Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ß .

Kenny Britt

I've felt like this guy's value has been inflated by a fortunate string of touchdown catches in 2010 and then a very lucky shuffle pass by Hasselbeck in 2011 before tearing his ACL. However, his poor showing in 2012 - possibly due to ACL recovery, poor QB play, or a combination thereof - has seen his stock hit record lows. I think he's going later than WR40 in most mocks.

I know his value is hinged to Locker's, but what are his chances of being a WR2 this year? Is he a legitimate TD guy or did he just get lucky in 2010?

I'm primarily interested in 2013 prospects, but it is worth noting that he is a free agent next year. So is he worth targeting in long-term leagues with the hope that he shows enough this year that he'll get a chance to be a WR1 for a decent QB next year?

I've felt like this guy's value has been inflated by a fortunate string of touchdown catches in 2010 and then a very lucky shuffle pass by Hasselbeck in 2011 before tearing his ACL. However, his poor showing in 2012 - possibly due to ACL recovery, poor QB play, or a combination thereof - has seen his stock hit record lows. I think he's going later than WR40 in most mocks.

I know his value is hinged to Locker's, but what are his chances of being a WR2 this year? Is he a legitimate TD guy or did he just get lucky in 2010?

I'm primarily interested in 2013 prospects, but it is worth noting that he is a free agent next year. So is he worth targeting in long-term leagues with the hope that he shows enough this year that he'll get a chance to be a WR1 for a decent QB next year?

A career 16 YPR isn't luck. He's extremely talented but he's truly a headcase and he still doesn't seem he gets it. Locker is a major question mark for him and I'm not sure he'll reach his potential with him. I expect very inconsistent numbers this year but if he leaves in 2014 to a good situation and gets his head on straight he could easily replicate Brandon Marshall.

I don't think his environment will be able to support him into being what he could be. If he played in Dallas or Green Bay or The Giants or somewhere like that where they allow a player's mismatch abilities to be featured, I would say he could be in the VJAX range without a doubt.

As it stands right now, I think he is more likely to be a Lance Moore or maybe a Stevie Johnson type.

Next year, as a FA, if he ended up in, say, Carolina, and Steve Smith was phased out, I'd be pulling out a lot of stops to get him. I think he is a guy that goes from potentially very good to beastly if you put him in one of those Brandon Marshall type situations where the team truly features him, moves him all about, and really pays attention to him in the short passing game where he can get some yards after the catch.

In Tennessee, I don't think he is all that special.

A career 16 YPR isn't luck. He's extremely talented but he's truly a headcase and he still doesn't seem he gets it. Locker is a major question mark for him and I'm not sure he'll reach his potential with him. I expect very inconsistent numbers this year but if he leaves in 2014 to a good situation and gets his head on straight he could easily replicate Brandon Marshall.

I didn't say all his long receptions were luck. But if you go back and watch that 80 yard TD that came from a shuffle pass, then you'll agree - that was luck.

I didn't say all his long receptions were luck. But if you go back and watch that 80 yard TD that came from a shuffle pass, then you'll agree - that was luck.

You could say the same thing about a lot of guys then regarding lucky TDs.

I think Britt is super talented. Easily top 10 in the game.......................but his brain is bottom 10. It's a problem.

I still like him a lot though, and do own him a few places, and would never trade him for less than about 3x his current market value (which seems to be real low at the moment)

I think Britt is super talented. Easily top 10 in the game.......................but his brain is bottom 10. It's a problem.

I still like him a lot though, and do own him a few places, and would never trade him for less than about 3x his current market value (which seems to be real low at the moment)

I feel the same way. He will die or prosper on my roster. I can't get anything for him near his upside.

