What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

They fooled the world on their injury reporting / level of severity.  It sounded like he limped to the stadium....I don't think it's going to limit him going forward.

I think the lesson from this past week is not to overreact to recent events. This is probably a RBBC going forward. They'll both have good games and frustrating ones

They fooled the world on their injury reporting / level of severity.  It sounded like he limped to the stadium....I don't think it's going to limit him going forward.
It bothered him preseason and the same hammy pulled him out if a Week 2 game. Clearly, he's not injured enough to be kept from the field but he's likely not 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the lesson from this past week is not to overreact to recent events. This is probably a RBBC going forward. They'll both have good games and frustrating ones
Henry did well for limited usage after an early game thigh bruise.

It's not like this is the first time this has ever happened with a player.

Murray sat out all week but for limited reps on Friday and many of those were on the sideline. No one will glean 115 yard day from that. It's totally expected to project that he doesn't play.

On the other hand, us fantasy folks never admit that rest can heal up an injury and lead us down this path so it makes this whole false feeling of disbelief. Really, Murray was well rested after about a week off.

It was brutal and yet, it will happen again and again and again. Just a grrr aspect of FF and injuries

I still hope Murray can get it rolling but I just don't know. I would think for the most part he is a hold. If you are a contending team you may as well hold and hope because his value is depressed. I imagine of you are not contending you could bail if you want to accept pennies on the dollar because he isn't going to be a hot commodity.

Is he going to be the man or is he just going to be part of a RBBC. If his coach is to be believed, Henry is going to be getting more touches than he has had of late. Confused to buy or sell Murray

This guy is dog crap. One of the biggest busts of the year. Dropping ASAP & I wouldn't start anyone on the lame titan offense. 

If you have 2 RBs, you dont have 1.

Pick a guy, and roll with him. Henry or Murray, coaches need to stop this. Peterson can handle 37 carries, but these guys cant? Give a dude the rock and let him go.

Teams that use the Thunder and Thunder in a committee dont work out well, neither is a change of pace they are the same back who need a rhythm.

2nd round pick and dropping as well so I never have the itch to put him in for a “good” match up. He hasn’t been off my bench in 5 weeks so won’t miss him. How you completely 180 a guys use from one year to the next is mind blowing. 

Coaches tend to think they are the smartest people in the room.

Gase thinks he is smart, McAdoo thinks he is smart, Pagano thinks he is smart...but all these coaches have made mind boggling decisions. Mularky is not a smart coach either, he just thinks he is. Draft a WR in the 1st round when you are a running team? Forget he is hurt and hasnt played, but why take a player that high who is no use to the type of offense you run.

New flash to coaches, want to show me how smart you are...feed your studs, and when they are tired, feed them some more.

This guy is as tough as nails though.

I've never seen a guy leave so many games temporarily with ailments only to return and still grind out yards.

I've been holding Henry and I'm amazed. 

At some point, Murray is just going to hit the wall...and disintegrate.

This guy is as tough as nails though.

I've never seen a guy leave so many games temporarily with ailments only to return and still grind out yards.

I've been holding Henry and I'm amazed. 

At some point, Murray is just going to hit the wall...and disintegrate.
No wall if this poor usage still keeps happening lol

Looking at Murray's contract details,he is set to make $6.25 plus $250,000 roster bonus next year but he can be cut and it would cost the Titans $0 in dead money.  He would be the 6th highest paid back as of now (not counting franchise tag players such as Bell).  I can't see them bringing him back at that price point.  It will be interesting to see what happens with him going forward. 

ESPN's Cameron Wolfe believes there's a "decent chance" DeMarco Murray has played his final snap in a Titans uniform.

Already ruled out for the Divisional Round, Murray, who has a torn MCL, would be a long-shot for the AFC Championship Game even if the Titans sprang a seismic upset on Saturday night. One month shy of his 30th birthday, Murray slumped to a career-worst 3.58 yards per carry as he played injured in 2017. 23-year-old sophomore Derrick Henry has looked more than capable of taking over the Titans' workhorse role. If Murray is cut, his entire $6.5 million salary would come off the books, leaving behind no dead money.

