What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mastay's TD pass (1 Viewer)

CheeseHead

Footballguy
What's the correct scoring rule on Mastay's TD shovel pass on Special Teams last night? Is it not a Green Bay DEF/ST score ?

What's the correct scoring rule on Mastay's TD shovel pass on Special Teams last night? Is it not a Green Bay DEF/ST score ?
Unless your league SPECIFICALLY calls it a score for Def/ST, it shouldn't count as such. It's no different than if Tim Tebow comes in on a wildcat play and throws a TD pass. Just because Sanchez isn't the QB, doesn't make it a D/ST score.

depends on your league settings. Its a TD pass for Mastay & a TD reception for Crabtree in my league

4th down is an offensive play unless the ball is kicked through the uprights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those leagues that use team QBs should score it to Grean Bay Team QB.

See post #5 for individual QB leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it'd be a D/ST TD at first (immediately checked to make sure I wasn't against the Packers D), but it makes sense that it's not.

usually D/ST get credit for - fumble return for TD, INT return fro TD, kickoff Return for TD, Punt return for TD, blocked kick return for TD,

They do not get credit for gadget/trick/fake runs/passes for TDs

We have a special rule in my 12 Year Re-Draft that gimmick plays like this on a Fake FG or Fake Punt do in fact count for 6 pts for your D/ST unit.

But yeah, if you don't have a rule like that -- you're out of luck, this is just a touchdown pass from a goofy formation.

We always thought they were too exciting and cool a play to not reward your D/ST unit, so we made the rule around 2003.

Our dynasty league went through this exact situation a few years ago. After a bunch of research and discussion, the below line was added to our Constitution.

* Special Teams is only considered once the ball is kicked or punted, until that time it is still considered an offensive play for all players involved

:goodposting:
Sure if you ignore punts
Not ignoring punts, I just assumed striking the ball with a foot is considered a 'kick'
Punt returns are special teams and do not go through the uprights.
That is why I struck out the through the uprights part.

We've gone over this a million times.

According to the NFL, this is not a D/ST touchdown. It's just a regular offensive touchdown, with Masthay playing quarterback. If you use the "Team QB" position, then you will get the points for your QB.

Most fantasy football leagues will NOT credit this TD to the D/ST, simply because they choose to strictly interpret the NFL rules. But in my opinion, that's a mistake. I think that TDs like this should be credited to the D/ST. The fantasy football world needs to stop living by the NFL's terminology and think outside the box once in a while. The D/ST was on the field, therefore the D/ST should be rewarded with the points.

Was the touchdown pass thrown by the Green Bay punter a Special Teams TD. This seems a no-brainer but CBS Sportsline did not update it as a DST TD and now it is up for debate in the league. In case you missed the play, Green Bay lined up for a field goal, snapped it to the holder (Green Bay punter) and he flipped it to the TE who ran it in. Thoughts.

Was the touchdown pass thrown by the Green Bay punter a Special Teams TD. This seems a no-brainer but CBS Sportsline did not update it as a DST TD and now it is up for debate in the league. In case you missed the play, Green Bay lined up for a field goal, snapped it to the holder (Green Bay punter) and he flipped it to the TE who ran it in. Thoughts.
already been discussed but no.. this is not a Defensive/ST touchdown..

no. it was a td pass from the holder to that te. if someone started those people they should get the points (ie if crosby threw the td he would get the td not the dst).really that is just an offensive play like any other play going for it on 4th down. just because it appears that a special teams play is aout to happen (ie punt, fg, etc) does not mean it is automatically so.dst points are from returns or defense. that play was neither.

Your D/ST is not involved unless:

A) the other team is snapping the ball from scrimmage, or

B) the other team is kicking off, or

C) there is a change of possession, and the other team fumbles/muffs during the ensuing return.

Your D/ST is not involved unless:A) the other team is snapping the ball from scrimmage, orB) the other team is kicking off, orC) there is a change of possession, and the other team fumbles/muffs during the ensuing return.
I can think of 2 other scenarios where the D/ST is on the field. One is obvious, the other is not.