No, I would not say that about a lot of guys. This was just ridiculous. Plus, it made it look like he was blowing up to begin 2011, but without that play, I think there'd have been 80% less hype about him. Britt may or may not be super talented, but this play is 100% bad defense: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82225eca/QB-Hasselbeck-to-WR-Britt-80-yd-pass-TD

Even Vincent Jackson could have run that one in: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000082909/Wk-7-Can-t-Miss-Play-Vincent-Jackson-runs-out-of-gas-after-incredible-run

No, I would not say that about a lot of guys. This was just ridiculous. Plus, it made it look like he was blowing up to begin 2011, but without that play, I think there'd have been 80% less hype about him. Britt may or may not be super talented, but this play is 100% bad defense: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82225eca/QB-Hasselbeck-to-WR-Britt-80-yd-pass-TD

Even Vincent Jackson could have run that one in: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000082909/Wk-7-Can-t-Miss-Play-Vincent-Jackson-runs-out-of-gas-after-incredible-run

Yeah without that long one he would have just caught three more passes and a short touchdown on that drive. He hasn't put together a complete season yet but probably has more upside than anyone in his current "tier".

Yeah without that long one he would have just caught three more passes and a short touchdown on that drive.

Yeah, ok :rolleyes:

You Britt owners are a touchy bunch. I call a blatantly lucky TD "lucky" and you guys act like I'm calling him a scrub. I agree that he's got some talent, but I'm looking for some constructive discussion on his prospects for 2013. Hearing that the people who own him think he's super talented and undervalued is nice (better than his owners looking to cut ties) but it just doesn't quite sell him to anyone who is window shopping for 2013 redrafts.

Yeah without that long one he would have just caught three more passes and a short touchdown on that drive.

You Britt owners are a touchy bunch. I call a blatantly lucky TD "lucky" and you guys act like I'm calling him a scrub. I agree that he's got some talent, but I'm looking for some constructive discussion on his prospects for 2013. Hearing that the people who own him think he's super talented and undervalued is nice (better than his owners looking to cut ties) but it just doesn't quite sell him to anyone who is window shopping for 2013 redrafts.

Not touchy at all. I think the guy is a turd, however if all the stars align (which I dont have confidence it will) he has the talent to be top 10 at his position. You are acting as though the "lucky td" is the only play the guy flashed any talent. I am simply disagreeing with your opinion. For redraft the key IMO is his knee. If he is back to a 100% (and out of trouble) I have no concerns about him producing. It is a contract year - I am sure he has plenty of people reminding him that this is his chance to make the money.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. I am not sure how a guy with top 10 upside being drafted late doesn't fit your criteria of targets for redraft. Unless you just simply believe he does not have the talent to succeed his already low draft position.

Not touchy at all. I think the guy is a turd, however if all the stars align (which I dont have confidence it will) he has the talent to be top 10 at his position. You are acting as though the "lucky td" is the only play the guy flashed any talent. I am simply disagreeing with your opinion. For redraft the key IMO is his knee. If he is back to a 100% (and out of trouble) I have no concerns about him producing. It is a contract year - I am sure he has plenty of people reminding him that this is his chance to make the money.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. I am not sure how a guy with top 10 upside being drafted late doesn't fit your criteria of targets for redraft. Unless you just simply believe he does not have the talent to succeed his already low draft position.

Will he actually be drafted late? Last year coming off the ACL he was in the top 30.

What is your point???

He is super talented from the neck down. Everyone knows he is an idiot. Will it cause him to rehab poorly from his knee injury?? Maybe. Will it cause hiim to suck forever and be inconsistent forever??? Maybe.

But if he works hard and stays clean, I think he will be real good for a long time. If he does the things he is supposed to do, he is too talented to not be a highly valued fantasy receiver.

Every player in the league has a lucky TD, so pointing out some lucky TD is kinda stupid. We ALL know the guy isnt gonna score in every game of his career like he did in the first two games on 2011.

