What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

The dude has been looking out for his health ever since he got ran down and got his leg broke. That’s why he always got caught from behind,, he always feared that same injury (and he’s slow).

A lot of these guys are retiring younger. He seems to be a pretty smart guy and he has some other opportunities off the field.

His retirement has to mean something. Otherwise, there's really no advantage to announcing it.

Murray is 30 years old & not getting the kind of contract he wants. Could he have signed somewhere for the vet minimum? Probably, but it's obviously not what he's looking for.

He's likely ok financially & evidently has no interest in playing for a sub-par contract. Some guys try to hang on no matter what, others take another way out.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was dropped in one of my dynasty leagues today and I picked him up because we can carry extra players in the off-season.  I really don't care if he quits or not, but I think he would sign in the even of an injury in the right situation.  I could be on drugs however.

lol... calling bluffs, publicity... maybe he just doesnt like football, has enough money, and wants to enjoy his life. 

considering most NFL players dont really enjoy football, according to a story from last off season, I'm not surprised. 

Murray had a guest spot yesterday on ESPN's NFL Live.  I thought he handled himself quite well and wondered if he was auditioning for his post retirement career.  Came sooner then I thought...

Dr. Dan said:
lol... calling bluffs, publicity... maybe he just doesnt like football, has enough money, and wants to enjoy his life. 

considering most NFL players dont really enjoy football, according to a story from last off season, I'm not surprised. 
Why wait until now to retire? Why didn't he retire at the end of the year? Yesterday he would have signed on with a team if they paid him, and today he's decided that he just doesn't like football, and has enough money. Something is off.

Let me know when he files the paperwork.  Until then I'm not 100% convinced he's serious.

Read this on twitter, thought it was funny

REPORT: It took DeMarco Murray 20 attempts to carry his retirement papers 25 yards from the front door of NFL’s office to the desk

Why wait until now to retire? Why didn't he retire at the end of the year? Yesterday he would have signed on with a team if they paid him, and today he's decided that he just doesn't like football, and has enough money. Something is off.
Nothing is off, this happens all the time with vets. The season ends, they don't get the offers they want in FA, they fade into the background, and when training camp approaches and they're forced to confront the reality of their situation, or they've had time to think about it and live life not on a roster for a few months, they make the call. Hell we might see this with Dez within a month or two, who knows. I think he's still got plenty of TDs left but who knows. 

I'm not saying he couldn't be enticed to play again for the right money. I don't know the guy. I'm just saying nothing about this is "off". 

Sometimes the reason is to have closure and get the media talking about the player one last time, a kind of retrospective on their careers once they've already left the limelight but aren't HOF caliber, and can't expect to be honored or remembered really. Those types of players are forgotten very quickly. We see this every off-season, even random journeyman nobodies will "announce their retirement" out of nowhere a year or two after they last had a contract as if anyone expected them to play anyways. Maybe its about closure, maybe it's one last gasp for relevance, maybe its a desire to be talked about one last time, or maybe its just a standard press release an agent makes about a retiring player before they no longer need an agent. Whatever it is it happens all the time. 

wow that was a quick fall.  He had a great year just 2 seasons ago and an insane one 4 years ago.

Hard to believe he couldnt have contributed somewhere

wow that was a quick fall.  He had a great year just 2 seasons ago and an insane one 4 years ago.

Hard to believe he couldnt have contributed somewhere
This. Third in the NFL two years ago. 

I know he got five offers.

****let me backtrack****

NFL folks were real hard on him stinking in Philly. Very few expected him to do well in TEN. Titans were one of the worst teams in the NFL and oh so welcoming. He loved it there. Everything from the city, to the ordinary people, to the veterans, the young guys with great attitudes that JRob was drafting. He moved his family to Tennessee and said he doesn't just plan to retire there but stay there the rest of his life. He was awesome with the younger players and did lots of big brother veteran mentoring stuff. When he was released, the Titans thanked him as if he was like some 10 year guy they drafted and not someone that was briefly there. There was a real major connection there. The change in coaching staff and the NFL's need to get younger latest and greatest etc...it was unfortunate. I wouldn't say Vrabel cut him and cast blame just that Mularkey adored him and never would have cut "his boy." 