Source: ESPN.com

Jan 11 - 4:58 PM

Could be a good one year add if he lands in an ideal situation.  I don't think he will be in Tennessee next year because of the 6.5 million cap hit.  I think the selling ship sailed at the end of the 2016 season.

Rotoworld - 

ESPN Titans reporter Cameron Wolfe predicts Tennessee will release DeMarco Murray this offseason.

It's a logical -- and expected -- move that will save the Titans $6.5 million against the cap in 2018. Murray was great in 2016 but battled injuries all of 2017, missed the playoffs, and turns 30 next week. Derrick Henry will then be freed up as the unquestioned lead back, while the Titans can add a third-down, pass-catching type to complement him under new OC Matt LaFleur. Feb 9 - 11:49 AM

I think he is a buy low target right now, assuming he moves on and assuming he takes on a RBBC role someplace. Don't overpay for him by any stretch. 

I think he is a buy low target right now, assuming he moves on and assuming he takes on a RBBC role someplace. Don't overpay for him by any stretch. 
As a Henry owner in a few leagues I'm excited about Murray moving elsewhere.  Yes, they will probably draft a pass catching RB but that doesn't bother me at all.

As a Henry owner in a few leagues I'm excited about Murray moving elsewhere.  Yes, they will probably draft a pass catching RB but that doesn't bother me at all.
I'm sure Henry owners welcome this news but I'd be worried on what they might add myself. This comment below was from the Titans beat writer in the article that rotoworld linked on Demarco, and it's something I completely agree with:

Everyone assumes the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Henry would then become Tennessee's 25-touch-a-game back, but the Titans will bring in a more versatile back via free agency, trade or the draft. That back will own passing downs, become a favorite target for Marcus Mariota and force Henry into a time-share for the third consecutive season.

I'm sure Henry owners welcome this news but I'd be worried on what they might add myself. This comment below was from the Titans beat writer in the article that rotoworld linked on Demarco, and it's something I completely agree with:

Everyone assumes the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Henry would then become Tennessee's 25-touch-a-game back, but the Titans will bring in a more versatile back via free agency, trade or the draft. That back will own passing downs, become a favorite target for Marcus Mariota and force Henry into a time-share for the third consecutive season.
I think it's Henry's time to shine.

Seems like a lot of assumptions on the part of the writer.

menobrown said:

I pretty much agree. It bugs me a little that Henry never put Murray in the rear view, and other than the KC playoff game, underachieved whenever Murray got hurt.

I think Henry getting 25 touches a game is a pretty big pipe dream. 15 is more likely. Might not be a bad sell high.

Murray doesn't look done to me, I think he could catch on and be a solid committee guy somewhere. He's an elite pass blocker(possibly the best among RB's) and those guys will always have a home. 

I pretty much agree. It bugs me a little that Henry never put Murray in the rear view, and other than the KC playoff game, underachieved whenever Murray got hurt.

I think Henry getting 25 touches a game is a pretty big pipe dream. 15 is more likely. Might not be a bad sell high.

Murray doesn't look done to me, I think he could catch on and be a solid committee guy somewhere. He's an elite pass blocker(possibly the best among RB's) and those guys will always have a home. 
Murray may have a bit left but will he be worth what he will get paid? I think I’d rather have gore for a year. Henry doesn’t strike me as a 15 touch guy- he’s huge, the kind of guy you use to wear down defenses. Tennessee will draft another back or sign someone but that doesn’t automatically mean they take half the work or pass block well enough to be in there all the time. He wasn’t going to overtake Murray- Murray is a good back in his own right, and I think they were giving the guy they paid the veteran respect while Henry got up to speed. He has shown some ability to catch and make plays, had 7 runs over 20 yds (176 carries) at 245 lbs, so he’s not just a short ydg guy. He doesn’t fumble much, and there are 180+ carries becoming available? How is his arrow anything but up? If they take a back in the first 2-3 rounds maybe I’m concerned (if they jumped up and took Michel or jones or someone in that tier.) I’m not worried about a wadley type coming in and getting 40% of the work. 

Rotoworld - 

ESPN Titans reporter Cameron Wolfe predicts Tennessee will release DeMarco Murray this offseason.

