Dr. Awesome

Oakland A's thread

326 posts in this topic

Good to see Nakajima sign with the team. Hopefully he'll pan out and Russell will be ready for the majors as this contract comes to an end. Scouting reports have his defense as being less than ideal and probably better suited at second. But there aren't a lot of options so here's hoping he's decent. Also, that's one helluva leg kick he has. Good grief. Wonder if that's going to translate well. :unsure:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_3zgKA-UE

Ichiro says he is a good hitter and will play solid defense. We're good here.

The Athletics have signed manager Bob Melvin to a two-year contract extension, the team announced. The deal will keep the reigning AL Manager of the Year in Oakland through 2016.Melvin, 51, replaced Bob Geren as manager back in June 2011. The club has gone 141-120 under his watch, including a surprising 94-68 finish this past season. The rookie-laden Athletics won the AL West, overtaking the Rangers on the final day of the season.Melvin previously managed the Mariners (2003-04) and Diamondbacks (2005-09), winning the NL Manager of the Year award back in 2007. His lifetime record as a big league skipper is 634-628.

-MlbtraderumorsGlad to see him extended. Hoping they'll work out a deal for Parker soon enough.

Really strong off-season all the way around, given the obvious constraints we're all used to by now.

First crack at lineups:vs LHP1. Crisp - CF2. Young - LF3. Reddick - RF4. Cespedes - DH5. Carter - 1B6. Sizemore - 3B / Donaldson - 3B7. Nakajima - SS8. Weeks - 2B9. Norris - Cvs RHP1. Crisp - CF2. Moss - 1B3. Reddick - RF4. Cespedes - DH/LF5. Jaso - C6. Young - LF of Carter - DH7. Donaldson - 3B8. Nakajima - SS9. Sizemore - 2BSome notes:-With Young/Reddick/Crisp all + defenders, I think Cespedes is the worst defender out of the bunch. And given his hammy issues, best to save his legs as much as possible and limit him to hitting, with some spot duty in the OF here and there. Against righties, this team is loaded. I think Smith might see some time at DH, but he's going to get pinched a bit this year.-Getting Sizemore back and presumably healthy is going to be a nice boon to infield depth. He can push Weeks at one position, and Donaldson at the other. Can he defend well enough to stick at either? Or is he just a utility guy? Parrino's minor league stats are idiotic, but maybe best to get him regular AB's in the minors until he's ready for a starting spot. Or convert him to 2B?Concerns (excluding pitchers):-Jaso/Norris defense-Offensive production from 2B/3B/SS-Hitting lefties overall w/o Gomes.

Man, Yoenis with a year under his belt could be awesome

It would help if he could stay healthy

In Cuba, health stays you!

DH city. There's no other reason to play him in the OF, outside of injury or ego.And even if Crisp/Young/Reddick is out for a spell, Smith plays a pretty nice LF.There is a lot to be excited about re: this team.

First crack at lineups:vs LHP1. Crisp - CF2. Young - LF3. Reddick - RF4. Cespedes - DH5. Carter - 1B6. Sizemore - 3B / Donaldson - 3B7. Nakajima - SS8. Weeks - 2B9. Norris - Cvs RHP1. Crisp - CF2. Moss - 1B3. Reddick - RF4. Cespedes - DH/LF5. Jaso - C6. Young - LF of Carter - DH7. Donaldson - 3B8. Nakajima - SS9. Sizemore - 2BSome notes:-With Young/Reddick/Crisp all + defenders, I think Cespedes is the worst defender out of the bunch. And given his hammy issues, best to save his legs as much as possible and limit him to hitting, with some spot duty in the OF here and there. Against righties, this team is loaded. I think Smith might see some time at DH, but he's going to get pinched a bit this year.-Getting Sizemore back and presumably healthy is going to be a nice boon to infield depth. He can push Weeks at one position, and Donaldson at the other. Can he defend well enough to stick at either? Or is he just a utility guy? Parrino's minor league stats are idiotic, but maybe best to get him regular AB's in the minors until he's ready for a starting spot. Or convert him to 2B?Concerns (excluding pitchers):-Jaso/Norris defense-Offensive production from 2B/3B/SS-Hitting lefties overall w/o Gomes.

Fantastic posting, GPJ. Agree with you this was a strong offseason. I think Weeks will beat out Sizemore, but as long as one of them can actually hit this season we'll all be ecstatic. Definitely one of the biggest question marks this year. If Jemile will stop trying to hit home runs I could see him easily becoming a 270+ hitter. Thankfully there are a lot more right handed pitchers than southpaws. If Cespedes were okay with it I'd DH him most of the time. But I doubt he'd be cool with that. Smith will be pinched for playing time but injuries will surely happen and it's amazing to have that kind of bat just waiting to get plugged into the lineup.This team should definitely be a playoff contender. :thumbup:

Some reasons for optimism re: Weeks:1) Very good BB/K ratio. 9.8% BB vs. 13.7% K. His walks jumped way up from 2011.2) His BABIP was awful, despite a slightly better-than-average IFFB% rate (7.6%) and an insanely low infield hit rate of 4.3%. That's 117th out of 143 qualified batters on Fangraphs. Seems fluky.He does need to work on turning some of those grounders into line drives, but he doesn't seem to be as lost as one would think at first glance.

