What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Revolution (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
The pilot episode is on hulu.com and nbc.com.

About to watch it now. Pretty excited about this show, although I'm very annoyed that they placed it across from MNF.

The success of this one might depend on how JJ Abrams-y it gets. There's just a slight bit at the end, and it's almost too much. That either needs to be explained or resolved rather soon or this might just wither.

If it wasn't for the whole "I have the mystic jewel which will restore electricity to Earth" angle, I'd be all in on this show. A drama about people adopting to olife after electricity stops working would've been kinda interesting. But this, not so much. I suspect it lasts the season but doesn't get renewed.

I really want to be interested in this but after the debacle that was Flash Forward I am leery.
Did you catch any of "Alcatraz"? It was horrid.
Great concept, but you're right, bad execution.Shows like this need to learn the lesson that Battlestar Galactica got right - you can't "tease" forever. Eventually you have to have Something Major happen otherwise the audience will give up. That was the greatness of BG, they were always leading up to and delivering Big Stuff.

I really want to be interested in this but after the debacle that was Flash Forward I am leery.
Great concept, but you're right, bad execution.Shows like this need to learn the lesson that Battlestar Galactica got right - you can't "tease" forever. Eventually you have to have Something Major happen otherwise the audience will give up. That was the greatness of BG, they were always leading up to and delivering Big Stuff.
Just started BG on Netflix...Good show so far.

Just started BG on Netflix...Good show so far.
Also watching it on Netflix. Just about at the end of Season 1. Not bad, but I'm having trouble getting past the fact that the show is basically a game of werewolf.

If it wasn't for the whole "I have the mystic jewel which will restore electricity to Earth" angle, I'd be all in on this show. A drama about people adopting to olife after electricity stops working would've been kinda interesting. But this, not so much. I suspect it lasts the season but doesn't get renewed.
Mystic Jewel? Isn't is just a USB drive?

Honestly, I have no idea wtf it is. They just show some necklace pendant looking thing that glows. USB drive, mystic jewel, ctrl-alt-delete button for the world's generators, it doesn't matter. the whole mystery angle does not make me want to watch. Especially with the way shows like Lost, Alcatraz, and Heroes progressed. DOn't give me a mystery I have to wait years to maybe find the answer to, just give me a good story.

Honestly, I have no idea wtf it is. They just show some necklace pendant looking thing that glows. USB drive, mystic jewel, ctrl-alt-delete button for the world's generators, it doesn't matter. the whole mystery angle does not make me want to watch. Especially with the way shows like Lost, Alcatraz, and Heroes progressed. DOn't give me a mystery I have to wait years to maybe find the answer to, just give me a good story.
"It's about the characters"

Has Abrams actually ever done anything good?
Lost was pretty awesome for most of its run. As was Alias for a couple seasons.
Alias and Lost are two shining examples of an Abrams show: a show that starts hot with a great premise and then just withers and dies, with small peaks sprinkled in. Alias was great for Seasons 1 and 2, dipped in Season 3, recovered nicely in Season 4, and then crashed like the damn Hindenberg in Season 5. Lost was great for Season 1, then things got goofy. Juliette and Ben Linus saved the show from being truly horrid in its last years.

Go back and watch the first five minutes. I don't think it's magical at all.

I've been reading China Mieville's books recently and he is absolutely brilliant and taking small characters and involving them in world shaking events very gradually. The story slowly expands their sense of awareness and the things that are important to them until they are finally involved in huge events - albeit as small, yet key players. That's how a story like this should unfold. Don't throw the special gadget at us right away. Save it. Start with the characters and their local concerns and gradually grow it until that is uncovered. Peel the onion back, don't just start by chopping it in half.

Alias and Lost are two shining examples of an Abrams show: a show that starts hot with a great premise and then just withers and dies, with small peaks sprinkled in. Alias was great for Seasons 1 and 2, dipped in Season 3, recovered nicely in Season 4, and then crashed like the damn Hindenberg in Season 5. Lost was great for Season 1, then things got goofy. Juliette and Ben Linus saved the show from being truly horrid in its last years.
Revisionist history. Lost was pretty awesome through the first 4 seasons. You can go look at the season 3 thread and see that the final 10 episodes of season three were just amazing. I think many lost interest when time travel started. I personally loved whole thing, aside from the final episode. I agree on Alias. Me and the wife were freaks the first two seasons. Then the rimbaldi stuff made us totally lose interest.

