What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

justin blackmon (1 Viewer)

lionsroar

Footballguy
Indications are that they really want to try to get the ball in his hands. The targets per game indicate a focus on him anyway. Hasn't scored yet this season. He is my "super-buy-low" going forward. Who is his competition at wide-out? Oppurtunity.

Coming off a BYE and playing the raiders i'd like to think he'd put up some decent PPR numbers this week. It is Gabbert though so who knows.

To me, Blackmon is fully wait and see. I was high on both him and Gabbert this year with dreams of a Dalton/Green part deux connection. God what a mess its been. Jax is a mess. Its a combination of lack of talent and poor coaching. Even the threat of MJD does nothing to get Gabbert to throw the ball to Blackmon.

I don't know if he has much value in redraft. Plenty of other options on the WW. Dynasty has obvious value but Gabbert is killing it every game. It would take a massive turn around for Gabbert or a new QB in there to bring Blackmon up for me. I ain't touching him otherwise.

i think he's a flex start this week. he's not going to be aj green, but should put in a few good games. the schedule looks good and the jags are definitely game planning to include blackmon. 10 and 8 targets the last 2 weeks.

He has a better schedule upcoming than what he's faced so far, that leaves room for upside and growth when you consider his targets compare to the other receivers on the team. Could be a nice player to buy cheap right now or even add if available in shallow leagues.

My gut says to roster him in every league. He was sitting on couple of my WWs but I couldn't make room. I feel like I'm going to end up regretting it starting this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gut says to roster him in every league. He was sitting on couple of my WWs but I couldn't make room. I feel like I'm going to end up regretting it starting this week.
Yep. Me too. I drafted him, dropped him, added him, dropped him, and just added him again. I also have a gut feeling he has a good game after all the talk about getting him involved, facing a terrible secondary, and coming off a bye week. Im also leaning on starting him as my flex over Donnie Avery this week (due to numerous bye week issues).

Considering dusting him off this week. If he is ever going to break out, this matchup seems as good a time as any.

The public would be better off pretending the Jaguars do not exist for fantasy purposes, sans MJD. There is nothing that is worth a roster spot for consistent productivity.

The issue with Blackmon is that he is like every other Big 12 WR that comes out in that those guys spend their entire career never facing press coverage. This is something I stumbled onto a number of weeks ago in an article that wasn't specifically about FF but it seems to have a good point. The point being that all the guys like Blackmon and Dez and Crabtree, etc basically spent their entire career with defenders giving them 9-10 yards off the ball. then they come to the NFL and get a reality check and take time to adjust. Last year, with the lockout, it was like a lost training camp, so that set these guys back further. Blackmon, this year, missed time, so he is essentially inthe same boat.

Once you see this and start looking at the guys that came before him, you can literally see the progresion. Crabtree finally started to get it it. You saw it in the games and now he's getting a lot more first reads.

Just a few weeks ago, i posted a similar thread here saying Dez was starting to show that same progression.

Blackmon simply isn't ready yet. Now, that's not saying that he can't pop up and have a game with a big play or more and have a fine fantasy game, but this year will not be a year where you can say "yeah, he's all he was advertised to be" and then you start him every week. I would much rather have a Nate washington type or Crabtree, easily.

And then, just for good measure, if you disagree with everything I just said, you still have to deal with the issues of Gabbert and a head coach that isn't the most creative vertical pass caller around.

We can start five WRs in my PPR league and I'm trotting Blackmon out as my WR5 this week. I have zero belief in Gabbert but the matchup is great and Blackmon's getting more and more involved. I'm hoping for 8-10 points. Anything above that would be a bonus in my eyes.

The targets are there. He is one of the more targeted WR's . Thats sonething i always look for. Why i keep him on my bench as a WR4 / bye week fill in. Hoping the production catches up with the targets. Worth a roster spot incase.

The public would be better off pretending the Jaguars do not exist for fantasy purposes, sans MJD. There is nothing that is worth a roster spot for consistent productivity.The issue with Blackmon is that he is like every other Big 12 WR that comes out in that those guys spend their entire career never facing press coverage. This is something I stumbled onto a number of weeks ago in an article that wasn't specifically about FF but it seems to have a good point. The point being that all the guys like Blackmon and Dez and Crabtree, etc basically spent their entire career with defenders giving them 9-10 yards off the ball. then they come to the NFL and get a reality check and take time to adjust. Last year, with the lockout, it was like a lost training camp, so that set these guys back further. Blackmon, this year, missed time, so he is essentially inthe same boat. Once you see this and start looking at the guys that came before him, you can literally see the progresion. Crabtree finally started to get it it. You saw it in the games and now he's getting a lot more first reads. Just a few weeks ago, i posted a similar thread here saying Dez was starting to show that same progression.Blackmon simply isn't ready yet. Now, that's not saying that he can't pop up and have a game with a big play or more and have a fine fantasy game, but this year will not be a year where you can say "yeah, he's all he was advertised to be" and then you start him every week. I would much rather have a Nate washington type or Crabtree, easily.And then, just for good measure, if you disagree with everything I just said, you still have to deal with the issues of Gabbert and a head coach that isn't the most creative vertical pass caller around.
This is interesting. You brought up 2 good examples in Dez and Crabtree, although Dez has done alright considering how stupid he is. But without digging, I've got to believe there are a lot of Big 12 WR's in the NFL and many of them doing well against press coverage.The point on Gabbert is valid. Sunshine looks like a failure in the NFL....or maybe the team he went to set him up to fail. I was thinking maybe this year it was going to click. So far so bad.

The public would be better off pretending the Jaguars do not exist for fantasy purposes, sans MJD. There is nothing that is worth a roster spot for consistent productivity.The issue with Blackmon is that he is like every other Big 12 WR that comes out in that those guys spend their entire career never facing press coverage. This is something I stumbled onto a number of weeks ago in an article that wasn't specifically about FF but it seems to have a good point. The point being that all the guys like Blackmon and Dez and Crabtree, etc basically spent their entire career with defenders giving them 9-10 yards off the ball. then they come to the NFL and get a reality check and take time to adjust. Last year, with the lockout, it was like a lost training camp, so that set these guys back further. Blackmon, this year, missed time, so he is essentially inthe same boat. Once you see this and start looking at the guys that came before him, you can literally see the progresion. Crabtree finally started to get it it. You saw it in the games and now he's getting a lot more first reads. Just a few weeks ago, i posted a similar thread here saying Dez was starting to show that same progression.Blackmon simply isn't ready yet. Now, that's not saying that he can't pop up and have a game with a big play or more and have a fine fantasy game, but this year will not be a year where you can say "yeah, he's all he was advertised to be" and then you start him every week. I would much rather have a Nate washington type or Crabtree, easily.And then, just for good measure, if you disagree with everything I just said, you still have to deal with the issues of Gabbert and a head coach that isn't the most creative vertical pass caller around.
This is interesting. You brought up 2 good examples in Dez and Crabtree, although Dez has done alright considering how stupid he is. But without digging, I've got to believe there are a lot of Big 12 WR's in the NFL and many of them doing well against press coverage.The point on Gabbert is valid. Sunshine looks like a failure in the NFL....or maybe the team he went to set him up to fail. I was thinking maybe this year it was going to click. So far so bad.
Yeah, the key in this, if you do go back and look at other Big 12 WRs is to look at the timelines of how long it generally takes them to get to being productive.

The targets are there. He is one of the more targeted WR's . Thats sonething i always look for. Why i keep him on my bench as a WR4 / bye week fill in. Hoping the production catches up with the targets. Worth a roster spot incase.
I won't bore you with all the numbers but his targets aren't all that great. Without comparing him to the obvious studs, I'll try to put it in a nutshell. He has 33 targets on the year. Devone Bess has 47, Hartline 53. A guy like Andre Johnson has 42. I mention him because general consensus is his LACK of targets has been hurting him, yet he has almost 10 more than Blackmon. So, relative to his team, yes he is being targeted, but as a general player in the NFL, he's not being targeted all that heavily.

I won't bore you with all the numbers but his targets aren't all that great. Without comparing him to the obvious studs, I'll try to put it in a nutshell. He has 33 targets on the year.
He has 18 targets in his last two games. That's a strong number. He is clearly getting more and more involved in what constitutes the Jacksonville passing game.

I won't bore you with all the numbers but his targets aren't all that great. Without comparing him to the obvious studs, I'll try to put it in a nutshell. He has 33 targets on the year.
He has 18 targets in his last two games. That's a strong number. He is clearly getting more and more involved in what constitutes the Jacksonville passing game.
Opinions vary, I suppose. For me, just my opinion, you have to put those things into perspective (for instance, the Jags were getting destroyed against the Bears and were looking to throw almost exclusively in the 2nd half of their game against the Bears).Overall, again, just my opinion, I think my first post and its point is the real factor, not so much the targets and any trend in them. And, the big issue is Gabbert. If the Jags as much as sniff a close game, do we really think he throws that much or do they rely on MJD when given a choice? Seems obvious to me.

I agree there's nothing exciting about the Jags' passing game. Gabbert is terrible. No doubt about it. But for those of us in deep leagues who have to dig deep at WR, Blackmon's an option this week given the terrific matchup and the fact his role in the passing game is clearly growing. Like I said, I'm hoping for 8-10 points in PPR for Blackmon this week, so it's not like I expect him to go off.

Jaguars want to feed the ball to Blackmon the way the Bears and Bengals feed their number 1

Draft News, Rookies October 10, 2012 by Damond Talbot

Today GM Gene Smith of the Jacksonville Jaguars said the team needs to feed Justin Blackmon the ball like the Bengals and Bears feed their No. 1 wideouts.

http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2012/10/17/3516550/justin-blackmon-fantasy-football-jaguars

Justin Blackmon could see his role increase after the Jacksonville Jaguars' Week 6 bye, the Florida Times-Union reports. The Jags are looking to spur an anemic passing attack. Blaine Gabbert is averaging a league-low 5.45 yards per pass attempt this season.

probably a good week to start OAK defense.....could be pick 6 city with all the talk about getting him the ball more and Gabbert being the one that has to do it.....OAK has probably read/heard these comments about getting him the ball more....some OAK DB's licking their chops about now....

The public would be better off pretending the Jaguars do not exist for fantasy purposes, sans MJD. There is nothing that is worth a roster spot for consistent productivity.

The issue with Blackmon is that he is like every other Big 12 WR that comes out in that those guys spend their entire career never facing press coverage. This is something I stumbled onto a number of weeks ago in an article that wasn't specifically about FF but it seems to have a good point. The point being that all the guys like Blackmon and Dez and Crabtree, etc basically spent their entire career with defenders giving them 9-10 yards off the ball. then they come to the NFL and get a reality check and take time to adjust. Last year, with the lockout, it was like a lost training camp, so that set these guys back further. Blackmon, this year, missed time, so he is essentially inthe same boat.

Once you see this and start looking at the guys that came before him, you can literally see the progresion. Crabtree finally started to get it it. You saw it in the games and now he's getting a lot more first reads.

Just a few weeks ago, i posted a similar thread here saying Dez was starting to show that same progression.

Blackmon simply isn't ready yet. Now, that's not saying that he can't pop up and have a game with a big play or more and have a fine fantasy game, but this year will not be a year where you can say "yeah, he's all he was advertised to be" and then you start him every week. I would much rather have a Nate washington type or Crabtree, easily.

And then, just for good measure, if you disagree with everything I just said, you still have to deal with the issues of Gabbert and a head coach that isn't the most creative vertical pass caller around.
Could you share that article? It sounds interesting.I went to CU back when we won the National Championship, used to work security on the sidelines so I had a unique and fantastic college football fan experience. Back then it was the Big Eight and ridiculously run oriented after the Barry Switzer Oklahoma dominance but Tom Osborne was still coaching and I got to stand next to him on the sidelines during one of the biggest games in CU's history when Colorado finally beat Nebraska and heard Tommy make the call to go for two that decided the game in the Buffalo's favor. Anyways. In 1996 it became the Big Twelve and that is when Baylor entered the conference.