It's a logical -- and expected -- move that will save the Titans $6.5 million against the cap in 2018. Murray was great in 2016 but battled injuries all of 2017, missed the playoffs, and turns 30 next week. Derrick Henry will then be freed up as the unquestioned lead back, while the Titans can add a third-down, pass-catching type to complement him under new OC Matt LaFleur. Feb 9 - 11:49 AM
this is a bad headline grab. He said (which everyone says) that they will renegotiate or release him- in other words, he'll never be paid 6.5 in 2018. Cam is very chatty on fb and you can easily ask him yourself in one of his chats.

Murray may have a bit left but will he be worth what he will get paid? I think I’d rather have gore for a year. Henry doesn’t strike me as a 15 touch guy- he’s huge, the kind of guy you use to wear down defenses. Tennessee will draft another back or sign someone but that doesn’t automatically mean they take half the work or pass block well enough to be in there all the time. He wasn’t going to overtake Murray- Murray is a good back in his own right, and I think they were giving the guy they paid the veteran respect while Henry got up to speed. He has shown some ability to catch and make plays, had 7 runs over 20 yds (176 carries) at 245 lbs, so he’s not just a short ydg guy. He doesn’t fumble much, and there are 180+ carries becoming available? How is his arrow anything but up? If they take a back in the first 2-3 rounds maybe I’m concerned (if they jumped up and took Michel or jones or someone in that tier.) I’m not worried about a wadley type coming in and getting 40% of the work. 
I'm in the same boat as far as Gore v. Murray if I were a team looking for a deal on a veteran RBBC guy. Gore is secretly still a very good RB, and if I were the Colts, I'd be trying to re-sign him and using high picks and big contracts on their many other needs.

I agree the arrow is pointing up on Henry, the reason I think he might be a good sell high, is because I don't think his ceiling is an RB1. With Murray gone, somebody in every league will think he'st the next young stud RB, and I just don't see it. I like Henry, but he's got a lot of holes in his game. I also think the Titans offense is going to be a lot different with Mularkey, and the Exotic Smashmouth gone. 

I think its very possible the Titans take a RB in the first 2-3 rounds. Or sign a FA with better receiving skills than Henry. 

I'm in the same boat as far as Gore v. Murray if I were a team looking for a deal on a veteran RBBC guy. Gore is secretly still a very good RB, and if I were the Colts, I'd be trying to re-sign him and using high picks and big contracts on their many other needs.

I agree the arrow is pointing up on Henry, the reason I think he might be a good sell high, is because I don't think his ceiling is an RB1. With Murray gone, somebody in every league will think he'st the next young stud RB, and I just don't see it. I like Henry, but he's got a lot of holes in his game. I also think the Titans offense is going to be a lot different with Mularkey, and the Exotic Smashmouth gone. 

I think its very possible the Titans take a RB in the first 2-3 rounds. Or sign a FA with better receiving skills than Henry. 
New coaches clean house. We gotta choke on that with Murray and Gore. Murray is eons better at receiving than Gore or Henry. The deficiencies pointed out with Henry could be said for Gore too. He's nothing. If you watch the Colts, he gets 1 or 2 dump passes to keep a D honest. They'll put other backs in if a receiving back is needed. I highly doubt he has more than like 2 catches per game. Through the first quarter of the 2016 season, Murray was the Titans leading rusher and leading receiver and he lined up in the slot on third down because Kendall was out. 2017 was certainly a down year and we're stuck wondering if it was Murray, the bad offense, or both. If it was Murray, did he hit some old age point in his career? Even with those questions, Murray is still one of the best receiving backs in football. If you re-categorize him as a third down back or scat back and only compare him to similar, he'd be the best. His catch percentage is good, his first down rate is good, and his blocking is outstanding. 

(Assuming Leveon is franchised and Hyde re-signed or franchised) This is an exceptional year for receiving backs in free agency. It's not a very good year if a team needs a lead back, but for a backup to play third down it's great. Old Sproles, Dion Lewis, and Shane Vereen are (or were and old) special in this regard. Lance Dunbar and Rex Burkhead can play WR if necessary. I have long thought Andre Ellington and Damien Williams would be best suited for just a third down role. A strong rumor is Matt Forte being released. I'm not in favor of Forte or Jamaal Charles but my curiosity would be through the roof if my team signed one of them. Benny Cunningham is a nobody that suddenly impresses so I can't gauge him properly. 

