Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dr. Awesome

Official Matthew Stafford

Matthew Stafford  

473 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SoBeDad said:

But 5th highest paid in 2018. 

He's a little better than average. NFL executives had him ranked #7 at the beginning of the year: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/7/24/17606792/2018-nfl-quarterback-rankings-matthew-stafford-7th-best-nfl-executives-detroit-lions

 

Man, Ryan Fitzpatrick should have picked Stafford's agent years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hilts said:

Man, Ryan Fitzpatrick should have picked Stafford's agent years ago. 

That poll needs a redo because this loser doesn't even make the top 20. Rookie &2nd year QBs are outplaying him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, Chaz McNulty said:

I rated him as 'just where he should be'.  But I have him in the 20-30 range of current QB's.

Stafford is probably closer to the 15-20 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matthew Stafford (back) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

He played through the questionable tag last week but was largely ineffective in a win at Arizona (101 yards on 15-of-23 passing). Stafford may not be 100 percent, but the bigger concern for his fantasy prospect is his injury-gutted receiving corps. He should be out there in Week 15, though he won't be a recommended option against a stingy Bills defense.

Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter 

Dec 12 - 4:48 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 2:07 PM, Faust said:

Yet another lion chosen by the fords that has not brought them anywhere. Add up him and even better players and we are going past 25 years without even a division title. So quit blaming the players, there is a 60 year tradition of this that goes beyond the individuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Yet another lion chosen by the fords that has not brought them anywhere. Add up him and even better players and we are going past 25 years without even a division title. So quit blaming the players, there is a 60 year tradition of this that goes beyond the individuals.

Stafford has been Lionized and is a broken man and player.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Faust said:

When you combine his cap hit with the way the lions do things there is maybe a 1%  chance he is cut or traded this offseason. That does not mean they won't draft someone, but don't expect it to be in the first round. Way too many holes on that team to devote that much money to one position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Lions' official website, Matthew Stafford played through "broken bones in his back" last season.

"He had a broken back last year," in-house writer Mike O’Hara said on a podcast. "Broken bones in his back." Stafford was listed with a back issue from Week 14 on last season, but there was never any mention of it being the sort of fracture that Tony Romo and Derek Carr have played through in the past. Stafford's numbers were already suffering the Lions' run-heavy offense by that time, so it's not an explanation for his plunge in productivity.

SOURCE: MLive.com

Jun 18, 2019, 3:52 PM ET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can't throw with a broken back, at least he can polish Martha's Ford fenders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He didn’t look right last year and this probably explains why. Last couple of years I think he had improved and season before the one just gone he was perceived as a QB in the 5-10 range by most 

WR corps traded away or injured. 

New HC bedding in and Cooter stuck in inertia. 

Can explain poorer numbers. 

Fractures in the back can also explain that and furthermore explain why to the eye he just didn’t look like his normal self and was missing throws he can usually make in his sleep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TartanLion said:

He didn’t look right last year and this probably explains why. Last couple of years I think he had improved and season before the one just gone he was perceived as a QB in the 5-10 range by most 

WR corps traded away or injured. 

New HC bedding in and Cooter stuck in inertia. 

Can explain poorer numbers. 

Fractures in the back can also explain that and furthermore explain why to the eye he just didn’t look like his normal self and was missing throws he can usually make in his sleep. 

His ADP (QB21-25 rn) is a massive overreaction, but understandable - he sucked last year: I imagine he’ll be around 15-18 by the end of August. The idea he’ll be 23rdish in FFPPG seems absurd.

Amendola and Kearse are no Tate in the slot but he needs a security blanket to be effective. Looking more and more like they’ll be scheming the TEs a lot this year. Probably gonna have the fewest PA of his career but hopefully will be more efficient.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

His ADP (QB21-25 rn) is a massive overreaction, but understandable - he sucked last year: I imagine he’ll be around 15-18 by the end of August. The idea he’ll be 23rdish in FFPPG seems absurd.

Amendola and Kearse are no Tate in the slot but he needs a security blanket to be effective. Looking more and more like they’ll be scheming the TEs a lot this year. Probably gonna have the fewest PA of his career but hopefully will be more efficient.

His stats have depended on volume his whole career. In theory he should have better per attempt numbers but idk. Look at what happens even to Brees when pass attempts go to normal down from outrageously high.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

His stats have depended on volume his whole career. In theory he should have better per attempt numbers but idk. Look at what happens even to Brees when pass attempts go to normal down from outrageously high.  