Yeah, ok :rolleyes: You Britt owners are a touchy bunch. I call a blatantly lucky TD "lucky" and you guys act like I'm calling him a scrub. I agree that he's got some talent, but I'm looking for some constructive discussion on his prospects for 2013. Hearing that the people who own him think he's super talented and undervalued is nice (better than his owners looking to cut ties) but it just doesn't quite sell him to anyone who is window shopping for 2013 redrafts.
Not touchy at all. I think the guy is a turd, however if all the stars align (which I dont have confidence it will) he has the talent to be top 10 at his position. You are acting as though the "lucky td" is the only play the guy flashed any talent. I am simply disagreeing with your opinion. For redraft the key IMO is his knee. If he is back to a 100% (and out of trouble) I have no concerns about him producing. It is a contract year - I am sure he has plenty of people reminding him that this is his chance to make the money. Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. I am not sure how a guy with top 10 upside being drafted late doesn't fit your criteria of targets for redraft. Unless you just simply believe he does not have the talent to succeed his already low draft position.
Will he actually be drafted late? Last year coming off the ACL he was in the top 30.
In redrafts or in dynasty???? Big difference there. No way he was going near that in redraft. In the redrafts I have done so far he is going 7th round on average. I will take him in the 7th if I can. Edited by ghostguy123

Yeah, ok :rolleyes: You Britt owners are a touchy bunch. I call a blatantly lucky TD "lucky" and you guys act like I'm calling him a scrub. I agree that he's got some talent, but I'm looking for some constructive discussion on his prospects for 2013. Hearing that the people who own him think he's super talented and undervalued is nice (better than his owners looking to cut ties) but it just doesn't quite sell him to anyone who is window shopping for 2013 redrafts.
Not touchy at all. I think the guy is a turd, however if all the stars align (which I dont have confidence it will) he has the talent to be top 10 at his position. You are acting as though the "lucky td" is the only play the guy flashed any talent. I am simply disagreeing with your opinion. For redraft the key IMO is his knee. If he is back to a 100% (and out of trouble) I have no concerns about him producing. It is a contract year - I am sure he has plenty of people reminding him that this is his chance to make the money. Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. I am not sure how a guy with top 10 upside being drafted late doesn't fit your criteria of targets for redraft. Unless you just simply believe he does not have the talent to succeed his already low draft position.
In redrafts or in dynasty???? Big difference there. No way he was going near that in redraft. In the redrafts I have done so far he is going 7th round on average. I will take him in the 7th if I can.

Agree with that. 7th round for his upside is a great match. Of course as we get closer to kickoff and he is healthy we will see him climb a few rounds, but as of now he looks to be someone I will be targeting.

In redrafts or in dynasty???? Big difference there. No way he was going near that in redraft.

In the redrafts I have done so far he is going 7th round on average. I will take him in the 7th if I can.

Sorry for the confusion, WR30.

WR 30 for redraft was actually pretty late. Still not sure what you are saying there.

You asked if he would actually be drafted late, yet last year he WAS drafted late.

Of course, obviously, this year he will be drafted well ahead of where he was in redrafts last year.

WR 30 for redraft was actually pretty late. Still not sure what you are saying there.

You asked if he would actually be drafted late, yet last year he WAS drafted late.

Of course, obviously, this year he will be drafted well ahead of where he was in redrafts last year.

If he was 30 last year then I expect him to go easily in the top 20 this year. With everyone expecting a career year I don't think he's going to be a value. I could see him going in the 5th in redrafts.

If he was 30 last year then I expect him to go easily in the top 20 this year. With everyone expecting a career year I don't think he's going to be a value. I could see him going in the 5th in redrafts.

Well, he is going in the 7th NOW, and this is before people are picking any rookies early. In the 4 drafts I have seen, only 1 rookie has gone before Britt was picked.

Of course in SOME drafts he will go in the 5th.

And who is "everyone" that is expecting a career year?? And what does "career year" mean for someone like Britt anyway?

Clearly you dont like him, so just dont draft him. Fair enough?

I took him in the 7th in one of them because he has a lot of upside. In a redraft league you either win, or lose. 2nd place -12th place to me is the same. I think Britt's upside is pretty darn high, and I am willing to take a chance on him at that point in the draft.

Well, he is going in the 7th NOW, and this is before people are picking any rookies early. In the 4 drafts I have seen, only 1 rookie has gone before Britt was picked.

Of course in SOME drafts he will go in the 5th.

And who is "everyone" that is expecting a career year?? And what does "career year" mean for someone like Britt anyway?