The Titans big muscular "Titan" has been almost with the team for a few years now. He is a former champion weight lifter/body builder that works/runs a Nashville gym. In some ways, he IS the Titans offseason workout program. All the Titans go workout with him during the offseason and he has done an awesome job sending them to spring camps in better shape than the year before. Two or three years ago, there was a scene at camp where a player got hurt and the player wanted him (watching from stands) and not the trainer or asst trainer. He ran onto the field (no one stopped him) and stretched out the leg cramp then returned to the stands. From there things developed. Players get injured and go to him for strength training and someone else for reflexology. He now attends camp as an advisor and helps with whatever he sees and has free rein- there are stories of him cooking and stories of him telling Mularkey that someone was "done" and "gave all he's got." The Titans organization loves him. He's even trained the owner and taught the general manager's kid the right way to lift weights. Supposedly he gets paid a ton of money as a part time advisor during camp and to be the mascot. He can't be employed in the spring per NFL rules and I guess that's how they work all that out.

Murray always got strains and sprains. He was one of many players that were very close to this guy and would text him often and be at his gym super late Sunday night or super early Monday morning to work through things privately or just chat and ice up....whatever was needed. The Titans have two trainers and they spend a ton of time with them. This guy is the offseason guy and the friend they can turn to. I don't want to overstate his regular season influence which is more chatty than anything else. Anywho Murray was close with him.

Murray got a huge offer from the Bears a day or two after the Titans released him. He couldn't believe he was released. The Bears had Jordan Howard leaving and staying stuff, a losing team, a new staff, and... he turned them down. He received veteran minimum offers from a ton of teams and turned them down. Then things got real quiet.

*****one more backtrack*****

Murray felt like he had an impressive college career and was hurt pretty badly by "everyone" saying he was just a third down scat back and wouldn't be much in the NFL but a complimentary player. He spent his whole career proving them wayyyy wrong.

Recently he received five offers. The Titans again offered him the veteran minimum as did the Pats. Belichick has a stable of RBs but a veteran that has played WR and RB, gem of a lockerroom presence, and is excellent in pass protection- BB would have used him. I thought it'd upset the FF world with everyone buying on every Pats RB, as Murray bumped someone out. I'm not arguing this point- just to say that BB has a long history of utilizing useful veterans near the end of their careers so Murray would be the next in line and JRob copies whatever he can from the Pats.

The Bears again made a considerable offer but have denied they did for whatever reason. 

One of the Jets or Giants made him an offer. The guess is that it was to mentor Barkley.

The fifth team I don't know but now some say it was the Browns. Mary Kay says it's wasn't. 

What he liked best was the Titans offer because he loved his time there and has the respect of the players and camaraderie there. The amount of dings is not worth the NFL minimum for a RB. Coming in now, he probably isn't going to even get enough reps to beat out Henry or Lewis, so there isn't this prospect of achieving a goal of starting. He oh so strongly doesn't want to be "just a third down back" and this would hurt his pride after all he's accomplished. Again he loves the city and his family is moved there. He didn't want to move them again or be away from them for a large chunk of the year. Supposedly he met with the "mascot" and he pointed out to him that everything he wants in life is in Nashville except for football. He also supposedly talked to Sam Bradford and Karl Klug. The day he was going to announce, he spoke with both Vrabel and BB- both wanted him but both weren't offering what he wanted to hear. After one of those calls, he spoke to his wife (he said "and it was quick man") and then called his agent to let him know he's retiring.

Things change and players start itching to play when camp starts and when the regular season starts- he could be the guy some team signs in October to fill in for an injured player. He could be. It seems final though

He oh so strongly doesn't want to be "just a third down back" and this would hurt his pride after all he's accomplished.

He didn't want to move them again or be away from them for a large chunk of the year. 
Has he said any of this or are you just speculating? or are you his best friend? 

