What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"42" Jackie Robinson: The Movie (1 Viewer)

Surprised there hasn't been more (any) discussion here. Saw this this weekend. Very good movie. Highly recommend it to anyone.

I saw it. Liked it. I wanted to like it even more than I actually did though. Like most movies that come out now though, it has a hard time living up to the trailer, as pretty much every great moment in the movie is in the trailer.

It's tough to fit this story in 2 hours, so the whole thing felt rushed to me.

I don't go to too many newly released movies, but I did with this one and it was worth the price of admission.

Solid movie, but mostly because it'd be very hard to make a boring movie about Jackie Robinson.

The actress playing Mrs. Rachel Robinson is crazy smoking hot though

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to like it even more than I actually did though.
Me too.

I thought it was pretty cheesy at times and, while I'm not expert, I thought the acting was fairly bad.

I'm glad they didn't hold back, though, and went all out in the scene with the Phillies Manager. Quite the uncomfortable scene that seemed to go on forever.

Those that went to see it, it's rated PG-13 is that mostly for the language and maybe some violence ? Any type of sex/female nudity in it ? My 9 year old is very interested in seeing it after he has seen the previews and been watching Ken Burns Baseball with me.

It was worth seeing, but pretty bland. The only performance worth writing home about was Alan Tudyk as the racist Phillies manager. Standard shlocky biopic fare otherwise.

I think it's good viewing for kids 8-9 and up, yeah. The only thing racy about is the n-word. It's a good opportunity to talk to your kids about the way things were back then, and the important role Jackie played in making the country better.

If you're an old guy and looking for a gripping film, you might be disappointed. I'm glad I brought my daughter but I was pretty bored at times. Being in a theater full of black folks can add some spice to it though.

Those that went to see it, it's rated PG-13 is that mostly for the language and maybe some violence ? Any type of sex/female nudity in it ? My 9 year old is very interested in seeing it after he has seen the previews and been watching Ken Burns Baseball with me.
I'd think that rating is based solely on the use of "N" word. It's mostly confined to one part, but used profusely in that one part.

Outside of that, there's no violence, nudity, or rough language that I can remember.

I'd think that rating is based solely on the use of "N" word. It's mostly confined to one part, but used profusely in that one part.

Outside of that, there's no violence, nudity, or rough language that I can remember.
Thanks...might go take it in this weekend then.

No big thing, but how hard would it have been to get it right?In the movie “42,” Brooklyn’s Gene Hermanski is seen batting right-handed. He batted left-handed. Bucs’ pitcher Fritz Ostermueller throws right-handed; he was a lefty. Leo Durocher wasn’t suspended for carrying on with women, but with gamblers.The 1947 scene in which Jackie Robinson is spiked at first by the Cardinals’ Enos Slaughter shows Hugh Casey to be the Dodgers’ pitcher. It was Ralph Branca — no small fact. (Running to cover first, Branca told Robinson he would retaliate in Slaughter’s next at-bat. Robinson insisted that he not — Branca was pitching a perfect game. It ended a one-hitter — Slaughter’s grounder between Robinson and Eddie Stanky in the eighth.)In the dramatic scene (and movie poster) in which Pee Wee Reese drapes his arm around Robinson’s shoulder, they appear with “Dodgers” across the fronts of their shirts, their home uniforms. But they were in Cincinnati, wearing their grays, “Brooklyn” across the front.And neither Robinson nor any other big leaguer of that time stood posing after hitting a home run.

Users who are viewing this thread