What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (1 Viewer)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters
Tool said:
Well only thing is the chance to draft someone like Tua doesn't happen every year. Not saying they do it - I'm actually a Stafford supporter - but think it at least has to be considered.  Suppose it's possible they draft Tua and play Stafford for a year. Would be kind a crappy situation for Stafford to be in though, and not sure Detroit would do that.
He's in Detroit. Crappy situation is implied. 

I'm really trying to not think about Stafford in Nashville. 🏆

I really like the guy, but it seems to be that all signs point to average NFL QB, which is not easily replaceable, and is quite impressive in its own right. He's had some really good years, but for the most part... 

Ilov80s said:
I will die on the hill that Stafford is a very good QB held back by an awful team. 
Yes and if I may relate something that drove how awful the Lions are to me last night. I read an article from a beat writer about the top Lions prospects under 25. Now considering their immediate future is not so bright and they've been drafting middle to high most years I anticipated seeing a decent list. Yikes!!!

Hockenson was #1. Kerryon, a RB who the beat writer said might have comp atop the depth chart checked in at 4. Scarbrough, who they just signed off the scrap heap in middle of the season ranked as their 9th best prospect under 25.

Lions GM Bob Quinn said he anticipates Matthew Stafford (back) will be "full-go" for the team's offseason workouts.

Quinn also said he'd like to add a third exclamation point to his recent statement that the trade rumors surrounding Stafford are "100% false!!". The 32-year-old cornerstone thrived in his first year under OC Darrell Bevell, pacing for eight-year highs in passing yards (4,998) and touchdowns (38) before breaking his back. Stafford is expected to begin Week 1 of the 2020 season with a clean bill of health.

SOURCE: Kyle Meinke on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 12:40 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports "some GMs and coaches around the league" believe Matthew Stafford wants to be traded.

Stafford trade rumors have been shutdown by Lions GM Bob Quinn multiple times. Still, it's notable that Stafford may be the one who wants out despite thriving under OC Darrell Bevell last year. Any Stafford trade would require a restructure that lowers his cap hit with the Lions. Detroit can't realistically move on from Stafford until at least next offseason.

SOURCE: Michael Silver on Twitter

Mar 1, 2020, 10:36 AM ET

Everyone thinks either the lions or the staffords are starting these rumors, but I'm pretty sure it's someone in the local media reaching for a story. Not exactly a lot of big stories going on in a  rebuilding sports city.

Lions GM Bob Quinn said Matthew Stafford (back) has been medically cleared.

“Matthew’s doing great," Quinn said. "He calls probably once a week. I know he’s working out. Health-wise he’s good to go. He’s cleared medically.” Quinn also said Stafford would be "full go" if the team's virtual offseason program started tomorrow. The 32-year-old was on pace for 4,998 pass yards, 38 touchdowns, and 20.8 fantasy points per game in his first year under OC Darrell Bevell before a broken back derailed his season altogether. With a presumed clean bill of health, Stafford should arguably be considered a strong top-12 option in any offseason Best-Ball leagues. The Lions could still add another quarterback to the room during the later rounds of next week's draft.

SOURCE: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Apr 17, 2020, 10:16 AM ET

If the Lions defense greatly improves and offense can play like it did before the Stafford injury and other injuries they have a chance.

Offense when healthy would support a playoff bound team.

Defense was atrocious and if a fan you have to hope that a new coordinator and influx of new players would result in improvement. 

Based on Quinn/Patricia's past decisions and performance I would think that the playoffs are not the most likely choice. But if you are looking for hope remember the Lions lost to KC in KC in the last minute of that game and the offense was a good one.

Offense when healthy would support a playoff bound team.

Defense was atrocious and if a fan you have to hope that a new coordinator and influx of new players would result in improvement. 

Based on Quinn/Patricia's past decisions and performance I would think that the playoffs are not the most likely choice. But if you are looking for hope remember the Lions lost to KC in KC in the last minute of that game and the offense was a good one.
Lions do occasionally give us that glimmer of hope.  Then Lucy once again pulls away the ball just as they are about to win for a change.

Detroit Free Press' Dave Birkett reports Matthew Stafford listed his Bloomfield Township home in Metro Detroit for sale.

