Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
cosjobs

*****OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX THREAD*****

F1 postponed through Monaco (May 24)

3 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Monaco race is officially cancelled.  The other races are simply postponed at this point.

Monaco has decided it cannot stage the race through its streets later in the year - thus it is cancelled.

Got my first email from Mid-Ohio regarding the IMSA race weekend in May. Postponed until further notice. The only silver lining to all this is that they will have a lot weekends available from the end of July till mid December to reschedule. 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, Sinn Fein said:

:kicksrock:

-QG

13 minutes ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

Anyone seen the Netflix series this year?  How was it? 

:shrug: I only made it through a couple of episodes into the first season.  I didn't think it revealed anything; everything seemed very guarded and managed, not that I'd expect anything different from F1.

There are new documentaries up on Netflix about Fangio and Willy T. Ribbs.   Dinner with Racers also has a video series up on Amazon Prime.  The shows vary widely in format, some are like a low rent Top Gear travelogue while one is an animated conversation with Bobby Unser (animated as in cartoons, not animated as in spirited).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

:shrug: I only made it through a couple of episodes into the first season.  I didn't think it revealed anything; everything seemed very guarded and managed, not that I'd expect anything different from F1.

Agree with this, made it through season 1 but have been on the fence about a second season.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

Agree with this, made it through season 1 but have been on the fence about a second season.  

Please let us know what you think.  I can only take so much eRacing.

Baku cancelled too... up to 8 races now.

6 hours ago, charvik said:

Baku cancelled too... up to 8 races now.

Technically, I think the only one cancelled is Monaco.

Last I read, they were going to try and re-draw the season when there is a sense it is safe to do so, and some will definitely be dropped then - and they will find room for the races with the highest fees.

They will have to take into account weather, but they were talking about rescheduling races so that the season could run into January.

• Thanks 1

The Fangio documentary on Netflix is OK.  I didn't know much about his early days in Argentina so that part was particularly interesting.

The biggest problem was the lack of material available to the filmmakers.  Not a lot of footage survives from the early days of Grand Prix racing.  Fangio has been dead for 25 years and most of his contemporaries are no longer with us.  They had to pad it with interviews with current motorsport figures which added some context but little insight.

I realize F1 is not top of many people's mind when it comes to people/businesses struggling during the pandemic - they are one of the smallest sporting organizations with only 10 teams - and no revenue stream at all during the pandemic - no race fees, TV money or sponsor money.  And yet each team employs hundreds of people who are now being furloughed - and a couple of the smaller teams may really struggle to stay viable as a result of a lengthy shutdown.  And, its not the kind of industry where someone else can step into fill the void.

I hope they can figure out a way to salvage the season - even if shortened.  It also looks like the teams are close to agreeing to lowering the spending cap next season, which should help the smaller teams stay afloat if they can get this season off the ground.

Short- and medium concerns will still be about sponsors - as I suspect many global companies will be cutting back on their marketing budgets.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, Sinn Fein said:

I realize F1 is not top of many people's mind when it comes to people/businesses struggling during the pandemic - they are one of the smallest sporting organizations with only 10 teams - and no revenue stream at all during the pandemic - no race fees, TV money or sponsor money.  And yet each team employs hundreds of people who are now being furloughed - and a couple of the smaller teams may really struggle to stay viable as a result of a lengthy shutdown.  And, its not the kind of industry where someone else can step into fill the void.

There will still be some top-level international racing series when the dust settles.  The big questions are how much manufacturer involvement there will be, what the cost cap will be set at and how much of the current commercial concerns survive until the flag drops.

Formula 1's shares on the NASDAQ have taken a beating.  Liberty Media's acquisition of the commercial rights a few years ago was heavily leveraged.  Here's a good article from Forbes that talks about the financial challenges of FWONK. 

• Like 1

1st shoe to drop: Sebastian Vettel to leave Ferrari at end of Formula 1 season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52612216

Not sure where that leaves Hamilton - I assume he would stay at Mercedes, but there had been talk of a move to Ferrari, and if Toto Wolff were to leave Mercedes, I think Hamilton would be tempted to finish his career at Ferrari.

Lewis isn't going anywhere especially to a team where he'd have to fight off Leclerc

• Like 1

Looks like Sainz to Ferrari and then Ricciardo to McLaren 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52627900

It will be interesting to see how LeClerc does with the weight of the team on his shoulders at Ferrari.  Obviously Vettel made a lot of driver errors in the last couple of seasons, but I think LeClerc also has errors in him - until he gains a bit more experience.  Maybe they figure Hamilton has one more good season left in him, and then the championship opens up and LeClerc will be ready.

The lack of feeder series activity in 2020 is going to prevent driving prospects from accumulating enough Superlicense points.  Renault isn't going to have a lot of options for young drivers.  Bringing Alonso back to Enstone is the popular choice but I don't see Fred coming back to run mid-pack.

Just saw that Williams is looking for investors and may have to sell the entire company.