Clearly you dont like him, so just dont draft him. Fair enough?

I took him in the 7th in one of them because he has a lot of upside. In a redraft league you either win, or lose. 2nd place -12th place to me is the same. I think Britt's upside is pretty darn high, and I am willing to take a chance on him at that point in the draft.

Sensitive much? Obviously I do like him because I drafted him high in a recent dynasty startup (although I did trade him away after). What he's going for now likely isn't close to what he going to go for as the season approaches. If you can get him in the 7th round, that's great but I don't expect it to be the case for very long. I actually like him a lot and think he's going to go for 70/1100/10 this year.

*sigh* No, I'm not acting as though the lucky TD is the only play the guy flashed any talent. I just think that having back-to-back 100 yard games with scores prior to injury really got the hype train rolling. I was just speculating that if his 2011 stats were 4-36-1 and 9-135-1 that people would not have been flipping out about him. He had plenty of hype due to scoring 9 TDs on just 42 receptions the year before, so those back-to-back games were the catalyst for uber hype.

I really don't have an opinion on him right now. I was just trying to get some level headed discussion here, so I wanted to remind everyone that his numbers aren't exactly what they appear.

Let me ask you this: who would you rather have in a redraft: Torrey Smith, Blackmon, or Britt? They are all young guys with high ceilings. Smith's stock is down because he failed to take the next step from his rookie year (finishing WR23 both years with very similar stat lines) and Blackmon flashed some talent while playing with Henne.

When you guys are stating - Top 10 Talent - do you not look at the rest of the team he plays on? Yeah, if Britt had Manning throwing to him, he could achieve top 10. He has Locker, who hasn't proven he's a great QB, on an offense that hands off to CJ2K majority of the time. Titan's are still building thier O line and haven't proved they could protect Locker long enough to throw a ball in the pocket consistantly. Yeah, if the stars line up, but that's a big IF.

*sigh* No, I'm not acting as though the lucky TD is the only play the guy flashed any talent. I just think that having back-to-back 100 yard games with scores prior to injury really got the hype train rolling. I was just speculating that if his 2011 stats were 4-36-1 and 9-135-1 that people would not have been flipping out about him. He had plenty of hype due to scoring 9 TDs on just 42 receptions the year before, so those back-to-back games were the catalyst for uber hype.

I really don't have an opinion on him right now. I was just trying to get some level headed discussion here, so I wanted to remind everyone that his numbers aren't exactly what they appear.

Let me ask you this: who would you rather have in a redraft: Torrey Smith, Blackmon, or Britt? They are all young guys with high ceilings. Smith's stock is down because he failed to take the next step from his rookie year (finishing WR23 both years with very similar stat lines) and Blackmon flashed some talent while playing with Henne.

If I did three redrafts, I would probably take each guy once given the opportunity. That's a tough call.

But asking for a level headed discussion about Britt, not gonna happen. I mean, is there any other player in fantasy football right now with as much variance in perceived value from person to person??

In 2010, as a second year player catching passes thrown by Kerry Collins and Vince Young, he was on pace for 1000 / 12. In 2011 he came out on fire before blowing out his knee. Pre-injury, he clearly had the goods. He looked like crap most of last year, but sometimes it takes a while to recover fully from a catastrophic injury like that. I'm still buying at this point -- he was a situation-proof WR1 in the 15 games he played over 2010 - 2011, and sometimes injuries are just bad luck.

That said, I also see the downside. There's a pretty decent chance he's happy making millions and living the thug life and will never work hard enough to make it all the way back.

He's a guy for which individual rankings will vary hugely, and very reasonably, based on individual risk tolerance. He could put up anywhere from 1200 / 10 to 700 / 5 moving forward...

If I did three redrafts, I would probably take each guy once given the opportunity. That's a tough call.

But asking for a level headed discussion about Britt, not gonna happen. I mean, is there any other player in fantasy football right now with as much variance in perceived value from person to person??