Has he said any of this or are you just speculating? or are you his best friend? 
Man you flame me every time I post. If you don't know who I am or what team I have written about for years...I'm not posting a resume to satisfy your curiosities. If you don't like the info then don't quote it and leave me alone. In general, people appreciate my Titans postings here and I appreciate their FF input. That's it- all positive. Take your negatives somewhere else. I don't have time for that stuff

Man you flame me every time I post. If you don't know who I am or what team I have written about for years...I'm not posting a resume to satisfy your curiosities. If you don't like the info then don't quote it and leave me alone. In general, people appreciate my Titans postings here and I appreciate their FF input. That's it- all positive. Take your negatives somewhere else. I don't have time for that stuff
I love your titans stuff, you have great input, but you make some pretty significant assumptions in that post. I wasnt sure if you knew him personally or if you read something I didn't. 

How do you know he didn't want a 3rd down role, and how do you know hes at all concerned about his pride? 

your post was fantastic until you started getting into it a little too much writing speculation as fact. I asked if you knew something I didn't, and you start talking about your resume. question answered I guess. dont get all bent out of shape

FTR your titans stuff is what has me buying titans any way I can 

I love your titans stuff, you have great input, but you make some pretty significant assumptions in that post. I wasnt sure if you knew him personally or if you read something I didn't. 

How do you know he didn't want a 3rd down role, and how do you know hes at all concerned about his pride? 

your post was fantastic until you started getting into it a little too much writing speculation as fact. I asked if you knew something I didn't, and you start talking about your resume. question answered I guess. dont get all bent out of shape

FTR your titans stuff is what has me buying titans any way I can 
It doesn't work this way. I befriended reporters years ago and some (now gone) staff members in a surprising way. Over the years, I have befriended some players like e-friend or...that's too strong, send a message now and then is all. I chat Titans all the time. My writing has formed some friendships with diehards and they'll send me videos from camp. Yes the rule is no cameras but you'll notice in just about every picture there are about 1000 people holding their phones up. People don't usually want to be quoted and they certainly don't care much about being quoted on a board. I can't post videos because everyone has this notion that they'll be spotted since drones are flying around or...idk why they just don't want em' posted. I wrecked a relationship for years because I quoted someone without asking and they were like "we were just chatting what the..." Quoting someone in a newspaper is different as is on some major website. If I start doing that though, then people get apprehensive. (insert me taking time off to be a single dad and raise my kids, then returning and re-engaging relationships and making new ones) I was so grateful to be well received and like some unspoken welcome back. I never want to upset anyone and sure that makes me a bit quirky on here but it's how things are. In all honesty, I ain't all that good with relationships in my personal life but Titans ones...I do real well with those. Maybe it's quirky maybe it's some personal issue...it is what it is. I quit writing for Yahoo and Cover32 late last year. When I quit USAToday many years ago, like I said, I mangled relationships. I'm a bit guarded maybe but I haven't received any good offers myself this year just many typical type piddly pay stuff. If I'm done writing then I'm just gonna enjoy my relationships. That's where I'm at.

As far as Murray not wanting to be just a third down back- that was on the radio. IIRC on NFL Network, some time ago...a month? two?, he was asked if he is less enthused about it and confirmed. It wasn't much because the conversation just shifts to OK he wants to be a featured back. The radio was recent. Once a year (minimum) he has said some comment about not being just a third down back and the draft was a long time ago for him. You can call it an assumption that it hurt his pride but I would call it an obvious conclusion.

People here don't like when I say someone's face looked angry and/or the tone of their voice changed. They think I'm reading too much into it and...I get that. I guess I'd be making an assumption if I did that but y'all stopped me from that habit. And it was kind of hard with all the pressers being streamed live. I could see the disappointment on Mularkey's face and ya can't mistake a big huge smile as being happy. I was giddy when the pressers were streamed live. It changed things for me dramatically and...idk I can roll with that. I thought it was good feedback from people here.

I don't like to justify my posts every time. Sorry but there are a lot of members and it can be a bit much sometimes. I've been posting here for what seems like decades and I'd like to think I don't have to anymore. I know I do sometimes but I really don't like to.

