Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bmack159

Bye Week impact on VBD

2 posts in this topic

Hello, all. I've been a Football Guys subscriber for nearly 10 years and think its a great service. This is my first post.

I've noticed that the VBD ranking in the Lineup Dominator becomes somewhat unreliable during the bye week period. For example, following week 4, many of the marginal players in my player pool rise to the top of the rankings because they have completed their week 4 byes and basically have a week's worth of scoring advantage over all of the other available players yet to have their bye. The math behind this is straightforward but it renders the rankings misleading from a waiver wire standpoint.

For example, on a per game basis, Isaac Redman is not any better than Kendall Hunter but because Redman already had his bye, he is ranked 6 notches higher. Basically, one has to manually factor in the bye effect to evaluate whether a player is a good add or drop. It gets much more complicated in the middle of the bye week period as there are so many more players with the bye week ranking advantage.

It would be helpful if there was a check-box that adjusted the rankings for bye week periods. Perhaps those players yet to have bye weeks could have their avg weekly projected score added as a proxy for the bye week?

Just an idea.

Thanks

Hello, all. I've been a Football Guys subscriber for nearly 10 years and think its a great service. This is my first post. I've noticed that the VBD ranking in the Lineup Dominator becomes somewhat unreliable during the bye week period. For example, following week 4, many of the marginal players in my player pool rise to the top of the rankings because they have completed their week 4 byes and basically have a week's worth of scoring advantage over all of the other available players yet to have their bye. The math behind this is straightforward but it renders the rankings misleading from a waiver wire standpoint. For example, on a per game basis, Isaac Redman is not any better than Kendall Hunter but because Redman already had his bye, he is ranked 6 notches higher. Basically, one has to manually factor in the bye effect to evaluate whether a player is a good add or drop. It gets much more complicated in the middle of the bye week period as there are so many more players with the bye week ranking advantage.It would be helpful if there was a check-box that adjusted the rankings for bye week periods. Perhaps those players yet to have bye weeks could have their avg weekly projected score added as a proxy for the bye week?Just an idea.Thanks

Interesting thought. The LD is looking at total points going forward - since Redman has had his BYE he is considered more valuable.There are a couple of other ways to look player pick-ups that I like to do. I will look at the player I'm targeting and do the swap to put him on my roster then I look at:Game-by-Game: Does it change the number of wins/lossesWeekly line-up: In which weeks is the player an upgrade?Pool Weekly Line-up: Is there a better player for a specific week?