What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick Vs. RGIII (1 Viewer)

Vick or RGIII

• Vick

Votes: 17 17.9%
  • RGIII

Votes: 78 82.1%

• Total voters

therush

Footballguy
Both obviously have very similar playing styles.

Even in his rookie season though, RGIII seems less turnover prone.

Vick probably has better weapons while RGIII has the better line.

RGIII #1 in QB scoring (#2 to Ryan maybe depending on your scoring system).

RGIII has taken less of the hits Vick has taken over the course of his career and is still willing to make a dive to the end zone from 5 yards out.

I might lean on RGIII having the better schedule.

Who has the better rest of the year? :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
I deff. thing RG3.

His passing is better than Vick's IMO.

That's what it comes down to, if you can run 70+ yards a game that's nice to watch as a fan, but if your turning the ball over every game multiple times it's hurting your team. Vick is fun to watch but he makes a lot of mistakes that a veteran like himself shouldn't be. RG3 is a rookie and already looks this good. Imagine when he gets use to the NFL a little bit more.

I think their per game scoring average will be pretty close with a slight edge to RG3, but the question is who can stay on the field longer without getting hurt?

I'd go RG3 only because we know Vick's a virtual certainty to get hurt at some point during the season. We don't know anything about Griffin's durability at the pro level yet. But when both are healthy it's looking like a toss-up.

They've scored within a point of each other each week. I have both and I'll pick based on the matchup every week and who's injured. I am worried about RG3's ability to continue putting up the same amount of points as (1) every skin gets injured (2) defenses get more tape on him and adjust to defend against his play style.

It goes against conventional wisdom for a rookie qb to be safer, but I think that is the case here. From watching the first two eagles games I think there is a 0% chance Vick plays all 16 games. And I also don't think the turnovers are going to stop. Rg3's poise and throwing ability has been more than impressive and his running ability gives him as much upside as anyone on a week to week basis. Vick will be a good fantasy qb (with plenty of upside) as long as he is healthy, but if I am choosing one as my starter for the rest of the season, I'll take rg3

Rodgers/Brees/Brady still 1-2-3?

Matt Ryan?

RGIII-Newton-Vick?

RGIII vs Newton?

I think RGIII's offensive line is very underrated, while Vicks line is falling apart.

RGIII also hasn't even played a home game yet!

I disagree. RG3 has excellent accuracy. He can hit a downfield receiver in stride, and before Garcon got hurt, you saw WAS trying to run plays like this. Vick, not so much. He's great at buying time for his receivers to get open, but he's not good at throwing into tight coverage. Thus Vick's value is far more dependent on the health of his WRs than is RG3.More importantly, though, RG3 gets designed runs, while Vick doesn't. When Vick runs the ball, it's usually because something went wrong with the play. With RG3, a QB draw is often the first option. So I think there's a fairly significant difference in style between the two. And for fantasy purposes, I'm more bullish on RG3 than Vick.

RG3's decision making > Vick

RG3's deep ball > Vick

RG3's accuracy > Vick

RG3's speed > Vick

RG3's durability > Vick

RG3 vs. the rush > Vick

Yeah, it's real early, but they're not in the same ball park imho. All Vick has on RG3 is experience, which may make a difference this year, but by next year it will be a moot point.

Rg3 hasn't thrown downfield much yet and had the easiest 2 game schedule of anyone in the league. Give it some time and play the matchups. It's easy to be accurate throwing to the left and right of the line of scrimmage.

Should add a poll.

I lean towards RG3 because I don't think Vick can play a full season.

RG3 has shown amazing potential in his two games, skys the limit - im inclined to say he is already better than Vick in every regard but arm strength. But there isnt enough info to make that claim yet, he seems to have great vision and awareness making a few rookie mistakes but nothing nearly as bad imo as Vick's playstyle just being much worse (whether that is by design or not idk, but I lay the blame justly or not on Vick's shoulders).

Also to my knowledge RG3 isn't a scumbag, so theres that.

Both obviously have very similar playing styles. Even in his rookie season though, RGIII seems less turnover prone.
Really? Vick had 3 INTs in 113 attempts in his rookie season. He had 8 INTS in 421 attempts in his first year as a starter. On the basis of one INT in 55 attempts you're going to call RG3 less turnover prone?
Who has the better rest of the year?
Vick, barring insanity or injury.

Both obviously have very similar playing styles. Even in his rookie season though, RGIII seems less turnover prone.
Really? Vick had 3 INTs in 113 attempts in his rookie season. He had 8 INTS in 421 attempts in his first year as a starter. On the basis of one INT in 55 attempts you're going to call RG3 less turnover prone?
That's not what he meant.He meant in RG3's rookie season vs the Vick that has been in the NFL since coming out of prison. Which is still debatable, not much info here and Vick has had a good season since being back.

