What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 8 Waiver Wire Pickups (1 Viewer)

LaRod Stephens-Howling if he wasn't grabbed along with Powell after week 5.

Chris Cooley? Fred Davis is gone for the year with an Achilles injury. Apparently the 'skins already have come close to re-signing Cooley before.

Vincent Brown who could play by Wk 9

Matt Bryant if he was dropped due to the bye

James Starks. Alex Green ran 20 times for only 35 yards, so he's not cementing his hold on the starting job. However, Starks had no touches today.

Cecil Shorts. Has a TD today. Great production this year in limited opportunity.

Rashad Jennings if MJD's ankle injury is significant.

Edited to add possibly Chad Henne if in a 2-QB league since Gabbert has a left shoulder injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Freeman - 420 yards today and he's got 2 really good WRs
But they don't play the Saints every week. If Flacco is your QB1 I could see it.
he threw for 330 3TDs last week against the Chiefs who had a good pass D up until that point???
Chiefs have been pretty kind to pass defenses as well. But Freeman still has a decent schedule ahead so I expect him to keep up the good numbers and the hot streak. He and his WR's will be perfect sell high players in a 2-3 weeks.

But they don't play the Saints every week. If Flacco is your QB1 I could see it.
he threw for 330 3TDs last week against the Chiefs who had a good pass D up until that point???
Chiefs have been pretty kind to pass defenses as well. But Freeman still has a decent schedule ahead so I expect him to keep up the good numbers and the hot streak. He and his WR's will be perfect sell high players in a 2-3 weeks.
Not sure what you mean. Even after Freeman's big day, Chiefs are still 13th in league giving up 224.5 yds a game. They were top 5 going into that week I believe or close to it. Brees threw for 240 against them

Not sure what you mean. Even after Freeman's big day, Chiefs are still 13th in league giving up 224.5 yds a game. They were top 5 going into that week I believe or close to it. Brees threw for 240 against them
They have allowed 18.5 points per game to QB's(Standard ESPN scoring), which is 8th highest.

They have allowed 18.5 points per game to QB's(Standard ESPN scoring), which is 8th highest.
After Freeman's monster game. What QB had a better game against them then Freeman did? Nobody...not Ryan, Brees, Rivers, etc...How many points did Freeman contribute to that average?

After Freeman's monster game. What QB had a better game against them then Freeman did? Nobody...not Ryan, Brees, Rivers, etc...How many points did Freeman contribute to that average?
23 points, take that away and it;s still a decent 17.6 points. Flacco's 26 pass attempts(and 6 points) and the Ravens conservative game plan the game before brought that average down. All I'm saying is that I don't believe Freeman will be a reliable weekly QB from here on out. I'd jump off the wagon after week 11 against the Panthers. He and his WR's should be very solid over the next 4 games, after that I expect a decent drop-off with all 3's production similar to what they were doing before the bye week.

Chris Cooley? Fred Davis is gone for the year with an Achilles injury. Apparently the 'skins already have come close to re-signing Cooley before.
As a Fred Davis owner myself, I am going to be among the group of owners scouring the waiver wire this week. I always liked Cooley, but even if Washington were to bring him back, I doubt he could be trusted any time soon. Dustin Keller is showing some promise in the first half of the Week 7 game. Rob Housler might be worth a look. Dallas Clark finally showed something, but I would not count on that continuing. Fasano and Dreesen are available in many leagues. Slim pickings at TE, but it's not as if Davis was lighting it up himself.

Josh Freeman's schedule is incredibly easy for the rest of the season. As a Romo/Flacco owner I'm taking my chances with him.

23 points, take that away and it;s still a decent 17.6 points. Flacco's 26 pass attempts(and 6 points) and the Ravens conservative game plan the game before brought that average down. All I'm saying is that I don't believe Freeman will be a reliable weekly QB from here on out. I'd jump off the wagon after week 11 against the Panthers. He and his WR's should be very solid over the next 4 games, after that I expect a decent drop-off with all 3's production similar to what they were doing before the bye week.
you really never know, so you could be right. but to me it seems like a 4th year QB who has finally turned the corner. I'm bias because I own him in 2 dynasty leagues, but I really think the light has gone on. I watched him a lot today, and he looked 100% different then he did 3 weeks ago

you really never know, so you could be right. but to me it seems like a 4th year QB who has finally turned the corner. I'm bias because I own him in 2 dynasty leagues, but I really think the light has gone on. I watched him a lot today, and he looked 100% different then he did 3 weeks ago
I agree, he does look much more confident which is obviously very important for a QB. His overall QB awareness and accuracy at times has been the issue, if he can continue to play like this then the opposing defense won't matter. I'm not entirely sold yet, but I can't argue that he's playing better than most QB's right now.

I liked Starks as much as the next guy, but for those saying to pick him up...just stop. Green is the GB RB for the foreseeable future in an offense that emphasizes the pass. The end. Starks just hasn't seen the field and Green hasn't done anything to lose the job. He's picked up the blitz decent enough, he's caught the ball out of the backfield and he's ran ok. I'm not in love with the guy, and I hope the Packers pick up a real #1 RB this next draft, but I don't think Starks is going to be back as the #1 GB RB (barring injury).

Stephens-Howling, if he's available, seems like the one RB to pick up this week.

I liked Starks as much as the next guy, but for those saying to pick him up...just stop. Green is the GB RB for the foreseeable future in an offense that emphasizes the pass. The end. Starks just hasn't seen the field and Green hasn't done anything to lose the job. He's picked up the blitz decent enough, he's caught the ball out of the backfield and he's ran ok. I'm not in love with the guy, and I hope the Packers pick up a real #1 RB this next draft, but I don't think Starks is going to be back as the #1 GB RB (barring injury).Stephens-Howling, if he's available, seems like the one RB to pick up this week.
LSH looked good today, and capitalized on Powell's early benching. I still worry about how that shakes out going forward. Jennings looks like he might be the better pickup, if MJD is to be out for any time.

Anyone else impressed that LaRod did 104 yards against Minnesota versus Rashad who just did 44 against the Raiders?
LaRod probably worked with the first team all week, Jennings did not. Not a big deal, but is a factor.
Actually, Jennings had 102 total yards (44 rush and 58 receiving) and a touchdown...so not sure if only the rushing yardage should be looked at. That said LaRod had 45 yards on four receptions.

Anyone else impressed that LaRod did 104 yards against Minnesota versus Rashad who just did 44 against the Raiders?
LaRod probably worked with the first team all week, Jennings did not. Not a big deal, but is a factor.
Actually, Jennings had 102 total yards (44 rush and 58 receiving) and a touchdown...so not sure if only the rushing yardage should be looked at. That said LaRod had 45 yards on four receptions.
one played the Raiders and the other played Minn.

one played the Raiders and the other played Minn.
I clued into that part of the post afterwards.

Is this the WW thread or Sunday night potpourri?

Couple TEs:

Keller looks like a good pickup in redraft, should be solid ROS. Brandon Myers doesn't seem to get RZ looks but he's a PPR machine.

Depending on MJD's injury, it might be time to use my #1 waiver on R. Jennings.

Dwyer is likely a one and done right? Is Mendy coming back next week?

Depending on MJD's injury, it might be time to use my #1 waiver on R. Jennings.Dwyer is likely a one and done right? Is Mendy coming back next week?
I don't think we know until practice reports later this week, but I would think Mendy keeps his job. Still only 25, 3 straight 1K yard seasons, and looked good in his debut game.Jennings could put up some good numbers the next few weeks.

LaRod Stephens-Howling if he wasn't grabbed along with Powell after week 5.

Vincent Brown who could play by Wk 9

Matt Bryant if he was dropped due to the bye

James Starks. Alex Green ran 20 times for only 35 yards, so he's not cementing his hold on the starting job. However, Starks had no touches today.

Cecil Shorts. Has a TD today. Great production this year in limited opportunity.

Rashad Jennings if MJD's ankle injury is significant.

Edited to add possibly Chad Henne if in a 2-QB league since Gabbert has a left shoulder injury.
Cooley has already re-signed with Washington.
I liked Starks as much as the next guy, but for those saying to pick him up...just stop. Green is the GB RB for the foreseeable future in an offense that emphasizes the pass. The end. Starks just hasn't seen the field and Green hasn't done anything to lose the job. He's picked up the blitz decent enough, he's caught the ball out of the backfield and he's ran ok. I'm not in love with the guy, and I hope the Packers pick up a real #1 RB this next draft, but I don't think Starks is going to be back as the #1 GB RB (barring injury).

Stephens-Howling, if he's available, seems like the one RB to pick up this week.
Why stop? Soon after Ryan Williams took over the AZ starting job here in the Pool there was discussion about grabbing Powell and Stephens-Howling and that turned out to be prescient. In fact, I grabbed Powell early because of such discussion. No one's disputing that what you said applies at the moment, but it would be negligent to not keep tabs on the situation in Green Bay. Running backs are at a premium this year, especially right now with bye weeks taking place and injuries mounting, so it might be Sharky to at least watch list Starks, if not grab him in a deep league or if you have a long bench.

