What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jimmy Graham, CHI (2 Viewers)

togo

Footballguy
I've been searching and can't find a thing. Last we heard it sounded like a sprained ankle and he left the lockeroom in a walking boot but they were uncertain about the injury.

That was over a week ago. I'm hope we'll hear more starting today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a picture on Twitter that Jimmy Graham posted! https://twitter.com/TheJimmyGraham

"Just landed in Venice for some lunch on my way back down south. pic.twitter.com/X46cvjdD "

Take a look at his ankle, looks swollen to me, he has his shoes tied loose and has it up on a chair, remember it is HIS right.

This sucks if true. But I am already in cold sober belief mode. So moving on, 3 to 6 weeks, is there any value to Dave Thomas or the other Graham (Daniel)? Also, stated in the Lance Moore top 20? thread, but bears repeating. If Lance Moore is healthy, he gets a huge uptick going forward I think.

So moving on, 3 to 6 weeks, is there any value to Dave Thomas or the other Graham (Daniel)?
I'd value Dave Thomas highly in a fast food chain league, but can't see him doing much here. Same for Daniel Graham.As you mentioned, Moore probably gets a boost, as does Sproles.

And he went back in the game.

Maybe it is accurate, but I will wait to hear something official before being overly concerned.

And he went back in the game.Maybe it is accurate, but I will wait to hear something official before being overly concerned.
Wile he went back in', he was hardly effective. If its indeed a hi ankle sprain, I could see getting through a half as a decoy while on adrenalin. That's a far cry from being able to practice and then get into a game cold making the necessary cuts etc.

I wouldn't call him effective at all, but he moved on it a whole lot better than you see the vast majority of guys who have a high ankle sprain.

Funny thing was I just got a trade offer this morning, VJax and Nicks for Graham and SJax. I just accepted it, not taking any chances.

I'm curious who gets a bump with Graham out. Colston can't play better than he has and Moore has a hammy issue. I wouldn't expect one player to come out of no where, but more of a spread-the-ball to more people type strategy...? Maybe another target or two to Henderson, few more passes to Sproles maybe, a couple to the backup tight end.

I would think that the loss of Graham is a blow to the Saints offense overall, though.

I'm curious who gets a bump with Graham out. Colston can't play better than he has and Moore has a hammy issue. I wouldn't expect one player to come out of no where, but more of a spread-the-ball to more people type strategy...? Maybe another target or two to Henderson, few more passes to Sproles maybe, a couple to the backup tight end. I would think that the loss of Graham is a blow to the Saints offense overall, though.
PT Cruiser down?Think he sees an uptick in touches. Colston keeps on keepin' on. Gold.

I'm curious who gets a bump with Graham out. Colston can't play better than he has and Moore has a hammy issue. I wouldn't expect one player to come out of no where, but more of a spread-the-ball to more people type strategy...? Maybe another target or two to Henderson, few more passes to Sproles maybe, a couple to the backup tight end. I would think that the loss of Graham is a blow to the Saints offense overall, though.
Not really, someone will be getting the red zone targets and I think it will be Colston. The Saints will still be throwing a ton. Bump Moore and Henderson also.

And he went back in the game.Maybe it is accurate, but I will wait to hear something official before being overly concerned.
Wile he went back in', he was hardly effective. If its indeed a hi ankle sprain, I could see getting through a half as a decoy while on adrenalin. That's a far cry from being able to practice and then get into a game cold making the necessary cuts etc.
Yep. I'm not a freaksish professional athelete, but I sprained my ankle (not a HAS either) running about 6 weeks ago, I stupidly finished the last 2 miles of my run on it. It's just now feeling good enough to run on.(My point being, you can sustain a significant ankle sprain, and stay on it while you're still warm)

Yep. I'm not a freaksish professional athelete, but I sprained my ankle (not a HAS either) running about 6 weeks ago, I stupidly finished the last 2 miles of my run on it. It's just now feeling good enough to run on.(My point being, you can sustain a significant ankle sprain, and stay on it while you're still warm)
Between the adrenelin, being warm and stretched and not having swelling settle in, it's often the case that you can continue going on a sprained ankle for a bit, but once you stop you my not be going again for a while.

I still remember watching Deuce McAllister walk off Lambeau Field without even the slightest limp after getting hurt in a game. Next day it was announced he'd torn his ACL. You never would've guessed that watching him leave the field. I've long since stopped evaluating the severity of injuries based on whether players stay in the game or how they look on the sidelines etc. These guys typically have amazing pain thresholds.

I would honestly bump Sproles.

I would honestly bump Sproles.
I think in the Red Zone it's Colston and Sproles. Colston was targeted a ton against the Chargers with Graham hurt. Sproles would likely see his Red Zone chances increase as well. I'd give Thomas a small boost but I think the primary benefactors in the Red Zone would be Colston and Sproles.

Wrote last Monday that I thought a high ankle sprain was the most likely diagnosis and that a Week 7 return was no guarantee and recommended planning to hedge this week and beyond in last Wednesday's column.

The fact that Graham returned last week doesn't rule out a mid-grade high ankle sprain. 2-6 weeks is a reasonable expectation if that's the case. I think it's reasonable to argue (hope) that 2-4 is more likely than 4-6, however.

BUMP Reepicheep !!

Why are we assuming to bump any individual player? As much as Brees likes Graham, I'm kind of looking at it the other way and asking if it DOWNGRADES the Saints Offense, generally.

Why are we assuming to bump any individual player? As much as Brees likes Graham, I'm kind of looking at it the other way and asking if it DOWNGRADES the Saints Offense, generally.
Brees is still a hell of a QB and they have enough weapons to spread the field and score points. They are obviously better with Graham than without but I think they'll still have a very potent offense. Plus, Graham was such a red zone target that now those potential targets/tds' will have to go somewhere else so someone will get those looks. I'd say it's Colston since he's their best WR and is now healthy. He had 3 td's last week after Graham left and I don't think that was a coincidence.

Just offered up Graham & Maclin for Gronk & Garcon, and I think he's gonna take it based on our text conversation.

He acknowledge the "injury hush hush" surrounding Graham, so he is plenty aware. Feels like a great return. I was willing to go quite a bit cheaper to get out before any bad news came.

Edit: Done deal.

People have been complaining that the Saints aren't using Pierre Thomas enough in the running game, so this may be the time to try and lead a balanced attack on offense. Without a big TE threat like Graham, defenses will be focusing on stopping Colston.

Brees is a stud. He turned an offense consisting of a 7th round WR, project TE, & scat back into the best passing offense in football.

People have been complaining that the Saints aren't using Pierre Thomas enough in the running game, so this may be the time to try and lead a balanced attack on offense. Without a big TE threat like Graham, defenses will be focusing on stopping Colston.
the problem is that their defense is so horrible that even if they wanted to they could only stick to that script until the 2nd qtr when they are down 2+ td's.

I don't think the Saints are going to change their identity. They're a pass-first team. They won a Super Bowl without Graham as a pass-first team. Graham's obviously a stud but I think it'll take more than an injury to him for that to change.

the problem is that their defense is so horrible that even if they wanted to they could only stick to that script until the 2nd qtr when they are down 2+ td's.
True, their D is a mess. It wasn't like Graham was setting the world on fire before he got hurt this year.

True, their D is a mess. It wasn't like Graham was setting the world on fire before he got hurt this year.
TD in each of his first three games. 9-76 in the one game he didn't score. He may not have been going bonkers but if he's out that's going to be a huge kick in the n**s to his fantasy owners. You can pretty much put 12-15 points in your lineup each week in PPR as a Graham owner. Gonna be tough to find that at TE in many leagues. I had to replace Graham with Fleener this week for his bye and it was rather depressing seeing that massive drop-off in production. I knew it was coming obviously but it still sucked.

TD in each of his first three games. 9-76 in the one game he didn't score. He may not have been going bonkers but if he's out that's going to be a huge kick in the n**s to his fantasy owners. You can pretty much put 12-15 points in your lineup each week in PPR as a Graham owner. Gonna be tough to find that at TE in many leagues. I had to replace Graham with Fleener this week for his bye and it was rather depressing seeing that massive drop-off in production. I knew it was coming obviously but it still sucked.
from a fantasy / Graham owner POV it's obviously huge and he's reasonably replaceable. I think from an NFL / overall fantasy impact on the offense, he'll hurt the offense a bit but I just think Brees is too good and smart and they have a number of other weapons that will absorb his targets.

I agree the Saints can overcome his absence due to Brees and the number of weapons they'll still have.

I think he's irreplaceable from a fantasy perspective. Maybe there will be someone reasonably comparable in smaller leagues but I doubt you'll find anyone on the WW in most leagues who you can put down 12-15 or so points per week as their floor in PPR leagues. That's a huge blow for Graham owners if he's out.

I think he's irreplaceable from a fantasy perspective.
I don't know if I agree with this. Don't get me wrong. I valued him enough to take him with a late first round pick and it's a huge blow to lose a first rounder. But that was based on the assumption that he and Gronk were so much further ahead of all the rest of the TE's.But the TE position is very deep and most people have reasonably good TE's on their bench. The whole idea of drafting TE's early was I think faulty logic. I lucked out and drafted Rudolph in the 13th round as a flier and he's been outscoring Graham some weeks. I don't think I'll feel the pinch until his bye week. But there are plenty of TE's who can replace Graham, just not on the waiver wire.

But there are plenty of TE's who can replace Graham, just not on the waiver wire.
It depends on your league, of course. In mine, the best TEs available on the WW are Fleener and Joel Dreessen. Neither one of them comes close to Graham's floor. I'm assuming Rudolph is gone in all but the smallest of leagues. I'd be interested in who you think has a floor of 12-15 points per week in PPR who could be available? I'm screwed if Graham's out for an extended period. Hopefully other Graham owners have better chances to replace him but I'm toast at the position without him.

Users who are viewing this thread