Hmm, maybe Nicks or Wallace. But I get your point. That's why I thought he'd be an interesting topic of conversation, especially during this dead period of the offseason. I know it's early, but it's hard not to start planning strategy when I see some ADPs rolling out and I'm doing a PDSL draft.

There's no point in discussing guys like Reggie Wayne or Brandon Marshall. However, it would be useful if we could sort out players like Britt and Blackmon. Or at least get some thoughts on both sides of the coin. Who to snag at WR3 is always interesting - around that ADP it's usually undervalued vets who are declining but will outperform their ADPs while lacking the big upside (got Smiff at WR35 in PDSL3), talented but injury prone guys that people don't trust (Miles Austin), and shaky up and comers (Britt, Torrey, Blackmon).

Kenny Britt's knee OK as Titans resume workouts

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

A shell of his former self in 2012, contract-year wide receiver Kenny Britt was under the microscope when the Tennessee Titans jump-started workouts on Monday.

After training in California earlier this offseason, Britt impressed teammates with his conditioning and the state of his surgically repaired knee.

"He came back and looked great during workouts," quarterback Jake Locker said via The Tennessean. "It sounds like he really got on his rehab and got his knee feeling a lot better and I'm really excited about how he came back."

Cornerback Jason McCourty noted that the enigmatic wideout "looks like the normal Kenny Britt."

It's a great sign Britt's knee is at least passing the eyeball test. Coming off a right ACL/MCL reconstruction, a follow-up procedure and a meniscus tear on his left side, Britt lost his play-making ability last season.

Even in his aberrant eight-catch, 143-yard performance against the Indianapolis Colts in early December, Britt's numbers were inflated by a pair of 46-yard bombs in which he failed to separate from coverage. That game accounted for a quarter of Britt's 589 receiving yards.

It's important for Britt to recapture his "special" pre-injury form in a make-or-break season for his Titans career. It's just as important that he stay out of the hoosegow for the rest of the offseason.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

I have a hard time believing that Britt has turned over a new leaf (blurb from Rotoworld):

The Nashville Tennessean suggests Kenny Britt's trouble-free offseason could be a "launching pad" for Britt's breakout year.

Beat reporter Jim Wyatt writes that Britt "by all accounts" got serious this offseason, and "impressed coaches and teammates" by reporting to spring workouts in prime physical condition. Britt is in a contract season and can still salvage his All-Pro talent going on age 25. While Tennessee's QB situation is an obvious concern, Britt offers mammoth upside for a likely mid-round fantasy pick.

I have a hard time believing that Britt has turned over a new leaf (blurb from Rotoworld):

The Nashville Tennessean suggests Kenny Britt's trouble-free offseason could be a "launching pad" for Britt's breakout year.

Beat reporter Jim Wyatt writes that Britt "by all accounts" got serious this offseason, and "impressed coaches and teammates" by reporting to spring workouts in prime physical condition. Britt is in a contract season and can still salvage his All-Pro talent going on age 25. While Tennessee's QB situation is an obvious concern, Britt offers mammoth upside for a likely mid-round fantasy pick.

People said the same thing about Dez last offseason. IMO he is worth the risk and he hasnt even slapped his Momma.

• Like 1

Britt has an ADP smack between Anquan Boldin and Tampa Mike right now in the 9th round.

If I'm picking between them for my WR4/5 spot then it isn't a contest. Britt gets it on upside.

Grabbed Britt as my WR4 in both MFL10s best ball drafts I've had so far at 8.09 and 9.08. Hard to beat that kind of upside in those rounds.

Yeah he's a moron. But an extraordinarily talented one. And the potential difference of 10s of millions of dollars on his next contract might sink into even Britt's walnut-sized dinosaur brain. WR4 price? Screaming buy.

Contract year, healthy plus uber talent. I fully expect a floor of top 20 even with locker.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

People said the same thing about Dez last offseason. IMO he is worth the risk and he hasnt even slapped his Momma.

And Marshall before him. And TO. And....