Last 8 years (0 missed starts)

Year - Pos Rank - PA - PA Rank

2011 - QB5 - 663 - 2

2012 - QB11 - 727 - 1

2013 - QB7 - 634 - 3

2014 - QB15 - 602 - 4

2015 - QB9 - 592 - 6

2016 - QB7 - 594 - 5

2017 - QB7 - 565 - 7

2018 - QB20 - 555 - 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haskins went undrafted in my league. I currently have Stafford, Cam, and Goff. Ideally my third QB had always been some kind of developmental guy. Would you rather have Haskins or Stafford? I worry about upside with Stafford in this offense. Right now Cam is my starter and Goff is the bye-week/good matchup player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Haskins went undrafted in my league. I currently have Stafford, Cam, and Goff. Ideally my third QB had always been some kind of developmental guy. Would you rather have Haskins or Stafford? I worry about upside with Stafford in this offense. Right now Cam is my starter and Goff is the bye-week/good matchup player.

Goff should be your starter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hispeedthinmint said:

Goff should be your starter

He was mostly last year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, BobbyLayne said:

Last 8 years (0 missed starts)

Year - Pos Rank - PA - PA Rank

2011 - QB5 - 663 - 2

2012 - QB11 - 727 - 1

2013 - QB7 - 634 - 3

2014 - QB15 - 602 - 4

2015 - QB9 - 592 - 6

2016 - QB7 - 594 - 5

2017 - QB7 - 565 - 7

2018 - QB20 - 555 - 8

The first thing that jumped out at me was finishing QB11 with 727 pass attempts - that is friggin nuts!  The second thing I noticed was that he never finished higher than his pass attempt ranking - that is very inefficient.  You kind of expect that with non-running QB's, but even a statue like Rivers has finished higher than his attempts.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hispeedthinmint said:

Goff should be your starter

His early season schedule is gorgeous 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:
5 hours ago, hispeedthinmint said:

Goff should be your starter

His early season schedule is gorgeous 

Generally been targeting Ryan/Wentz but they’re usually gone by the time I have loaded up 7 RBs/WRs + a Tier 2 TE (usually OJ or Engram in the 6th.)

Goff as a 9th rounder seems like great value, I usually pair him with Cousin/Jimmy or a young cheat code running QB (Jackson or Trubisky.)

Stafford is gonna be on a lot of waiver wires on Labor. Coming off a bad year, should run the ball a lot out of two TE sets, one security blanket traded and the other night get cut.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Athletic's Chris Burke considers 2019 a "big year" for Matthew Stafford's future in Detroit.

After years of increasing efficiency and consistency under ex-OC Jim Bob Cooter, Stafford was a flop in new coach Matt Patricia's run-heavy system last season, failing to clear 4,000 yards for the first time ever as a healthy quarterback. He averaged an anemic 6.8 yards per attempt. Stafford would have left behind a hilarious $55 million in dead money if released this year, but that number drops to a slightly — emphasis on slightly — more palatable $26 million in 2020. 2019 is Stafford's age-31 campaign.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 23, 2019, 2:39 PM ET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Faust said:

Short article on Stafford being given a day off (NOT mentioned - first since 2010 according to other beat writers) perfectly sums up the value of preseason “news.”

FWIW, Stafford had several bad throwing days in training camp, with uncharacteristically poor accuracy and almost daily interceptions. At one point 2nd round pick Jahlani Tavai jumped a lane & took off for an apparent pick 6. Stafford - wearing a non-contact red jersey - chased him, lunging at him awkwardly at him on the sideline. He bounced off the 250 pound linebacker and was thankfully unhurt. Avoided the media for a few days (he’s the face of the franchise and never ducks an obligation.) About three days later he sheepishly admitted it was a dumb deal on his part, competitive instincts kicking in, etc.

Probably NBD but notable because it was such an uncharacteristic WTHWT incident. Rough off-season for him personally as his wife had brain surgery this spring to remove a tumor (all indications are it was a success but def scary af.)

Does not feel like the team is on the rise, at all. There are good individual parts on both sides of the ball. Aspirationally they want to be a run heavy team that relies on a defense. But their O-line is average at best and their young linebackers unproven in coverage. But like many teams in today’s league they’ll run a base D with 5 or 6 DBs so who knows.

Def not a QB I would draft as a backup, better options around that will be more efficient, have more volume or offer a rushing floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's his wife doing? I imagine would be hard to concentrate on football with that going on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tool said:

How's his wife doing? I imagine would be hard to concentrate on football with that going on.

