Ric878

Yahoo Import

59 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a first year member here at Footballguys.com and am glad I became a member. The apps and information are great. After getting myself setup in Draft Dominator I quickly found out that keeping my leagues maintained was going to take some work. Fortunately I have a couple of leagues on MFL so the import tool has helped there. I also have 3 leagues on Yahoo Fantasy Football and keeping them up has been a challenge so I decided to try and write an app that could automate the task for me. I'm assuming that there are others that would be interested in this too so I am planning on releasing it to the community in the next few days. I'm definitely not a professional programmer, at best I'm a hobbyist so there will inevitably be issues. The program is written in python, so anyone familiar with python can help out or contribute. I'm currently having issues packing the app into a windows executable which will make distributing it a bit less user friendly. If I can't resolve this you will have to install they python interpreter and required libraries in order to run it which will be a bit less user friendly. So far here is what I have accomplished.

Here is what the app will do for now:

• [*]The app needs your old league DDF file in order to import the league settings. Once you provide the location of your old DDF it will import your scoring settings. I have not had time to get the app to import the setting directly from Yahoo but I'm not to worried about that until next draft season comes up. [*]The app will import every teams players and name the teams according to their Yahoo team names

Here is what the app will not do:

• The app currently does not import the draft results or draft order
  • The app does not import your schedule. Since I use the imported file for Lineup Dominator and set my next weeks opponent manually this is not a big deal for me
  • The app occasionally misses a player. This is mostly due to Yahoo using Different name spellings than Draft Dominator/Lineup Dominator. An example of this is Yahoo using Bennie Wells instead of Chirs Wells. I have fixed this for the most popular players but there may be cases where an obscure player has not been correctly mapped in my app
  • The app does not grab the team caps just yet as I'm not in any leagues that are auction based but I'm sure I can have that added pretty soon
  • There may be several other things it can't do just yet but I don't use every single feature of DD and LD as I'm still learning how to use them myself

I'm going to continue to try and get this packaged so it is easier to distribute over the next couple of days and will keep everyone updated. I hope this will help a few of you and will post an update soon.

Thanks,

Edited by Ric878

Okay,

Here it is. Please read the instruction and limitations of this app.

Here is what the app will do for now:

• The app needs your old league DDF file in order to import the league settings. Once you provide the location of your old DDF it will import your scoring settings. I have not had time to get the app to import the setting directly from Yahoo but I'm not to worried about that until next draft season comes up.
  • The app will import every teams players and name the teams according to their Yahoo team names
  • The app will import regular season schedule. You still have to manually enter playoffs

Here is what the app will not do:

• The app currently does not import the draft results or draft order. It puts in a draft order because it seems that DD and LD need this but it is not a valid or real draft order.
  • The app does not import your schedule. Since I use the imported file for Lineup Dominator and set my next weeks opponent manually this is not a big deal for me Added in version 0.1.2.1
  • The app occasionally misses a player. This is mostly due to Yahoo using Different name spellings than Draft Dominator/Lineup Dominator. An example of this is Yahoo using Bennie Wells instead of Chirs Wells. I have fixed this for the most popular players but there may be cases where an obscure player has not been correctly mapped in my app
  • The app does not grab the team caps just yet as I'm not in any leagues that are auction based but I'm sure I can have that added pretty soon
  • There may be several other things it can't do just yet but I don't use every single feature of DD and LD as I'm still learning how to use them myself

Instructions:

1. Download the zip file
  2. Extract the zip file
  3. Launch the app Yahoo_DDF_Import.exe
  4. Fill in the required information
  5. League ID can be found by going to your team page and looking at the URL. Example, the highlighted portion is the league ID http://football.fant...s.yahoo.com/f1/123432/3
  6. Team ID can be found by going to your team page and looking at the URL. Example, the highlighted portion is the league ID http://football.fant....com/f1/365578/3
  7. Select the DDF file that you want to import your setting from
  8. Click the "Start Import"
  9. The app will create a DDF file with the same name as the file you selected appended by the current date in the same folder as the original file. Example, you tell it to use my league.ddf it will output my_league-09-24-2012.ddf

If this is your first time running the app or you have deleted your stored key it will ask you for authorization. Please follow the prompts and enter the authorization pin when requested.

