What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Romo's Rank Among Great Cowboys QBs (1 Viewer)

Jewell

Footballguy
If you had to rank the following Cowboys QBs from best to worst (however you choose to assess that), where would Romo rank?

In order of appearance...

Don Meredith

Craig Morton

Roger Staubach

Danny White

Troy Aikman

Quincy Carter

Tony Romo

:shrug: It's a serious question (minus tossing in Quincy Carter as a joke).

Aikman once said Romo was better than he was. Troy was talking from a passing, scrambling, skill perspective and not achievements as a Cowboys QB; but, as I said, you can use whatever criteria you want to assess.

Troy Aikman: Tony Romo is a better quarterback than I was

Pro Football Talk, March 23, 2012

Troy Aikman won three Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys and is a Hall of Famer, but if you think Aikman is the best Cowboys quarterback you’ve ever seen, Aikman says you need to take a closer look at Tony Romo.

In an interview with the Brownsville Herald, Aikman said he never played the quarterback position as well as Romo.

“I think Tony already is a better quarterback than I was,” Aikman said. “I know how quarterbacks are judged but as far as his play-making ability and the things that he is capable of doing, he is a far more athletic quarterback, capable of making more plays than I ever was able to. He has a good team around him and hopefully, and I believe this will happen, I believe that he will win a Super Bowl before he is done playing.”

Aikman should be commended for his modesty, and for acknowledging that there should be more to judging a quarterback than counting how many Super Bowl rings he wears. But I think it’s safe to say the vast majority of Cowboys fans are going to disagree with his analysis.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/troy-aikman-tony-romo-is-a-better-quarterback-than-i-was/

If you had to rank the following Cowboys QBs from best to worst (however you choose to assess that), where would Romo rank? In order of appearance...Don MeredithCraig MortonRoger StaubachDanny WhiteTroy AikmanQuincy CarterTony Romo
Just behind Kyle Orton

If you are being fair? I'd say third, behind Staubach and Aikman. He has been talent than Aikman did, so I don't think Aikman was lying there but Romo will never win a Super Bowl. The rest of his team isn't good enough (like the 00' Ravens for example) and Romo just doesn't have that 'it' factor that a QB needs to put a team on his shoulders and bring them to the trophy. Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Peyton, Big Ben, and Brady those are the guys who have 'it' and can make the big plays under the big lights to hoist that trophy. Lets face it, unless you are the likes of Dan Marino (which Romo certainly isn't), you are as good as the amount of rings you have.

Because of that, I don't see how you can ever place Roger or Troy behind him.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are being fair? I'd say third, behind Staubach and Aikman. Romo will never win a super bowl though. The rest of his team isn't good enough (like the 00' Ravens for example) and Romo just doesn't have that 'it' factor that a QB needs to put a team on his shoulders and bring them to the trophy. Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Peyton, Big Ben, and Brady those are the guys who have 'it' and can make the big plays under the big lights to hoist that trophy. Because of that, I don't see how you can ever place Roger or Troy behind him.
You can't. I don't know any Cowboys fans over 40 who would.

:shrug: It's a serious question (minus tossing in Quincy Carter as a joke).

Aikman once said Romo was better than he was. Troy was talking from a passing, scrambling, skill perspective and not achievements as a Cowboys QB; but, as I said, you can use whatever criteria you want to assess.

Troy Aikman: Tony Romo is a better quarterback than I was

Pro Football Talk, March 23, 2012

Troy Aikman won three Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys and is a Hall of Famer, but if you think Aikman is the best Cowboys quarterback you’ve ever seen, Aikman says you need to take a closer look at Tony Romo.

In an interview with the Brownsville Herald, Aikman said he never played the quarterback position as well as Romo.

“I think Tony already is a better quarterback than I was,” Aikman said. “I know how quarterbacks are judged but as far as his play-making ability and the things that he is capable of doing, he is a far more athletic quarterback, capable of making more plays than I ever was able to. He has a good team around him and hopefully, and I believe this will happen, I believe that he will win a Super Bowl before he is done playing.”

