Dr. Awesome

Oakland A's thread

326 posts in this topic

Brett Anderson could have his $8mm option picked up, and then traded to someone else. Slusser mentions the Jays as having some interest. Pretty big bummer that the A's can't find room for a guy with just a year left at 8 mil.

Major League Baseball would help the Oakland A's move across the bay and play at rival Giants' AT&T Park in San Francisco if Coliseum officials don't come to terms on a new short-term lease for the team, sources tell us. The A's two-year home stint at AT&T Park, which would start next season, would probably be the first step toward moving the team out of the Bay Area.

The league's hardball warning was passed on to Coliseum officials at a closed-door meeting by Jon Streeter, the San Francisco attorney who is representing the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority in the stadium lease negotiations.

We're told MLB is also demanding that the Coliseum give the A's just a two-year lease extension - not the five- to eight-year deal the authority has been pushing. The short-term lease would give the A's more flexibility should the team's owners swing a deal to move to San Jose - or beyond.

The sticking point in the Coliseum negotiations hasn't been the length of the lease so much as the money from food and beverage concessions. Under their old lease, the A's managed the concessions for all sporting events at the stadium, including for the Raiders, and they got a major share of the revenue - terms the Coliseum Authority wants to change in its favor.

The talks have dragged on for more than two years. Now, however, the Coliseum's governing board - which includes two Oakland City Council members and two Alameda County supervisors - is definitely feeling the heat.

"Now we have to do this lease quickly because Major League Baseball has injected itself into the conversations," said one board member, who like our other sources asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the talks.

There's no way that MLB will let them play in AT&T.

1 person likes this

Would be kind of funny to have day/night double headers with 4 teams involved.

Typically, they don't play home games at the same time, so they don't have to compete against each other. But it's nice to see MLB threaten to screw SF for once.

Typically, they don't play home games at the same time, so they don't have to compete against each other. But it's nice to see MLB threaten to screw SF for once.

They have 9 schedule conflicts in 2014.

This whole thing seems beyond implausible to me. It'll be easier for Bartolo Colon to pass through the eye of a needle than for the A's to play their home games at AT&T Park.

This whole thing seems beyond implausible to me. It'll be easier for Bartolo Colon to pass through the eye of a needle than for the A's to play their home games at AT&T Park.

Apparently a deal is close at hand, and MLB's threat may have worked? But yes, it wasn't going to happen. If MLB is willing to drag their feet this long on moving Oakland to a stadium that's 40 miles away from AT&T, they're not going to drop them in there next season. They're merely trying to back down the county, who are trying to get what they can from the A's before they fly the coop.

Obligatory: Fuck the Giants, #### Selig.

Apparently a deal is close at hand, and MLB's threat may have worked? But yes, it wasn't going to happen. If MLB is willing to drag their feet this long on moving Oakland to a stadium that's 40 miles away from AT&T, they're not going to drop them in there next season. They're merely trying to back down the county, who are trying to get what they can from the A's before they fly the coop.

Commemorative A's toilet plungers to the first 10,000 fans at the Mariners vs. A's game on April 14th.

Commemorative A's toilet plungers to the first 10,000 fans at the Mariners vs. A's game on April 14th.

You're a commemorative toilet plunger.

The Oaklands are pretty well positioned to stay competitive. They're losing Balfour and Colon as FAs but they've gotten better value from them than their next team will. Chris Young didn't work out but I still think he was worth a shot.

Choice appears ready and Addison Russell should only be a year away. Their system is always popping out decent arms, although Ynoa seems to be more promise than production so far.

Anaheim still has more money than pitching. The Mariners just hired Lloyd McClendon. Texas is still Texas but they have more question marks than in recent years.

Rays, Rockies, Angels, Yankees, Tigers are all interested in Balfour. Can't see the Rays getting him, my guess is Detroit or NYY. He was really good for Oakland, but there's just no way they can afford what somebody will be willing to pay him.

Kazmir for Oakland might make sense. I'd love to see them make a run at Haren, although I have a feeling they'll be muscled out for him as well.

Also...Phil Hughes intrigues me and seems like an ideal big park pitcher.

ETA: I mean not "ideal", but ideal when you don't have much money and you gotta find somebody cheap.

Edited by Good Posting Judge

Relievers are generally overrated. Beane will find a name or two that aren't higly thought of and get solid production. Rinse, repeat.

Hughes would be a great fit for Oakland. Possibly Fausto. Colby Lewis? Johan, Lilly, Tanaka, Harang?

Relievers are generally overrated. Beane will find a name or two that aren't higly thought of and get solid production. Rinse, repeat.

Hughes would be a great fit for Oakland. Possibly Fausto. Colby Lewis? Johan, Lilly, Tanaka, Harang?

Tanaka's posting fee is going to be a gazillion dollars. It's really just a matter of how much the Dodgers overpay for him right now.

Roberto/Fausto's also a good deal, as is Lewis.

A's want Nelson Cruz. I will make the shocking prediction that he will sign elsewhere.

A's want Nelson Cruz. I will make the shocking prediction that he will sign elsewhere.

Cruz is seeking a 4 year, 75 million dollar deal.

I read it this morning but I don't see it happening either.

the largest contract in A’s history is Eric Chavez’s six-year, $66 million deal.

I read it this morning but I don't see it happening either.

the largest contract in A’s history is Eric Chavez’s six-year, $66 million deal.