The app creates a log file. Please read this log file for any players that were missed. If the app seriously fails the errors should be in the log file. Please report missed players and errors to me.

Yahoo DDF Import Download http://ddfimport.zflame.com/downloads/YahooImport-0.3.2.1.zip Current Version

Extract the PlayerDB Update file into the folder where you have the Yahoo Import program. This will overwrite two files and update the player database to limit missed players during import.

Change Log:

Ver 0.3.2.1 - 09-11-2013

Made some changes that will hopefilly imporve import speed

Updated Player Database to be current with DD

Ver 0.3.1.3
Updated Player Database to be current with DD

Ver 0.3.1.2
Bug Fixes
This version allows umlaut characters used in several languages including German to be used in team names. Without this fix import failed if the team name had these characters. This version is otherwise the exact same as the previous version. If you are not in a league that has team names with umlaut characters there is no need to upgrade. Thanks to forum member fraggle for identifying this issue.

Ver 0.3.1.1
Bug Fixes
When you save a new profile rather than blanking the profile data and forcing you to re-select the profile that you just created it will stay on the new profile
The file path to the source DDF file is stored in the proifle

Ver 0.3.1.0
New Features
Added the ability to overwrite old files that were created in the same day
Added the ability to save league profiles so you don't have to enter your league ID and team ID every time you run the app

Ver 0.2.1.1
Fixed a bug that would not allow you to move players back and forth from the player pool

Ver 0.2.1
Fixed problem where players were not color coded in the team data window
Fixed issue where the GUI would "freeze" during the import process. This provides better progress feedback
Fix for the start import process to grey out all buttons until the import is complete
Misc code clean up

Ver 0.1.2.1
Schedule import has been added
Code cleanup

Ver 0.1.1
Initial public release

Edited by Ric878

Just happened to find this - looks great and I'm downloading now. I have my league on DD but haven't touched it since the draft, so this will be really helpful.

Just happened to find this - looks great and I'm downloading now. I have my league on DD but haven't touched it since the draft, so this will be really helpful.

Let me know how it works out for you.Thanks,

I just messed with it a little bit and it seemed to work well. If it continues to work, Thank you very much! :banned: It will be a Huge help on my Yahoo league.

While you are at it, why don't you create a program that imports from MFL better than the current one does? It does not work well with more complicated lineup settings and scoring rules.

New version up 0.3.1.2. Read change log for updates and changes.

This is pretty awesome Ric878. Thanks.

No problem. I'm glad it's useful.

I have added a player DB update zip file to the available downloads. Please download this file and unzip into the Yahoo Import Application folder to updated the player database. If you have any questions let me know.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check in and see how the app has been working for everyone. Suggestions are definitely welcomed. I was planning on adding an auto update feature for the player DB but haven't had time to get to it. Let me know your experience with the app.

Thanks,

This is an AMAZING tool!!!

Do you have plans to update the player file for 2013 rookies and such?

Wow I missed this last year although I only have one Yahoo league I'll try it this year if you get 2013 up and running.

That said ... maybe you can build an MFL version since FBG's appears to not be making that a priority for some reason :)

Wow I missed this last year although I only have one Yahoo league I'll try it this year if you get 2013 up and running.

That said ... maybe you can build an MFL version since FBG's appears to not be making that a priority for some reason :)

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not responding earlier. I thought I had it set to send me an email update if anyone responded to this post which did not happen. Anyways....

Yes, I do plan on updating this for the 2013 season. As far as the MFL version goes, I currently have no plans on creating an app to import MFL leagues at this time. That does not mean I will not develop one. My main reason for developing an app for Yahoo FF started as a selfish motivation because I had a few leagues on Yahoo. I saw no reason to keep the app to myself so I shared it with everyone here. I currently do not have any teams on MFL. I'll look into their API and see what I can do.

Edited by Ric878
1 person likes this

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not responding earlier. I thought I had it set to send me an email update if anyone responded to this post which did not happen. Anyways....

