What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (1 Viewer)

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 3h

I'll say this & I know it's one game, but Pryor showed more poise/pocket awareness/accuracy than guys like Newton & Vick
John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 3h

@JoshNorris took me a little out of context, talked about the 4th start of his career at the same point
John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2h

@JoshNorris yea I watched Cam as a rookie, haven't watched him this year, but back then feet/fundamentals all over the map
John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2h

If I had to pick one for the next ten years - I'd take TP over Cam. I know it's a small sample size but Ill take pryor

The guy throws much better than I thought he would. It seems like the pressure gets to him very quick and he manages to avoid it well and find the open receiver. On the flip side he may not be making his reads quickly enough which puts pressure on the oline to hold their blocks longer than is realistic. It's a fine line but if he improves on making his reads quicker he could be really dangerous. If I were a Raider fan I would be cautiously optimistic that they finally may have found their QB of the future.

Now about that offensive line...

Assuming he can pass the concussion tests, is his match up this week really that favorable? So far his 2 good fantasy weeks have come in Raider losses when they're in catch up mode. Against a poor Jacksonville team he didn't put up numbers. Could a bad Washington team limit his output as well? I see this as a low scoring affair.

Assuming he can pass the concussion tests, is his match up this week really that favorable? So far his 2 good fantasy weeks have come in Raider losses when they're in catch up mode. Against a poor Jacksonville team he didn't put up numbers. Could a bad Washington team limit his output as well? I see this as a low scoring affair.
You are overestimating the Raiders defense, and underestimating the Redskins offense. This should be a shootout.

It does look like Pryor's best games are against good offenses rather than bad defenses... but the raiders defense is probably going to give up major yardage to RG3 and Morris. AND the Redskins D is bad. I'd say this is a combination of good matchup criteria for him, assuming there's some clarity about him starting by Friday/Saturday.

The guy throws much better than I thought he would. It seems like the pressure gets to him very quick and he manages to avoid it well and find the open receiver. On the flip side he may not be making his reads quickly enough which puts pressure on the oline to hold their blocks longer than is realistic. It's a fine line but if he improves on making his reads quicker he could be really dangerous. If I were a Raider fan I would be cautiously optimistic that they finally may have found their QB of the future.

Three different starters on that line last night due to injury. What can they do? Brutalized by injuries.

Three different starters on that line last night due to injury. What can they do? Brutalized by injuries.
There wasn't much talent to begin with Veldheer and Wisniewski (who is still somewhat of an unknown) were the only players of note going into the season. Everyone else is/was a journeyman, has-been or never-was. Maybe Menalik Watson will be a revelation but if he isn't they still need to invest one or two more high draft picks, or spend some FA dollars to shore up the line. Most of the current starters should, at best, be reserves.

Last edited by a moderator:
From CBSSports - seems a little encouraging.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/playernews

Terrelle Pryor tweets he's going to play Week 4?

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

(2:40 pm ET) Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor took to Twitter Tuesday to discuss his status after suffering a concussion Monday against the Broncos. Although, his messages about his Week 4 status were a bit misleading.
Pryor first fired off a tweet that said: "Sorry about the loss Raider Nation. I don’t remember much! Good hit by whoever it was. I heard our team fought well. We will be back."

Pryor's next message was more uplifting, leaving the door open for him to play Sunday against the Redskins.

"I’m ready to go," Pryor tweeted. "I feel great, by the way. Thanks for the concern. Go Raiders!"

Pryor can't practice or play until he passes the NFL-mandated protocol for players suffering a concussion. Raiders coach Dennis Allen said after Monday's loss he had "no idea" about Pryor's status for Week 4, according to the Contra Costa Times. If Pryor can't play Week 4, then Matt Flynn will likely start.

There wasn't much talent to begin with Veldheer and Wisniewski (who is still somewhat of an unknown) were the only players of note going into the season. Everyone else is/was a journeyman, has-been or never-was. Maybe Menalik Watson will be a revelation but if he isn't they still need to invest one or two more high draft picks, or spend some FA dollars to shore up the line. Most of the current starters should, at best, be reserves.
Every good o line in the league has journeymen on it. The line isn't a finished product, but one hopes they have the C and LT spot filled. Those are the toughest to fill.

Every good o line in the league has journeymen on it. The line isn't a finished product, but one hopes they have the C and LT spot filled. Those are the toughest to fill.
They sure do. Brisiel is a passable journeyman, Pashos may still have some gas in the tank for spurts throughout the game but his best stuff is behind him. Gurode's best stuff is definitely behind him and Barnes never lived up to expectations. The depth is non-existant.