Some reasons for optimism re: Weeks:1) Very good BB/K ratio. 9.8% BB vs. 13.7% K. His walks jumped way up from 2011.2) His BABIP was awful, despite a slightly better-than-average IFFB% rate (7.6%) and an insanely low infield hit rate of 4.3%. That's 117th out of 143 qualified batters on Fangraphs. Seems fluky.He does need to work on turning some of those grounders into line drives, but he doesn't seem to be as lost as one would think at first glance.

:thumbup: I held onto this guy way too long last year waiting for his babip to start going up. :bag: Per Buster Olney, had the Justin Upton deal gone through to Seattle, John Jaso would have been moved to Oakland. Looks like Beane really wanted this guy.

Minor notes coming from FanFest today:Green is going to get a shot to compete at 2B.Michael Choice is expected to open at AAA, to nobody's surprise.Addison Russell (SS, 1st round pick 2012) is expected to get a camp invite. The front office loves him.There isn't going to be any set lineup, lots of platooning/moving guys around based on situation.

Minor notes coming from FanFest today:Green is going to get a shot to compete at 2B.Michael Choice is expected to open at AAA, to nobody's surprise.Addison Russell (SS, 1st round pick 2012) is expected to get a camp invite. The front office loves him.There isn't going to be any set lineup, lots of platooning/moving guys around based on situation.

:excited: Can't imagine Russell will open with the club even if he blows up this spring, but it may indicate they're willing to call him up this year. :thumbup: More competition for 2nd is good. Hope someone earns it and not by default. I worry about the defense though. Pennington couldn't hit but that glove really helped the pitchers.Choice is apparently going to play out his career in triple a. Edited by Dr. Awesome

:excited: Can't imagine Russell will open with the club even if he blows up this spring, but it may indicate they're willing to call him up this year. :thumbup: More competition for 2nd is good. Hope someone earns it and not by default. I worry about the defense though. Pennington couldn't hit but that glove really helped the pitchers.Choice is apparently going to play out his career in triple a.
Yeah, Russell's not coming up. I think it's more of a gesture than anything. But can't hurt to get him a taste before he heads off to Stockton.

*rips up paper*Addison Russell named #10 prospect overall on Keith Law's Top 100 list. The only Athletic on there. He may be ready by the time Lowrie hits the FA market. Edited by Good Posting Judge

Hate to see Carter go. Such a fun guy with a great attitude.

what are the chances Strailey is in the rotation breaking camp?

what are the chances Strailey is in the rotation breaking camp?

I'm thinking it's a camp battle between him and Griffin. Anderson, Milone, and Parker seem like locks. Fatolo also probably wasn't going to be brought back if he wasn't going to start. That leaves Griffin vs. Straily, personally I like Straily and would rather have Griffin as a swing guy.

A's close to a one-year deal with Okajima. He was great in the NPB last year.

A's open up with Anderson against Felix tonight. A's have lost 8 straight openers.

Lineup

Crisp

Jaso

Reddick

Cespedes

Lowrie

Moss

Donaldson

Smith

Sogard

Why is a homeless man playing RF for you guys?

"WILL SHAG FLY BALLS FOR FOOD"

Haven't you seen Moneyball? Beane is all about inefficiencies in the market, and he's feasting on the hobos while others are still shying away.

Haven't you seen Moneyball? Beane is all about inefficiencies in the market, and he's feasting on the hobos while others are still shying away.

Beane is loading up on Civil War re-enactors and will trade them at the end of June right before the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg

The A's are 6-2. Sizemore is done for the year.

Scott Sizemore has re-torn his left ACL and will miss the remainder of the 2013 season.

I can't believe Eric Sogard is starting at second. I have seen that guy play countless games at AAA didn't think he had what it took to get to the show. But good luck to him he is a nice guy.

Went to the AAA game over the weekend Weeks and Green both looked good.

So, is Straily somebody I should be stashing on my roster? How much longer will they let this guy rot in AAA?

The team really slumped not long ago but they're hot once more and within striking distance of the Rangers. If only the pitching would continue getting its act together this team could really go on a tear.

And wish they could move past Sogard already. Nice guy and all but let's upgrade. No clue who that could be though. Maybe Grant will be ready this year.

The team really slumped not long ago but they're hot once more and within striking distance of the Rangers. If only the pitching would continue getting its act together this team could really go on a tear.And wish they could move past Sogard already. Nice guy and all but let's upgrade. No clue who that could be though. Maybe Grant will be ready this year.

No doubt posted the same thing about Sogard back in April.

1 person likes this

Nice trade for Callaspo. His BB/K and LD% numbers are unholy this year, eventually his leaf is going to turn. And he's cheap this year and next. The only question will be how he handles 2B.

Balfour and Black Chris Young are gone. Colon wants to come back. Not a bad position to be in, most everyone's still relatively young/cheap.