We have a special rule in my 12 Year Re-Draft that gimmick plays like this on a Fake FG or Fake Punt do in fact count for 6 pts for your D/ST unit.

But yeah, if you don't have a rule like that -- you're out of luck, this is just a touchdown pass from a goofy formation.

We always thought they were too exciting and cool a play to not reward your D/ST unit, so we made the rule around 2003.
I like this line of thinking.

A completed forward pass is an offensive play. Unless you have a special rule about fake FG, this should not count for D/ST. If Aaron Rodgers was the holder and he passed to Finley (hypothetical since he probably would have dropped it), you wouldn't give them the points?

It is a pass attempt/TD for Mashtay and a reception/TD for the TEIt is NOT a special teams play when they change from kick team to regular offensive play

We've gone over this a million times.According to the NFL, this is not a D/ST touchdown. It's just a regular offensive touchdown, with Masthay playing quarterback. If you use the "Team QB" position, then you will get the points for your QB.Most fantasy football leagues will NOT credit this TD to the D/ST, simply because they choose to strictly interpret the NFL rules. But in my opinion, that's a mistake. I think that TDs like this should be credited to the D/ST. The fantasy football world needs to stop living by the NFL's terminology and think outside the box once in a while. The D/ST was on the field, therefore the D/ST should be rewarded with the points.
By this line of thinking, the D/ST gets points for FGs and extra points, too, then.

We've gone over this a million times.According to the NFL, this is not a D/ST touchdown. It's just a regular offensive touchdown, with Masthay playing quarterback. If you use the "Team QB" position, then you will get the points for your QB.Most fantasy football leagues will NOT credit this TD to the D/ST, simply because they choose to strictly interpret the NFL rules. But in my opinion, that's a mistake. I think that TDs like this should be credited to the D/ST. The fantasy football world needs to stop living by the NFL's terminology and think outside the box once in a while. The D/ST was on the field, therefore the D/ST should be rewarded with the points.
By this line of thinking, the D/ST gets points for FGs and extra points, too, then.
think of it this way. when a team lines up for a fg, the dst is not getting any points in any scenario.pretty simple.

why would TEAM QB get a TD pass there? If a halfback throws a TD does TEAM QB get a TD? Mastay is a Punter not a QB.

Your D/ST is not involved unless:A) the other team is snapping the ball from scrimmage, orB) the other team is kicking off, orC) there is a change of possession, and the other team fumbles/muffs during the ensuing return.
I can think of 2 other scenarios where the D/ST is on the field. One is obvious, the other is not.
We're listening
I'm guessing a fair catch kick. Which, incidentally, is going to start happening more often with the new onside kick rules.

:goodposting:
X

Not true. It just has to be kicked past the line of scrimmage.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Past the line of scrimmage is the rule. Not just "kicked", and it doesn't have to go "through the uprights" either.

why would TEAM QB get a TD pass there? If a halfback throws a TD does TEAM QB get a TD? Mastay is a Punter not a QB.
He was the QB for that play. The ball was snapped directly to him.
This seems silly. So if Tomlinson lined up as QB in a wildcat formation and threw a TD, the TEAM QB owner would get pts for the TD and not the Tomlinson owner?
I would think so, but the whole idea of Team QB seems silly to me.

This is why you shouldn't play D/ST leagues. IDP (or no D) FTW!

:stirspot:

That said, it really should depend on your rules. Yes a special teams play is when a ball is kicked, but it was the special teams players on the field. In a way that is what matters. You drafted that unit of players. You didn't draft a situation (kicking plays). This is kind of like how you draft QBs (player), and not passing plays (situation).

Just offering what might be a slightly different perspective...

He was the QB for that play. The ball was snapped directly to him.
This seems silly. So if Tomlinson lined up as QB in a wildcat formation and threw a TD, the TEAM QB owner would get pts for the TD and not the Tomlinson owner?
I would think so, but the whole idea of Team QB seems silly to me.
me too. I was just curious.

Would that be such a bad thing? Most FF leagues give double points when an offensive player scores a TD on a kick return, right? Why not apply the same logic to the kicking game? Or just eliminate the Kicker position altogether and apply all kicking points to the D/ST.

Users who are viewing this thread