What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

If the Vikings were to cut AP would that lower the franchise tag that the cowboys could us on Murray?

I would think its better to sign Dez long term and tag Murray if that was the case.

So, if they choose to let him walk, who are the front runners to procure his services? I don't know where everyone is at in terms of the cap, but here are a few teams that could possibly be interested:

Colts

Bills

Jets

Ravens

Chargers

Bucs
I would say the favorites to land him

colts

falcons

ravens

chargers

cowboys

Rotoworld:

DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones admitted talks with free agent DeMarco Murray have been "slow," and Murray will make it to the open market.

"[Murray] is probably going to, you know, get some peace and see what's out in the market and then we'll talk and see," Jones said. "I do believe deep down he'd love to stay in Dallas." The Cowboys couldn't reach a long-term deal with fellow free agent Dez Bryant and will be forced to tag him this week. Murray's days with Dallas aren't necessarily over, but the 27-year-old should chase the money.

Source: FOX Sports Southwest

Mar 1 - 9:38 AM

So, if they choose to let him walk, who are the front runners to procure his services? I don't know where everyone is at in terms of the cap, but here are a few teams that could possibly be interested:

Colts

Bills

Jets

Ravens

Chargers

Bucs
I would say the favorites to land him

colts

falcons

ravens

chargers

cowboys
As a Murray owner, I'd love him to stay with Dallas, but those teams you mentioned all have solid O's

Good video but it is a bit confusing because the guy talking about Murray on the video is Mark Creigal (sp?) not Greg Cosell.

Shutdown Corner indicates Cosell wrote the accompanying article and gives a great breakdown.

Murray is at his best as a decisive downhill runner with short-area burst. That’s why the outside zone run was a staple this season for Dallas. The Cowboys’ fantastic offensive line was consistent all season stretching the front side and sealing the back side, and Murray is an excellent one-cut downhill runner who is at his best when his options are limited. On inside zone, you have to find and create your own space, and Murray is not a creative, intuitive runner. He's a little too stiff and straight-line to be a great natural runner. But running downhill in the outside zone, or even in gap schemes like “power” and “counter”? He’s very good.

Murray also improved dramatically this past season in his physicality. He developed a punishing element to his game, and there’s a mentality that goes with that. There are guys that can do that for 10, 12 carries a game, but there are not a lot of players who can do it for 25 times a game. Murray can. That’s a skill.

If you know you’d get Murray’s same production, or at least close to it, then it’s a no-brainer to re-sign him. I don’t buy into the notion you don’t need a great running back – if you want the run game to be the starting point for your offense, you need a great back. You can’t just plug one in. For example, I don’t think there are 10 backs in the league who can do what Marshawn Lynch does for the Seattle Seahawks. He’s their foundation on offense. Murray isn’t the level of back Lynch is, but you can’t just plug in a RB and have him do what Murray did for the Cowboys over 392 carries last year.

Murray and the Cowboys are a perfect fit together: He is a great fit in their zone-based running game, and the Cowboys benefited from having a back who can sustain drives and control a game. The Cowboys’ success last season started with Murray...

cowboys or colts. he is going to get an offer from many teams he will have choice of better teams than the jaguars. a chance to win a sb in indy with no sharing and a great qb is tempting for anyone.

A bad team with a cheap young QB will offer him the most. Will be interesting to see if he chases the $

Ed Werder says the Boys will counter any offer that RB DeMarco Murray receives in free agency. He also notes he wasn't close to being the top paid RB but was only the 23rd highest paid RB last year.

Also the Boys just re-upped WR Cole Beasley so I don't know how that impacts their cap.

-----------------------------

Ed Werder retweeted

NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL · 2h 2 hours ago
DeMarco Murray's base salary was 23rd among all RBs last year. He's due to get a BIG upgrade
Ed Werder @Edwerderespn · 2h 2 hours ago

Sources expect DeMarco Murray to remain with #Cowboys if offer equal or similar to what he attracts as UFA. His salary ranked 23rd at RB

---

Ed Werder retweeted

Rand Getlin @Rand_Getlin · 2h 2 hours ago
Sources: The #Cowboys and WR Cole Beasley have agreed to terms on a 4-year deal worth $13.6M with $7M in guarantees and a $4M signing bonus.
------------------------

EDIT: to add a couple of tweets on the Cole Beasley signing. It actually SAVES cap charge.