If we discuss age as a big negative, then Dion Lewis should have a huge payday. If we don't, then I think Murray becomes the best of the free agents. I used to like Alfred Morris and I know some like Cincy's Hill and I wonder if the former Browns backs are any good away from that team. Still though, for a year, I think Murray is the best.

I don't see any big commitment type backs other than Lewis. I can't imagine big paydays and long contracts unless the market makes that happen.

Here see for yourself http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

short of Hyde and Bell, it looks like Dion Lewis is gonna get paid big

Bri said:
New coaches clean house. We gotta choke on that with Murray and Gore. Murray is eons better at receiving than Gore or Henry. The deficiencies pointed out with Henry could be said for Gore too. He's nothing. If you watch the Colts, he gets 1 or 2 dump passes to keep a D honest. They'll put other backs in if a receiving back is needed. I highly doubt he has more than like 2 catches per game. Through the first quarter of the 2016 season, Murray was the Titans leading rusher and leading receiver and he lined up in the slot on third down because Kendall was out. 2017 was certainly a down year and we're stuck wondering if it was Murray, the bad offense, or both. If it was Murray, did he hit some old age point in his career? Even with those questions, Murray is still one of the best receiving backs in football. If you re-categorize him as a third down back or scat back and only compare him to similar, he'd be the best. His catch percentage is good, his first down rate is good, and his blocking is outstanding. 

(Assuming Leveon is franchised and Hyde re-signed or franchised) This is an exceptional year for receiving backs in free agency. It's not a very good year if a team needs a lead back, but for a backup to play third down it's great. Old Sproles, Dion Lewis, and Shane Vereen are (or were and old) special in this regard. Lance Dunbar and Rex Burkhead can play WR if necessary. I have long thought Andre Ellington and Damien Williams would be best suited for just a third down role. A strong rumor is Matt Forte being released. I'm not in favor of Forte or Jamaal Charles but my curiosity would be through the roof if my team signed one of them. Benny Cunningham is a nobody that suddenly impresses so I can't gauge him properly. 

If we discuss age as a big negative, then Dion Lewis should have a huge payday. If we don't, then I think Murray becomes the best of the free agents. I used to like Alfred Morris and I know some like Cincy's Hill and I wonder if the former Browns backs are any good away from that team. Still though, for a year, I think Murray is the best.

I don't see any big commitment type backs other than Lewis. I can't imagine big paydays and long contracts unless the market makes that happen.

Here see for yourself http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

short of Hyde and Bell, it looks like Dion Lewis is gonna get paid big
I don't disagree with Murray as a passing down guy. He's the best pass blocking RB in the NFL in my opinion.

You didn't mention him, but I think Jerick McKinnon might sneakily be the best FA RB this offseason, assuming Bell doesn't hit the market. Minority opinion, but I felt he was the best RB on the Vikings, even before Cook went down. Whenever he doesn't have historically bad blocking(2016), he looks like a pro bowl caliber guy.

Yeah they did fire the coaches limited Henrys touches for no reason. I'm not sure why people think they can predict this new staff
It wasn't for no reason. He didn't do anything to separate from Murray, and mostly laid eggs, whenever Murray was injured. Maybe the new staff has more success with Henry, but its not like he's been tearing up in his limited chances. This isn't an MJD situation in my opinion, and its well within reason they add a back equally as good as Murray whether it be in the draft or free agency.

It wasn't for no reason. He didn't do anything to separate from Murray, and mostly laid eggs, whenever Murray was injured. Maybe the new staff has more success with Henry, but its not like he's been tearing up in his limited chances. This isn't an MJD situation in my opinion, and its well within reason they add a back equally as good as Murray whether it be in the draft or free agency.
Henry avg 4.2 yds per carry, which isn't terrible and was a lot better than that until his final 4 games.  He is more than capable to be the lead back.  I do believe however they will sign a COP back to pair with Henry, but that doesn't bother me at all.

