What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Draft Defensive Prospects (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
How does next yrs crop look to the experts; offensive side of the ball doesn't look to appleasing and it might be a good yr to load up on LBs / DLs for my dynasty teams

Talent-wise, it's Jarvis Jones then everyone else.

IDP wise, Te'o rivals Kuechly imho, although Kuechly has been a little under whelming to start. Still, love him from a prospect pov. Ogletree will probably be #2, and better than this year's pile of #2's. I think the 2 best ILB's in college are coming out in future years though - Minter and Mosely.

DE-wise, Werner may be the only potential superstar DE, both LSU guys are up there too but am wary they're 3-4 OLB types - Montgomery may be able to play with his hand in the dirt though. Again, a lot of watch's behind them but those are the top 3 right now imho.

Damontre Moore, Arthur Brown, Khaseem Greene, Michael Mauati - acl issue though, Matt Elam. LOTS of real life talent on d line, but most probably not idp relevant

Talent-wise, it's Jarvis Jones then everyone else.IDP wise, Te'o rivals Kuechly imho, although Kuechly has been a little under whelming to start. Still, love him from a prospect pov. Ogletree will probably be #2, and better than this year's pile of #2's. I think the 2 best ILB's in college are coming out in future years though - Minter and Mosely. DE-wise, Werner may be the only potential superstar DE, both LSU guys are up there too but am wary they're 3-4 OLB types - Montgomery may be able to play with his hand in the dirt though. Again, a lot of watch's behind them but those are the top 3 right now imho.
with the lack of offensive talent in this draft; wonder how high Teo will go in drafts

I know I am in minority, but I personally do not think Te'o will be that much of a beast in the pro's, not from a fantasy standpoint anyway. I am sure he will probably be a good LB'er, but I just don't see him as a sideline to sideline tackling machine like Kuechly. Yes, feel free to come back and highlight this when he leads all lb'ers in tackles next year. :) I have never been to big to say I was wrong.

I know I am in minority, but I personally do not think Te'o will be that much of a beast in the pro's, not from a fantasy standpoint anyway. I am sure he will probably be a good LB'er, but I just don't see him as a sideline to sideline tackling machine like Kuechly. Yes, feel free to come back and highlight this when he leads all lb'ers in tackles next year. :) I have never been to big to say I was wrong.
I've never seen him play, so I'm curious why you believe that. Is he too slow? Something else?

If the Steelers get Te'o, he will be my first overall IDP pick next year, keeper league. He will make tackles, cover the TE, allow Timmons to roam free and blitz. Pittsburgh will love his attitude and work ethic, he is smart kid and good overall human being.

Te'o will need to be in a 3-4, like at ND, he cannot be a MLB in a 4-3. But can be awesome in a 3-4.

Steelers can rely on Larry Foote anymore. Dont be shocked to see the Lers move up 5 picks or so to get Te'o.

I've never seen him play, so I'm curious why you believe that. Is he too slow? Something else?
I think he is a smart kid and seems to be a good leader, but lacks the physical skills to make tackles all over the field. Where he is drafted will play a big part in this as well, maybe he is drafted in the perfect system to excel.

I am of the same opinion DB... I really like Te'o (good kid, smart, big and physical), but also think he's gonna be a better NFL linebacker than he is a fantasy linebacker. He may be more effective, but I don't see him piling up tackles the way Kuechly does.As is so often the case, situation will ultimately determine how valuable a fantasy linebacker he becomes I believe...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he is a smart kid and seems to be a good leader, but lacks the physical skills to make tackles all over the field. Where he is drafted will play a big part in this as well, maybe he is drafted in the perfect system to excel.
:mellow: I like Te'o, and will still consider making a play for him in my IDP leagues but he don't look so smart lately.

I've read in a couple of places that while the 2013 draft lacks top end talent on offense and to a lesser degree on defense, it is one of the deepest (and considered by some the best) draft in years). I'm curious what people have read from the so called experts, better with sources rather than personal opinion, to confirm or refute this assumption.Having said that, it does "seem" to have more than the average number of interesting prosepects at DL, LB, S and WR (and to a lesser degree RB). Perhaps it is b/c there is no stud QB, that the draft is being called "weak"?

I've read in a couple of places that while the 2013 draft lacks top end talent on offense and to a lesser degree on defense, it is one of the deepest (and considered by some the best) draft in years). I'm curious what people have read from the so called experts, better with sources rather than personal opinion, to confirm or refute this assumption.Having said that, it does "seem" to have more than the average number of interesting prosepects at DL, LB, S and WR (and to a lesser degree RB). Perhaps it is b/c there is no stud QB, that the draft is being called "weak"?
This article says RB class deep as well....http://nfl.si.com/2013/02/26/2013-nfl-draft-offense-position-rankings-post-combine/

I really think Datone Jones has a very well rounded game. Good quickness and power on the snap and he can get off blocks, there is a lot to like about his disruptive game.

last yr and this yr are great yrs to load up on IDP talent w/ your lower picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sio Moore will probably be able to stay on the field for 3 downs because of his pass coverage ability. I like his quickness and in certain schemes he could be rushing the passer one play and covering someone the next. He lined up on slot WRs at times in college, but I'm not sure that he'll be doing that in the NFL against certain teams. I think he's comfortable in coverage though and he will have matchups that he can handle often enough. He has some quickness and explosion as a pass rusher too, so I can see him being a player that is capable of making different types of plays all over the field.

Users who are viewing this thread