Veldheer is the real deal and thankfully for Oakland he plays the most important position on the OL. Wisniewski shows promise and looks like he will be above average. But the rest of the line will lucky to even make the team if the team starts bringing in the players they so desperately need.

Good thing Pryor is so mobile and so physically imposing because this line won't be able to give him much help this year.

Not cleared yet to practice:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6757/terrelle-pryor

Terrelle Pryor (concussion) is not practicing Wednesday.

Pryor is still undergoing tests after leaving Monday night's game late in the fourth quarter and hasn't been cleared to practice. His status remains uncertain for Week 4. Matt Flynn will take all the first-team reps in his absence and is in line to make his first start. Pryor would be a strong QB2 option against the Redskins if he manages to avoid being held out. Sep 25 - 2:26 PM

Source: Steve Corkran on Twitter

Not cleared yet to practice:

Terrelle Pryor (concussion) is not practicing Wednesday.

Pryor is still undergoing tests after leaving Monday night's game late in the fourth quarter and hasn't been cleared to practice. His status remains uncertain for Week 4. Matt Flynn will take all the first-team reps in his absence and is in line to make his first start. Pryor would be a strong QB2 option against the Redskins if he manages to avoid being held out. Sep 25 - 2:26 PM

Source: Steve Corkran on Twitter
It doesn't matter if Pryor says he "feels great". It's not up to him to say if he can play or not. He's got to go through a battery of tests over several days. It's a short week, the Washington Redskins gameplan is already being installed, and the likelihood of switching back to Pryor later in the week seems incredibly optimistic.

If Pryor really does feel great and wants to play, he's only hurting his chances by talking about how little he remembers from that game.

If Pryor really does feel great and wants to play, he's only hurting his chances by talking about how little he remembers from that game.
Except he didn't actually say that, he said he didn't remember taking the hit on that specific play, he didn't say that he remembers little from the game.

Except he didn't actually say that, he said he didn't remember taking the hit on that specific play, he didn't say that he remembers little from the game.
Yes, he did. Check out his tweets from after the game.Here you go:

Sorry about the loss RaiderNation. I don't remember much ! Good hit by whoever it was. I heard our team fought well .. We will be back!

Sorry about the loss RaiderNation. I don't remember much ! Good hit by whoever it was. I heard our team fought well .. We will be back!
It appears to me that he is talking about the hit, not the entire game. And Rotoworld (among other sources) also interpreted it that way:

Terrelle Pryor tweeted Tuesday that he doesn't remember taking the hit that gave him a concussion Monday night.

It's never a good sign when memory loss is associated with a concussion. The good news is Pryor did stay in the game briefly and says he feels "great" on Tuesday. The bad news is the Raiders are on a short week. It's an injury to monitor closely because Pryor would be an elite QB2 play against the Redskins in Week 4 if he gets cleared. Former Eagles scout John Middlekauff said Tuesday that he would take Pryor over Cam Newton for the next 10 years. Pryor is improving rapidly as a passer with every start. Sep 24 - 12:45 PM

It appears to me that he is talking about the hit, not the entire game. And Rotoworld (among other sources) also interpreted it that way:

Terrelle Pryor tweeted Tuesday that he doesn't remember taking the hit that gave him a concussion Monday night.

It's never a good sign when memory loss is associated with a concussion. The good news is Pryor did stay in the game briefly and says he feels "great" on Tuesday. The bad news is the Raiders are on a short week. It's an injury to monitor closely because Pryor would be an elite QB2 play against the Redskins in Week 4 if he gets cleared. Former Eagles scout John Middlekauff said Tuesday that he would take Pryor over Cam Newton for the next 10 years. Pryor is improving rapidly as a passer with every start. Sep 24 - 12:45 PM
Rotoworld's interpretations generally suck, and are incredibly biased.He clearly says "I heard our team fought well". He doesn't remember the game, or he doesn't remember how it ended. Either way, that's a problem.

It doesn't mean he won't play, I'm just saying that he's not helping his case.

Rotoworld's interpretations generally suck, and are incredibly biased.He clearly says "I heard we fought well". He doesn't remember the game, or he doesn't remember how it ended. Either way, that's a problem.

It doesn't mean he won't play, I'm just saying that he's not helping his case.
Yes, he heard they fought well after he left the game and was being evaluated in the locker room. Barring a clarification from Pryor or the team we will have to agree to disagree on what he meant.