She’s posted some updates on IG. Everything went reasonably well with the surgery, except she can’t smile on one side of her face.(she’s a stunner, cheerleader at UGA.) They took a vacation together without their three girls. I had a friend who had a very similar procedure, tumor + brain surgery is scary af, that’ll shake you to the core. But they’re as back to normal as they’ll ever be.

Stafford is a good dude. He’s not a great QB, but with that cannon he sometimes makes you think he should be. I’ve seen him make some incredible throws. But he just doesn’t have that intangible, doesn’t rise to the occasion or will the team to win in tough matchups. At times he’s amazing in no huddle and when they’re behind, but afterwards you wonder where the heck was that the first three quarters?

Statistically the best QB in Lions history, by a good margin. With zero division titles or playoff wins....well, it’s gonna be a pretty hollow legacy if that doesn’t change. Obviously they’ve never had a complete team - until Kerryon, they went almost five years without a 100 yard rusher. The defense was really good for maybe one year out of ten. The whole organization has been inept for the entirety of the Ford family ownership (55 years.)

One of the oddest fan bases around. Nobody is more jaded. Admittedly we have found some incredible ways to lose - obscure rules nobody has ever heard of, blown calls, Hail Mary passes, you name it.

We once lost a playoff game in which the other team never punted! Hard to put that on #9. Lost at Dallas in part due to a bad call (regardless we had other chances.) Lost another one on which we gave up 161 yards rushing to Thomas Rawls. That was more than he had in 12 games (58 att) in the next season.

SOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t see the game but lots of chatter on Twitter that Jahlani Tavai, Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Will Harris all played outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Didn’t see the game but lots of chatter on Twitter that Jahlani Tavai, Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Will Harris all played outstanding.

Bobby interested to get your thoughts on if Stafford can/will turn Golladay into a stud or if this passing O will be trending down and Golladay isn't keeper material?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Bobby interested to get your thoughts on if Stafford can/will turn Golladay into a stud or if this passing O will be trending down and Golladay isn't keeper material?

 

I know you didn't ask me, but not knowing your league, I'd be very surprised if he's keeper material. The Lions are going to try to focus more on the running game and the Lions have multiple passing game weapons - Jones, Golladay, Amandola, Hockenson, Kerryon. 

Golladay should be fine but I don't see him being a stud.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

Bobby interested to get your thoughts on if Stafford can/will turn Golladay into a stud or if this passing O will be trending down and Golladay isn't keeper material?

Very talented guy, gets off the line well, decent speed and great RZ target. Physical guy who uses his length well. Right now comparing him to say the current top two tiers - Adams, OBJ, Jones, Hopkins, Thomas, or target hogs in the next level (Hill, Brown, Evans, Allen) - hard to see him in either group. But I get stuff wrong all the time.

The echo chamber has been beating the drum that no Lions player in the passing game is a good pick this year. Golladay is entrenched as their #1 but situation is holding him back is the dominant narrative. That’s an opinion, not a fact.

I often take players based on talent. Sometimes backfires in redraft, other times I get great value because I ignored the white noise. 

People get super hung up on situations but the NFL is very fluid, things changes. We have idea who has a good offense rn. We THINK we know, and by September 30 - every single year - there are surprise teams and new stars emerge.

As far as Golladay’s LT outlook, we don’t know who the Detroit HC or QB will be in two years. But his talent ain’t going away.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Very talented guy, gets off the line well, decent speed and great RZ target. Physical guy who uses his length well. Right now comparing him to say the current top two tiers - Adams, OBJ, Jones, Hopkins, Thomas, or target hogs in the next level (Hill, Brown, Evans, Allen) - hard to see him in either group. But I get stuff wrong all the time.

The echo chamber has been beating the drum that no Lions player in the passing game is a good pick this year. Golladay is entrenched as their #1 but situation is holding him back is the dominant narrative. That’s an opinion, not a fact.

I often take players based on talent. Sometimes backfires in redraft, other times I get great value because I ignored the white noise. 

People get super hung up on situations but the NFL is very fluid, things changes. We have idea who has a good offense rn. We THINK we know, and by September 30 - every single year - there are surprise teams and new stars emerge.

As far as Golladay’s LT outlook, we don’t know who the Detroit HC or QB will be in two years. But his talent ain’t going away.