Santana Moss, someone's going to be catching RG3's passes.
this. With Garcon's torn tendon (he'll be out for awhile), opportunity just opened up for an old name from the past. Hankerson, Robinson aren't getting it done. With Cooley back, it's going to look like the old school Redskins. I'll be targeting Moss at the top of waiver priority this week.

Santana Moss, someone's going to be catching RG3's passes.
this. With Garcon's torn tendon (he'll be out for awhile), opportunity just opened up for an old name from the past. Hankerson, Robinson aren't getting it done. With Cooley back, it's going to look like the old school Redskins. I'll be targeting Moss at the top of waiver priority this week.
Agree on the Santana Moss selection.

Ballard back on the radar if owners who picked him up after Brown injury dropped him after horrible stats last week. Played well yesterday strictly from fantasy perspective and faces Tennessee next, a bad run defense, that alone puts him high on the list for bye week fill. Definitely not a long term prospect.

Re: Jennings

The post above said "Running backs are at a premium this year, especially right now with bye weeks taking place and injuries mounting,".

I agree. I am in a 14 team league and RB's are at such a premium that with the week 7 bye week and injuries, one of the owners dropped DeSean Jackson to pick up a waiver wire RB to start.

So for my flex, I'm deciding do I go after Jennings as a 2-4 week RB of consistent points or DeSean who has hot and cold games: 7 11 4 15 5 7 DeSean is targeted 9 times a game typically.

Jennings runs against Packers, Lions , Colts, Texans, the next 4 games, the Jaguars may be playing from behind in almost all of them.

Jennings may get Run stats in the first quarter and then many short passes or draws.

But a starter RB is a starter RB................

Re: JenningsThe post above said "Running backs are at a premium this year, especially right now with bye weeks taking place and injuries mounting,".I agree. I am in a 14 team league and RB's are at such a premium that with the week 7 bye week and injuries, one of the owners dropped DeSean Jackson to pick up a waiver wire RB to start.So for my flex, I'm deciding do I go after Jennings as a 2-4 week RB of consistent points or DeSean who has hot and cold games: 7 11 4 15 5 7 DeSean is targeted 9 times a game typically.Jennings runs against Packers, Lions , Colts, Texans, the next 4 games, the Jaguars may be playing from behind in almost all of them. Jennings may get Run stats in the first quarter and then many short passes or draws.But a starter RB is a starter RB................
I took notice of your post as I have an interest in both players. I don't have an answer as to which one to grab per se(I always lean RB). I have an opportunity to acquire Desean via trade and I very much think now is the time. I do have a gut feeling that Desean and Philly in general are about to do much better than what we've seen in the early season. The bye would be the first factor. I love Phi's remaining schedule. Tons of shootout potential in there including home to Atlanta and then @NO (on MNF) next 2 weeks. Still play Washington twice including home to the Skins in Wk 16.Tough call, but I really like Desean as a quality buy low right now.ETA: My post didnt make sense regarding the 2 players I guess.. I own Jennings fwiw.

I took notice of your post as I have an interest in both players. I don't have an answer as to which one to grab per se(I always lean RB). I have an opportunity to acquire Desean via trade and I very much think now is the time. I do have a gut feeling that Desean and Philly in general are about to do much better than what we've seen in the early season. The bye would be the first factor. I love Phi's remaining schedule. Tons of shootout potential in there including home to Atlanta and then @NO (on MNF) next 2 weeks. Still play Washington twice including home to the Skins in Wk 16.Tough call, but I really like Desean as a quality buy low right now.ETA: My post didnt make sense regarding the 2 players I guess.. I own Jennings fwiw.
Buck and others. I agree with Desean as a good bye low. And that Eagles have shoot out schedule. And that Jacksonville has 3 tough D's and they are playing from behind. So is Jennings going to be blocking for the second half of games ?On that note, in another 12 team league I picked up CECIL SHORTS for $3 and started him in week 7 and got those sweet 17 ff points. I read that B Gabbert really likes throwing to him and so in these weeks to come they will be playing from behind, especially in the PPR league in deep leagues.

For super deep leagues, who is the 3rd guy behind MJD/Jennings? M. Owens, Parmele, or Greg Jones?
Mularkey and Bratkowski like their power backs. I'm buying Parmele (226) since he is actually listed as a RB(so is Tolston (205) who is too small to be the main guy in jax). Greg Jones showed promise running the ball before his injuries early in his career but hasn't been given the rock much since, he would fit well into the running they want to do, but he is also their #1 FB.

Users who are viewing this thread