Rotoworld's interpretations generally suck, and are incredibly biased.He clearly says "I heard we fought well". He doesn't remember the game, or he doesn't remember how it ended. Either way, that's a problem.It doesn't mean he won't play, I'm just saying that he's not helping his case.
Yes, he heard they fought well after he left the game and was being evaluated in the locker room. Barring a clarification from Pryor or the team we will have to agree to disagree on what he meant.
Fair enough, that may have been what he meant. It may not have any bearing on if he plays or not in any case.

Get ready for a controversy when Matt Flynn does his specialty of beating up on a historically weak defense and looks way better than he is.

Terrelle Pryor (concussion) has been cleared for physical activity but not practice.

It's a sign that Pryor's progressing through protocol quickly. He could easily return to practice on a limited basis Thursday or Friday and start Sunday against the Redskins. We'll have plenty of updates on Pryor throughout the week. He'd be a nice bye-week fill-in for Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton owners. Sep 25 - 4:36 PM

Terrelle Pryor (concussion) has been cleared for physical activity but not practice.

It's a sign that Pryor's progressing through protocol quickly. He could easily return to practice on a limited basis Thursday or Friday and start Sunday against the Redskins. We'll have plenty of updates on Pryor throughout the week. He'd be a nice bye-week fill-in for Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton owners. Sep 25 - 4:36 PM
Thanks for the update. Good stuff.

Looking better that he might play...

Terrelle Pryor (concussion) has been cleared to resume practicing, getting in a limited session on Thursday.

Pryor was limited to side work without his helmet, but it's still another sign he's getting close to full clearance. Pryor will be a borderline QB1 if he can give it a go against the Redskins' pathetic defense. The fate of the Raiders' entire skill-player contingent hinges on Pryor playing. Darren McFadden would be in for a major tumble down the Week 4 ranks if Matt Flynn got the call. Sep 26 - 2:21 PM

Looking better that he might play...

Terrelle Pryor (concussion) has been cleared to resume practicing, getting in a limited session on Thursday.

Pryor was limited to side work without his helmet, but it's still another sign he's getting close to full clearance. Pryor will be a borderline QB1 if he can give it a go against the Redskins' pathetic defense. The fate of the Raiders' entire skill-player contingent hinges on Pryor playing. Darren McFadden would be in for a major tumble down the Week 4 ranks if Matt Flynn got the call. Sep 26 - 2:21 PM
Unlikely to play now.

Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor wascleared to practice in a limited capacity today, but that doesn’t mean he’ll be ready to play on Sunday.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Pryor is unlikely to play for Oakland in Sunday’s game against Washington.

Need to pull the trigger on Pryor by noon on Friday. If the situation is still up in the air (looks like it will be), I'm stuck with options like Geno, EJ, Tannehill, or Glennon. Thinking Tannehill may be in shootout/catchup mode against the saints...still, Pryor would make me a lot happier if we know by Friday that he's likely to play. Don't think we'll know for sure and can't wake to take the chance. Looks like I'm not the only one in this boat.

In dynasty I have been offered these players for Pryor straight up:

Da'Rick Rogers

Latavius Murray

Marvin Jones

Naturally, at that price, I'm holding to see if he can keep improving and putting it together.

Huge Pryor fan here, that being said I'm in the same situation as a lot of folks looking to use him during a QB's bye. The only good alternative on waivers I see is Matt Flynn. Last game Flynn started was 480 yds. and 6 TD's. If you were forced to start him against the Redskins I think you could do worse.

Looks like it won't be this week: :sadbanana:

Sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter that Terrelle Pryor (concussion) is unlikely to play Sunday against the Redskins.

Pryor was cleared to resume practicing Thursday, but mostly did side work without his helmet. Matt Flynn has taken all the Raiders' first-team reps so far this week. Pryor's absence would be a huge blow to Darren McFadden's fantasy value, as DMC's mini-resurgence has appeared largely dependent on the running lanes Pryor's scrambling ability creates. For now, Pryor is Rotoworld's No. 13 quarterback for Week 4, but that will likely change on Friday. Owners in two-QB leagues need to be making other plans. Flynn would be just the matchup the Redskins' beleaguered defense needs to get on track. Sep 26 - 6:40 PM

Foureyes said:
Need to pull the trigger on Pryor by noon on Friday. If the situation is still up in the air (looks like it will be), I'm stuck with options like Geno, EJ, Tannehill, or Glennon. Thinking Tannehill may be in shootout/catchup mode against the saints...still, Pryor would make me a lot happier if we know by Friday that he's likely to play. Don't think we'll know for sure and can't wake to take the chance. Looks like I'm not the only one in this boat.
You need to declare your starters by noon on Friday?

