What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Woodyard (1 Viewer)

@JeneBramel: Fox said last week they'd rotate some. Expected Brooking on some base downs, but not this many.

Briefly discussed this in my column last week. Brooking rotated in last week before hamstring injury limited him for most of the last three quarters. John Fox suggested they'd do more rotation this week. I thought it was worth watching his snaps and cautioned against using Woodyard (and Mays) as more than LB3s. Also noted possible rotation in every-down linebacker list. Surprising that rotation has been this heavy though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Woodyard isnt an every down back going forward?

Or is he just rotating out in a small number of nickel and dime packages?

Briefly discussed this in my column last week. Brooking rotated in last week before hamstring injury limited him for most of the last three quarters. John Fox suggested they'd do more rotation this week. I thought it was worth watching his snaps and cautioned against using Woodyard (and Mays) as more than LB3s. Also noted possible rotation in every-down linebacker list. Surprising that rotation has been this heavy though.
It will be really cool when/if DJ comes back. Maybe the only 3 down LB on the team will be Miller. A sucky 4 man rotation of Woodyard, Mays, Brooking, and DJ for us to deal with.

Woodyard seems to be having some solid production for not being in all that much...

'Khy said:
Woodyard seems to be having some solid production for not being in all that much...
Woodyard played 89% of defensive snaps, Brooking played 11%, I don't think it is that big of a deal.Also keep in mind, Woodyard is the special teams Captain and plays a big role there, I imagine when covering a punt or kickoff, he may need a couple plays to catch his breath and judging by play counts that may add up here. He played 27% or 6 more plays on special teams which may have been kickoffs and punts.

Wow I didnt think it was that much. Seems like 1st & 2nd downs all I saw was Brooking. What a sloppy game though. Now the question is, will he be a good start vs HOU? Since they like to pound the ball with 2 very good RBs will Brooking be in more?

Wow I didnt think it was that much. Seems like 1st & 2nd downs all I saw was Brooking. What a sloppy game though. Now the question is, will he be a good start vs HOU? Since they like to pound the ball with 2 very good RBs will Brooking be in more?
This is what I noticed, as well. From what I could tell it was Mays/Brooking almost entirely in the 1st quarther and thereafter when it was an expected running down. Mays got injured for a series or two in the second half and Woodyard took his place. Woodyard played very well when he was in and showed good pursuit on both runs and passes. Brooking is mediocre at best and was slow (hamstring?) and missed tackles so have no idea why coaching staff would have him in that much.

I was wrong about Woodyard's play count, I was looking at week 1 numbers, I thought the link in the other thread went to week 2, as it said "week 2 numbers are up", I assumed, which we all know is stupid.

FWIW, Norton has him highly ranked this week. He must not think Brooking is too much of a concern.

FWIW, Norton has him highly ranked this week. He must not think Brooking is too much of a concern.
Saw that too. Personally, I'm not trusting the ranking given how they rotated in ATL but maybe we'll get more insight on the Audible or RTD.Seems it would be a weak matchup given the run-heavy HOU offense and unlikely HOU will be playing from behind.

it's still early.I haven't ever seen the rankings, or know what his routine is, but sometimes those type of things are fairly automated early in the week, then they comb through them later.that's a lot of guys to keep track of.unless you find something different from the team, and I doubt you will, I most certainly wouldn't trust woodyard at this point.

Guy was still very productive given the rotation and Brooking looked absolutely putrid.

Hopefully Fox gets this one figured out.

Just give the kid a full time job and enjoy the results already Denver!

Unless being demoted for an 85 year old LB isn't a big deal.
DJ Williams may not ever play another snap for the Broncos.
That's why I picked up Woodyard again.

Unless being demoted for an 85 year old LB isn't a big deal.
not sure it's much of a demotion. Brooking was signed for a reason and hadn't played a down during the preseason. From everything I have seen/read the Broncos haven't viewed Woodyard as an every-down player. That said, it's Keith Brooking we are talking about. I am going to start Woodyard with confidence this week and I'll probably roll with him until he is taken out of the lineup. I think rookie Danny Trevathan may be as much a threat to Wood's PT as Williams. Williams may very well have played his last down as a Bronco. We'll see...

I thought Woodyard was going to be a sleeper but he's not panning out. :thumbdown:
Ok course not. John Fox has to play the (too) old vet in Brooking. Hopefully he hits the bench. I'm sure it will get muddier week 7 or 8 if/when DJ comes back
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000077536/3 more games added to DJ Williams suspension.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos will be without linebacker D.J. Williams until mid-November after the NFL added three games to his suspension Friday. Williams, the team's leading tackler in four of the last five seasons, won't be eligible to return to the Broncos until Nov. 12.

Hey Jene, can you provide us with any information, updates, or thoughts about the Denver LBs this week? DJ is back now after the long wait. He restructured his contract, so I think both sides want the best for the team. Mays is gone, so do you think he will play MLB to fill the need (with Woodyard playing well at WLB) or do you see him being eased back in and not be worth lineup consideration for a little while?

This is a pretty big deal for those of us with Woodyard, DJ, or both of them. Does DJ stick it to Woodyard owners?

I doubt they will reduce Woodyard's role. Why would anyone with a brain give DJ what Woodyard earned? I think Denver is smarter than that.

I doubt they will reduce Woodyard's role. Why would anyone with a brain give DJ what Woodyard earned? I think Denver is smarter than that.
Stranger things have happened. It took several games and a Brooking concussion for Denver to start Woodyard and play him in base packages. Besides, DJ Williams earned what Woodyard has before Woodyard did. I see this potentially similar to the Indy Angerer/Freeman situation.

OK so did anyone watch the game to see what Denver's base and sub-packages looked like? Woodyard did his thing and DJ had 3-1, which isn't bad if he was filtering in some kind of rotation. Did he play MLB?

didnt watch the whole game, but did see DJ coming out on obvious passing situations when the Broncos went dime/nickel.

'UT_Chad said:
Is DJ a good start this week? I'm very curious if he'll play every down.
Lot of people curious about that. Fox hasn't come out and said it one way or the other. I'd lean towards DJ getting a lot of snaps tonight, but some of it may be conditioning related, does Fox feel like DJ can handle going from sporadic snaps to a full load? I thought he looked good last week with the snaps he had.I hope he plays, I have him one league with playoffs this week and am leaning towards benching him due to safer options. If I knew DJ would play every-down, I'd roll with him, but I have other pretty good options.

'flapgreen said:
I'm cursed. Have many of my players can get hurt at once? :wall:
You and me both. I was rolling along just fine until week 9. Now my team is struggling entering the playoffs... Why can't Fox just make things easier and say DJ will play every down? Is that too much to ask for? :wall:

DJ started off playing every down then looked like he only played 3rd. WTF happened? 4 solos and 1 assist first half and nothing the second. :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread