What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marcel Reece (1 Viewer)

prgromek

Footballguy
13 targets over the last two games...he's looking like a viable option in PPR leagues if you're hurting at RB. He should at least get you a handful of points.

any chance he carves out more of a role there in Oakland?

Should be playing an Aaron Hernandez like role for them.

Certainly lots to like here, so theres upside for sure.

Not convinced OAK will use him to his potential, but McKenzie seems like a smart guy so...maybe.

I'm buying.

I've had him on a dynasty squad but dropped him early this season. I like him but am concerned OAK won't really use him properly.

Also he's listed on MFL as a RB. In a non ppr it's tough to plug him in. Sproles is similar in terms of use on the team but without rushing attempts he's a boom or bust RB play in non ppr.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a nightmare matchup for defenses.

Unfortunately, our offensive coordinator is firmly opposed to putting his players in a position to succeed.

He's a nightmare matchup for defenses.Unfortunately, our offensive coordinator is firmly opposed to putting his players in a position to succeed.
Explain the first part of this to me. It's his 5th year in the league. Why is he a matchup nightmare?
Because he always gets covered by a LB, which always ends badly for the defense. He's a fullback in name only. He was a WR at the University of Washington. He has great hands and good speed. I just wish he was utilized more.

Pretty much just echoing the earlier posters. Reece caught my eye opening weekend on MNF in 2011. I don't get to see a lot of Raider game normally, but I was very impressed. Even the announcers pointed out how he is a converted WR from his college days. He went undrafted. Spent the time to add some extra weight and eventually moved to FB.

His end of year averages were outstanding. 6.6 yards per carry and 11.1 yards per reception. His only downside was lack of usage. Which is why I've hung on to him so long, thinking its only a matter time before the Raiders correct that. He signed a one year tender with Oakland and I hope he moves on after the season. The Raiders just don't seem overly interested in using him. They like him in the decoy role more than the production role.

But also as pointed out earlier, being slotted as a RB hurts his value. I think he is a great Dynasty stash if you have the room. Best case scenario is he signs with a new team in the offseason and gets moved to TE (not all that likely), but possible. He'd be a top 10 TE IMO.

Redraft, I just don't see it. If Byes are killing you, he has potential. He just isn't someone you'll keep on your roster all year.

Pretty much just echoing the earlier posters. Reece caught my eye opening weekend on MNF in 2011. I don't get to see a lot of Raider game normally, but I was very impressed. Even the announcers pointed out how he is a converted WR from his college days. He went undrafted. Spent the time to add some extra weight and eventually moved to FB. His end of year averages were outstanding. 6.6 yards per carry and 11.1 yards per reception. His only downside was lack of usage. Which is why I've hung on to him so long, thinking its only a matter time before the Raiders correct that. He signed a one year tender with Oakland and I hope he moves on after the season. The Raiders just don't seem overly interested in using him. They like him in the decoy role more than the production role. But also as pointed out earlier, being slotted as a RB hurts his value. I think he is a great Dynasty stash if you have the room. Best case scenario is he signs with a new team in the offseason and gets moved to TE (not all that likely), but possible. He'd be a top 10 TE IMO. Redraft, I just don't see it. If Byes are killing you, he has potential. He just isn't someone you'll keep on your roster all year.
:goodposting: I especially agree about the part about grabbing him if you are stuck in bye week hell. He's always a decent bet for a few catches and can be a nice stopgap in PPR leagues if desperate. But other than that, he's not a handcuff for DMC and very limited upside. It's a shame too, because he does so many things so well when he splits out of formation wide. LB's get caught with one foot stuck in cement when Reece bursts off the line. He is a matchup nightmare when used this way. Problem is the coaching staff only draws up a handful of plays that exploit his talents. He's a big guy with TE measureables and 4.4 speed and great hands. If the Raiders can't maximize his potential, I'm sure another team could.