For much of the season, Henry was the first backup (that I can think of, have asked for some before and got no replies) to surpass the starter in yards and not start. The bad offense has been said many times, but we also don't know how that impacted his confidence or the line's. There is some evidence that O lines block better for some backs while I think it's about momentum and the stats just show that. Anywho, by most any standards he should have been starting by midseason.

Less carries and more yards should be separation you're looking for

I don't disagree with Murray as a passing down guy. He's the best pass blocking RB in the NFL in my opinion.

You didn't mention him, but I think Jerick McKinnon might sneakily be the best FA RB this offseason, assuming Bell doesn't hit the market. Minority opinion, but I felt he was the best RB on the Vikings, even before Cook went down. Whenever he doesn't have historically bad blocking(2016), he looks like a pro bowl caliber guy.
He had 100 yards as a rookie and not one 100 yard game since despite 8 starts he was usually a 50ish yards guy. I had him a couple times in FF, off the WW, and had to drop him for their TD vulture. I used the recommendation from this board and it bit me. I can't recall the TD vulture name but he wasn't with them in 2017.

Hang on https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McKiJe00/gamelog/

Yeah he's really not what we would consider a special runner. Those stats are low if not ordinary. In three games, of 2017, he is more productive as a receiver than I noticed. I'm completely ignoring 5 catches for 12 yards which might be good for FF but isn't for NFL success. 

So yeah I missed some but here we are at these boards for many many years. There was that speedy back in Detroit that had the great moves but went nowhere. Biddle? from Carolina years ago. Both them are out of the league. McKinnon really just felt like another bad recommendation from the board. (There are plenty good to great...I'm not saying...) I guess I could admit I have some ignorance toward him but he didn't get in done for me in FF. 

For much of the season, Henry was the first backup (that I can think of, have asked for some before and got no replies) to surpass the starter in yards and not start. The bad offense has been said many times, but we also don't know how that impacted his confidence or the line's. There is some evidence that O lines block better for some backs while I think it's about momentum and the stats just show that. Anywho, by most any standards he should have been starting by midseason.

Less carries and more yards should be separation you're looking for
I won't argue Henry wasn't a more impressive runner than Murray in 2017, he was. I don't however feel he was enough of a better runner to overllok his deficiency to Murray as both a pass catcher and pass blocker. Should Henry have gotten more work? Maybe, I was just saying that it wasn't like he was this unbelievable player that the Titans were wasting by stupidly sticking with Murray. They were equals who brought different things to the table, and I think the Titans managed them just fine in my opinion. 

I expect the Titans to continue to use a RBBC next year, though its certainly possible the player the acquire won't be as good Murray, its also possible, especially if they draft a rookie, that they acquire who may end up better than Murray, or Henry. For that reason, I feel Henry could be a bit of a sell high as his value is tied to receiving a large increase in work, that I don't think is a lock to happen. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
He had 100 yards as a rookie and not one 100 yard game since despite 8 starts he was usually a 50ish yards guy. I had him a couple times in FF, off the WW, and had to drop him for their TD vulture. I used the recommendation from this board and it bit me. I can't recall the TD vulture name but he wasn't with them in 2017.

Hang on https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McKiJe00/gamelog/

Yeah he's really not what we would consider a special runner. Those stats are low if not ordinary. In three games, of 2017, he is more productive as a receiver than I noticed. I'm completely ignoring 5 catches for 12 yards which might be good for FF but isn't for NFL success. 

So yeah I missed some but here we are at these boards for many many years. There was that speedy back in Detroit that had the great moves but went nowhere. Biddle? from Carolina years ago. Both them are out of the league. McKinnon really just felt like another bad recommendation from the board. (There are plenty good to great...I'm not saying...) I guess I could admit I have some ignorance toward him but he didn't get in done for me in FF. 
Asiata was the TD vulture. 

McKinnon has decent size, and excellent quickness. He's also a very good receiver and pass blocker, though the blocking only happened recently. He arguably has no weaknesses to his game, other than perhaps ability to handle a 3-down workload, hence the TD vultures, which has certainly curbed his fantasy appeal, as has being suck behind Peterson for most of his career.