It doesn't work this way. I befriended reporters years ago and some (now gone) staff members in a surprising way. Over the years, I have befriended some players like e-friend or...that's too strong, send a message now and then is all. I chat Titans all the time. My writing has formed some friendships with diehards and they'll send me videos from camp. Yes the rule is no cameras but you'll notice in just about every picture there are about 1000 people holding their phones up. People don't usually want to be quoted and they certainly don't care much about being quoted on a board. I can't post videos because everyone has this notion that they'll be spotted since drones are flying around or...idk why they just don't want em' posted. I wrecked a relationship for years because I quoted someone without asking and they were like "we were just chatting what the..." Quoting someone in a newspaper is different as is on some major website. If I start doing that though, then people get apprehensive. (insert me taking time off to be a single dad and raise my kids, then returning and re-engaging relationships and making new ones) I was so grateful to be well received and like some unspoken welcome back. I never want to upset anyone and sure that makes me a bit quirky on here but it's how things are. In all honesty, I ain't all that good with relationships in my personal life but Titans ones...I do real well with those. Maybe it's quirky maybe it's some personal issue...it is what it is. I quit writing for Yahoo and Cover32 late last year. When I quit USAToday many years ago, like I said, I mangled relationships. I'm a bit guarded maybe but I haven't received any good offers myself this year just many typical type piddly pay stuff. If I'm done writing then I'm just gonna enjoy my relationships. That's where I'm at.

As far as Murray not wanting to be just a third down back- that was on the radio. IIRC on NFL Network, some time ago...a month? two?, he was asked if he is less enthused about it and confirmed. It wasn't much because the conversation just shifts to OK he wants to be a featured back. The radio was recent. Once a year (minimum) he has said some comment about not being just a third down back and the draft was a long time ago for him. You can call it an assumption that it hurt his pride but I would call it an obvious conclusion.

People here don't like when I say someone's face looked angry and/or the tone of their voice changed. They think I'm reading too much into it and...I get that. I guess I'd be making an assumption if I did that but y'all stopped me from that habit. And it was kind of hard with all the pressers being streamed live. I could see the disappointment on Mularkey's face and ya can't mistake a big huge smile as being happy. I was giddy when the pressers were streamed live. It changed things for me dramatically and...idk I can roll with that. I thought it was good feedback from people here.

I don't like to justify my posts every time. Sorry but there are a lot of members and it can be a bit much sometimes. I've been posting here for what seems like decades and I'd like to think I don't have to anymore. I know I do sometimes but I really don't like to.
Thanks for clarifying the lead back thing. I obviously dont have access to local radio in TN. 

I agree with your last paragraph 100%. I've repeated myself about 30 times justifying why I said what I did and why it's true or backed by fact. it gets annoying. I didn't mean to come across that way with what you said, just curious where the info was coming from, because the rest of the post was really great "inside" or local information. I apologize if I came across as those that irritate me with those questions

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
probably nothing, but this morning Demarco Murray listed his Nashville area home for sale...

Had yesterdays news not happened this probably wouldnt matter but since it did I just thought I'd pass this info along

probably nothing, but this morning Demarco Murray listed his Nashville area home for sale...

Had yesterdays news not happened this probably wouldnt matter but since it did I just thought I'd pass this info along
NFL players often sell their homes after they retire and a shockingly high number (90%?) get divorced within X amount of years of retirement. There was a failed site setup two years ago that was to educate and help players and their families but ...it's gone.  Anyhow, this could just be normal. Ya gotta adjust when you're no longer making millions each year

Downsizing or moving closer to his home or wife's. This is kind of natural for players however depending how long they've been in a city they may stay. John LeClair of the Flyers has a house in my area he's kept since retiring as he's done a lot for the area travels back to Boston in summer to see family. Brent Celek retired and still in the area is opening up a restaurant or something 30 mins from me. John Ritchie lived 10 mins from me when he was playing here but moved closer to his work as he works for local Sports radio. Others have left after not being in the city for awhile. It's natural for players to move. WOuldn't put much into it. 

I wouldn’t say zero percent chance he returns, but at Week 13 already having sat out doing little to no football related activities for almost a year then I’d say it’s about as close to zero as chances can be.

Users who are viewing this thread