------------------------

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher · 58m 58 minutes ago

As the great @fishsports points out, the Cole Beasley deal saves $$$ for Dallas in 2015. This isn't a deal to freak out over, people.

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher · 57m 57 minutes ago

Cole Beasley's salary in 2015: $1.66 million. Cole Beasley's salary in 2016: $3.34 million. Fair deal for both sides.
Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher · 56m 56 minutes ago

Cap charge. Should have clarified. RT @CowboysNation: @Marcus_Mosher Salary? Or cap hit?”

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, free agent DeMarco Murray will re-sign with the Cowboys if their contract offer is "equal or similar" to what he receives on the open market.

So basically, if Dallas matches Murray's best offer, the Cowboys would win the tiebreaker. He's also leaving room for a slight hometown discount. Murray has said he would like to play for a winner. That won't be guaranteed if he signs with Jacksonville or Tennessee, two teams with enough cap space to offer Murray a massive contract. The Colts, last year's AFC runner-up, could be a dark horse in the Murray sweepstakes.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
Mar 3 - 12:59 PM

Chip going to make a run at Murray? Total speculation but he needs a versatile high-volume guy and taking away from a division rival seems like something he would do

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking...total conjecture at this point, but Murray would be a nice fit in that offense

Why would any team pay big money for a RB these days? Makes no sense given the new dynamics of the league and the continued talent that comes out of college.

A bad team with a cheap young QB will offer him the most. Will be interesting to see if he chases the $
Not sure why he wouldn't at this point? I have the opposite view of Cobb where he could do a 3 year contract with Green Bay for a little less money now but get an even bigger contract when he is 27/28 and has stayed productive.

Murray has 1 contract and about 2-4 years left in the tank

Cobb has 2 contracts and about 7-9 years left in the tank

Could he want a championship? Yes, but he also needs the same ballpark amount of money.

Why would any team pay big money for a RB these days? Makes no sense given the new dynamics of the league and the continued talent that comes out of college.
Ask seattle.

There is no ONE model for success.
Okay just called them, yup they said they can thank one of the best defenses history for their success. Guess they believe they need to keep developing Wilson into a team leading QB as well to continue with success.

Teams that rely on stud RBs can only win when they have a top defense to go along with it. You know the last team to lead the league in rushing to win the Super Bowl? 1985 Chicago Bears

Ask seattle.There is no ONE model for success.
Okay just called them, yup they said they can thank one of the best defenses history for their success. Guess they believe they need to keep developing Wilson into a team leading QB as well to continue with success.Teams that rely on stud RBs can only win when they have a top defense to go along with it. You know the last team to lead the league in rushing to win the Super Bowl? 1985 Chicago Bears
I answered his questaion. I have no idea what you are responding to

Ask seattle.

There is no ONE model for success.
Okay just called them, yup they said they can thank one of the best defenses history for their success. Guess they believe they need to keep developing Wilson into a team leading QB as well to continue with success.

Teams that rely on stud RBs can only win when they have a top defense to go along with it. You know the last team to lead the league in rushing to win the Super Bowl? 1985 Chicago Bears
Not sure if you watched the playoffs, but Seattle gave up 28 to NE, 22 to GB even with a gimpy Rodgers GB kicking 5 FGs including not going for it at the goal line twice and 17 points to Carolina with a horrible INT thrown at Seattle's 10 yard line. Carolina had 362 yards, GB had 306 yards and NE had 377 yards.

Seattle has a great D, but the 1985 Bears gave up 10 total points and 181, 130 and 123 yards in 3 games. Not exactly similar in any way shape or form. Lynch was as big a difference maker in the playoffs as the defense was and in the GB game, he was the offense and overcame a horrific game by Wilson.

I agree with ghostguy that Seattle uses their model and would pay more for RBs to keep their model of success (pretty good the last two years) going. Minny did the same getting to the playoffs 2 years ago with a horrific D and Ponder as QB. Baltimore road Jamal Lewis' 3 100+ yard games in the playoffs of 2000 with Dilfer passing for less than 180 yards in every game. You mentioned 1985 Bears, same thing. Lots of teams have used dominant run games to do well. Emmitt Smith was just as valuable or more valuable than Aikman (career high of 3445 yards) during the 3 SBs in 4 years. It doesn't happen as much, but it has.