Aikman should be commended for his modesty, and for acknowledging that there should be more to judging a quarterback than counting how many Super Bowl rings he wears. But I think it’s safe to say the vast majority of Cowboys fans are going to disagree with his analysis.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/troy-aikman-tony-romo-is-a-better-quarterback-than-i-was/
a little convenient that you ask right after a 5 int game. pretty obvious that you don't want us to rank romo at #1

a little convenient that you ask right after a 5 int game. pretty obvious that you don't want us to rank romo at #1
You could ask after the best game of Romo's life and he wouldn't deserve to be ranked #1. No way he will ever deserve to be ranked above Staubach.

Danny White is underrated. He has to be after Troy because of scoreboard, but I think he has similar success if he is on the Emmitt teams. No way I take Tony over Danny.

Roger >> Troy > Danny > Tony.

I'm a Dallas Cowboys history buff. The top 15 starting QB's of all time:

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson

I would rank him behind Staubach, Aikman (rings) and possibly Danny White. He is somewhere in the Danny White territory.
He has ONE freaking playoff win in his career. ONE. Danny White went to three straight NFC championship games. Romo will never sniff a championship game. He's 32. No longer a kid. His clock is ticking fast.He's in Reggie Collier territory.

Clint "Mad Bomber/" Longley down?

The Thanksgiving day miracle comeback over the hated ' Skins, coupled with his sucker punching Captain America ( Staubach) should easily put this dude top 5.

Yet if you listened to the ESPN broadcast and pregame shows they kept on insisting he is an elite QB. :confused:

I consider Romo as a middle-of-the-road QB. He has some skill but screws up at the worst times. Last night he was back to his old tricks but his WRs really let him down and a lack of running game didn't help either.

Romo can be decent as long as all of the other pieces are working but he isn't an elite QB that can put his team on his shoulders and carry them to victory.

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson
I did not see Morton and Meredith play. Started watching when Staubach was QB. So for QBs of the last 35 years, I'd put them

1. Staubach

2. Aikman

gap

Romo

White

gap

Bledsoe

gap

Carter/Hutchinson.

'General Malaise said:

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson
Where's Clint Longley. Got to be top 10.

He's getting worse, folks. It's time to pull the plug and go with Orton full time. Did anybody catch his 3rd and 9 act today? Unreal. This is some of the worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in my life. Last week's abortion vs Baltimore at the end of the game was just another example of this guy being a complete and utter toilet of a QB. :thumbdown:

He's getting worse, folks. It's time to pull the plug and go with Orton full time. Did anybody catch his 3rd and 9 act today? Unreal. This is some of the worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in my life. Last week's abortion vs Baltimore at the end of the game was just another example of this guy being a complete and utter toilet of a QB. :thumbdown:
I often enjoy fishing on a nice Sunday afternoon too.

I often enjoy fishing on a nice Sunday afternoon too.
He's pretty bad.

You are crazy. People who actually watch the Cowboys play know that Romo is not the problem. Orton might last a half a game behind that O-line. If you actually watch the games, you might notice a crafty veteran doing everything he can to keep this mediocre offense from imploding.

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson
Hogeboom and Bledsoe should be in front of Lebaron, Romo 4th.

Staubach >> Aikman >> Romo = White

While you cannot measure a QB strictly by Championships (no one would argue Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino), you cannot dismiss post season success. Staubach was Joe Montana-like. He was a guy you wanted to have the ball with the game on the line. Aikman was also a winner and team leader. Both had far superior talent surrounding them than does Romo, but Romo has not proven to be a QB who can lead his team to those important victories. At times, Romo has shown Favre-like gunslinger ability, but he is not on level with Dallas greats Staubach and Aikman, and ranking Romo with those HOF's is selling the rich legacy of the Dallas Cowboys short.

