Dr. Awesome

Oakland A's thread

326 posts in this topic

Long-time A's fan, but stopped following them the past couple of seasons.  Is the Wolff news good or bad, from a fan's perspective?

It's not a huge change since the same ownership group remains intact but hopefully Fisher is a more successful point man in getting an Oakland stadium deal done.  Wolff was always controversial because he so obviously wanted to leverage his A's position into sweetheart real estate development deals. 

Waiting for gratuitous GPJ reference to San Jose territorial rights in 10...9...8... 

On 11/17/2016 at 4:04 PM, Eephus said:

It's not a huge change since the same ownership group remains intact but hopefully Fisher is a more successful point man in getting an Oakland stadium deal done.  Wolff was always controversial because he so obviously wanted to leverage his A's position into sweetheart real estate development deals. 

Waiting for gratuitous GPJ reference to San Jose territorial rights in 10...9...8... 

The new point guy is David Kaval.

I think Wolff saw the A's as a good business opportunity vis-a-vis getting a new stadium built and increasing the value of the team. It clearly didn't work. He claims that simply age was a big factor in having him step down, it might just be that the idea of leaving Oakland is dead. 

He tried his damndest to get a new stadium, and, even if his intentions weren't completely baseball-pure, pretty clearly it's time for Oakland to move. I think the town's economic revitalization makes a downtown/waterfront park a lot more palatable, but a site is still tricky, and getting the city/county to spring for any of it will also be tricky.

Maybe Kaval's a better guy for that job, I don't know. Wolff caught a lot of #### as owner, some justified, some not, some I'm not sure. Kawakami, fwiw, thinks it means that the A's will be more competitive/well-staffed, which would be good for the fan, obviously.

A Raiders move helps the A's, right?

17 hours ago, Eephus said:

A Raiders move helps the A's, right?

It definitely does not hurt, although I think the A's were always more likely to be able to meet the city halfway and get some funding or tax breaks. There's just no way the city could ever match what "Vegas" is offering, or LA.

I just watched the MLB Network special about the Oakland A's of the 1970's. Quite interesting. I knew most of the basic elements of the story, but a lot of details got filled in. The first thing that stood out was  how obvious the animosity towards Finley from the players has not abated, not forty-five years since those days, or the twenty years since Finley's death. Bando, Blue and especially Holtzman are still seething.

Finley during the arbitration hearings for Blue/Holtzman: the only reason they have so many wins is because the team has the majors best closer in Rollie Fingers.

Finley during the arbitration hearings for Fingers: the only reason he has so many saves is because the team has two top starters in Blue/Holtzman. 

Fingers made a good point about what might have been a fourth championship in 1976. After Bowie Kuhn negated the fire sale trades, and forced the players back, Finley refused to play them, only relenting when the team threatened a strike. They still only lost the division to KC by two games. If Rudi, Blue and Fingers were in the lineup for those ten days, things might have been different. 

1 person likes this