weeks tilt vs. TEN. It's actually quite possible that Powell ends up being a high volume RB for the next couple weeks.
next couple weeks I agree with you. I was talking more long-term there are several reasons he won't be a bellcow all season long

I could see him with 18-19 carries and 3-4 catches week 3 against TEN. A tougher D than BUF, for sure, and on the road. I see him at around 70-80 yards rushing and 20-25 yards receiving, based on his likely averages. Coin flip that he scores a TD. That's about what he is, a matchup RB with some good opportunity right now.

I could see him with 18-19 carries and 3-4 catches week 3 against TEN. A tougher D than BUF, for sure, and on the road. I see him at around 70-80 yards rushing and 20-25 yards receiving, based on his likely averages. Coin flip that he scores a TD. That's about what he is, a matchup RB with some good opportunity right now.
that's not a matchup RB that's a no-doubt start. any RB getting 18 carries and 3.5 catches and a 50/50 TD shot is scoring probably 15 in a PPR

that's not a matchup RB that's a no-doubt start. any RB getting 18 carries and 3.5 catches and a 50/50 TD shot is scoring probably 15 in a PPR
He lacks a big play ability that makes me less excited about him, and as always it depends on roster, league scoring and lineup requirements, etc. whether he's a no-doubt start in any particular league.

I know nothing about this guy and with Ridley and Wilson crapping the bed, it's time to do my homework on him..
He's not a special talent but solid in nearly all aspects of the game.

Not even remotely surprising.

How do you guys feel about the TEN match-up this week. It's definitely not nearly as friendly as the BUF match-up.

I'm thinking he'll total 80ish yards and grab 2-4 balls per usual.

I know nothing about this guy and with Ridley and Wilson crapping the bed, it's time to do my homework on him..
He's not a special talent but solid in nearly all aspects of the game.

Not even remotely surprising.

How do you guys feel about the TEN match-up this week. It's definitely not nearly as friendly as the BUF match-up.

I'm thinking he'll total 80ish yards and grab 2-4 balls per usual.
I waited on my second RB and started Vereen game 1, started Powell the last 2 games.

Ten allowed 102 rushing to SD RBs, 162 vs. HOU and 31 yards vs the steelers.

Opposing backs had 7 rec vs. SD, 4 vs the 2 other opponants.

So if we average those 3 games would be 98 yards and 5 receptions if Powell got 100% of the RB touches. I would think with no Goodson and Ivory you could expect 85-90 to go to Powell?

I think your projection is spot on but I think with more upside than downside.

I also picked up Bolden a couple weeks ago so trying to decide who has more upside this week since I am an underdog with Rodgers on bye this week.

Homeboy is a yardage machine. Even in this game where they are getting drilled and they have nothing going on, he's got 14 points in a PPR.

:thumbup:

had 87 total yards at half but barely touched it in 2nd half. could have had a big game with any sort of QB play but that will be a long-term problem

Just some updates..

Rex doesn't feel as if Goodson is in football shape yet so we probably will be seeing very little of him this Monday at the very least.

Reports were that Ivory got in a "limited" practice for two consecutive days but reports are now surfacing that he didn't practice today and may have actually re-aggravated the injury in Wednesdays practice

Powell seems like a safe bet once again. I would also expect a very fair amount of check downs this week (I also like Winslow) as Holmes is essentially out and Hill hasn't resumed practicing yet.

This is Powell's job all season barring injury, IMO.

Goodson is an explosive receiving threat out of the backfield, so Powell may lose some 3rd down work to him.

Ivory should only be insurance for Powell at this point. He can't stay on the field.

BTW, Powell is quietly tied with Foster for the lead in rushing yards (292) in the AFC. He's been a pleasant surprise. I can't see him just being kicked to the curb after being their most reliable offensive performer to this point.

BTW, Powell is quietly tied with Foster for the lead in rushing yards (292) in the AFC. He's been a pleasant surprise. I can't see him just being kicked to the curb after being their most reliable offensive performer to this point.
Without a doubt. I absolutely love seeing the majority of experts ranking him as a low-end RB1 this week.

Without a doubt. I absolutely love seeing the majority of experts ranking him as a low-end RB1 this week.
Chris Johnson or Powell ros in your opinion?

I'm not optimistic this week. Atlanta should jump up big and the Jets will spend very little of the second half running the ball. Last week's numbers are probably Powell's upside - which weren't awful, but not great either.

He's very active in the passing game. Atlanta, hammering them may not hurt as much as with other backs. And they can be run on.

Chris Johnson or Powell ros in your opinion?
Tough to say as I'd very much rather have Powell over CJ in the short-term and especially in PPR. The problem is that it's quite possible for Goodson to rob Powell of his PPR value down the road in which case I'd be more inclined to want CJ based on volume alone.

I want to believe Powell will have a lock on all three downs for the remainder but I have to acknowledge that it's probably not going to happen.

As an aside, would you believe that CJ has the most carries of all RBs inside the RZ this year? How he hasn't been able to convert is beyond me.

I'm not optimistic this week. Atlanta should jump up big and the Jets will spend very little of the second half running the ball. Last week's numbers are probably Powell's upside - which weren't awful, but not great either.
This is the beauty of three-down backs. Even if NYJ falls behind (I fully expect them to) Powell is still, as RN pointed out, involved in the passing game. Let's see..