I point out Baylor for two obvious reasons, Kendall Wright and Josh Gordon.

Oh and let us not forget Freddy Biletnikoff, former Universtity of Colorado Buffalo, whose non-de-plume is graces the award bestowed upon the best college WR every year.

I do agree that the history of Big-Eight/Twelve WRs is horrible and I'd like to see that article, sounds interesting but Wright and Gordon could change the bias against Big 12 conference WRs. Also now CU is Pac 12 but the bias against Big 12 WRs goes way back and any insight would be interesting to see.

Could you share that article? It sounds interesting.I went to CU back when we won the National Championship, used to work security on the sidelines so I had a unique and fantastic college football fan experience. Back then it was the Big Eight and ridiculously run oriented after the Barry Switzer Oklahoma dominance but Tom Osborne was still coaching and I got to stand next to him on the sidelines during one of the biggest games in CU's history when Colorado finally beat Nebraska and heard Tommy make the call to go for two that decided the game in the Buffalo's favor. Anyways. In 1996 it became the Big Twelve and that is when Baylor entered the conference.

I point out Baylor for two obvious reasons, Kendall Wright and Josh Gordon.

Oh and let us not forget Freddy Biletnikoff, former Universtity of Colorado Buffalo, whose non-de-plume is graces the award bestowed upon the best college WR every year.

I do agree that the history of Big-Eight/Twelve WRs is horrible and I'd like to see that article, sounds interesting but Wright and Gordon could change the bias against Big 12 conference WRs. Also now CU is Pac 12 but the bias against Big 12 WRs goes way back and any insight would be interesting to see.
Sure, I think I have the link on my iPad at home. I'll put it out there.

I think the current bias is any player that didn't come out of the SEC has something extra to prove at the next level. Any other conference is looking like Triple A compared to the SEC so for any player that didn't have to face those SEC defenses every week will have something of a stigma attached to them until they can prove otherwise.

I think the current bias is any player that didn't come out of the SEC has something extra to prove at the next level. Any other conference is looking like Triple A compared to the SEC so for any player that didn't have to face those SEC defenses every week will have something of a stigma attached to them until they can prove otherwise.
What? :bs:

Opinions vary, I suppose. For me, just my opinion, you have to put those things into perspective (for instance, the Jags were getting destroyed against the Bears and were looking to throw almost exclusively in the 2nd half of their game against the Bears).

Overall, again, just my opinion, I think my first post and its point is the real factor, not so much the targets and any trend in them. And, the big issue is Gabbert. If the Jags as much as sniff a close game, do we really think he throws that much or do they rely on MJD when given a choice? Seems obvious to me.
To put things further into perspective, I watched the game and Blackmon got a majority of his targets in the first half. The second half the Jags rarely even got the rock, and when they did, it was usually 3-and-out or a turnover.

If he gets nine targets (his average the last two weeks) Sunday against the Raiders, I don't care if they all come in one half.

If he gets nine targets (his average the last two weeks) Sunday against the Raiders, I don't care if they all come in one half.
:no: -If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 2nd quarter he's no good.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 3rd quarter he's just okay.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 4th quarter he's a must start.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 2nd and 3rd quarter he'll be bad but kind of good too.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 2nd and 4th quarter he will put up the greatest fantasy numbers ever by a WR.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 3rd and 4th quarter you should have benched him.YWIA

:no: -If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 2nd quarter he's no good.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 3rd quarter he's just okay.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 4th quarter he's a must start.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 2nd and 3rd quarter he'll be bad but kind of good too.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 2nd and 4th quarter he will put up the greatest fantasy numbers ever by a WR.-If he gets 9 targets only in the 3rd and 4th quarter you should have benched him.YWIA
If he gets nine targets and catches 4-5 passes he'll likely have gotten the floor of what I'm hoping to receive from him this week to get in all probability (assuming his receptions go for his season average of 9 yards per catch). I don't care when the targets come as long as the receptions are there. Again, all I'm hoping for is 8-10 points in PPR from him. If he goes 5-50-0 I'll take it. That's definitely doable given the matchup if he gets nine targets.