Who has the better rest of the year?
Vick, barring insanity or injury.
Not to mention, RGIII has faced what will probably end up being two of the bottom 10 teams in pass defense this season. Vick didn't see much action in the pre-season and there was bound to be some rust. He looked much better last week against BAL. He still has his WTF moments, but it seem like people can't see past that.

'MAC_32 said:
RG3's deep ball > VickRG3's accuracy > Vick
I dunno about this, Vick threw some great passes in that Baltimore game. Specifically the bomb to djax and a cross the body on the run toss to Clay Harbor on the game winning drive.

Everyone loves to hate on Vick, especially with his 6 interceptions on top of things. He's still the #5 QB right now in my league and there are guys who never would trade for him, even if he was #1. Seems like even his bad games put up solid numbers and I think he finishes ahead of RG3 this year barring health. RG3 has looked spectacular for a rookie, but he's bound to slow down soon enough.

Everyone loves to hate on Vick, especially with his 6 interceptions on top of things. He's still the #5 QB right now in my league and there are guys who never would trade for him, even if he was #1. Seems like even his bad games put up solid numbers and I think he finishes ahead of RG3 this year barring health. RG3 has looked spectacular for a rookie, but he's bound to slow down soon enough.
Cam Newton still put up pretty solid numbers over the course of the year or did he slow down?

'Snotbubbles said:
Not to mention, RGIII has faced what will probably end up being two of the bottom 10 teams in pass defense this season.
Griffin looked better against StL than Stafford did. Griffin looked as good against NO as Newton did.ETA: and Griffin has played 7/8 quarters without his #1 wideout.

'Snotbubbles said:
Not to mention, RGIII has faced what will probably end up being two of the bottom 10 teams in pass defense this season.
Griffin looked better against StL than Stafford did. Griffin looked as good against NO as Newton did.ETA: and Griffin has played 7/8 quarters without his #1 wideout.
What does any of that have to do with Michael Vick?

Newtons last 8 games were average. He dropped off significantly because teams were able to study his tendencies. It's normal for rookies to have that happen.

'Snotbubbles said:
What does any of that have to do with Michael Vick?
Snotbubbles: *point about RGIII*SSoG: *response to point about RGIII*snotbubbles: "What does this have to do with Michael Vick?"SSoG: :whoosh:

Newtons last 8 games were average. He dropped off significantly because teams were able to study his tendencies. It's normal for rookies to have that happen.
You've got a funny definition of average. From week 10 to week 17 (8 weeks), Newton was a top-5 fantasy QB, Behind only Brady, Brees, Stafford, and Rogers. I'd take an "average" finish to the season like that from Griffin any day of the week.

Both can run, both have a cannon arm, and both are very hard to defend.

But here's the difference: I think after two games, RGIII already sees the field better than Vick.

Vick seems at his best when he can improvise, but I don't think he'll ever be a consistent passing QB. He doesn't seem to be able to go through his progressions game in and game out.

I disagree. RG3 has excellent accuracy. He can hit a downfield receiver in stride, and before Garcon got hurt, you saw WAS trying to run plays like this. Vick, not so much. He's great at buying time for his receivers to get open, but he's not good at throwing into tight coverage. Thus Vick's value is far more dependent on the health of his WRs than is RG3.More importantly, though, RG3 gets designed runs, while Vick doesn't. When Vick runs the ball, it's usually because something went wrong with the play. With RG3, a QB draw is often the first option. So I think there's a fairly significant difference in style between the two. And for fantasy purposes, I'm more bullish on RG3 than Vick.
That deep TD that RGIII threw against the Rams was perfect. And another WR dropped a deep pass that was just as pretty. Vick's always had a rocket arm, but he isn't very accurate.

Rg3 hasn't thrown downfield much yet and had the easiest 2 game schedule of anyone in the league.
To address "RGIII hasn't thrown downfield much", in the Rams game, RG threw a perfect pass for a long TD, and had another perfect long TD pass that was dropped.To address the "easy" schedule:

Here's a little peek into how St. Louis and New Orleans did to opposing QBs at end the 2011 season:

Week 15: CIN vs. ST. LOUIS

Andy Dalton 15/26 for 179 no TDs, one INT

Week 17: CAR vs. NEW ORLEANS

Cam Newton 15/25 for 158 and one TD

And now you're going to tell me that NFL defenses don't have much film on RG yet, right? I don't buy that. It's well known that Shanahan has imported a lot of the playbook from Baylor to make RG more comfortable.

Look, all we can do is watch these games and report what our eyes tell us. And my eyes tell me that RG looks poised, calm, and NFL-ready.

I need to see more than 2 games.
I've seen 10, the other 8 are just as strong as these 2.
College doesn't count.
Stats don't, but he can be evaluated. Decision making, deep ball, accuracy, speed, and a great head on his shoulders were all there - every reason to believe it'd translate. Those that believed have him on their rosters, those that doubted are trying to figure out a way to get him on their roster...or resigned to the fact that they'll have to wait til next year. The player that's been out these first 2 games is the same guy as college.

