Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dr. Awesome

Official Matthew Stafford

Matthew Stafford  

473 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lions placed QB Matthew Stafford on injured reserve with a back injury, ending his seaosn.

The Lions waited six weeks for Stafford's fractured back to get better, but he never got to a point where he could suit back up. Perhaps things would be different were the Lions' season not long over. Playing in his age-31 campaign, Stafford was well on his way toward a career year before the injury took hold. The missed games were his first since 2010. The Lions have run two radically different systems through the first two years of Matt Patricia's leadership, but we would expect this season's more explosive edition to be the 2020 approach. Two months shy of his 32nd birthday, Stafford is signed through 2022.

Dec 17, 2019, 4:14 PM ET

Matthew Stafford (back) expects to be ready for the offseason program.

Stafford missed the final eight games, but the Lions held out hope he would return before sending him to IR in Week 16. It's not a surprise he'll be ready for OTAs. Stafford is owed $21.3M is salary and bonuses next season. He's signed through 2022.

SOURCE: detroitlions.com

Jan 3, 2020, 7:06 PM ET

4 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

If they were to ever trade him it would be in 2021, not 2020. Huge difference in the cap hit that the Lions recently engineered themselves.

Well only thing is the chance to draft someone like Tua doesn't happen every year. Not saying they do it - I'm actually a Stafford supporter - but think it at least has to be considered.  Suppose it's possible they draft Tua and play Stafford for a year. Would be kind a crappy situation for Stafford to be in though, and not sure Detroit would do that.

• Like 1

I will die on the hill that Stafford is a very good QB held back by an awful team. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I will die on the hill that Stafford is a very good QB held back by an awful team. 

I don’t think that’s a controversial take. 

2 hours ago, Tool said:

Well only thing is the chance to draft someone like Tua doesn't happen every year. Not saying they do it - I'm actually a Stafford supporter - but think it at least has to be considered.  Suppose it's possible they draft Tua and play Stafford for a year. Would be kind a crappy situation for Stafford to be in though, and not sure Detroit would do that.

He's in Detroit. Crappy situation is implied. 

I'm really trying to not think about Stafford in Nashville. 🏆

20 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I don’t think that’s a controversial take. 

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Quite possibly the best QB on bad teams for most of his career, that I can remember anyway. At least he had Calvin for a while.

I really like the guy, but it seems to be that all signs point to average NFL QB, which is not easily replaceable, and is quite impressive in its own right. He's had some really good years, but for the most part... 

17 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Yes and if I may relate something that drove how awful the Lions are to me last night. I read an article from a beat writer about the top Lions prospects under 25. Now considering their immediate future is not so bright and they've been drafting middle to high most years I anticipated seeing a decent list. Yikes!!!

Hockenson was #1. Kerryon, a RB who the beat writer said might have comp atop the depth chart checked in at 4. Scarbrough, who they just signed off the scrap heap in middle of the season ranked as their 9th best prospect under 25.

• Sad 1

Lions GM Bob Quinn said he anticipates Matthew Stafford (back) will be "full-go" for the team's offseason workouts.

Quinn also said he'd like to add a third exclamation point to his recent statement that the trade rumors surrounding Stafford are "100% false!!". The 32-year-old cornerstone thrived in his first year under OC Darrell Bevell, pacing for eight-year highs in passing yards (4,998) and touchdowns (38) before breaking his back. Stafford is expected to begin Week 1 of the 2020 season with a clean bill of health.

SOURCE: Kyle Meinke on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 12:40 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports "some GMs and coaches around the league" believe Matthew Stafford wants to be traded.

Stafford trade rumors have been shutdown by Lions GM Bob Quinn multiple times. Still, it's notable that Stafford may be the one who wants out despite thriving under OC Darrell Bevell last year. Any Stafford trade would require a restructure that lowers his cap hit with the Lions. Detroit can't realistically move on from Stafford until at least next offseason.

SOURCE: Michael Silver on Twitter

Mar 1, 2020, 10:36 AM ET

Everyone thinks either the lions or the staffords are starting these rumors, but I'm pretty sure it's someone in the local media reaching for a story. Not exactly a lot of big stories going on in a  rebuilding sports city.