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys reportedly believe DeMarco Murray's 2014 performance was more a product of their dominant offensive line than Murray's talent.

The Cowboys "also believe that other teams believe it, too," per PFT's Mike Florio. The NFL's "legal tampering" period begins on Saturday, at which point Murray will be able to freely shop his wares. The Cowboys expect Murray to find a soft market, and we do too. If the contract offers Murray gets aren't to his liking, the chances of him returning to Dallas will increase.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys reportedly believe DeMarco Murray's 2014 performance was more a product of their dominant offensive line than Murray's talent.

The Cowboys "also believe that other teams believe it, too," per PFT's Mike Florio. The NFL's "legal tampering" period begins on Saturday, at which point Murray will be able to freely shop his wares. The Cowboys expect Murray to find a soft market, and we do too. If the contract offers Murray gets aren't to his liking, the chances of him returning to Dallas will increase.

This is total bull####. He will get $6 Mils per year at a minimum. Book it.

Rotoworld:

I don't buy it. It's a popular perspective amongst the media and fantasy circles, but I think Garrett is very bullish on Murray. If he believed it were all the line as much as many here and in the media do then he would have spread out the carries to keep those guys fresh. Even as much as reports came out that Murray was getting overworked though, he just couldn't bring himself to take the ball out of his hands. Even when that hand was broken and even when he couldn't hold onto the ball with those hands while leading the NFL in fumbles.

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys reportedly believe DeMarco Murray's 2014 performance was more a product of their dominant offensive line than Murray's talent.The Cowboys "also believe that other teams believe it, too," per PFT's Mike Florio. The NFL's "legal tampering" period begins on Saturday, at which point Murray will be able to freely shop his wares. The Cowboys expect Murray to find a soft market, and we do too. If the contract offers Murray gets aren't to his liking, the chances of him returning to Dallas will increase.

Florio compensating for missing out on the stories of the day by creating one. Nothing new.

The Cowboys need Murray. We rode him

Hard last year, but as long as healthy, he's the chain moved in this offense, and a damn good one. I don't believe Joseph Randle, a high round rookie or another FA RB fits the scheme and come close to the impact Murray will have.

He needs the Cowboys. Feature backs are a rarity in today's NFL, and with the offensive philosophy and line we have, he'd be silly to chase the money. If ther Cows come close, he'll be back. He knows his best shot at continued success (and $) is here.

Hard last year, but as long as healthy, he's the chain moved in this offense, and a damn good one. I don't believe Joseph Randle, a high round rookie or another FA RB fits the scheme and come close to the impact Murray will have.

He needs the Cowboys. Feature backs are a rarity in today's NFL, and with the offensive philosophy and line we have, he'd be silly to chase the money. If ther Cows come close, he'll be back. He knows his best shot at continued success (and $) is here.
When the Jones family devotes limited cap funds to retaining completely replaceable position players like Cole Beasley it becomes increasingly difficult to say "we tried, but Murray just wanted too much money." I don't get why management misses how important Murray is to the offense.

When the Jones family devotes limited cap funds to retaining completely replaceable position players like Cole Beasley it becomes increasingly difficult to say "we tried, but Murray just wanted too much money." I don't get why management misses how important Murray is to the offense.
jerry jones ego?

VarsityBlues123 said:
ol blues said:
LarryAllen said:

jerry jones ego?
So, maybe, given how anyone can run like DeMarco did behind that solid 'Boys OLine, the backup plan should DeMarco not cave in is to have "Good Ol' Jer" strap on the chinstrap one last time?

I'm sorry but why are we even reading about how the Cowboys basically feel Murray is a product of their awesome O-line. Really? Even if the Cowboys really believe that (which is silly by the way), why in the world come out and tell the world? Murray was a warrior and clearly carried that team last year when it needed to be carried. And that was often. I know, it's a business and all that, but to me, it just doesn't sit right. Much like the whole Cobb situation, I think Dallas would be better served to face it head on, do their best to keep him and if it doesn't work out, let him test the market. But if I'm Murray and I go and test that market, I'm not thinking of any type of home town discount. I think the Cowboys should shut up, get this guy signed and focus elsewhere.

Murray is gone. It's all about the benjamins for him at this point in his career. He had a phenominal year and will cash in on starving RB teams, most likely Indy.