Yes, I do plan on updating this for the 2013 season. As far as the MFL version goes, I currently have no plans on creating an app to import MFL leagues at this time. That does not mean I will not develop one. My main reason for developing an app for Yahoo FF started as a selfish motivation because I had a few leagues on Yahoo. I saw no reason to keep the app to myself so I shared it with everyone here. I currently do not have any teams on MFL. I'll look into their API and see what I can do.

You'll find MFL's API 100x easier to get info from than Yahoo's. That was my experience, anyway!

Hi Guys,

You'll find MFL's API 100x easier to get info from than Yahoo's. That was my experience, anyway!

Since FBG provides an MFL Import, why would you need another?

Hi Guys,

Since FBG provides an MFL Import, why would you need another?

I have no plans on duplicating an app that already exists. Looks like there may be some confusion on the MFL import app but as has been stated, the MFL import app has been updated for the 2013 season http://subscribers.f...MI60a_Setup.exe . Hope this clears things up.

Your yahoo app worked a lot better for me than the MFL app did. The biggest problem I have with the MFL app is that if you have scoring rules that are more than basic (ie bonus for mulitple tackles, multiple touchdowns, etc.) it totally messes up the scoring in general and you have to go into DD or LD and change them every time you import. I did not run into that with your yahoo app. I understand yahoo's scoring is more basic, but it would be great if the MFL app only read the basic scoring parameters.

Your yahoo app worked a lot better for me than the MFL app did. The biggest problem I have with the MFL app is that if you have scoring rules that are more than basic (ie bonus for mulitple tackles, multiple touchdowns, etc.) it totally messes up the scoring in general and you have to go into DD or LD and change them every time you import. I did not run into that with your yahoo app. I understand yahoo's scoring is more basic, but it would be great if the MFL app only read the basic scoring parameters.

In all fairness my app does not import scoring rules. You have to set them yourself during the initial setup of your league. What my app does is import the scoring settings that you have setup and then imports the current rosters directly from Yahoo. So whatever scoring rules and league setup you initially manually setup just get copied and then the rosters get downloaded from Yahoo. I specifically did this because I ran into issues with importing league settings from Yahoo.

The reason my app may have worked better is because it did not mess with whatever league settings and scoring rules you setup. I thought this would be a better overall approach. If there is a need for something similar for an MFL import I might consider filling the niche. I of course do not want to step on Footballguys.com proverbial toes as they have been great in assisting me during the development of my Yahoo Import App.

In all fairness my app does not import scoring rules. You have to set them yourself during the initial setup of your league. What my app does is import the scoring settings that you have setup and then imports the current rosters directly from Yahoo. So whatever scoring rules and league setup you initially manually setup just get copied and then the rosters get downloaded from Yahoo. I specifically did this because I ran into issues with importing league settings from Yahoo.

The reason my app may have worked better is because it did not mess with whatever league settings and scoring rules you setup. I thought this would be a better overall approach. If there is a need for something similar for an MFL import I might consider filling the niche. I of course do not want to step on Footballguys.com proverbial toes as they have been great in assisting me during the development of my Yahoo Import App.

forgot about that. That would be GREAT if you created an app that only imports the rosters only.

Okay everyone. I have done some testing and the app seems to still be compatible with Yahoo, so aside from updating the player DB no major modification is going to be needed. I hope to have an updated player DB by end of week.

On another note, as was mentioned by Simon Shepherd, the MFLs API is much easier to work with. So if there is a need/demand for an MFL import app I am open to writing an app to fill that need/demand. To be clear, this app would initially be similar in scope to the current Yahoo import app in that it would import team rosters and scheduled opponents NOT league settings. You would still have to create your own league with all the league settings manually. Let me know what you guys think. Oh, and before I forget, if I do create this app it is not likely I would have it ready for the season opener so it may be mid September before I'm done.

Thanks,

Ric a Yahoo! import app for this season would be amazing.

Thanks a ton

Okay everyone. I have done some testing and the app seems to still be compatible with Yahoo, so aside from updating the player DB no major modification is going to be needed. I hope to have an updated player DB by end of week.