Pryor practicing, showing no obvious signs of concussion

By Steve Corkran

Friday, September 27th, 2013 at 11:21 am in Oakland Raiders.

ALAMEDA – Quarterback Terrelle Pryor is at practice Friday, and he is doing far more than he did at any point this week while he recovered from a concussion. Therefore, there’s still a chance that he will start against the Washington Redskins.

Pryor took a few snaps and wore a helmet at Thursday’s practice, according to coach Dennis Allen. However, Pryor did not wear a helmet and attempted only one pass during the media window.

Most coaches are hesitant to start a quarterback who hasn’t practiced much the week before the game. Allen’s history puts him in this camp. The Raiders host the Redskins on Sunday.

Still, it remains to be seen whether Allen goes with Matt Flynn or Pryor. He said Wednesday that he likely won’t make an announcement beforehand, meaning people might not know until Sunday morning.

Pryor started the Raiders first three games this season. Flynn’s lone snaps came at the end of the Raiders-Broncos game in which Pryor suffered a concussion.

Allen will speak with the media shortly after noon today, at which time he is expected to provide an update on Pryor’s status.

Pryor said Wednesday that he is confident that he could perform well in a game without much, if any, practice time.

Just the same, he added, it’s hard enough to succeed taking all the reps with the first-team offense, let alone missing significant time in practice.

“I’m not Peyton (Manning),” Pryor said. “I do need experience. It’s definitely what I lack. I need experience. I need more time with my guys. That’s what I’ve lacked this whole season, starting from the first game.”

Pryor has started four games during his NFL career, including all three of the Raiders games this season.

As for the legality of the hit that concussed Pryor, the league said today that it won’t fine Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard for his helmet-to-facemask hit, according to a Fox Sports report.

Now there is a glimmer of hope again...

Raiders coach Dennis Allen told reporters Friday Terrelle Pryor (questionable, concussion) will play in Week 4 against the Redskins if he passes one more test on Saturday.

"We want to do the right thing for this kid," Allen said. Pryor indicated he still doesn't know whether he or Matt Flynn will get the nod. "It’s going to be interesting," Pryor said. "Whoever they pick it will be in the best interest of the team." The Raiders will probably make their Week 4 quarterback decision on Saturday afternoon. Hopefully a national reporter can get the scoop. Sep 27 - 4:23 PM

the story rotoworld j

Now there is a glimmer of hope again...

Raiders coach Dennis Allen told reporters Friday Terrelle Pryor (questionable, concussion) will play in Week 4 against the Redskins if he passes one more test on Saturday.

"We want to do the right thing for this kid," Allen said. Pryor indicated he still doesn't know whether he or Matt Flynn will get the nod. "It’s going to be interesting," Pryor said. "Whoever they pick it will be in the best interest of the team." The Raiders will probably make their Week 4 quarterback decision on Saturday afternoon. Hopefully a national reporter can get the scoop. Sep 27 - 4:23 PM
the full story roto world is quoting is below... I hope the last underlined part is confirmed before early kickoffs....

Raiders coach Dennis Allen said quarterback Terrelle Pryor (concussion) was cleared for contact Friday morning. If he passes one more medical hurdle Saturday, he will play Sunday against the Redskins, Allen said. Matt Flynn has been taking the first-team reps so far this week.

“We want to do the right thing for this kid,” Allen said, referring to the extra, precautionary test.

Pryor talked to reporters and he said he feels 100 percent … “it’s going to be interesting,” he said. “Whoever they pick it will be in the best interest of the team.”

Allen was asked if there were also competitive reasons for not naming a starter, and he said, “yeah.”

Pryor. who took a helmet-to-helmet hit Monday night in Denver, was still listed as limited in practice Friday, but did just about everything the other quarterbacks did.

“I like the progress that I have seen out of him over the last few days,” Allen said. “We’re going to still continue to monitor him but he’s made some significant progress. I like where he is at mentally.”

In saying Pryor will “play” and not necessarily start if he passes the team’s last test Saturday, Allen is planning to bring Pryor off the bench if he’s not totally up on the gameplan.

Pryor hadn’t heard about the extra test Saturday until reporters told him, but appreciates the team making sure he is 100 percent back from the concussion.

“They take care of their players,” Pryor said. “That sounds wonderful. … You can’t have any doubts. This is my first concussion … I feel great,” Pryor said.

Pryor said the main thing now is studying, as Flynn had a lot more reps in practice this week.

“I will study as if I will be starting,” Pryor said.