Week 1 - 5 targets

Week 2 - 5 targets

Week 3 - 3 targets

Week 4 - 5 targets

He has the 9th most targets amongst RBs.

This is the beauty of three-down backs. Even if NYJ falls behind (I fully expect them to) Powell is still, as RN pointed out, involved in the passing game. Let's see..

Week 1 - 5 targets

Week 2 - 5 targets

Week 3 - 3 targets

Week 4 - 5 targets

We're in agreement. Which is why I'd say his upside is about the same as last week "not awful. not great".

At this point I'm seeing Powell and Martin as quite similar - guaranteed lots of carries, no real competition at this exact moment in time, both good all round. I've got Powell plugged in for Martin on a bye this week and looking at their production thus far it has been very similar.

Amazing that Martin was taken in the first round, and Powell off of the WW last week

Week 1 - 5 targets

Week 2 - 5 targets

Week 3 - 3 targets

Week 4 - 5 targets

We're in agreement. Which is why I'd say his upside is about the same as last week "not awful. not great".
My mistake, I actually misread your post. I agree, although I was also wondering who this Tommy Bohanon character is that ate into some of his targets during garbage time. I wish NYJ could keep this somewhat close but without Holmes and Hill this is looking to be an absolute debacle.

Week 1 - 5 targets

Week 2 - 5 targets

Week 3 - 3 targets

Week 4 - 5 targets

My mistake, I actually misread your post. I agree, although I was also wondering who this Tommy Bohanon character is that ate into some of his targets during garbage time. I wish NYJ could keep this somewhat close but without Holmes and Hill this is looking to be an absolute debacle.
:unsure:

Yeah..it was fun while it lasted. I definitely didn't envision Goodson getting this much work this early but he obviously saps all of Powell's PPR value. He's likely still worth holding onto though as both Goodson and Ivory clearly aren't pictures of perfect health but Powell's future is looking bleak.

Not a RB2 going forward anymore. Back to being a weak flex play, but isn't that what we expected coming into the season? Still roster worthy

Based on his post-game press conference, Rex Ryan loves Bilal Powell. Wouldn't give up on him yet.

link (~6 mins in)

"If Powell's not the most under-rated player in this league, I don't know who is. What a tremendous player."

Powell did have 13 of the 21 touches he, Ivory and Goodson got combined, and he only had 16, 15 and 17 touches in three of their other four games (29 touches in the Buffalo game being the standout), so it's not like this game was that different from the other Jets game from a touches standpoint. But his value definitely drops after seeing how much they liked rotating the RBs (I don't know how many plays each played).

Having watched the game, it appeared that he was clearly the feature back. He was the hurry-up offense back too. As was pointed out above, he did get a majority of the touches.

For a WW or RB4 type, what more can you ask for?

Having watched the game, it appeared that he was clearly the feature back. He was the hurry-up offense back too. As was pointed out above, he did get a majority of the touches.

For a WW or RB4 type, what more can you ask for?
was thinking ivory is injury prone and goodson might be out of the mix. but they insert goodson off the street and he does better than powell. i dunno?

I'd be happy going forward if Powell can get 15-20 touches a game. I like that Ryan singled him out after the game about the job well done.

Goodson can play -- he's always been dynamic in both the running and passing games when given the chance. Much like Ivory, however, he just hasn't been able to stay on the field even in a very limited role. Powell is nothing special IMO, but he's dependable and has no real weaknesses -- he'll end up far and away the most productive RB here at the end of the year, if only by default after the other two guys get hurt again.

The Jets only ran 46 plays this past weekend. If they had run a more "normal amount," Powell would have touched the ball more and been right on line with his season average.

Buy from overreacting Powell owners if possible.

ESPN New York suggests Mike Goodson could be out "awhile" after a fourth-quarter knee injury in Week 6.
Coach Rex Ryan had no updates in his post-game presser, but should on Monday. The Jets are one of the league's more-open teams when it comes to injury info. Goodson finished Sunday's loss to Pittsburgh with five offensive touches.
Buy Powell in PPR if possible.

ESPN New York suggests Mike Goodson could be out "awhile" after a fourth-quarter knee injury in Week 6.
Coach Rex Ryan had no updates in his post-game presser, but should on Monday. The Jets are one of the league's more-open teams when it comes to injury info. Goodson finished Sunday's loss to Pittsburgh with five offensive touches.
Buy Powell in PPR if possible.
Just updating this..

Jets RB Mike Goodson tore his ACL and MCL in Sunday's loss to the Steelers.
Goodson's first season as a Jet can officially be called a nightmare. He was arrested on marijuana and weapons charges in May, went AWOL at the beginning of training camp and was then slapped with a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Goodson returned as a backup behind Bilal Powell in Week 5, but this injury puts his 2014 roster spot in doubt. Chris Ivory will see a bump in snaps going forward.

Never like to see anyone get hurt, but this ensures Powell stays on the field on 3rd downs, which is HUGE. Ivory is no threat to take on that role. He has THREE receptions in 29 career games.

So I traded hakeem nicks for Powell last week. I desperately need a RB2/Flex badly. Is Powell someone I can lean on now with the other guy hurt?

Users who are viewing this thread