I am still skeptical about Britt, and I am buying into the "Dez Bryant has turned over a new leaf" story, so it is possible to believe one and not the other. The rap sheet for Britt is quite a bit longer and is more serious with Britt than the one for Dez IMHO, so I feel justified that there is more character risk with Britt than there is with Dez, and Britt was still recently evading the police on an investigation that they were looking to speak with him about:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/police-kenny-britt-still-declining-to-help-in-stabbing-investigation/

Police: Kenny Britt still declining to help in stabbing investigation

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT

For most of us, if we had to take a close friend to the hospital for treatment with a stab wound, we’d want to do anything we could to help the authorities help bring the person who stabbed him to justice. Apparently Titans receiver Kenny Britt is not like most of us.

A New Jersey police spokesman told the Tennessean on Friday that police still think Britt can provide them with information about the stabbing that took place last month, and Britt is still declining to do so.

Mr. Britt has ignored our request for a meeting to discuss additional questions the JCPD has pertaining to the investigation,’’ Police Captain Edgar Martinez said.

According to Britt’s attorney, Britt is not a suspect in either the stabbing or a shooting that took place in the same area later on the same night. But after police arrested a man for the stabbing of Britt’s friend 10 days ago, they said they believed Britt could help with the ongoing investigation. That is apparently help Britt is unwilling to provide.

I do agree that if you can secure Britt with a cheap price in terms of the investment that you sink into him with the draft round or auction dollars invested, that he could pay significant dividends. Just don't be shocked when his name shows up again on yet another arrest or incident where the police would like to speak with him.

Edited by Faust

Rotoworld:

Jake Locker says Kenny Britt has been "explosive" at OTA practices and "looks great."

Britt's 2012 explosion was sapped by two knee surgeries, but Locker says there have been no lingering issues with the knee. We'd feel better about Britt's breakout candidacy were the Titans' quarterback situation more statistically reliable. Britt could still be a value pick in the middle part of fantasy drafts.

I'll get him as a bench piece that I can plug in with high potential. I just don't feel that opportunity will arise for an WR4 though.

Those guys all worked hard at their crafts and their rehabs from injuries.

britt on the other hand, does not.

I have a feelin he turns into Charles Rogers.

Worth a flyer in Re-draft at current prices, but Tennessee has spent high picks at his position the last two seasons

Isnt this a contract year for Britt?

Worth a flyer in Re-draft at current prices, but Tennessee has spent high picks at his position the last two seasons

Those guys completely tore their knee apart, too?

Honestly, I'm seeing a lot of things said in this thread that already remind me of the Dez thread from last year. People searching for reasons to avoid the guy basically. I'm not as confident in Britt succeeding as I was in Bryant but ignoring his upside and writing him off due to character concerns is a huge mistake and you have an example of why from just last year staring you in the face.

At his current price he is worth a flier in dynasty as well. I know league mates of mine keep trying to sneak him into trade offers as a sort of throw in. No thanks.

Honestly, I'm seeing a lot of things said in this thread that already remind me of the Dez thread from last year. People searching for reasons to avoid the guy basically. I'm not as confident in Britt succeeding as I was in Bryant but ignoring his upside and writing him off due to character concerns is a huge mistake and you have an example of why from just last year staring you in the face.

At his current price he is worth a flier in dynasty as well. I know league mates of mine keep trying to sneak him into trade offers as a sort of throw in. No thanks.

Britt has massive upside but I don't see the Dez comparison myself. Dez made progress every year - top 20 WR his 2nd year and became a stud in his 3rd year. Britt is going into his 5th and while he's flashed signs of greatness he's yet to show any consistency.

Britt has massive upside but I don't see the Dez comparison myself. Dez made progress every year - top 20 WR his 2nd year and became a stud in his 3rd year. Britt is going into his 5th and while he's flashed signs of greatness he's yet to show any consistency.

True, I was really only making the comparison because I think it's silly to write either guy off for questionable character which is what seems to be happening. Furthering the point is that we're now deciding how a guy should play during his first season back from tearing two knee ligaments. Now there are reports Britt has been impressing in OTAs just like Bryant last year and they are being similarly ignored.

None of this guarantees anything of course, but take him off your draft/trade list at your own risk.