Meanwhile, Allen also said he hopes rookie tackle Menelik Watson (knee) can return to practice next week. And Brian Sanford would get the start at defensive end if Jason Hunter (quad) can’t go. That will be a game-time decision

Been trading for Pryor in all of my dynasty leagues. He's the next big thing, people are just slow to realize it because he was an Al Davis supplemental draft pick. Most physically talented QB in the league, and he's starting to come around as a passer.

Been trading for Pryor in all of my dynasty leagues. He's the next big thing, people are just slow to realize it because he was an Al Davis supplemental draft pick. Most physically talented QB in the league, and he's starting to come around as a passer.
I agree with this - as I posted in this thread earlier I think, there's something about Pryor that makes it hard for people to move on from their negative preconceptions about him, no matter what he shows us on the field. It's as if the fact that he's not always the most technically sound QB offends some people's football sensibilities or something, and he doesn't fit the mold of what people regard aesthetically as a "NFL QB" so he therefore can't be one (similar to dare I say it, Tim Tebow). Even in preseason, i was surprised by how little enthusiasm there was for him in the fantasy community generally as a waiver wire pick up - some of that no doubt is due to depth of QB this year, so most people didn't view him as a necessary pick up in the way that an emerging RB would be, but still, there wasn't much optimism and most people seemed to begrudgingly say, yeah pick him up if you're in a 2QB 32 team league or something, but expect him to be terrible.

I went back this weekend and watched some of his play across the first three weeks. He's a legitimately exciting talent and a devastating, powerful runner in the open field especially. And some people still don't want to acknowledge that he can actually throw the football. As I've said before, many people tend to hold to our first view of a player when they come out, not making allowances for the fact that players are young and can actually improve enormously once they are in an NFL system. Because we've been spoiled by the instant, polished success of guys like Wilson, Luck, Griffin, Doug Martin etc.....when guys like Pryor or, to use another example, Stephen Hill, show signs of really breaking through, some people have a hard time buying into that.

there's something about Pryor that makes it hard for people to move on from their negative preconceptions about him, no matter what he shows us on the field. It's as if the fact that he's not always the most technically sound QB offends some people's football sensibilities or something, and he doesn't fit the mold of what people regard aesthetically as a "NFL QB" so he therefore can't be one (similar to dare I say it, Tim Tebow).
Very well put, RushHour. I was going to post something similar but didn't know how to articulate it. To take it a step further, it then becomes somewhat fashionable to pile on and bash the guy. It's almost as if Pryor is supposed to be some kind of guilty pleasure for the people who actually like him as a player. Now you'll have to excuse me while I go listen to my WHAM greatest hits CD.

I like Pryor but this post reeks of chasing Cam Newton's ghost.

there's something about Pryor that makes it hard for people to move on from their negative preconceptions about him, no matter what he shows us on the field. It's as if the fact that he's not always the most technically sound QB offends some people's football sensibilities or something, and he doesn't fit the mold of what people regard aesthetically as a "NFL QB" so he therefore can't be one (similar to dare I say it, Tim Tebow).
Very well put, RushHour. I was going to post something similar but didn't know how to articulate it. To take it a step further, it then becomes somewhat fashionable to pile on and bash the guy. It's almost as if Pryor is supposed to be some kind of guilty pleasure for the people who actually like him as a player. Now you'll have to excuse me while I go listen to my WHAM greatest hits CD.
I think it's a combination of (1) playing for the raiders (2) being a supp draft pick (3) being kicked out of OSU and (4) the tebow-effect as stated above.

In any case, I don't know if I can roll with him this week. It sounds like the Raiders have prepared both QBs, and I can see football reasons for letting both play. They have different skill sets and force the defense to react different. At some point this season, maybe this game, they will rotate by the series/quarter/half or something. 3 quarters is enough for some QBs, but not for Pryor.

I think it's a combination of (1) playing for the raiders (2) being a supp draft pick (3) being kicked out of OSU and (4) the tebow-effect as stated above.

In any case, I don't know if I can roll with him this week. It sounds like the Raiders have prepared both QBs, and I can see football reasons for letting both play. They have different skill sets and force the defense to react different. At some point this season, maybe this game, they will rotate by the series/quarter/half or something. 3 quarters is enough for some QBs, but not for Pryor.
His mechanics and passing ability (touch, accuracy, arm strength) look much more like an NFL QB than Tim Tebow's ever has.

I think #3, the circumstances surrounding his leaving OSU, have much more to do with how people view him as a QB than anything else. Playing for the Raiders (#1) doesn't help though.

Users who are viewing this thread