I've been reading China Mieville's books recently and he is absolutely brilliant and taking small characters and involving them in world shaking events very gradually. The story slowly expands their sense of awareness and the things that are important to them until they are finally involved in huge events - albeit as small, yet key players. That's how a story like this should unfold. Don't throw the special gadget at us right away. Save it. Start with the characters and their local concerns and gradually grow it until that is uncovered. Peel the onion back, don't just start by chopping it in half.
I agree. The problem is that these shows have to grab interest pretty much immediately or they get cancelled. Catch 22.I think AMC, Hbo, and other shows that guarantee shows for entire first seasons are in much better situations.

I agree. The problem is that these shows have to grab interest pretty much immediately or they get cancelled. Catch 22.I think AMC, Hbo, and other shows that guarantee shows for entire first seasons are in much better situations.
I think that given the premise there is enough interest in end of the world scenarios that people would watch without the gizmo revealed.

From Wiki:

Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Fifteen years earlier, an unknown phenomenon disabled all advanced technology on the planet, ranging from computers and electronics to car engines, jet engines, and batteries. People were forced to adapt to a world without technology, and due to the collapse of public order, many areas are ruled by warlords and militias. The series focuses on the Matheson family, who possess an item that is the key to not only finding out what happened fifteen years ago, but also a possible way to reverse its effects. However, they must elude various enemy groups who want to possess that power for themselves.[6]

No effing thanks

sounds horrible

Revisionist history. Lost was pretty awesome through the first 4 seasons. You can go look at the season 3 thread and see that the final 10 episodes of season three were just amazing. I think many lost interest when time travel started. I personally loved whole thing, aside from the final episode. I agree on Alias. Me and the wife were freaks the first two seasons. Then the rimbaldi stuff made us totally lose interest.
Lost had 2 main problems. 1. There was the fight with ABC over how long it should last, so we got about 2 seasons of just treading in water until they agreed on an end date. B. They had no ####ing idea where they were going with it. Hence lots of unanswered questions and an ending that made no sense.

I wouldn't focus too much on Abrams - he's just the executive producer. The real man behind the show is Eric Kripte, who wrote Supernatural.

I agree on Alias. Me and the wife were freaks the first two seasons. Then the rimbaldi stuff made us totally lose interest.
While Melissa George (Vaughn's squeeze while Sydney was missing) nearly destroyed my interest in the show, Mia Maestro (who played Nadia) rekindled it big time. Big fan of that character, which I understand I'm in the minority on.I thought the Rambaldi stuff was fine and you knew it was going to play a role at some point from the very get-go. But they could have easily ended it in Season 4 and instead we had the dreck that was Season 5.

From Wiki:Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Fifteen years earlier, an unknown phenomenon disabled all advanced technology on the planet, ranging from computers and electronics to car engines, jet engines, and batteries. People were forced to adapt to a world without technology, and due to the collapse of public order, many areas are ruled by warlords and militias. The series focuses on the Matheson family, who possess an item that is the key to not only finding out what happened fifteen years ago, but also a possible way to reverse its effects. However, they must elude various enemy groups who want to possess that power for themselves.[6]No effing thankssounds horrible
sounds more like a video game than a series

I wouldn't focus too much on Abrams - he's just the executive producer. The real man behind the show is Eric Kripte, who wrote Supernatural.
Yeah but the whole "secret key" angle just promises to muck up a promising storyline. Instead of a mad max in America type deal we will have to navigate through the stupid key cliffhangers etc.

I had a chance to watch about 15 minutes of the pilot. Not bad so far. The dialog is not as bad as most Abrams stuff.

From Wiki:Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Fifteen years earlier, an unknown phenomenon disabled all advanced technology on the planet, ranging from computers and electronics to car engines, jet engines, and batteries. People were forced to adapt to a world without technology, and due to the collapse of public order, many areas are ruled by warlords and militias. The series focuses on the Matheson family, who possess an item that is the key to not only finding out what happened fifteen years ago, but also a possible way to reverse its effects. However, they must elude various enemy groups who want to possess that power for themselves.[6]No effing thankssounds horrible
sounds more like a video game than a series
:lmao:

I'm guessing something with this description is probably more your speed:
From AndyWiki:Four pre-menopausal divorcee's discuss men, love, and loss at their weekly coffee klatch while their estranged children plot to overthrow their family enterprises by teaming up with the renegade man they all once called their husband.