Also, they terminated their sponsorship deal with Rokit "with immediate effect" - making the financing of the current season even more tenuous assuming they return to racing this summer.

Just saw on the ticker on BBC World that they will start the season with the Austrian GP in July!

3 hours ago, charvik said:

Just saw on the ticker on BBC World that they will start the season with the Austrian GP in July!

Yeah - back to back races behind closed doors in Austria

I think they will do something similar at Silverstone in England - 2 weekends of closed door racing.

F1 2020 opening calendar

3-5 July - Austrian Grand Prix (Red Bull Ring)

10-12 July - Steiermark Grand Prix (Red Bull Ring)

17-19 July - Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring)

31 July-2 August - British Grand Prix (Silverstone)

7-9 August - 70th Anniversary Grand Prix (Silverstone)

14-16 August - Spanish Grand Prix

28-30 August - Belgian Grand Prix

4-6 September - Italian Grand Prix

It is understood that F1 is highly confident of finishing the championship with races in Bahrain on 6 December and Abu Dhabi on 13 December.

Before that, the low incidence of coronavirus in China, Vietnam and Japan makes races in those countries a strong probability in October.

• Like 1

Black Arrows looking strong in first practice session of the season.

Also of note - aside from the driver musical chairs - it looks like Ferrari are going with a significant aerodynamical redesign, but it won't be ready until the 3rd race this year.

Ferrari have been forced to make a major redesign of their car as a result of flaws discovered since it ran in pre-season testing in February.

Team boss Mattia Binotto said work on understanding why the car was off the pace led to a "significant change of direction in terms of development".

The result is the car will run in pre-season specification at this weekend's delayed season-opening race in Austria.

The upgrade is due to make its debut at the Hungarian Grand Prix on 17-19 July.

Binotto said the team had been forced to revise their approach to the car's aerodynamics following their investigation into its performance shortfall.

So, I would say this season, however it is laid out, will really be a two-team race between Mercedes and Red Bull.  I am a little surprised the teams could not reach accommodations with each other and their drivers to make most of the driver moves now, instead of at the end of the season, given how tumultuous the season will already be.

Good to see cars back on track. 

Mercedes looks dominant again based on FP1 and FP2 times but the midfield looks really tight with RB and Ferrari stepping back and Racing Point and McLaren moving up.

57 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Good to see cars back on track. 

Mercedes looks dominant again based on FP1 and FP2 times but the midfield looks really tight with RB and Ferrari stepping back and Racing Point and McLaren moving up.

Red Bull formally protested Mercedes' DAS innovation today.

Feels a little like sour grapes, given that the system has been ruled out for next season.  But, at the same time, Mercedes seem so far ahead of everyone this season, perhaps they are looking for any reason to make this season a bit more competitive.

The stewards ruled DAS is part of the steering rather than suspension so it's legal.

• Like 2

Once again, the white man is keeping the Black man down.

On the positive side, Bottas v. Hamilton may develop into the most compelling story of the season.

Ferrari are just dog poop right now - but they do have an aerodynamic upgrade coming for week 3.  Also of note for Ferrari, it looks more and more like they were cheating skirting the rules last season on the engine power.  They seem to have lost quite a bit of straight line speed since FAI clamped down towards the end of last season.

The other story line to watch for the season looks to be a battle between Copy Cat Mercedes (Racing Point) and McLaren for honors at the top of the mid-table.

7 hours ago, The Gator said:

On the positive side, Bottas v. Hamilton may develop into the most compelling story of the season.

Ferrari are just dog poop right now - but they do have an aerodynamic upgrade coming for week 3.  Also of note for Ferrari, it looks more and more like they were cheating skirting the rules last season on the engine power.  They seem to have lost quite a bit of straight line speed since FAI clamped down towards the end of last season.

The other story line to watch for the season looks to be a battle between Copy Cat Mercedes (Racing Point) and McLaren for honors at the top of the mid-table.

Vettel falling outside of the top 10 in Q2 was crazy.  I would have assumed he just mailed it in, maybe being bitter how the offseason went for him, if Leclerc didn't come in 10th as well.  LeClerc was pretty surprised when they told him P10.  As soon as it happened, being pretty new to the sport, I said "I wonder when the last time he was outside the top 10, in a car with no issues, at Ferrari"?  The announcers pretty quickly answered that question...never.

I just started following about a year ago, even though I used to have a roommate a long time ago that was a huge Juan Pablo Montoya fan.  I'm totally obsessed now though.  The Netflix series was great at going through the teams, and my gf is even into F1 from watching it, and I've pretty much watched every qualifying and race (some practice) since.  I'm 1/2 Mexican, so would have loved for Perez to be my favorite driver but I really can't stand the guy the way he did Ocon dirty in some of those races when they knew Stroll was buying his way onto the team from his dad.  Now, they blatantly just roll out a copy of the 2019 Mercedes?  Lol.  Sorry, but in my short experience following F1, these guys just seem so slimy overall.