Rumors of the quarterback's house being up for sale have been around since he was reportedly placed on the trading block back in February. With three years left on his current deal, it's unlikely this is anything more than a simple real estate listing on 1.27 acres of lakefront property. The 32-year-old has split his time training between California and Georgia this offseason.

SOURCE: Dave Birkett on Twitter

May 15, 2020, 9:21 AM ET

I honestly like him.  

He was on pace for 5,000 yards and 38 TD's.  With Golloday, Marvin and Hockenson arround him with Swift/Kerryon in the backfield, the offense should have plenty of gas. 

If his back is ok, he should finish as a QB1.

I honestly like him.  

He was on pace for 5,000 yards and 38 TD's.  With Golloday, Marvin and Hockenson arround him with Swift/Kerryon in the backfield, the offense should have plenty of gas. 

I'm a big fan of anyone with talent in a situation that has some continuity, what with the limited off season time this year. Rookies and QBs changing teams will have an even higher uphill battle than usual imo.

I honestly like him.  

He is the best value at QB for seasonal leagues right now 

Kenny Golladay laughs in the face of regression as the safest fantasy football option on the Detroit Lions

Excerpt:

Matthew Stafford was working toward a potential career year before he got hurt. Does he crack the top-10 QBs in 2020, or does his lack of a rushing ability cap his ceiling?

Matt: I’m just bearish on saying any non-obvious quarterback will definitely finish as a Top-10 option. That said, such a finish is within Stafford’s range of outcomes. The biggest difference between Stafford last year and his previous seasons: He was letting it rip with Darrell Bevell as his offensive coordinator. Stafford averaged 10.6 air yards per pass attempt in 2019 compared to a measly 6.9 the year prior. That shouldn’t go away considering he has two strong vertical receivers starting outside in Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones. Stafford’s early-season schedule (Bears, at Packers, at Cardinals, Saints) isn’t too intimidating. He is on the radar as a late-round quarterback option.

Scott: All that matters is that Stafford has a plausible path to the Top 10, and he’s priced affordably (the current QB13 in Yahoo ADP). He was clicking in Darrell Bevell’s offense before getting hurt, and Stafford has exciting toys to work with. Recency bias is a hell of a drug; your opponents are more likely to focus on Stafford missing two months as opposed to how he crushed it the prior two months. Take advantage.

Liz: A top-ten fantasy finish is certainly in Matt Stafford’s range of possible outcomes. Last year he was on pace to close out 2019 as the 10th-best QB in fantasy, posting five top-six or better outings over the first nine weeks of the year. Stafford’s play seemed reinvigorated under new OC Darrell Bevell, as he flirted with a top-six true passer rating (107.9) and a top-two adjusted yards per attempt (8.6). It’s also worth noting that he was on pace for nearly 36 rush attempts — a higher total than he’d put up since 2016, which could be attributed to Bevell’s run-friendly approach as well as his recent exposure to the success of mobile QBs.

There’s no denying the pass-catchers at Staff’s disposal are next level, but the offensive line gives me pause. With two new starters added to the unit via free agency and the draft, I’ll be curious to see if the group can gel. Last season, Detroit’s offensive trenchmen gave up pressure on 37.5% of Stafford’s dropbacks, allowing an average of exactly two sacks per game. Stafford’s limited mobility — in tandem with his middling protection — creates obvious concern regarding re-injury. Yet, the same could be said of the three QBs I have ranked ahead of him: Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Tom Brady. I just trust those guys more, which is why Stafford is my QB11. 

Lions QB Matthew Stafford has been placed on the team's COVID-19 list. 

He's the first starting quarterback to land on the COVID-19 list, which is designated for players who test positive for the virus or have been in contact with someone who has the virus. Stafford's inclusion on the list is all the more concerning since his wife, Kelly, has struggled through health issues, having surgery last year to remove a brain tumor. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapaport on Twitter

Aug 1, 2020, 4:32 PM ET

How has he not opted out.  He's got two choice here.  Opt out and be with his wife or don't see his wife for the next 8 months.  Anything else is nuts

How has he not opted out.  He's got two choice here.  Opt out and be with his wife or don't see his wife for the next 8 months.  Anything else is nuts
Why? Is she undergoing chemo treatment? I thought she had surgery. I don’t believe that puts her at any higher risk unless she is under chemo treatment, which I don’t believe she is. I could be wrong 