You are crazy. People who actually watch the Cowboys play know that Romo is not the problem. Orton might last a half a game behind that O-line. If you actually watch the games, you might notice a crafty veteran doing everything he can to keep this mediocre offense from imploding.
Update? Still everybody else's fault but Romo? And lol @ 'actually watch the games'. I actually watch the games. Is there an alternate version of these games where he doesn't puke up all over his jersey and throw the ball to the wrong team?

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson
Can't believe Aikman over Staubach!Staubach was much better. Aikman was overrated - a Trent Green with 3 rings.

Romo should be #6.

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson
Great list.

Also great to see LeBaron in there, he deserves mention in the top 5.

I'd go: 1. Staubach; 2. Aikman; 3. Meredith; 4. White; 5. LeBaron

The takeaway here is that for a few years now people were thinking Romo might be in that top 5-6 list, but in reality the question is where does he fall in between Morton, Hogeboom, Bledsoe, Carter, Pelluer. He's at the top of that list.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/career-passing.htm

Meredith was an unfinished story. He retired in `68 after just 9 years in the league. Though it had started somewhat before with Morton Meredith in 68 (no wonder he retired) Landry began his boneheaded experiment with Morton and Staubach at that time.

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson
Can't believe Aikman over Staubach!Staubach was much better. Aikman was overrated - a Trent Green with 3 rings.

Romo should be #6.
I don't know about MUCH better. Aikman: 165 Career TDs

Staubach: 153 Career TDs

Aikman: 81.6 Passer Rating

Staubach: 83.4 Passer Rating

Aikman: 32,942 Passing Yards

Staubach: 22,700 Passing Yards

Now, I will grant you that Aikman had far more interceptions, pass attempts and did not miss 4 years of his prime to service in the US Navy. But he also had to play on one of the worst team's in NFL history as a rookie and was beaten to death his first few years overall. But you can't just overlook his 3 super bowl rings, nor can you dismiss his playoff numbers, which were excellent. Unlike Tony Romo, Aikman knew how to win playoff games. Aikman knew how to win close games. Aikman knew how to win BIG games.

Romo is a garbage QB who compiles meaningless stats. The next big game he wins will be his first.

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson

Romo should be #6.

Now, I will grant you that Aikman had far more interceptions, pass attempts and did not miss 4 years of his prime to service in the US Navy. But he also had to play on one of the worst team's in NFL history as a rookie and was beaten to death his first few years overall. But you can't just overlook his 3 super bowl rings, nor can you dismiss his playoff numbers, which were excellent. Unlike Tony Romo, Aikman knew how to win playoff games. Aikman knew how to win close games. Aikman knew how to win BIG games.

Romo is a garbage QB who compiles meaningless stats. The next big game he wins will be his first.
With all due respect, this is a really poor basis for a comparison. You even identified a couple of the reasons for it. Aikman started 51 more games and attempted 1757 more passes, and Staubach missed 5 seasons, not 4, to open his career. Staubach didn't play his first NFL season until 5 years after he was drafted due to his Navy service. So it seems rather obvious that Aikman would have more passing yards and TDs, but that doesn't say much about which was the better QB.As for passer rating, you made no attempt to adjust for the very different eras the two played in. Consider the advanced passing metrics at PFR. Staubach is better in 8 of 9 of those advanced metrics, mostly by large margins.

You also ignored that Staubach was a much better runner than Aikman, and had more than twice as many rushing yards and rushing TDs. With regard to total TDs, Aikman had just one more, despite all the extra starts.

Furthermore, despite starting 51 fewer games, Staubach led 2 more regular season Game Winning Drives than Aikman. Staubach had 2 comebacks and 2 Game Winning Drives in the postseason, compared to 1 each for Aikman.

Staubach also had a much better winning percentage and had the same number of postseason wins as Aikman. Aikman had one more ring, but Staubach won one more NFC championship.

Finally, while both Aikman and Staubach won one Super Bowl MVP award, Staubach also won the NFL Bert Bell POY award in 1971. Aikman never had a comparable honor.