With the silly money Buffalo just paid Shady and Ingram off the market, Murray becomes a high priced option the Boys can't afford.

Hate to see him go, but it's a "bidness". We got too many holes on defense we need to patch.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells reports Indianapolis isn't interested in free agent DeMarco Murray.
These things are subject to change, but it sounds like the Colts are more interested in Frank Gore and possibly even Justin Forsett than Murray at the moment. Murray is looking like he'll end up back in Dallas unless some other club jumps in at the last minute.

Related: Colts

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 8 - 2:40 PM

That Charles Robinson guy from yahoo.com has been killing it during FA but he's backtracking a little from his tweet yesterday that Demarco returning to Dallas was a done deal. He is saying that the McCoy and Lynch extension are making things problematic, and if Demarco will have to take less to return to Dallas.

But I think he'll have to take less anyplace. Seattle gave Lynch that money because he's good, they went to and won SB's with him and it's not a long term deal. Buffalo just did one of the dumbest extensions I've ever seen and it's not the blueprint any other team is going to try and copy right now.

This Robinson guy did say last night the Jaguars were in on talks with Demarco. Not sure where they stand after reaching an agreement with Julius Thomas.

Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Jaguars "could push hard" to push free agent DeMarco Murray out of the Cowboys' price range.
Robinson reports the Jags are seeking a "centerpiece" back. Jax is awash in cap space, and would win a bidding war with Dallas if Murray pursues top dollar.

Related: Jaguars

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter
Mar 8 - 3:48 PM

That Charles Robinson guy from yahoo.com has been killing it during FA but he's backtracking a little from his tweet yesterday that Demarco returning to Dallas was a done deal. He is saying that the McCoy and Lynch extension are making things problematic, and if Demarco will have to take less to return to Dallas.

But I think he'll have to take less anyplace. Seattle gave Lynch that money because he's good, they went to and won SB's with him and it's not a long term deal. Buffalo just did one of the dumbest extensions I've ever seen and it's not the blueprint any other team is going to try and copy right now.

This Robinson guy did say last night the Jaguars were in on talks with Demarco. Not sure where they stand after reaching an agreement with Julius Thomas.
Jags should be able to overpay and land both Julius and Murray. Julius strikes me as a money chaser, but Demarco not as much.

Much like Cobb, I can see Murray stay in Dallas for less. But not a ton less.

And yeah, the Mccoy/Lynch deals were bad for Dallas here.

I think he'll take a lot less to stay in Dallas. Maybe not as much as Cobb in total dollars but a higher percentage. He's a star in Big D running behind arguably the best OL in the game. Been reading from various people this week that in general the Jags have to overpay FA's, for what Demarco would be leaving I'd say they'll have to overpay a lot.

But at this point I'm starting to think the Jags are going to make him a Godfather offer.

I think he'll take a lot less to stay in Dallas. Maybe not as much as Cobb in total dollars but a higher percentage. He's a star in Big D running behind arguably the best OL in the game. Been reading from various people this week that in general the Jags have to overpay FA's, for what Demarco would be leaving I'd say they'll have to overpay a lot.

But at this point I'm starting to think the Jags are going to make him a Godfather offer.
yeah I think the money will betoo significant for Demarco not to go to north FLA

The one saving grace for Murray owners would be that Indy and Tenn are horrific run defenses.

Jax would start to be putting together a decent offense as well, so long as Bortles takes the next step.

Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Jaguars "could push hard" to push free agent DeMarco Murray out of the Cowboys' price range.

Robinson reports the Jags are seeking a "centerpiece" back. Jax is awash in cap space, and would win a bidding war with Dallas if Murray pursues top dollar.
Career suicide, going from the best O-line in the NFL to the worst.

Rotoworld:

Career suicide, going from the best O-line in the NFL to the worst.
A 27 year old RB needs to take the biggest payday he can get. He's looking at his last big contract.

If Jags really want a centerpiece RB they should trade back and grab Gordon or Gurley. Break the bank on defensive player or offensive lineman.

#Jaguars and RB Demarco Murray have agreed to framework of contract. Will be finalized tues at 4:00pm

Per mort

More confirmation

BREAKING: A league source tells me RB DeMarco Murray has turned down the #Cowboys latest offer and plans to sign elsewhere

- Ian rappaprt

Users who are viewing this thread