Why? Is she undergoing chemo treatment? I thought she had surgery. I don’t believe that puts her at any higher risk unless she is under chemo treatment, which I don’t believe she is. I could be wrong 
I don't know the details obviously, but I believe it was just a tumor removed. I don't think she had cancer. However, we don't know her full health picture. It was a pretty scary thing to happen to someone so young. I know she had a lot of recovering, PT and other things. I had a friend who had a tumor when he was about 25. It was scary and like Mrs. Stafford, he was facing the real risk of death. The tumor was removed successfully but it caused some sort of brain damage because afterwards he had a total personality change. He dumped his fiance, dropped out of school, stopped going to Church, started drinking regularly, getting lots of tattoos and went from being a super easy going guy to a bit of a confrontational jerk. There can be all kinds of side effects when we have to start operating on the brain. They also have a newborn baby and 3 other kids under the age of 4 plus all the money they could ever need. If I were him, I would be very seriously considering taking the year off. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the details obviously, but I believe it was just a tumor removed. I don't think she had cancer. However, we don't know her full health picture. It was a pretty scary thing to happen to someone so young. I know she had a lot of recovering, PT and other things. I had a friend who had a tumor when he was about 25. It was scary and like Mrs. Stafford, he was facing the real risk of death. The tumor was removed successfully but it caused some sort of brain damage because afterwards he had a total personality change. He dumped his fiance, dropped out of school, stopped going to Church, started drinking regularly, getting lots of tattoos and went from being a super easy going guy to a bit of a confrontational jerk. There can be all kinds of side effects when we have to start operating on the brain. They also have a newborn baby and 3 other kids under the age of 4 plus all the money they could ever need. If I were him, I would be very seriously considering taking the year off. 
I guess I don’t understand why. Yes, it was a scarlet tumor but it’s gone now. Assuming COVID would cause it to come back is a reach, and I don’t recall people who had any kinds of surgeries being high risk for complications if they contracted COVID, unless it was medications that lowered ones immune response.

If covid wasn’t a thing, should he consider taking the year off anyways due to her surgery? I could see that, but she also had a baby since then, which is pretty taxing on ones body in general. 

I guess I don’t understand why. Yes, it was a scarlet tumor but it’s gone now. Assuming COVID would cause it to come back is a reach, and I don’t recall people who had any kinds of surgeries being high risk for complications if they contracted COVID, unless it was medications that lowered ones immune response.

If covid wasn’t a thing, should he consider taking the year off anyways due to her surgery? I could see that, but she also had a baby since then, which is pretty taxing on ones body in general. 
A pandemic is the kind of the thing that could change people's perspectives on things. It has very little to do with her being potentially more or less at risk. I am a teacher and if I was worth $100 million, had 4 young kids and a wife who just had a major health scare that would be enough for me to say, "I'm not going back to school this year" and step down from my job until we have more knowledge of the disease and have it under control. 

A pandemic is the kind of the thing that could change people's perspectives on things. It has very little to do with her being potentially more or less at risk. I am a teacher and if I was worth $100 million, had 4 young kids and a wife who just had a major health scare that would be enough for me to say, "I'm not going back to school this year" and step down from my job until we have more knowledge of the disease and have it under control. 
He is a leader of his team. I think it would be tough if you are a QB. 

Blackbear said:
He is a leader of his team. I think it would be tough if you are a QB. 
I agree, much easier to take a year off as a OG or LB but he is a husband and father. It just depends where one's priorities are. 

Ilov80s said:

Many of the stars make more money on endorsements than from actually playing. When you make millions, chances are you have a bigger house, more expensive cars, and in general a lifestyle that is more than someone making 150k. Opting out might hurt them more in the long term from a financial stability standpoint. Not to mention the PR fallout. There’s a reason no franchise stars have opted out. 
You also have to consider the eventual early expiration date/retirement age for these guys comparable to those of us not professional athletes. Their time is only so much.

Your overall point is a good one, that this can change perspectives for people. We were shut down completely and furloughed at my job this year and one of my close coworkers opted to stay home with her kids instead of come back to work. She enjoyed that time and her husband has a really good job. That’s fine and it’s probably the right decision for her. 

