What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paging Chris Long (1 Viewer)

Chris Long is overrated. Dude disappears for weeks on end. Certainly doesn't have the ability his father had.

Chris Long is overrated. Dude disappears for weeks on end. Certainly doesn't have the ability his father had.
maybe not the talent of his Dad but he certainly has loads of ability. He just can't disengage in the rungame like his Dad. He was all over Stafford for most of the Day(along with Robert Quinn) forcing TO's. Detroit just doesn't run the ball well or all that much so its always going to be feast or famine for passrushers vs them. his statline was horrible but his overall effectiveness was very very good

He had several pressures and had some nice jumps off the line, curious what his official hurry and knockdown numbers were but my guess from watching is pretty good.

Zero tackles = zero tackles. No sacks. No fumble recovery. No assist. No nothing. That is unsat from a DE who has been hyped for about 3 years now.

Zero tackles = zero tackles. No sacks. No fumble recovery. No assist. No nothing. That is unsat from a DE who has been hyped for about 3 years now.
Every DE puts up goose eggs every now and again, if you bought him it's because you liked him and shouldn't jump to conclusions after 1 week. If you didn't buy him, I sold him a while ago, then sure it's reassuring. I like other guys more, but if this is the consensus on Long I'll be pitching that owner a lowball offer later this week.

This is the first year I haven't drafted Chris Long...why? He has immense talent and ability to almost make a play every play. So he is always around the ball - but never finishes. About every 4th or 5th week he'll shine and then disappear again for numerous weeks. He is a better NFL player than IDP option.

This is the first year I haven't drafted Chris Long...why? He has immense talent and ability to almost make a play every play. So he is always around the ball - but never finishes. About every 4th or 5th week he'll shine and then disappear again for numerous weeks. He is a better NFL player than IDP option.
Exactly. He has a role on fantasy teams, but if you draft Chris Long expecting anything but sacks and low tackle numbers, you should do more research.

He had several pressures and had some nice jumps off the line, curious what his official hurry and knockdown numbers were but my guess from watching is pretty good.
I don't know what his final numbers were, but I only remember seeing him near Stafford one time all game.

Part of the problem is that the STL scorer is down on tackles. It's consistently one of the lowest scoring spots for tackles in the league, affecting guys like Long and even Laurinaitis. Tackles are the thing that gets consistent fantasy scoring so if the scorer is hurting you in that category you will really have problems.

Part of the problem is that the STL scorer is down on tackles. It's consistently one of the lowest scoring spots for tackles in the league, affecting guys like Long and even Laurinaitis. Tackles are the thing that gets consistent fantasy scoring so if the scorer is hurting you in that category you will really have problems.
i thought StL was a team that gave a high amount of assists; better than zeros

i thought StL was a team that gave a high amount of assists; better than zeros
They give a very low amount...but this is not relevant to last week's game because it was played in Detroit. Long was pretty much invisible against the Lions.

Today was a slightly better performance, but still a bit underwhelming. I'm tempted to bench him in favor of Will Smith next week, though both of them have rather similarly good matchups next week (StL @ Chi, NO @ KC).

Any thoughts on whether Chris Long's dip in production is directly proportional to the health or lack thereof, of his surrounding DTs? (ie might better numbers come when Brockers, etc can shore up the D-line?) Random thought.

Any thoughts on whether Chris Long's dip in production is directly proportional to the health or lack thereof, of his surrounding DTs? (ie might better numbers come when Brockers, etc can shore up the D-line?) Random thought.
I just think he is overrated. Every year we hear about how he's poised for a big year and he's basically just an average to slightly below average DE at best. Living off of his last name.

While I agree he may be overrated due to last name and draft position, the guy did have 13 sacks last year and has increased his sack total every year of his career.

2008 - 4

2009 - 5

2010 - 8.5

2011 - 13

I get the frustration (especially if he is your DL1) with the slow start and low tackle totals. But only a handful of guys registered more sacks last year and his career is obviously trending in the right direction. Worst case he is an upside DL2 with DL1 sack potential. Once you get outside the top 10-15 guys, I'll take Long any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
playing Zona tonight, team thats pretty much give up the most pts to DEs... anyone rolling him out there.

playing Zona tonight, team thats pretty much give up the most pts to DEs... anyone rolling him out there.
I am contemplating it. An disgruntled owner in my league dropped him after week 3. He is just starring at me on the Free Agent list but I would have to drop either Cole, Chandler Jones, or Mario Williams. Not sure what to do.

'johnnyboy8102 said:
'KellysHeroes said:
I am contemplating it. An disgruntled owner in my league dropped him after week 3. He is just starring at me on the Free Agent list but I would have to drop either Cole, Chandler Jones, or Mario Williams. Not sure what to do.
offically starting him over MJohnson; the match up is too juicy

'johnnyboy8102 said:
'KellysHeroes said:
offically starting him over MJohnson; the match up is too juicy
Would you drop Mario Williams for him?

I have quinn in my 2 idp leagues, and dropped him in one to pick and play long today.

but I kept quinn in the other to even it up.

also starting st louis d.

so, you know who to blame for teh goose eggs.

'KellysHeroes said:
all these sacks on the statue Kolb and Long was only able to get 1!!!, I'm done
ONLY able to get one? :confused:Long was second only to Cameron Wake in QB pressures going into last night. Some guys expectations are so f'ed up here.

'KellysHeroes said:
ONLY able to get one? :confused:Long was second only to Cameron Wake in QB pressures going into last night. Some guys expectations are so f'ed up here.
I don't get pts for pressures; hes a great NFL player but I can't keep plugging him in when theres better options on the WW that actually get tackles

'KellysHeroes said:
I don't get pts for pressures; hes a great NFL player but I can't keep plugging him in when theres better options on the WW that actually get tackles
I think the point is expecting more than a sack a game is unrealistic. Getting QB pressures will result in more sacks. Quinn's breakout game will probably free up Long in future games.

It would have been nice if either Long or Quinn could have at least made an assist tackle today....

Users who are viewing this thread