He's a nightmare matchup for defenses.Unfortunately, our offensive coordinator is firmly opposed to putting his players in a position to succeed.
Explain the first part of this to me. It's his 5th year in the league. Why is he a matchup nightmare?
Because he always gets covered by a LB, which always ends badly for the defense. He's a fullback in name only. He was a WR at the University of Washington. He has great hands and good speed. I just wish he was utilized more.
Curious what kind of body type he has. Been playing FF for 17 years and have seen former WRs convert to TE, very few to RB, but think he is the only I can remember to go to fullback. Was he just poorly miscast at Washington? I ask, because Sproles this year has been a nail-biter since he garners so few carries (so you don't get the easy points). Can Reese actually rush the ball if need be?

Curious what kind of body type he has. Been playing FF for 17 years and have seen former WRs convert to TE, very few to RB, but think he is the only I can remember to go to fullback. Was he just poorly miscast at Washington? I ask, because Sproles this year has been a nail-biter since he garners so few carries (so you don't get the easy points). Can Reese actually rush the ball if need be?
6'1 255. He seems to do well when given the chance. I guess the questions are whether he will get carries with Dmac out or whether they give them to Jone or convert to heavy passing?

At that size, he would seem to be the default goal line back this week should they get down that close. They're certainly not looking at Jones for short yardage and goal line situations. This week he could be a really nice ppr play if the Raiders throw it around like we expect they will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say comparable to delanie walker, who's also a converted college WR. Reece has actually done well everytime he's been asked to run the ball 5+ times. However it's usually been out of the FB position. My guess is when they do run they will do so out of 2 back sets frequently with Jones at HB. For a bigger guy however, Reece has fantastic receiving skills. I"m very interested to see what he can do in volume.

I hope we see something soon. Neither Reece or Jones was picked up in my league last night and we have 14 teams. I guess no one is thinking they will produce much.

I hope we see something soon. Neither Reece or Jones was picked up in my league last night and we have 14 teams. I guess no one is thinking they will produce much.
Two reasons. First, though the Oakland offense is producing FF-wise this season, I think many FF owners just don't trust Oakland players outside of McFadden. Second, McFadden hasn't been ruled out yet (as far as I know as if this writing) so with waiver priority or auction dollars being at a premium this time of year, there's an understandable hesitation to pounce.As far as Jones, here's a write up at KFFL about him saying don't be quick to totally dismiss the guy's flyer potential.http://www.kffl.com/a.php/131962/fantasy-football/Taiwan-Jones-won-t-fade-from-Oakland-Raiders-race-with-Marcel-Reece

My waivers runs tonight. I don't expect to land him, but if I do I'll be dropping Goodson for him as I also have DMC. I'm hoping he slips by on the cheap because I'm just about out of FAAB budget anyway.

Reece is a must-add in PPR leagues with McFadden and Goodson not looking good this week and very likely beyond. But I'd prefer Taiwan Jones, I really like his talent, especially his speed and agility. I think Jones is the better add in a non-ppr league since he could see more carries/touches. Reece hasn't carried the ball much, it seems they really like him as a screen option as a fullback.

Reece is a must-add in PPR leagues with McFadden and Goodson not looking good this week and very likely beyond. But I'd prefer Taiwan Jones, I really like his talent, especially his speed and agility. I think Jones is the better add in a non-ppr league since he could see more carries/touches. Reece hasn't carried the ball much, it seems they really like him as a screen option as a fullback.
The problem with Jones is that he makes Fragile Felix look like Ray Rice. He's very talented, but is oft injured and it usually isn't minor nicks.

The problem with Jones is that he makes Fragile Felix look like Ray Rice. He's very talented, but is oft injured and it usually isn't minor nicks.
The bigger issue is the fumbling, which influences his PT. Can't block either so that influences his snaps. And then have you seen him get hit on open field tackles? You'd think he wieghed 98 lbs soaking wet. His body get contorted backwards at point of impact and coupled with his propensity for injury you have to hold your breath every time he gets jacked up. Greased lightning though if he can get to open space in the secondary.