And that one didn't exactly turn out as planned.

The Oaklands had Cruz as a minor leaguer but traded him for Keith Ginter. Ginter hit .161/.234/.263 in his only season with the A's.

Cruz seems like a pretty un-moneyball to me.

The Oaklands had Cruz as a minor leaguer but traded him for Keith Ginter. Ginter hit .161/.234/.263 in his only season with the A's.

Cruz seems like a pretty un-moneyball to me.

To be fair, Ginter could hit quite a bit before Oakland traded for him and (eta: "then he") fell apart. And Oakland had the then-capable (seriously!) OF trio of Dye/Kotsay/Byrnes, with Swisher looming. Cruz was already showing promise, but Ginter could also hit quite a bit before going to the A's, and at the time Oakland had the corpse of Marco Scutaro (whatever happened to that guy?) at 2B.

Fare thee well, Fatolo.

2014 rotation:

1. Kazmir

2. Gray

3. Parker

4. Straily

5. Griffin/Milone

Not bad for such a crummy payroll. A's still need another OF/DH bat, and maybe another reliever?

Edited by Good Posting Judge

This has been a very unBeanelike 24 hours

This has been a very unBeanelike 24 hours

The Johnson trade is the only real shocker, IMO.

Craig Gentry has the best UZR for a CF in the history of UZR, min. 1000 IP.

Beane is reportedly close to making another deal that doesn't involve Anderson. He's also shopping Anderson. Somebody switch this guy to decaf.

Smith's struggled a bit over the last two years and obviously hasn't played every day, but he still has value against righties. Not an earth-shaking deal, given that both players will be FA's in a year, nor will either make very much.

Craig Gentry's WAR was 4x higher than Jim Johnson's last year. Jim Johnson is projected to make 10x more money in arbitration than Gentry this year.

A's tendered Barton as 1B, insurance, btw. He can't hit lefties at all and righties only for average, but his fielding might keep Moss at DH, where he's best suited.

Also came to terms with Fernando Rodriguez, who came over in the Lowrie trade and missed this year with UCL surgery. 1/680K.

Lindblom (who came over with Gentry) is going to remain a starter, and will almost assuredly open 2014 in the minors.

Brett Anderson is the last big domino to fall...we assume.

So what's the general feeling of the moves the A's made this past week? I follow the A's but not the other teams in the Show. The local media all seem to like the moves, which scares me.... so wondering on what you guys think.

Edited by No. 16

So what's the general feeling of the moves the A's made this past week? I follow the A's but not the other teams in the Show. The local media all seem to like the moves, which scares me.... so wondering on what you guys think.

I think Oakland fans should be pretty happy. Not seeing anything of significance they gave up. They improved their team. Only complaint might be if you wish they spent the money on something different, but that seems to be the only serious argument. A lot depends on the health of Kazmir, but have to think they'll be a better team than last year.

I think Oakland fans should be pretty happy. Not seeing anything of significance they gave up. They improved their team. Only complaint might be if you wish they spent the money on something different, but that seems to be the only serious argument. A lot depends on the health of Kazmir, but have to think they'll be a better team than last year.

Overall, I like the moves. Kazmir, along with Haren, are the best values on the FA pitching market IMO. If you're going to give Colon 1-2 years,why not give a superior pitcher who is 30 two years?

Gregerson was a straight up steal, I think. Smith was fairly expendable.

Gentry for Choice was really interesting, but clearly Oakland's looking at Gentry's blindingly good defensive numbers. Choice could back to burn Oakland, but he hasn't hit for power in two years. Still, I like that Oakland took the sure thing, and I think Texas vastly underrated him.

The Johnson one I like the least, just because of the money he's going to command. Weeks doesn't seem to be that much of a loss, but Johnson seems like he's going to be overpaid if he gets near 10 mil.

Overall, I like the moves. Kazmir, along with Haren, are the best values on the FA pitching market IMO. If you're going to give Colon 1-2 years,why not give a superior pitcher who is 30 two years?

Gregerson was a straight up steal, I think. Smith was fairly expendable.

Gentry for Choice was really interesting, but clearly Oakland's looking at Gentry's blindingly good defensive numbers. Choice could back to burn Oakland, but he hasn't hit for power in two years. Still, I like that Oakland took the sure thing, and I think Texas vastly underrated him.

The Johnson one I like the least, just because of the money he's going to command. Weeks doesn't seem to be that much of a loss, but Johnson seems like he's going to be overpaid if he gets near 10 mil.

Sounds good. The thing that's killed the A's IMO is they're a great regular season team because they have a bunch of average to above average starters, a great bullpen, and solid depth with the position players, but they don't have two stud pitchers that are locks to win games in the post-season. Hopefully, Kazmir and an improved Sonny Gray can remedy that.

Fearless prediction: Cespedes is getting moved in the next week.

Pomeranz apparently caught Oakland's eye with his relief work at the end of the year (5 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 6 K), so it looks like he may be joining Doolittle and Abad as the bullpen lefties. Fare thee well, Jerry Blevins.

If the Mariners deem Smoak expendable with the additions of Hart and Morrison, he'd be a pretty good fit for Oakland as a 1B/DH. Can't hit lefties, but Gentry can play against left-handers, moving Reddick or Yoenis to DH.

Corey Brown re-acquired from our brothers from another mother for cash. He doesn't seem completely useless, if only as an org. depth/fill-in guy.