Here are a couple of my other rookie fan hot takes:  

Hamilton - Is this guy the perfect human or what?  So cool, talented and humble.  I learned he was a vegan a couple months ago and my only thought was "of course he is".  

LeClerc - When he first started with Ferrari I thought he seemed like a pretty innocent, sincere kid but things changed pretty quickly once he got his first taste of victory.  I thought it was funny how irritated he was when Vettel pitted and came out in front of him last year, and how they crashed each other.  Sorry, no offense to any Ferrari fans.  Carlos Sainz is my favorite driver right now, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do my Ferrari feelings next season!

Max - It's funny, I kind of had the opposite feelings about him compared to LeClerc.  I thought he seemed so cocky and arrogant at first, but I started to really respect and like the guy.  He's so competitive and cracks me up how worked up he gets on the radio.

Sainz & Norris - McLaren is my favorite team.  Probably some influence from my old roommate, but Sainz & Norris are such good, positive teammates it's fun to watch.  I'm sad for Norris that Sainz is leaving but Ricardo is just as goofy and I think will be a good replacement.  I follow Sainz & Norris on Twitter and it's really cool how close they are.  Both did really well today!

Haas - Man, I wish I could be a huge fan of the US team, but these guys are so embarrassing, crashing into each other and everyone else.  Lol.  Such a s***show.

That felt good.  As you guys probably know, it doesn't seem like there are many people you can talk to about F1 (now I know how my old roommate feels, and I've actually reach out to him lately).  🙂

• Like 3

Red Bull whining again.

Could not get Mercedes docked for the DAS system, but they did get Hamilton a 3 place grid penalty for not slowing on a yellow during Q3.

Posted (edited)

Haas.  :no:

Why do these guys continue with these drivers?  They're so bad.  I'm much rather have George Russell or some young guy with promise. 

Edited by Guinis72

Disappointed for Hamilton and Mercedes, but happy for Norris and McClaren.

Happy to see Red Bull with no points...

• Like 1

The last 20 laps were exciting.  Is it typical to have that many mechanical issues in the first race?

I'm so happy for Norris, that was clutch to put up the fastest lap, on the final lap, to get under the 5 sec penalty to Hamilton.  

Perez is such an a'hole.  I get maybe bumping into people when they're trying to pass you, but that cracked me up when he tried to jump back ahead of Albon after the safety car was called.

Attrition like the old days with nine DNFs and none of them from crashes.

Ferrari seems down on power with all three Ferrari-powered teams near the back.  Vettel wasn't able to pass many cars after his incident.  The broadcast didn't show Albon passing him towards the end but it didn't take very long.  It was great to see McLaren on the podium in the midst of their financial problems.

With the short turnaround and the same track, I'd expect more of the same next week although hopefully with the reliability gremlins worked out.  Maybe it'll rain to liven things up more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eephus said:

With the short turnaround and the same track, I'd expect more of the same next week although hopefully with the reliability gremlins worked out.  Maybe it'll rain to liven things up more.

If memory serves, the curbs in Austria have long caused problems for the cars.  I don't know if they are higher, or more spaced out, than other tracks.  I wonder if the smart teams go very easy in the practice sessions to avoid the curbs altogether - knowing the drivers are already acclimated to the track.  In theory, that should save some of the wear and tear on the cars until race day.  Its hard to tell if any of the reliability issues were cumulative effects from the week.

Side note, I wonder if Albon will ever try to pass Hamilton again.  Last two times have not worked out well for him.

Ferrari are bringing some of the upgrades this week (instead of waiting for Hungary).

This makes more sense, as it looks like Ferrari will be trying to acclimate to the new set-up all season - and the sooner they start that process the better off they will be in the long-run.

Also - interesting trivia from the weekend - that was the first time in F1 history that Mercedes, Ferrari, and McLaren have shared the podium.

• Like 1

Boys, please stay off the kerbs!

:lmao:

I was laughing during the race when they played Hamilton's radio, when the team had to remind Hamilton that staying of the curbs included the red and white ones!

Alonso to Renault for 2021 and 2022

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Gator said:

Boys, please stay off the kerbs!

:lmao:

I was laughing during the race when they played Hamilton's radio, when the team had to remind Hamilton that staying of the curbs included the red and white ones!

Those tweets are Gold.

Not sure if this is the thread, but is anyone watching this rainy qualifying session?  Pretty entertaining.

• Like 1

Did not see it. Hope to watch later. But big statement from Hamilton. 

supposed to be sunny tomorrow - so it will be very different conditions but I like Hamilton’s chance to get a good start. 

2 hours ago, PIK95 said:

Not sure if this is the thread, but is anyone watching this rainy qualifying session?  Pretty entertaining.

That was fun to watch.  I can't imagine getting up to 175+ mph on those straights with all the spray in the air and limited visibility, it was giving me anxiety just watching it.