Staubach >> Aikman

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson

Romo should be #6.

With all due respect, this is a really poor basis for a comparison. You even identified a couple of the reasons for it. Aikman started 51 more games and attempted 1757 more passes, and Staubach missed 5 seasons, not 4, to open his career. Staubach didn't play his first NFL season until 5 years after he was drafted due to his Navy service. So it seems rather obvious that Aikman would have more passing yards and TDs, but that doesn't say much about which was the better QB.As for passer rating, you made no attempt to adjust for the very different eras the two played in. Consider the advanced passing metrics at PFR. Staubach is better in 8 of 9 of those advanced metrics, mostly by large margins.

You also ignored that Staubach was a much better runner than Aikman, and had more than twice as many rushing yards and rushing TDs. With regard to total TDs, Aikman had just one more, despite all the extra starts.

Furthermore, despite starting 51 fewer games, Staubach led 2 more regular season Game Winning Drives than Aikman. Staubach had 2 comebacks and 2 Game Winning Drives in the postseason, compared to 1 each for Aikman.

Staubach also had a much better winning percentage and had the same number of postseason wins as Aikman. Aikman had one more ring, but Staubach won one more NFC championship.

Finally, while both Aikman and Staubach won one Super Bowl MVP award, Staubach also won the NFL Bert Bell POY award in 1971. Aikman never had a comparable honor.

Staubach >> Aikman
Cowboys fan since 4 th grade (1970). Aikman is my favorite Cowboy of all time, but I'd have to agree with this . Staubach just had the magic. Aikman was physically and mentally tough but he was obviously surrounded by a ton of talent. Those Cowboy teams were dominant.Danny White is very underrated IMO. If I recall correctly from back then, he was a bit of a whipping boy due to unrealistic expectations.

I think Romo is very talented but I don't see him ever winning a Super Bowl. At some point he has to be the one who takes the blame. Just too many glaring errors in crunch time, over and over.

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson

Romo should be #6.

Staubach >> Aikman
Great post. I would just add Staubach should not be docked too much for coming out on the short end of two close Super Bowl battles with arguably the greatest team of all-time. Also, Staubach has an unusually good road playoff record.

1. Troy Aikman

2. Roger Staubach

3. Danny White

4. Don Meredith

5. Craig Morton

6. Eddie LeBaron

7. Steve Pelluer

8. Gary Hogeboom

9. Kevin Sweeney

10. Drew Bledsoe

11. Tony Romo

12. Quincy Carter

13. Glenn Carano

14. Babe Laughenberg

15. Chad Hutchinson

Romo should be #6.

Staubach >> Aikman
Great post. I am humbled here!It's not easy taking Aikman over Staubach, but I still do. I do because he's what I grew up with. Staubach retired when I was in 1st grade. While I recall well the Danny White years (and the mess that followed) it was Aikman I identified with. It was Aikman that lead Dallas back to glory. It was Aikman that piloted the first Super Bowl victory I could toast too (legally). It was Aikman that never let Dallas down. He was a robot. He was a machine.

Romo drives me nuts.

If you had to rank the following Cowboys QBs from best to worst (however you choose to assess that), where would Romo rank? In order of appearance...Don MeredithCraig MortonRoger StaubachDanny WhiteTroy AikmanQuincy CarterTony Romo
He's probably a hair better than Danny White for 3rd IMO. He's way behind Aikman and Staubauch. Danny White was still playing with a very talented group from the late 70s and wasn't athletic as Tony was. He also didn't make as many stupid plays as Tony does but sometimes there are so many screwballs on the current Dallas team it's hard to tell sometimes when it's him or a faulty route. I wouldn't argue much if someone thought White over Romo due to mistakes, I used to really like Danny White. Quincy Carter needs to go in the Steve Pelleur and Gary Hogleboom pile. Wow, even thinking of those names brings back chills.

Users who are viewing this thread