Great input thanks Bobby. Have a shot to keep him for a very late pick for multiple years but also an option on Thomas for one year for a mid round pick which may be safer. Loved watching Golladay progress last year but coach scares me for sure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Matthew Stafford completed 22-of-30 passes for 245 yards, two touchdowns, and two picks in Detroit's Week 2 victory over the Chargers.

Stafford and the Lions' offense came back to Earth without the benefit of Arizona's play volume on the opposite side, totaling 30 pass attempts to last week's astounding overtime-induced mark of 45. The veteran entrusted Kenny Golladay (8/117/1) with a one-on-one jump-ball that resulted in Stafford's first pick of the day, but went right back to 'Babytron' for the go-ahead 31-yard touchdown strike to eventually move Detroit to 1-0-1 on the season. The signal-caller's first 33-yard touchdown toss to Kerryon Johnson out of the backfield was attributed to great play-calling on a play-action screen. Despite being outdoors and on the road, there's a good chance Stafford picks apart Philadelphia's questionable secondary in Week 3.

 

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

MLive's Kyle Meinke reports that Matthew Stafford (hip, questionable) is expected to play Sunday.

Meinke stated, "People I've talked to say they'd be shocked if Matthew Stafford didn't start on Sunday. He tweaked the hip but it's not expected to impact his availability against KC." Stafford wasn't listed on the injury report until Friday, when he was limited in practice. He hasn't missed a game since 2010.

SOURCE: Kyle Meinke on Twitter.

Sep 27, 2019, 4:50 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Matthew Stafford (hip) is active for Week 4 against the Chiefs.

Stafford will make his 132nd consecutive start for Detroit, though he'll be doing so at far less than 100 percent. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, this is "probably the closest he's been to not playing" while noting that Stafford's hip pain worsened throughout the week. There's a lot to like about Stafford's Week 4 matchup—he's playing at home against an attackable secondary in a game that should feature negative game script (aka more passing). However, Stafford's balky hip could limit his effectiveness.

SOURCE: Detroit Lions on Twitter

Sep 29, 2019, 12:11 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stafford's effectiveness could affect many FF  players, including his own  such as Golladay, Prater and even KC players - maybe KC won;t need to score a lot of points.

Legend has it that Stafford played through a separated shoulder many years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Matthew Stafford is attempting passes 20-plus yards down the field at more than double the rate he did in 2018.

Per Sports Info Solutions, Stafford's "deep ball percentage" currently sits at 19.9 after registering at just 8.6 in 2018. Next Gen Stats has charted Stafford's average intended air yards at 11.2 yards, the highest of any current starter. Part of that is assuredly a slate that has featured the Cardinals and Eagles' awful defensive backs in addition to the shootout-prone Chiefs, though Stafford also attempted six such passes against the Chargers' stouter secondary in Week 2. That was amongst the league leaders that week. Stafford certainly has the personnel to challenge down the field. After he was nearly run-established out of the fantasy picture last season, Stafford has re-emerged as a legitimate QB2 streamer. The Packers are a tough Week 5 matchup.

SOURCE: Sports Info Solutions on Twitter

Oct 1, 2019, 4:32 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Faust said:

The Packers are a tough Week 5 matchup.

They play Dallas..... Stafford will be sitting at home on a bye.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Matthew Stafford completed 18-of-32 passes for 265 scoreless yards in the Lions' 23-22, Week 6 loss to the Packers Monday night.

The refs completely blew this game late for the Lions and gifted the Packers numerous extra plays and sets of downs in the fourth quarter by calling a pair of phantom illegal hands to the face penalties on Lions DE Trey Flowers, which directly led to a 35-yard Allen Lazard touchdown and the "game-winning" chip-shot field goal to Mason Crosby as time expired. On the final one, the Lions sacked Aaron Rodgers to force a fourth down and long field goal with just under two minutes on the clock and were going to get the ball back. Instead, the Packers kneeled it and kicked a field goal as time expired. Stafford, despite not throwing a touchdown, played well with several big hookups, including 121 yards on five completions to Kenny Golladay. Detroit's issue was settling for too many field goals. The Lions are this hack job by the refs and a last-minute Patrick Mahomes touchdown drive away from being undefeated. The Lions host the Vikings in Week 7.

Oct 14, 2019, 11:24 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golladay would be a superstar right now if it wasn't Stafford trying to get him the ball.

Feel like the guy is always forced to make a circus catch because Stafford has no precision.   Put this guy with a good QB and it will look easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.