Is this serious? I can't tell

:no: -If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 2nd quarter he's no good.

-If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 3rd quarter he's just okay.

-If he gets 9 targets only in the 1st and 4th quarter he's a must start.

-If he gets 9 targets only in the 2nd and 3rd quarter he'll be bad but kind of good too.

-If he gets 9 targets only in the 2nd and 4th quarter he will put up the greatest fantasy numbers ever by a WR.

-If he gets 9 targets only in the 3rd and 4th quarter you should have benched him.

YWIA
Is this serious? I can't tell
It was an attempt to pay homage to The Jerk. Apparently I have failed. :(

He looked great in preseason. They were feeding him the ball and he was a RAC machine. The season started off very slowly, but he has been getting the targets and catches the last two weeks. The problem right now is that there isn't enough passing offense in Jacksonville to support anything more than a WR5. I mean look at Gabbert's pathetic yardage totals the last three weeks:

Of those yards, Blackmon has gotten

7 (4.5%)

48 (25.8%)

48 (33%)

The numbers are small, but percentages look impressive the last two weeks and are trending in the right direction. We also know that JAX is coming off a bye knowing they need to fix their offense since it is dead last in the league. They have also said they want to get Blackmon more involved. It's possible we could be looking at Steve Smith type situation from a few years ago when the passing offense was poor, but he got such a large percentage of it that he was fantasy relevant.

There is some hope to the situation IF JAX can figure out their offense. This week may be make or break for me. I certainly wouldn't drop him now.

He needs a new - and good QB. I think Jaguars have to draft someone else with their high pick. Admit you made a terrible mistake with Gabbart and move on.

I think a 13 catch, 236 yard game with 1 TD is worthy of a bump.

EDIT: Oops, 13 TARGET with 7 receptions but still 236 yards and a score for a rookie whose season high reception yardage mark was 67 is a pretty good breakout.

Whaa happened in this game?

F this guy. Hasn't even had a look in the first half.
tried to warn people it was fool's gold
hahaha. How do you like your crow cooked?
Whoa settle down, guy. 1 Game does not a career make.
I'm not talking about a career. I'm talking about you coming in at halftime with an "I told you so" post, and 200 yards and a TD later, you're having crow for dinner.
Dude... that post was almost a month old. This isn't a new thread, it's an old one. Bottom-line, folks have been saying Gabbert sux and if they get a better QB than Blackmon would be better as well.... Apparently Henne > Gabbert.

I'm not talking about a career. I'm talking about you coming in at halftime with an "I told you so" post, and 200 yards and a TD later, you're having crow for dinner.
Dude... that post was almost a month old. This isn't a new thread, it's an old one. Bottom-line, folks have been saying Gabbert sux and if they get a better QB than Blackmon would be better as well.... Apparently Henne > Gabbert.
DM is troll/maroon. Just ignore him.

DM is troll/maroon. Just ignore him.
The new schtick is to post in the wrong thread all day?I like it.

I benched him too in the only leagues where I have him. I don't feel the slightest bit of a remorse about it.

No way to see this coming. He was quiet last week and hadn't posted a 100+ yard game all season.

Just one of those out-of-nowhere games that happens.

I think he and Shorts will both benefit from Henne going forward though.

In a14-team league and have owned and dropped Blackmon this season. Is it worth spending my remaining free agent budget (about 25% of initial total) on him? I've been calling for Henne all season, and finally gave up and dropped Blackmon once I realized the Jags were committed to Gabbert.

Forgetting the fact that calling out someone to eat crow for a remark they made weeks ago (and was largely right in the time in between); if anything, this game might even make the point of Blackmon being fool's gold even stronger.Is he a waiver option? Yes.But would you trust him for solid FF production through your playoffs? Seems to me more a case of blind squirrel meeting nut.

Is Henne going to be the guy now? I read an article and all the coach said was he will look at the film.

Users who are viewing this thread