The bigger issue is the fumbling, which influences his PT. Can't block either so that influences his snaps. And then have you seen him get hit on open field tackles? You'd think he wieghed 98 lbs soaking wet. His body get contorted backwards at point of impact and coupled with his propensity for injury you have to hold your breath every time he gets jacked up. Greased lightning though if he can get to open space in the secondary.
It's funny because coming into the season all I heard out of OAK was how Goodson brought his ball security issues with him from CAR. I never once heard the same concerns for Jones. Is this a relatively new occurrence? I'd have to imagine that it's a fixable issue.

Even if Jones does start you have to think Reece is a good bet to get at least 8-10 carries. Jones simply isn't built to get 20 rushing attempts. Plus Reece would seem to be the more logical choice for any goal-line looks if they occur. So if he can get 8-10 rushing attempts and 4+ receptions he could easily top double digits in PPR leagues this week. If the Raiders fall behind like they did against the Bucs his potential would go up since he could become a major option in the passing game like he was against the Bucs.

This is exactly how I felt everytime I saw Jones out there, he seems to leave himself open to getting absolutely lit up a lot. Jones may very well end up starting, but Reece will be the guy that plays more snaps.

Why do you guys think the Raiders are going to be smart about running the ball now? They attempted 1 rush after Goodson left the game. I think they force feed McFadden because he is an explosive back. I jsut can't see Jones having any Value at all. Reece is still a good play in a PPR league, but NOT because he is going to get carries.

Why do you guys think the Raiders are going to be smart about running the ball now? They attempted 1 rush after Goodson left the game.
I agree it's probably unwise to put a lot of confidence in the Raiders' coaching staff but it's likely they will at least make an attempt to run early. Whether that's with Jones, Reece or both remains to be seen. I agree Reece's primary value is in PPR leagues due to his receiving ability. I think he makes for a fine RB3 this week in that format.

:lol:Most livid memories of Taiwan were last preseason. Watching him try to run up the middle. He'd get jacked and fly backwards 5 yards in the air. His pass blocks attempts were comical.Taiwan tries to cut every run back (like something that'd work vs. the inferior competition he faced in college). Very surprised Oak didn't grab Ryan Grant or someone off the street. (Or haven't yet to my knowledge)

Can someone just give Marcel Reece some applause???

Somehow this guy gets sandwiched in as a TE, as a FB, as 4th string halfback and all he does is turn in the best running, passing, blocking performances for the Raiders every time he gets a chance.

Great Zeus, someone bring back the great American fullback and start right here.

He was awesome this week. Last minute I switched him out for Gore (who turned out to be alright) and he paid dividends. See my blog for more details.

However, he's probably back to his old 2 carries and 3 receptions this week, if Jennings and/or DMC come back, right?

I've always been impressed by Reece and the fact that he isn't utilized more, regardless of the backfield situation, is criminal. His 63 yard run was ####### awesome, great top end speed for 250+ pound 28 year old.

Rotoworld:

The Oakland Tribune expects Marcel Reece to "again recede into the background" with Rashad Jennings cleared from his concussion.
The Trib's Jerry McDonald is the second Raiders beat writer to expect Jennings to immediately assume a clear-cut lead back role in Week 15, despite Reece's 161-yard, one-score shredding of the Jets' formerly league-best run defense. "Whatever these coaches need me to do, whatever my team needs me to do, I'm going to do it," said ultimate team player Reece. Look for Reece to be Jennings' change-of-pace back this week against Kansas City.

Source: Oakland Tribune

I've always been impressed by Reece and the fact that he isn't utilized more, regardless of the backfield situation, is criminal. His 63 yard run was ####### awesome, great top end speed for 250+ pound 28 year old.
seriously. Every opportunity he has had has ended in great results. He destroyed the best run d in the league, yet the raiders are adamant about giving jennings the rock. What a joke

Raiders released FB Marcel Reece.
Suspended the first three weeks of the season for a PEDs violation, Reece was deemed unworthy of the remainder of his $2.6 million base salary by the Raiders. 31 years old, Reece has averaged 4.6 yards per carry and 9.8 yards per reception in his eight-year career. He should be able to latch on elsewhere as a swiss-army-knife contributor. Reece can also play special teams.

excited to see where lands

Users who are viewing this thread