On another note, as was mentioned by Simon Shepherd, the MFLs API is much easier to work with. So if there is a need/demand for an MFL import app I am open to writing an app to fill that need/demand. To be clear, this app would initially be similar in scope to the current Yahoo import app in that it would import team rosters and scheduled opponents NOT league settings. You would still have to create your own league with all the league settings manually. Let me know what you guys think. Oh, and before I forget, if I do create this app it is not likely I would have it ready for the season opener so it may be mid September before I'm done.

Thanks,

An MFL app that would only import rosters and opponents would be AWESOME!!! But you already know my feelings on that.

Any updates here? I am really looking for a tool to sync ffpc leagues with draft and lineup dominator

The app has been updated with the latest player database. No other changes have been made.

Ric878, Thank you SO much for your hard work! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your Yahoo import tool!!! Hey, just a couple problems that I noticed (one I'm sure you CAN fix, the other - you probably cannot fix). The first problem is that LeVeon Bell does not seem to be included in the new player database - I assume you can fix this. The second problem has to do with the way that DD handles players not in the DD database (like Marcus Lattimore for Dynasty Leagues). I assume that there's no way that your import tool can encorporate players like Lattimore because they're not in the DD database, correct?

Thanks again, SO much for your hard work. I cannot express how much I appreciate it!

- M

Ric878, Thank you SO much for your hard work! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your Yahoo import tool!!! Hey, just a couple problems that I noticed (one I'm sure you CAN fix, the other - you probably cannot fix). The first problem is that LeVeon Bell does not seem to be included in the new player database - I assume you can fix this. The second problem has to do with the way that DD handles players not in the DD database (like Marcus Lattimore for Dynasty Leagues). I assume that there's no way that your import tool can encorporate players like Lattimore because they're not in the DD database, correct?

Thanks again, SO much for your hard work. I cannot express how much I appreciate it!

- M

That shouldn't be a problem to add LeVeon Bell. I will upload a new version in the next day or so. As for the other issue it is exactly as you said, if the player is not in the DD database then the app will not be able to import them.

Thanks,

Edited by Ric878

I must be doing something wrong. I get an error message that says, "An error was encountered. Source DDF not found". Can anyone help me? Thanks.

I must be doing something wrong. I get an error message that says, "An error was encountered. Source DDF not found". Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Hi Bob,

Could you describe what you did to get to that error. Please keep in mind that you must select your original DDF file that you setup for your league.

Thanks,

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Been busy traveling for work. So, first things first. Do you already have your league setup in Draft Dominator? You should have your basic settings and league profile setup before attempting an import. This must be done manually. If so, you should make note of where you have your league profile saved. The default location is C:\FBG\DraftDominator the name of the file will be something like "yourleaugename.ddf" this is the file that you need to select in my app. When you launch the Yahoo import app you need to fill in three required fields:

League ID

Team ID

DDF File There will be a button saying "Choose DDF File for settings" Click on this button and navigate to the location where you have your DDF file saved and select it.

Once you have that done you should be able to click on "Start Import" this will import your league rosters into a new leauge file with the following naming convention "yourleaugename-today's-date.ddf" for example myYahooLeague-2013-09-12.ddf. Now you should be able to open Draft Dominator and open your newly created league file with updated roster data.

Let me know if this helps.

Edited by Ric878

Ric878,

I have not been able to successfully run the new version 3.2.1. I keep getting a error (cx_Freeze: Python error in main script). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! - Marty

Ric878,

I have not been able to successfully run the new version 3.2.1. I keep getting a error (cx_Freeze: Python error in main script). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! - Marty

That is strange. Could you give me some details on OS and system specs? Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I will do some testing on my side to see if I can duplicate the error. Any steps or additional info would be helpful.

Thanks,

OK Ric, here goes. WIndows 8 Professional System Rating: 3.4 Processor : Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz 1.87 GHz Installed memory: 4.00 GB System type: 32 bit Operating System , x64 based processor No pen or touch input available for this display. Windows is activated. I run Firefox ver 23.0.1 as my browser.

Thanks yet AGAIN for your help! - Marty

Ric, FYI - I tried to run the import tool on another Windows 8 computer, and I basically got the same error. I hope this helps. - Marty