What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oakland A's thread (1 Viewer)

The Oaklands had Cruz as a minor leaguer but traded him for Keith Ginter. Ginter hit .161/.234/.263 in his only season with the A's.

Cruz seems like a pretty un-moneyball to me.
To be fair, Ginter could hit quite a bit before Oakland traded for him and (eta: "then he") fell apart. And Oakland had the then-capable (seriously!) OF trio of Dye/Kotsay/Byrnes, with Swisher looming. Cruz was already showing promise, but Ginter could also hit quite a bit before going to the A's, and at the time Oakland had the corpse of Marco Scutaro (whatever happened to that guy?) at 2B.

Fare thee well, Fatolo.

2014 rotation:

1. Kazmir

2. Gray

3. Parker

4. Straily

5. Griffin/Milone

Not bad for such a crummy payroll. A's still need another OF/DH bat, and maybe another reliever?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beane is reportedly close to making another deal that doesn't involve Anderson. He's also shopping Anderson. Somebody switch this guy to decaf.

Smith's struggled a bit over the last two years and obviously hasn't played every day, but he still has value against righties. Not an earth-shaking deal, given that both players will be FA's in a year, nor will either make very much.

Craig Gentry's WAR was 4x higher than Jim Johnson's last year. Jim Johnson is projected to make 10x more money in arbitration than Gentry this year.

A's tendered Barton as 1B, insurance, btw. He can't hit lefties at all and righties only for average, but his fielding might keep Moss at DH, where he's best suited.

Also came to terms with Fernando Rodriguez, who came over in the Lowrie trade and missed this year with UCL surgery. 1/680K.

Lindblom (who came over with Gentry) is going to remain a starter, and will almost assuredly open 2014 in the minors.

Brett Anderson is the last big domino to fall...we assume.

So what's the general feeling of the moves the A's made this past week? I follow the A's but not the other teams in the Show. The local media all seem to like the moves, which scares me.... so wondering on what you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the general feeling of the moves the A's made this past week? I follow the A's but not the other teams in the Show. The local media all seem to like the moves, which scares me.... so wondering on what you guys think.
I think Oakland fans should be pretty happy. Not seeing anything of significance they gave up. They improved their team. Only complaint might be if you wish they spent the money on something different, but that seems to be the only serious argument. A lot depends on the health of Kazmir, but have to think they'll be a better team than last year.

I think Oakland fans should be pretty happy. Not seeing anything of significance they gave up. They improved their team. Only complaint might be if you wish they spent the money on something different, but that seems to be the only serious argument. A lot depends on the health of Kazmir, but have to think they'll be a better team than last year.
Overall, I like the moves. Kazmir, along with Haren, are the best values on the FA pitching market IMO. If you're going to give Colon 1-2 years,why not give a superior pitcher who is 30 two years?

Gregerson was a straight up steal, I think. Smith was fairly expendable.

Gentry for Choice was really interesting, but clearly Oakland's looking at Gentry's blindingly good defensive numbers. Choice could back to burn Oakland, but he hasn't hit for power in two years. Still, I like that Oakland took the sure thing, and I think Texas vastly underrated him.

The Johnson one I like the least, just because of the money he's going to command. Weeks doesn't seem to be that much of a loss, but Johnson seems like he's going to be overpaid if he gets near 10 mil.

Overall, I like the moves. Kazmir, along with Haren, are the best values on the FA pitching market IMO. If you're going to give Colon 1-2 years,why not give a superior pitcher who is 30 two years?

Gregerson was a straight up steal, I think. Smith was fairly expendable.

Gentry for Choice was really interesting, but clearly Oakland's looking at Gentry's blindingly good defensive numbers. Choice could back to burn Oakland, but he hasn't hit for power in two years. Still, I like that Oakland took the sure thing, and I think Texas vastly underrated him.

The Johnson one I like the least, just because of the money he's going to command. Weeks doesn't seem to be that much of a loss, but Johnson seems like he's going to be overpaid if he gets near 10 mil.
Sounds good. The thing that's killed the A's IMO is they're a great regular season team because they have a bunch of average to above average starters, a great bullpen, and solid depth with the position players, but they don't have two stud pitchers that are locks to win games in the post-season. Hopefully, Kazmir and an improved Sonny Gray can remedy that.

Pomeranz apparently caught Oakland's eye with his relief work at the end of the year (5 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 6 K), so it looks like he may be joining Doolittle and Abad as the bullpen lefties. Fare thee well, Jerry Blevins.

If the Mariners deem Smoak expendable with the additions of Hart and Morrison, he'd be a pretty good fit for Oakland as a 1B/DH. Can't hit lefties, but Gentry can play against left-handers, moving Reddick or Yoenis to DH.

Eephus said:
dwashington said:
Anyone worried about Josh Donaldson's slow start at the plate?
Buy low
Thanks. I haven't seen any of the games, I can just go by the box scores.

It's still very early, but some of the early draft pundits had warnings that his breakout last year was not sustainable.

Eephus said:
dwashington said:
Buy low
Thanks. I haven't seen any of the games, I can just go by the box scores.

It's still very early, but some of the early draft pundits had warnings that his breakout last year was not sustainable.
His 2013 BABIP isn't sustainable. I don't expect a repeat of a MVP caliber year but his performance so far in 2014 is within bounds of the small sample size.

Buy low
Thanks. I haven't seen any of the games, I can just go by the box scores.It's still very early, but some of the early draft pundits had warnings that his breakout last year was not sustainable.
His 2013 BABIP isn't sustainable. I don't expect a repeat of a MVP caliber year but his performance so far in 2014 is within bounds of the small sample size.
Donaldson has been killing the ball lately.

Lew Wolff, co-owner of the Oakland Athletics, said Wednesday that the team is "close" to signing a 10-year lease to play at O.co Coliseum. Wolff's comments came during an interview with a business TV channel in New York."We're close enough on the deal points that I think soon we'll come to a mutual accommodation," he said on Bloomberg's "Market Markers" show.

When asked when the deal would be final, Wolff said, "Next couple weeks, I hope. ... The people we're dealing with now are very intelligent and working with us."

Guys, I'm just your run-of-the-mill average Orioles fan, but that whole turn of events was such a disgrace that I feel the need to pop in here an apologize.

I sincerely hope MLB takes the appropriate action and suspends him multiple games. The Orioles really are a class organization and I will be stunned and disappointed if anyone comes to Machado's defense.

Oakland A's. Come for our catcher hitting lead-off, stay for said catcher being replaced by a mountainous first basemen hitting lead off.

The jump Donaldson has made from AAA to the bigs the last few years has been awesome.

Watching him in the minors I didnt think he would make this big of jump this fast.

Users who are viewing this thread