He's had a very good career YPC if you throw out 2016, when the Vikings had historically bad blocking. Le'Veon Bell wouldn't have hit 4 YPC for that team. McKinnon is a guy who just looks great on tape to me. I'll admit there is some hyperbole to the following statement, but he reminds me some of Priest Holmes, and I think given a perfect situation, could showcase that type of skill. I thin he's a far superior option to a guy like Carlos Hyde, or DeMarco Murray if/when he hits the market.

He didn't do anything to separate from Murray, and mostly laid eggs, whenever Murray was injured. 
Murray missed 3 games this year, all effectively playoff games (week 17 vs Jax, playoffs @kc and @nwe).

He had 63 rushes for 235 yards and 6 catches for 132 yards plus two touchdowns in those 3 games. 

Against Jacksonville he had 28 rushes for 51 yards but also had a 66 yard touchdown catch. Jacksonville sold out against the run and he still got 127 and a touchdown. And while his long catch may seem flukey, it's not - he averages over 10 yards a catch and has several long catches in his limited opportunities.  

Against the chiefs he had 23 rushes for 156 yards and a touchdown plus 2 catches for 35. That was a monster game. 

Against the patriots he had 12 for 28 rushing and 3 for 21 receiving, but only got one run in the entire second half because they trailed by as much as 35-7.

So he averages over 120 yards and has 2 touchdowns in the 3 games Murray missed. Hard to call that laying eggs 

Bri said:
I am going to have to disagree with you about this somewhat.

While its true that Murrays catch rate is above average, his yards per reception is slightly below average and it is trending down 3 years in a row now. The average for a RB is 7.3 yards per reception. Which is what Murray had in 2014 and 2015 with the Cowboys and Eagles respectively. It was 7.1 ypr in 2016 with the Titans and then 6.8 ypr last year. Being below average is not being one of the best or the best. Murray over the last 3 years he has averaged 80% catch rate and 7.1 yards per reception.

The average is 73% catch rate and 7.3 yards per reception.

Duke Johnson has been one of the best receiving RB in the league who is not a starter. Over the last 3 years he has averaged 78% catch rate 9.3 yards per reception.

Theo RIddick also been good recently. Over the last 3 years he averaged 78% catch rate 8.1 yards per reception.

Chris Thompson has averaged 75% catch rate 8.7 yards per reception.

Then you have starters such as David Johnson, Bell, Freeman, McCoy and so on who are also better receivers than Murray is. At least if by best we are talking about proficiency and execution.

I just happened to be talking about Success rate from football outsiders the other day and Murray showed up as one of the worst RBs in this metric in 2017 with 39% only Doug Martin had a worse success rate out of qualifying RB last year. Which makes it even more frustrating is that Mularkey stuck with Murray as the starter even though he was not running very well. What does that say about Derrick Henry if Mularkey had good reasons to stick with Murray even when he was not playing well? Or does it just say that Mularkey deserved to be fired for that among other not very smart decisions he made as the head coach?

I wouldn't agree with you in regards to McKinnon and Dalvin Cook, but I do think McKinnon is better than Latavius Murray and likely DeMarco Murray right now as well.

His blocking has improved almost every year. He did a really good job in that area last season and a better job than Lat Murray. He is a pretty good RB. 

What does that say about Derrick Henry if Mularkey had good reasons to stick with Murray even when he was not playing well? Or does it just say that Mularkey deserved to be fired for that among other not very smart decisions he made as the head coach?
It might just mean he was more comfortable running his offense with the veteran he'd designed the offense around while they had a solid season where they went to the second round of the playoffs.

It might just mean he was more comfortable running his offense with the veteran he'd designed the offense around while they had a solid season where they went to the second round of the playoffs.
Yeah Mularkey wasn't very flexible. He wanted to stick with Murray regardless and keep Henry in the 4 minute offense type of role. He didn't change this even when Murray was injured and not performing as well as he had previously. Very slow to change and adjust from my point of view.

I am only aware of this because I had Henry last year and so I was following it closely. Murray had a lot of injuries last year that he played through, he just did not play well through them. Seems to me a good time to rest your starter and let the young RB show what they can do more for awhile, but the opposite happened until Murray had enough cascade injuries that they had to shut him down.

Users who are viewing this thread