NFL players may very well have this same realization of what’s important in their lives, and that’s great, but singling out Stafford because his wife had surgery on and has fully recovered from a brain tumor seems a little odd to me. If he was going to walk away from sports because of a change of perspective following his wife’s diagnosis, he could have done it just as easily before covid. This disease shouldn’t change his perspective at all. The risks to his family are very small. 

Matt Stafford stands to count 21.3 million against the cap this year. 150k is 0.7% of his salary.

I’m not even sure what a teacher makes these days, but let’s say 100k. Would you stay home if they offered you $7,000 to stay home? I doubt it.

Many of the stars make more money on endorsements than from actually playing. When you make millions, chances are you have a bigger house, more expensive cars, and in general a lifestyle that is more than someone making 150k. Opting out might hurt them more in the long term from a financial stability standpoint. Not to mention the PR fallout. There’s a reason no franchise stars have opted out. 
You also have to consider the eventual early expiration date/retirement age for these guys comparable to those of us not professional athletes. Their time is only so much.

Your overall point is a good one, that this can change perspectives for people. We were shut down completely and furloughed at my job this year and one of my close coworkers opted to stay home with her kids instead of come back to work. She enjoyed that time and her husband has a really good job. That’s fine and it’s probably the right decision for her. 

NFL players may very well have this same realization of what’s important in their lives, and that’s great, but singling out Stafford because his wife had surgery on and has fully recovered from a brain tumor seems a little odd to me. If he was going to walk away from sports because of a change of perspective following his wife’s diagnosis, he could have done it just as easily before covid. This disease shouldn’t change his perspective at all. The risks to his family are very small. 

Matt Stafford stands to count 21.3 million against the cap this year. 150k is 0.7% of his salary.

I’m not even sure what a teacher makes these days, but let’s say 100k. Would you stay home if they offered you $7,000 to stay home? I doubt it.
I doubt he sits out- no signs of that at all. We also don't know if he tested positive or was just potentially exposed. No point in debating it, we don't know him and don't know all the details of her health. We also assume his 4 young children are healthy but we don't know for sure there either. I will say, comparing a teacher to Stafford and $7,000 is ridiculous. Of course he has more expenses than I do. He has also already made $204 million. His situation is a bit unique for the NFL where he has made a massive amount of money, is still young with a large young family, etc. Very few players his age have made anywhere close the kind of fortune he has or have the family he does. I hope he is well and his kids are well and whatever decision he makes, works out for the best. 

I doubt he sits out- no signs of that at all. We also don't know if he tested positive or was just potentially exposed. No point in debating it, we don't know him and don't know all the details of her health. We also assume his 4 young children are healthy but we don't know for sure there either. I will say, comparing a teacher to Stafford and $7,000 is ridiculous. Of course he has more expenses than I do. He has also already made $204 million. His situation is a bit unique for the NFL where he has made a massive amount of money, is still young with a large young family, etc. Very few players his age have made anywhere close the kind of fortune he has or have the family he does. I hope he is well and his kids are well and whatever decision he makes, works out for the best. 
I don’t think it’s ridiculous. It’s an apples to apples comparison. 
Ask anyone if they would take a year making 0.7% of their normal salary, and not have to make major sacrifices to their life styles. I would imagine the vast majority of them would say no. 
Just because Stafford has made hundreds of millions doesn’t mean he can walk away from 20more. Just the same as you couldn’t walk away from 99.3% of your salary

I could walk away from 100% of my salary if I already made $200+ million in my career. Could being the emphasis.

I could walk away from 100% of my salary if I already made $200+ million in my career. Could being the emphasis.
I think this is a common misconception regarding athletes. 
Stafford hasn’t personally taken home 200 million. He wants to set his kids and grandkids up for life I’m sure, plus philanthropic ventures and family. He also may have many bills for his wife’s health care. Factor in his life style. Taxes. Agent fees. Granted many of us would take whatever the net take home is in a heart beat, but I doubt he is going for a swim in his money pool every morning like Scrooge McDuck, and I imagine he would have to make some significant sacrifice of his current lifestyle to walk away from 21 million for a year 

Users who are viewing this thread