I like RG3, but the hype and lovefest here is eerily similar to that of Vick's back when he was a young'un.

One point people fail to mention is that the NFL RG3 is stepping into as a rook is vastly different than what Vick saw as a rookie. In case you guys haven't noticed, it's alot easier to throw the ball these days.

I like RG3, but the hype and lovefest here is eerily similar to that of Vick's back when he was a young'un.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Vick has started 12 or more games six times in his career. He has finished as a top 12 QB in every single one of those seasons. He has three top-3 finishes in that span, including one season where he only played 12 games yet still finished 3rd (he was arguably the single biggest difference maker at any position that year). Despite his struggles this year, he ranks 6th in the league. He's the only player in history to sign two different $100million contracts. If RGIII winds up being as disappointing as Mike Vick, I'll be absolutely thrilled. Unless you think he's a risk to run an illegal dogfighting operation and spend his prime years in prison, of course.

I am so surprised by the voting. This can be done every year after week 2. Pick vet with 4+ years in league and compare him to the rookie that is tearing it up after 2 weeks. See this every year, kinda like a Jared Cook thread...

I am so surprised by the voting. This can be done every year after week 2. Pick vet with 4+ years in league and compare him to the rookie that is tearing it up after 2 weeks. See this every year, kinda like a Jared Cook thread...
The hype was rightfully thick for RG3 long before the hot start, this is just justification.

I assumed the poll was for redraft. I went with Vick because the Eagles are a much better team...but it's close. I'd expect Vick to have only a small ppg edge, with RG3 playing closer to 16 games and taking the total points. Couldn't fault anyone for going RG3 instead.

Dynasty it isn't even remotely close....RG3 all the way. Griffin looks like he's going to deliver on the promise Vick had as a rookie.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Vick has started 12 or more games six times in his career. He has finished as a top 12 QB in every single one of those seasons. He has three top-3 finishes in that span, including one season where he only played 12 games yet still finished 3rd (he was arguably the single biggest difference maker at any position that year). Despite his struggles this year, he ranks 6th in the league. He's the only player in history to sign two different $100million contracts. If RGIII winds up being as disappointing as Mike Vick, I'll be absolutely thrilled. Unless you think he's a risk to run an illegal dogfighting operation and spend his prime years in prison, of course.
No I say that because it's an ironic thing since this whole thread is about comparing RG3 to Vick. And yes Vick WAS a disappointment during his Atlanta years for the amount of hype he was receiving because he never lived up to his potential as a passer. Rg3 is now being pimped like he's Vick with a better head so yes he could very easily disappoint in the same manner. RG3's advantage over Vick right now are his younger legs, but watch the 4th quarter of the Rams game and you'll see that he's still got a long ways to go as a passer.

Vick's accuracy is very underrated actually, it's his decision making that get's him in trouble sometimes, not his accuracy. But most of you box score watchers wouldn't understand that. I've yet to see Vick throw a pick this year as bad as the one RGIII had last week when he jumped off of one foot to throw the rock, that was pretty embarrassing.

Since the OP mentioned RGIII being the #1 QB, I am assuming this is referring to these two as Fantasy QBs, not real-NFL QBs.

Real NFL, the answer is Vick, but that is largely because he is going to have the better team. With the injuries in Washington's D, they are going to need to rely on RGIII more, and he is a rookie, and teams will adjust as they get more tape. For the poster who said something like "they saw him play at Baylor, and Shanahan is using a lot of Baylor's playbook;" go back and check your DVR from after week 1. MANY talking heads/experts/writers were making note of how in preseason, Washington showed VERY LITTLE of the ways they would use RGIII in week 1. If these NFL teams had Baylor tape, and Shanny is using Baylor's plays, this point wouldn't have been made.

With regards to FF QB for this year, I'm going to say RGIII (especially if your league doesn't penalize for INTs). Washington is going to have to throw more, with their defense suddenly shaky, and when he can't throw, RGIII can run. Assuming he stays healthy, I expect him to finish ahead of Vick, although maybe not in PPG (you almost have to expect Vick to get hurt).

Vick's accuracy is very underrated actually, it's his decision making that get's him in trouble sometimes, not his accuracy. But most of you box score watchers wouldn't understand that. I've yet to see Vick throw a pick this year as bad as the one RGIII had last week when he jumped off of one foot to throw the rock, that was pretty embarrassing.
Yeah, Griffins 1 pick was so much worse than any of Vick's 6. :lmao:

if we talking fantasy i will take vick all day

if we talking real life i will take the qb whose team will be in the playoffs

vick wins both

fanboying after 2 games is hillarious

Please don't compare rg3 to cook. It's insulting

Users who are viewing this thread