Fringe has been getting much better as the series goes on, IMO. I don't think there's enough of a permanent trend in JJ-branded shows to label them all, yet. But yeah, Lost really went off the rails toward the end. I would say more like season 4, though, not season 1.

Fringe has been getting much better as the series goes on, IMO. I don't think there's enough of a permanent trend in JJ-branded shows to label them all, yet. But yeah, Lost really went off the rails toward the end. I would say more like season 4, though, not season 1.
Things did start to get a little weird with Season 2, though. But you're right, things really didn't start careening off the rails until after Season 4.

Things did start to get a little weird with Season 2, though. But you're right, things really didn't start careening off the rails until after Season 4.
Ah, sure, I guess that's where the difference is then. I'm good with weird, I just can't take weird for the sake of being weird with no end result.

:goodposting: I would have used an Excellent Posting icon if one existed. This was my exact thought process. When I saw the first commercials about a planet that no longer has electricity, I was pretty excited about it. I thought it would be very interesting seeing how people adapted, survived, what the writers thought the world would look like 15 years after the event. Then I saw another one and it had the girl trying to unravel the mystery of her father's death and his involvement in the incident, and my interest dove straight in to the ground. Will probably watch a few episodes, but fully expect it to go sappy soap opera after the first couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gregg Easterbrook, writer of the Tuesday Morning Quarterback column for ESPN had this to say about 'Revolution'...http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8363360/is-green-bay-sync-san-francisco-next-nfl-powerhouse

No "SportsCenter"? The End of Civilization: The new J.J. Abrams sci-fi series "Revolution" premieres next Monday night -- across from "Monday Night Football." "Terra Nova" also premiered across from "Monday Night Football." Don't the audiences for football and for sci-fi overlap? TMQ fails to grok why big-budget sci-fi keeps airing opposite "Monday Night Football," rather than on Tuesday, when there is no prime-time football. You know MNF will not be the loser in any ratings smackdown."Revolution" is yet another post-apocalypse premise. An unknown force has stopped all technology from functioning. Cities are overgrown with vegetation -- apparently even pruning shears have stopped working. Fighting is done with swords -- apparently the chemicals in bullets no longer work. People ride horses for transportation -- apparently bicycles ceased functioning. Yet with no electricity and the disappearance of modern products, the babe heroine's hair and makeup are perfect.Hollywood loves post-apocalypse movies and TV serials because the costume budget is low: Just buy some old consignment clothes, and rip them.

I had a chance to watch about 15 minutes of the pilot. Not bad so far. The dialog is not as bad as most Abrams stuff.
Oops. The rest of the show happened.This thing is pretty lame. Started off on a fairly even, if not mediocre keel, but soon morphed into ridiculousness. That fight scene was laughable. And how many times did we have to see a character facing a death-blow only to be saved by an unexpected arrow or knife in the bad guy's back. Freaking cartoonish.

Sounds like I'm in the same camp as many others with this show. The general premise of surviving years after total power outage is interesting and has promise. Where this show appears to be taking things looks sort of lame and hokey based on the couple of commercials I've seen. That said, I'll still give it a shot and see what happens. I'm not that optimistic, but I did Terra Nova a full season (ugh).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like I'm in the same camp as many others with this show. The general premise of surviving years after total power outage is interesting and has promise. Where this show appears to be taking things looks sort of lame and hokey based on the couple of commercials I've seen. That said, I'll still give it a shot and see what happens. I'm not that optimistic, but I did Terra Nova a full season (ugh).
So did I and despite my better judgement I will watch this one too.

I think that given the premise there is enough interest in end of the world scenarios that people would watch without the gizmo revealed.
That's the problem with Network TV....they have to sell you a hook (CAN WE GET THE POWER BACK ON?) in the first couple of episodes. A show like this would work better if that hook happened at the end of the second or third season.

So did I and despite my better judgement I will watch this one too.
I'm at the point where I skip the first season, and if it gets good reviews and gets renewed, then I'll rent the first season on DVD and start watching. DOne it for shows like Fringe and Grimm. Wish I had done it for Alcatraz.

That's the problem with Network TV....they have to sell you a hook (CAN WE GET THE POWER BACK ON?) in the first couple of episodes. A show like this would work better if that hook happened at the end of the second or third season.
But did this show need that sort of hook? I would have actually been much, much happier without it. Not sure why they even feel the possiblity of turning power back on needs to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread