What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (1 Viewer)

Thought about this again. Starting to remind me of Josh Freeman's situation by paying for surrounding talent. I think thats about where i'd cap his upside.
How can Tannehill's upside be capped at Josh Freeman when we still don't know what Freeman's upside is? Freeman is younger than Andy Dalton. He's less than a year older than Russell Wilson. He was fantastic as a sophomore. His terrible ending to the season last year (the atrociousness of which cannot be overstated) has distracted from the fact that his overall performance was solid, and his performance prior to the meltdown was actually good. Both Tannehill and Freeman were 24 last year- who was the last QB who was done developing at 24, who never became anything more than what he was at 24? Eli Manning didn't top 80 QB Rating until he was 27, and didn't top 90 until he was 28. Matt Ryan was 27 last year when he took his huge step forward. Aaron Rodgers didn't even win the starting job until he was 25, and by all accounts he looked absolutely wretched still at ages 23 and 24 (obvious small sample caveats aside). Drew Brees was so bad at age 24 that his team spent a top-5 draft pick on his replacement. Tom Brady didn't top 4000 yards until age 28, and didn't top 30 TDs until his record-setting season at age 30. Kurt Warner didn't even start with the Rams until he was 28- prior to that he was playing in the Arena league and bagging groceries.

Obviously the player development curve is going to be different from one player to the next, but I feel very safe making the overwhelmingly broad generalization that QBs don't peak at age 24. In fact, from looking at it, a QB usually doesn't reach his full potential until somewhere between age 25 and 28. By that measure, we have not yet seen the best of Josh Freeman, and we definitely can't know how it will compare to the best of Ryan Tannehill.

I'm not sold on his decision making, consistency and accuracy enough for him to ever be a top 10 QB(real-life or fantasy unless he's in a perfect situation).
:goodposting:

Tannehill's doomed for mediocrity, at best.
Ouch. 2.5 seasons at QB in college and the NFL combined, a top 10 overall draft pick, the 11th best fantasy season by a rookie QB in history (right between Warren Moon and Matt Ryan), and rookie efficiency metrics (6.8 ypa, 76.1 rating) that compare favorably to Peyton Manning (6.5, 71.2), Eli Manning (5.3, 55.4), or Matt Stafford (6.0, 61.0) in a notably weapon-starved offense, and still Tannehill is "doomed" to mediocrity. I think Cam Newton, Robert Griffin, Andrew Luck, and Russell Wilson (owners of the four highest-scoring rookie seasons in history) have given us an awfully skewed view of what is normal and healthy development from a rookie QB.

Ryan Tannehill was nowhere near the level of Newton, Griffin, Luck, or Wilson. He was, however, a lot better than a ton of rookies who eventually went on to be very successful fantasy QBs, rookies who had much more favorable backgrounds and situations than Tannehill had.

Ryan Tannehill was nowhere near the level of Newton, Griffin, Luck, or Wilson. He was, however, a lot better than a ton of rookies who eventually went on to be very successful fantasy QBs, rookies who had much more favorable backgrounds and situations than Tannehill had.
I don't understand the hate for Tannehill from either an NFL or fantasy perspective. He finished as QB24 last year according to PFR's scoring system. Here's the crop of QB's in his vicinity who started at least 11 games last year (this omits Kaep, Vick, and Alex Smith):

Matt Schaub (QB17)

Carson Palmer

Ben Roethlisberger

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Philip Rivers

Christian Ponder

Jay Cutler

Ryan Tannehill (QB24)

Brandon Weeden (QB26)

Jake Locker (QB28)

Mark Sanchez (QB30)

Can you look at that list and find a single other name who has long-term QB1 fantasy upside in a dynasty league?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tannehill outscored every other guy on this list next year. I think he's even more likely to do so in 2014. And then most of what you'd get in the out years is gravy (every guy ahead of him save Ponder will be in his 30's next season). Compared to the tier of guys around which he'll likely be drafted, I think he's a dynasty steal.

From a pure NFL perspective, he's young. He's still developing. And until this offseason, the Dolphins haven't exactly graced him with a cast of Pro Bowlers at the skill positions. I'm not saying he's destined to become the next A-Rod, but those who are writing him off are doing so far too soon IMO.

I don't understand the hate for Tannehill from either an NFL or fantasy perspective. He finished as QB24 last year according to PFR's scoring system. Here's the crop of QB's in his vicinity who started at least 11 games last year (this omits Kaep, Vick, and Alex Smith):

Matt Schaub (QB17)

Carson Palmer

Ben Roethlisberger

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Philip Rivers

Christian Ponder

Jay Cutler

Ryan Tannehill (QB24)

Brandon Weeden (QB26)

Jake Locker (QB28)

Mark Sanchez (QB30)

Can you look at that list and find a single other name who has long-term QB1 fantasy upside in a dynasty league?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tannehill outscored every other guy on this list next year. I think he's even more likely to do so in 2014. And then most of what you'd get in the out years is gravy (every guy ahead of him save Ponder will be in his 30's next season). Compared to the tier of guys around which he'll likely be drafted, I think he's a dynasty steal.

From a pure NFL perspective, he's young. He's still developing. And until this offseason, the Dolphins haven't exactly graced him with a cast of Pro Bowlers at the skill positions. I'm not saying he's destined to become the next A-Rod, but those who are writing him off are doing so far too soon IMO.
I own Tannehill. I would trade him for Cutler, Schaub, maybe Big Ben, and possibly Rivers (depending on if SD address their OL in the draft)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought about this again. Starting to remind me of Josh Freeman's situation by paying for surrounding talent. I think thats about where i'd cap his upside.
How can Tannehill's upside be capped at Josh Freeman when we still don't know what Freeman's upside is? Freeman is younger than Andy Dalton. He's less than a year older than Russell Wilson. He was fantastic as a sophomore. His terrible ending to the season last year (the atrociousness of which cannot be overstated) has distracted from the fact that his overall performance was solid, and his performance prior to the meltdown was actually good. Both Tannehill and Freeman were 24 last year- who was the last QB who was done developing at 24, who never became anything more than what he was at 24? Eli Manning didn't top 80 QB Rating until he was 27, and didn't top 90 until he was 28. Matt Ryan was 27 last year when he took his huge step forward. Aaron Rodgers didn't even win the starting job until he was 25, and by all accounts he looked absolutely wretched still at ages 23 and 24 (obvious small sample caveats aside). Drew Brees was so bad at age 24 that his team spent a top-5 draft pick on his replacement. Tom Brady didn't top 4000 yards until age 28, and didn't top 30 TDs until his record-setting season at age 30. Kurt Warner didn't even start with the Rams until he was 28- prior to that he was playing in the Arena league and bagging groceries.

Obviously the player development curve is going to be different from one player to the next, but I feel very safe making the overwhelmingly broad generalization that QBs don't peak at age 24. In fact, from looking at it, a QB usually doesn't reach his full potential until somewhere between age 25 and 28. By that measure, we have not yet seen the best of Josh Freeman, and we definitely can't know how it will compare to the best of Ryan Tannehill.

>>

I'm not sold on his decision making, consistency and accuracy enough for him to ever be a top 10 QB(real-life or fantasy unless he's in a perfect situation).

Ouch. 2.5 seasons at QB in college and the NFL combined, a top 10 overall draft pick, the 11th best fantasy season by a rookie QB in history (right between Warren Moon and Matt Ryan), and rookie efficiency metrics (6.8 ypa, 76.1 rating) that compare favorably to Peyton Manning (6.5, 71.2), Eli Manning (5.3, 55.4), or Matt Stafford (6.0, 61.0) in a notably weapon-starved offense, and still Tannehill is "doomed" to mediocrity. I think Cam Newton, Robert Griffin, Andrew Luck, and Russell Wilson (owners of the four highest-scoring rookie seasons in history) have given us an awfully skewed view of what is normal and healthy development from a rookie QB.

You answered you own question here. He was touted as a cosilation prize to Luck/RG3. Good luck with that. Luck/Rg3/Wilson ect... are the guys you need to compare him to not Warren Moon. The game/position has changed since then. Eventually the older guys are going to retire and he'll be the Jay Cutler of the bunch.

Freeman soph season he had a cake schedule. When he faces tougher oppponents coaches get fired. Good catch about the age thing but It's possible he doesn't make it to 28 as a starter

Matt Schaub (QB17)

Carson Palmer

Ben Roethlisberger

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Philip Rivers

Christian Ponder

Jay Cutler

Ryan Tannehill (QB24)

Brandon Weeden (QB26)

Jake Locker (QB28)

Mark Sanchez (QB30)

I own Tannehill. I would trade him for Cutler, Schaub, maybe Big Ben, and possibly Rivers (depending on if SD address their OL in the draft)
And in two years you'll be kicking yourself for doing so.

So if I'm gonna try to trade the 1.12 for Tannehill or Freeman, which would you choose?
I have Tannehill rated as QB13 and Freeman as QB14 in dynasty, so either is a solid choice, but Tannehill gets a slight edge (depending a bit on roster construction- if your QB situation is positively dire and you need a producer, Freeman has the higher floor in the short term and I could easily see preferring him).

Worth noting that I am the highest among all the staff on both players (although Bloom also has Tannehill at 13).

Matt Schaub (QB17)

Carson Palmer

Ben Roethlisberger

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Philip Rivers

Christian Ponder

Jay Cutler

Ryan Tannehill (QB24)

Brandon Weeden (QB26)

Jake Locker (QB28)

Mark Sanchez (QB30)

I have Tannehill rated over every single one of those names (often by quite some margin), but I definitely can see other names on that list with long-term QB1 upside. I could see Roethlisberger playing 6 more years at a QB1 level. Rivers also has the potential if he can prove last year was a fluke, and Cutler has always had the talent if he could only land in a favorable enough situation. The reason I have Tannehill higher is both because he's significantly younger (which gives him better upside and protects his value from short-term shocks) and because his upside is a lot higher than merely "fantasy QB1".

>>>

You answered you own question here. He was touted as a cosilation prize to Luck/RG3. Good luck with that. Luck/Rg3/Wilson ect... are the guys you need to compare him to not Warren Moon. The game/position has changed since then. Eventually the older guys are going to retire and he'll be the Jay Cutler of the bunch.

Freeman soph season he had a cake schedule. When he faces tougher oppponents coaches get fired. Good catch about the age thing but It's possible he doesn't make it to 28 as a starter
I think that's a bit of a red herring. No, Tannehill is not Newton, Griffin, Luck, or Wilson. I don't think anyone claimed he was. There's a huge amount of room between "not one of the four greatest rookie QBs in history" and "doomed to mediocrity", though. I've got Tannehill ranked at least a half dozen spots behind every one of those guys (who make up my top 6, along with Rodgers and Brees), but I still think he's a huge-upside prospects and possibly the best possible dynasty QB2 right now.

I definitely agree there's a chance that Freeman is not starting for Tampa at age 28 (although I would bet strongly against him being out of the league entirely, and think he'll probably still be starting somewhere- see Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb). However, that's 3 years from now. There are a whole host of players who might not still have a starting job 3 years from now. There are maybe 12-16 guys who I feel very confident have the starting job on lockdown for at least another 3 years, and after that you need to start making educated guesses and taking calculated gambles. The risk of Freeman's worst case scenario (out of Tampa Bay and just a journeyman by age 28) is offset by the payoff of Freeman's best case scenario (firmly entrenched as a franchise QB in a pass-first offense with plenty of weapons).

Well part of it is the position he plays, generally only the top 6-8 QBs offer any VBD, so unless a QB puts up top 8 QB fantasy numbers, he's little more than mediocre at best. For example, you list Eli Manning as an example of what Tannehill can become, but I'd say Eli Manning is the definition of a mediocre QB from a fantasy perspective. 2011 is the only year of his career so far where he offered non-replaceable value. Cam Newton has a higher cumulative VBD in his first 2 seasons than Eli Manning does in his entire 9 year career.

Secondly, I'm far from convinced that comparing Tannehill's numbers to QBs who played in the 80s and 90s is relevant. The game has changed so much in the past few years, yet alone the past few decades; I think comparing him to his peers is more logical. I actually really liked your finding that stud QBs generally show

their stuff earlier than one would think, and that's one piece of evidence that I'm expecting there to be at the end of next season that Tannehill is doomed for mediocrity at best.

So if I'm gonna try to trade the 1.12 for Tannehill or Freeman, which would you choose?
I have Tannehill rated as QB13 and Freeman as QB14 in dynasty, so either is a solid choice, but Tannehill gets a slight edge (depending a bit on roster construction- if your QB situation is positively dire and you need a producer, Freeman has the higher floor in the short term and I could easily see preferring him). Worth noting that I am the highest among all the staff on both players (although Bloom also has Tannehill at 13).
>>

I don't understand the hate for Tannehill from either an NFL or fantasy perspective. He finished as QB24 last year according to PFR's scoring system. Here's the crop of QB's in his vicinity who started at least 11 games last year (this omits Kaep, Vick, and Alex Smith): Matt Schaub (QB17)Carson PalmerBen RoethlisbergerRyan FitzpatrickPhilip RiversChristian PonderJay CutlerRyan Tannehill (QB24)Brandon Weeden (QB26)Jake Locker (QB28)Mark Sanchez (QB30) Can you look at that list and find a single other name who has long-term QB1 fantasy upside in a dynasty league? I wouldn't be surprised if Tannehill outscored every other guy on this list next year. I think he's even more likely to do so in 2014. And then most of what you'd get in the out years is gravy (every guy ahead of him save Ponder will be in his 30's next season). Compared to the tier of guys around which he'll likely be drafted, I think he's a dynasty steal. From a pure NFL perspective, he's young. He's still developing. And until this offseason, the Dolphins haven't exactly graced him with a cast of Pro Bowlers at the skill positions. I'm not saying he's destined to become the next A-Rod, but those who are writing him off are doing so far too soon IMO.
I have Tannehill rated over every single one of those names (often by quite some margin), but I definitely can see other names on that list with long-term QB1 upside. I could see Roethlisberger playing 6 more years at a QB1 level. Rivers also has the potential if he can prove last year was a fluke, and Cutler has always had the talent if he could only land in a favorable enough situation. The reason I have Tannehill higher is both because he's significantly younger (which gives him better upside and protects his value from short-term shocks) and because his upside is a lot higher than merely "fantasy QB1".
How can Tannehill's upside be capped at Josh Freeman when we still don't know what Freeman's upside is? Freeman is younger than Andy Dalton. He's less than a year older than Russell Wilson. He was fantastic as a sophomore. His terrible ending to the season last year (the atrociousness of which cannot be overstated) has distracted from the fact that his overall performance was solid, and his performance prior to the meltdown was actually good. Both Tannehill and Freeman were 24 last year- who was the last QB who was done developing at 24, who never became anything more than what he was at 24? Eli Manning didn't top 80 QB Rating until he was 27, and didn't top 90 until he was 28. Matt Ryan was 27 last year when he took his huge step forward. Aaron Rodgers didn't even win the starting job until he was 25, and by all accounts he looked absolutely wretched still at ages 23 and 24 (obvious small sample caveats aside). Drew Brees was so bad at age 24 that his team spent a top-5 draft pick on his replacement. Tom Brady didn't top 4000 yards until age 28, and didn't top 30 TDs until his record-setting season at age 30. Kurt Warner didn't even start with the Rams until he was 28- prior to that he was playing in the Arena league and bagging groceries. Obviously the player development curve is going to be different from one player to the next, but I feel very safe making the overwhelmingly broad generalization that QBs don't peak at age 24. In fact, from looking at it, a QB usually doesn't reach his full potential until somewhere between age 25 and 28. By that measure, we have not yet seen the best of Josh Freeman, and we definitely can't know how it will compare to the best of Ryan Tannehill.
>>>>

:goodposting: Tannehill's doomed for mediocrity, at best.
Ouch. 2.5 seasons at QB in college and the NFL combined, a top 10 overall draft pick, the 11th best fantasy season by a rookie QB in history (right between Warren Moon and Matt Ryan), and rookie efficiency metrics (6.8 ypa, 76.1 rating) that compare favorably to Peyton Manning (6.5, 71.2), Eli Manning (5.3, 55.4), or Matt Stafford (6.0, 61.0) in a notably weapon-starved offense, and still Tannehill is "doomed" to mediocrity. I think Cam Newton, Robert Griffin, Andrew Luck, and Russell Wilson (owners of the four highest-scoring rookie seasons in history) have given us an awfully skewed view of what is normal and healthy development from a rookie QB. Ryan Tannehill was nowhere near the level of Newton, Griffin, Luck, or Wilson. He was, however, a lot better than a ton of rookies who eventually went on to be very successful fantasy QBs, rookies who had much more favorable backgrounds and situations than Tannehill had.
You answered you own question here. He was touted as a cosilation prize to Luck/RG3. Good luck with that. Luck/Rg3/Wilson ect... are the guys you need to compare him to not Warren Moon. The game/position has changed since then. Eventually the older guys are going to retire and he'll be the Jay Cutler of the bunch. Freeman soph season he had a cake schedule. When he faces tougher oppponents coaches get fired. Good catch about the age thing but It's possible he doesn't make it to 28 as a starter
I think that's a bit of a red herring. No, Tannehill is not Newton, Griffin, Luck, or Wilson. I don't think anyone claimed he was. There's a huge amount of room between "not one of the four greatest rookie QBs in history" and "doomed to mediocrity", though. I've got Tannehill ranked at least a half dozen spots behind every one of those guys (who make up my top 6, along with Rodgers and Brees), but I still think he's a huge-upside prospects and possibly the best possible dynasty QB2 right now. I definitely agree there's a chance that Freeman is not starting for Tampa at age 28 (although I would bet strongly against him being out of the league entirely, and think he'll probably still be starting somewhere- see Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb). However, that's 3 years from now. There are a whole host of players who might not still have a starting job 3 years from now. There are maybe 12-16 guys who I feel very confident have the starting job on lockdown for at least another 3 years, and after that you need to start making educated guesses and taking calculated gambles. The risk of Freeman's worst case scenario (out of Tampa Bay and just a journeyman by age 28) is offset by the payoff of Freeman's best case scenario (firmly entrenched as a franchise QB in a pass-first offense with plenty of weapons).
Rodger, Luck, RG3, Wilson, Newton, Kaepernick, Stafford are young still. Brady, Brees, Romo, Peyton, Eli I'd rather have in a 3 year window. Ponder, Dalton, Bradford and Foles may be in his class but I can go tooth and nail why I like them more. I didn't even mention Flacco, Rivers, Kolb, Palmer who you could pair together and get though the year .. I'm not into holding onto QB2 upside. And next years class will have a few guys I like more than Tanne. I think the "doomed to mediocrity" lable could be pretty sticky. The bump he will get from the players around him will be Freeman like, but he won't ever be matchup proof like a true elite QB. And the QB2 status might solely depend on if he starts getting rushing yards like he did to end the season.

:goodposting: Tannehill's doomed for mediocrity, at best.
Ouch. 2.5 seasons at QB in college and the NFL combined, a top 10 overall draft pick, the 11th best fantasy season by a rookie QB in history (right between Warren Moon and Matt Ryan), and rookie efficiency metrics (6.8 ypa, 76.1 rating) that compare favorably to Peyton Manning (6.5, 71.2), Eli Manning (5.3, 55.4), or Matt Stafford (6.0, 61.0) in a notably weapon-starved offense, and still Tannehill is "doomed" to mediocrity. I think Cam Newton, Robert Griffin, Andrew Luck, and Russell Wilson (owners of the four highest-scoring rookie seasons in history) have given us an awfully skewed view of what is normal and healthy development from a rookie QB. Ryan Tannehill was nowhere near the level of Newton, Griffin, Luck, or Wilson. He was, however, a lot better than a ton of rookies who eventually went on to be very successful fantasy QBs, rookies who had much more favorable backgrounds and situations than Tannehill had.
Well part of it is the position he plays, generally only the top 6-8 QBs offer any VBD, so unless a QB puts up top 8 QB fantasy numbers, he's little more than mediocre at best. For example, you list Eli Manning as an example of what Tannehill can become, but I'd say Eli Manning is the definition of a mediocre QB from a fantasy perspective. 2011 is the only year of his career so far where he offered non-replaceable value. Cam Newton has a higher cumulative VBD in his first 2 seasons than Eli Manning does in his entire 9 year career. Secondly, I'm far from convinced that comparing Tannehill's numbers to QBs who played in the 80s and 90s is relevant. The game has changed so much in the past few years, yet alone the past few decades; I think comparing him to his peers is more logical. I actually really liked your finding that stud QBs generally show their stuff earlier than one would think, and that's one piece of evidence that I'm expecting there to be at the end of next season that Tannehill is doomed for mediocrity at best.
I compared Eli as one example, not to say that Tanny was the next Eli. Tanny's YPA was a yard and a half higher than Eli's. His QB rating was 20 points higher. And even if he did become the next Eli Manning, that would be disappointing from a fantasy perspective, but not terribly so- a decade worth of very high end backup numbers still has value. Maybe that value is worth a #16 ranking instead of the #13 ranking I currently have assigned him, but we're still in the same ballpark. I know that, historically, QBs who do not excel immediately rarely excel eventually. I've seen the data and posted about them. I've also posted that they're not destiny- when Ryan and Flacco took too long to become fantasy starters, I said I still expected them to make it. I've also pointed out that you have to understand that all players are different, and a guy like Tannehill (extremely raw coming out, day one starter) can't really be compared to a guy like Rivers (who set a record for games started in college and then sat for two years in the pros). I keep hammering on this point because I really think it cannot be stressed enough. The weekend Tannehill's college coach told him he was going to be playing QB, a little known British songstress named Adele was releasing her first single from her new album, "21". Tannehill has been playing QB such a short time, there are goldfish who still remember his first start. And yet, his rookie stats stack up well against anyone except for the "Big 4". Tannehill may wind up busting. Lots of QBs do. I just think the words "doomed" or "mediocre" are ludicrously premature at this junction.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165803/article/ryan-tannehill-will-be-much-improved-sherman-says

Ryan Tannehill will be much improved, Sherman says

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Ryan Tannehill's rookie season was one of subtle progress.

While fellow rookies Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson took the league by storm (and their teams to the playoffs), Tannehill's strides were more measured.

The Miami Dolphins quarterback showed command at the line of scrimmage and stood tall in the pocket. He ran the two-minute offense gracefully and didn't force the ball to his primary receiver. He was supposed to be a raw project, but he didn't play that way.

Now with a full season under his belt and a superior group of playmakers to throw the ball to, Tannehill would seem well-prepared to make the leap in his second season. At least, that's how Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman sees it.

"This young man will be the most improved quarterback in the National Football League from Year 1 to Year 2 this year -- I promise you that," Sherman told the Dolphins' official site on Wednesday. "He's working extremely hard.

"I thought he had a good rookie year for what we asked him to do," Sherman said. "Now, with us building up some more weaponry around him, I think he'll be even better this upcoming year. So we're excited to get on the field and start practicing, OTAs and minicamp, and see where we're at."

It's not a surprise that Sherman believes Tannehill is a star in waiting. Still, Tannehill showed signs of true ability as a rookie. Given the experience and a better supporting cast, the stage is set for a breakout season.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Well, I'm officially in. Traded the 1.12 and M.Turner yesterday for Tannehill. I needed a young 3rd QB, as I have only Ben and Eli, and after last year I think I have to rank Tannehill higher than any of this year's rookies.

It may be a shallow opinion but his name kills his value for me--I just cant see the name of Tannehill being mentioned as a good QB.

Well, I'm officially in. Traded the 1.12 and M.Turner yesterday for Tannehill. I needed a young 3rd QB, as I have only Ben and Eli, and after last year I think I have to rank Tannehill higher than any of this year's rookies.
Good move. Had Tannehill been in this year's draft, he'd probably have been the #1 overall pick. He's a much better prospect than whoever will be there with the #12 pick.

It may be a shallow opinion but his name kills his value for me--I just cant see the name of Tannehill being mentioned as a good QB.
It can't possibly be worse than Fran Tarkenton, can it?

Love Tannehill as an upside backup FF QB this year and a dynasty buy...

In addition to an upgrade in his weapons, Tannehill (who is a tremendous athlete) was unleashed more as a runner in Nov-Dec and had 181 rushing yards and a score over the last 6 games while no one was looking... that projects out to just about 500 rushing yards in a full season...

Ryan Tannehill will be "most improved QB in the NFL from year one to year two this year, I promise you that" -- Dolphins OC Mike Sherman.
FWIW, I agree with him. LOVE this kid's potential. I hope we're both right.

Looks like Faust beat me by a week on this breaking news, as usual. :lmao:

DAMN YOU!
Yeah, don't even try to keep up with Faust. I hear he secretly outsources his entire news gathering operation to a sweatshop in Taiwan. There's no way to compete with that.
:lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-tannehill-excited-about-mike-wallaces-speed

Ryan Tannehill excited about Mike Wallace's speed
By Kevin Patra NFL.com

If Ryan Tannehill is going to be the NFL's most improved quarterback next season, as his offensive coordinator insists, he's going to have to lean on the new offensive toys general manager Jeff Ireland's provided him with.

So far, the quarterback likes what he's seen.

One anecdote The Miami Herald reported Sunday was a pass-catching session between the quarterback and new receiver Mike Wallace. Impressed with the receiver's speed, Tannehill told Wallace to ratchet it down to half speed.

"I am going half speed," Wallace responded, according to Tannehill.

"Everything I heard about him coming in has proved to be true -- he's as advertised," Tannehill said. "He's the fastest guy I've ever thrown to. It's exciting."

Tannehill also sang the praises of Brandon Gibson, the Dolphins' other new receiver. Tannehill relayed to the Herald that he's been meticulous in picking apart every snap he took in 2012, trying to improve.

The dynamic ability Tannehill showed as a rookie, coupled with his weapons to work with, make Tannehill a prime breakout candidate. Two big questions remain: Will the retooled offensive line keep him upright long enough for deep routes to develop, and will he become consistent enough to close out games?

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

I am really high on Tannehill this year. The signing of Wallace was huge for his potential. I love Hartline in the wr2 position as well. If Lamar Miller can fill Reggie Bush' shoes, I think the Dolphins can become the most improved team this season. And this is coming from a Seahawk fan.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/m...uld-emerge-as-the-next-great-quarterback-star

Ryan Tannehill could emerge as the next great quarterback star
Mike Freeman

During the first days of training camp during his rookie season, Ryan Tannehill walked into the Miami Dolphins' building, and one of the first people whom he saw was offensive lineman Richie Incognito.

"I saw him," says Tannehill, "and he had a few choice words for me."

What were some of them, he was asked?

"Scum and rookie were used together in a sentence," Tannehill said, laughing, "along with some expletives."

In the future, however, the only people who might be using expletives when speaking of Tannehill are the coaches, players and fans of teams that Tannehill faces. They will be cursing because it's a good bet that Tannehill will be torching them.

To some, Tannehill is a polarizing figure, which always baffles. In speaking with five scouts about him, three thought he was a future Pro Bowler while two thought he'd be a bust. Again, baffling. To me, there is no better candidate for the next breakout quarterback. None.

"It's all a matter of what you make it," he said in an interview with CBSSports.com. "I have high expectations for myself, and I'm going to work to try and meet and exceed them."

The signs of a breakout Tannehill year are everywhere. There were too many interceptions last year, his rookie season, true, but there was steady, tangible growth. It was almost like watching him climb stairs. His mind worked better and better as the season went along.

His 3,294 passing yards were the most for a rookie in team history -- and this is a franchise that had Dan Marino. His 282 completions were the most for a rookie in team history -- and this is a franchise that had Bob Griese.

Tannehill is tough and has one of the strongest arms in football. Tannehill also has something that few young players possess -- a strong sense of self-awareness. "I went back," he said, "and looked at every throw I made last year."

He has done this several different times, in fact.

Tannehill, along with his quarterbacks coach, broke down each pass and categorized it -- short, intermediate, long, left, right, middle. On and on it went. He looked at the strengths and weaknesses of every throw. This is not unusual for veterans, but it is somewhat for younger players. Remember, Mike Vick didn't look at game film during his entire time in Atlanta, 2001-06.

Tannehill says he has also spent a large amount of time this offseason trying to improve his footwork. "I'd say 90 percent of throwing a football are the feet," he explained.

That work ethic, combined with a strong head and physical skills, should coalesce into something special. At least, that's my good bet.

Mike Wallace -- Tannehill's new receiving weapon, who came to the Dolphins from Pittsburgh -- is obviously biased. He's Tannehill's main target now and, of course, Wallace is going to say nice things about his new quarterback. But what Wallace said also has an element of raw truth.

Wallace believes Tannehill could be just as talented as Ben Roethlisberger. Those are huge words since Roethlisberger is, well, a huge figure in the NFL. But again, this isn't totally insane.

"Both have strong arms," Wallace told the The Miami Herald recently, "Ryan has a cannon [and] can really fling it. Ryan may be able to throw the ball a little farther than Ben. Obviously, Ben is more experienced ... The way it's going, it won't take long for Ryan to be one of the great quarterbacks. I feel like we can make a lot of big plays."

There are certainly caveats here. The Steelers put an extreme number of talented players around Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is good, but it's easier to sit in the pocket behind a great offensive line (most of the time) and throw to an assortment of weapons.

What the Dolphins have to do is make sure Tannehill has weapons as well. What Tannehill has to do is cut down the turnovers. My belief is we'll see an Eli Manning-type of transition for Tannehill. Actually, Eli is a better comparison than Roethlisberger in some ways. As Manning got more comfortable, his play improved exponentially. I see the same happening with Tannehill.

Then Incognito won't be the only one cursing.

Love Tannehill as an upside backup FF QB this year and a dynasty buy...

In addition to an upgrade in his weapons, Tannehill (who is a tremendous athlete) was unleashed more as a runner in Nov-Dec and had 181 rushing yards and a score over the last 6 games while no one was looking... that projects out to just about 500 rushing yards in a full season...
Tannehill reminds me of a fresh faced Aaron Rodgers. Not the MVP one, the one that was coming out of Cal. He doesn't get enough credit for his athleticism, or how good his arm is. He also has what I consider to be a QB guru in Philbin as his head coach. He refined Rodgers game to an elite level. He'll be able to improve Tannehill's game quite a bit.

I am really high on Tannehill this year. The signing of Wallace was huge for his potential. I love Hartline in the wr2 position as well. If Lamar Miller can fill Reggie Bush' shoes, I think the Dolphins can become the most improved team this season. And this is coming from a Seahawk fan.
Dustin Keller was a pretty big improvement as well.

Mike Freeman His 3,294 passing yards were the most for a rookie in team history -- and this is a franchise that had Dan Marino.
Makes for an attention-grabbing sentence, but to keep perspective Marino started nine games his rookie season. Tannehill started 16.1983 was a different time.

Mike Freeman

His 3,294 passing yards were the most for a rookie in team history -- and this is a franchise that had Dan Marino.
Makes for an attention-grabbing sentence, but to keep perspective Marino started nine games his rookie season. Tannehill started 16.1983 was a different time.
The Bob Griese reference was even more shameful. Griese's rookie year came during a 12-game season. He started 10 games. The league-wide completion percentage that year was 47.6%. You mean Tannehill had more completions as a rookie? You don't say...

Other than Griese and Marino, the only rookie QB to see significant playing time in Miami was David Woodley, who started 11 games in 1980. I'm shocked- shocked!- that Ryan Tannehill had better numbers than a trio of guys who started fewer than 66% as many games and played 30+ years ago.

He throws too many INTs at critical points.
He had a bad one against the Jets but Miami is 5-1 if they make 2 FGs so despite those critical Interceptions(not that many his rookie year) Miami has been in position to win almost every game except week 1@Hou and that was primarily a 5 minute debacle at the end of the 1st half that put 20 points on the board for the Texans.I'm not trying to be Mimi homer but I don't agree that he should be labeled as a turnover machine. Miami for the first time has some stability at the position. 'Is it your opinion that he will be an interception machine his entire career?
I don't think any rookie quarterback should be labeled a turnover machine

I'm as big a fan as any of Tannehill. I mean, I did start the Ryan Tannehill Bandwagon, but his value might be a little inflated right now, mainly based on the addition of Wallace. It wouldn't surprise me if Tannehill comes out and has a sophomore slump, at least at the beginning of the season. That wil be the time to swoop in and buy low from owners not completely sold on his talent imo.

The more I watch I wonder what everybody is seeing. I really didn't notice how bad his mechanics are until I watched him side-to-side with Brady twice. I didn’t intend to compare the two. That’s not fair for a rookie but the difference was too evident while watching a technician. He stares down receivers. He is inaccurate throwing into crowds. Has a slow delivery that actually looks like a windup to me. His arm strength is overrated. For all his so called athleticism he’s useless vs pressure. No control of the offense. I'm starting to question if Tannehill even has a mediocre upside. Felt like I was watching Blaine Gabbert with a little swagger.

The more I watch I wonder what everybody is seeing. I really didn't notice how bad his mechanics are until I watched him side-to-side with Brady twice. I didn’t intend to compare the two. That’s not fair for a rookie but the difference was too evident while watching a technician. He stares down receivers. He is inaccurate throwing into crowds. Has a slow delivery that actually looks like a windup to me. His arm strength is overrated. For all his so called athleticism he’s useless vs pressure. No control of the offense. I'm starting to question if Tannehill even has a mediocre upside. Felt like I was watching Blaine Gabbert with a little swagger.
ugh. :oldunsure:

He had a bad one against the Jets but Miami is 5-1 if they make 2 FGs so despite those critical Interceptions(not that many his rookie year) Miami has been in position to win almost every game except week 1@Hou and that was primarily a 5 minute debacle at the end of the 1st half that put 20 points on the board for the Texans.I'm not trying to be Mimi homer but I don't agree that he should be labeled as a turnover machine. Miami for the first time has some stability at the position. 'Is it your opinion that he will be an interception machine his entire career?
I agree with this. If you didn't realize that a rookie QB, on a bad team with little talent surrounding him, was going to throw a lot of INTs, I don't know what to tell you. It's a huge transition from college to the pros, and hiccups should be expected in the growing process. A problem arrises if he's still throwing headscratching INTs in his 3-5 seasons. If that's the case, he'll probably always be a TO machine (ie Cutler, Favre, and Romo).

In the first couple seasons, I focus mainly on pocket presence (Tannehill has it in droves), accuracy on the long ball (Tannehill has a cannon, and I saw him thread quite a few needles from 15+ yards last year), and the ability to put touch on passes (this is Tannehill's biggest weakness imo). Two out of three isn't bad, and teaching someone to put more touch on their passes should be the least difficult of these three to teach.

Still, my advice is to wait until he has a couple bad games to start the season, and then swoop in and buy him low. Right now is not the best time to get good value, assuming the Tannehill owner in your league knows what he's doing.

I agree with this. If you didn't realize that a rookie QB, on a bad team with little talent surrounding him, was going to throw a lot of INTs, I don't know what to tell you. It's a huge transition from college to the pros, and hiccups should be expected in the growing process. A problem arrises if he's still throwing headscratching INTs in his 3-5 seasons. If that's the case, he'll probably always be a TO machine (ie Cutler, Favre, and Romo). In the first couple seasons, I focus mainly on pocket presence (Tannehill has it in droves), accuracy on the long ball (Tannehill has a cannon, and I saw him thread quite a few needles from 15+ yards last year), and the ability to put touch on passes (this is Tannehill's biggest weakness imo). Two out of three isn't bad, and teaching someone to put more touch on their passes should be the least difficult of these three to teach. Still, my advice is to wait until he has a couple bad games to start the season, and then swoop in and buy him low. Right now is not the best time to get good value, assuming the Tannehill owner in your league knows what he's doing.
The wheels are going to fall off of this bus. Take away two late season gifts vs Jax and Buf he had 8TD-13INT for the season. He struggles to even get you 200 yards in the air. He's fine gunning the ball to pre-designed crossing patterns, but when it comes to challenging defenses and making decisions he's trouble. I've even watched games where he could have thrown 6-7+ picks like vs Arizona. He's being judged from highlights. I don't believe anyone is watching his games. He's better than Gabbert but It's close.

I agree with this. If you didn't realize that a rookie QB, on a bad team with little talent surrounding him, was going to throw a lot of INTs, I don't know what to tell you. It's a huge transition from college to the pros, and hiccups should be expected in the growing process. A problem arrises if he's still throwing headscratching INTs in his 3-5 seasons. If that's the case, he'll probably always be a TO machine (ie Cutler, Favre, and Romo). In the first couple seasons, I focus mainly on pocket presence (Tannehill has it in droves), accuracy on the long ball (Tannehill has a cannon, and I saw him thread quite a few needles from 15+ yards last year), and the ability to put touch on passes (this is Tannehill's biggest weakness imo). Two out of three isn't bad, and teaching someone to put more touch on their passes should be the least difficult of these three to teach. Still, my advice is to wait until he has a couple bad games to start the season, and then swoop in and buy him low. Right now is not the best time to get good value, assuming the Tannehill owner in your league knows what he's doing.
The wheels are going to fall off of this bus. Take away two late season gifts vs Jax and Buf he had 8TD-13INT for the season. He struggles to even get you 200 yards in the air. He's fine gunning the ball to pre-designed crossing patterns, but when it comes to challenging defenses and making decisions he's trouble. I've even watched games where he could have thrown 6-7+ picks like vs Arizona. He's being judged from highlights. I don't believe anyone is watching his games. He's better than Gabbert but It's close.
I watched more than half of Tannehill's games last year, and think you're pretty far off base on your analysis. Most notably, Gabbert's pocket presence is more comparable to John Beck than Tannehill. Tannehill stands strong in the pocket, and often delivers frozen ropes to his WRs.

As a rookie we should expect to see him struggle at times with decision making, especially against talented defenses. If he doesn't show any improvement this year, then your criticisms would have more meaning. As it stands now, a rookie QB had lapses in his decision making, Shocking! Of course he did, but overall his rookie season was quite promising. I find it more likely that you're the one not watching the games, because a Gabbert to Tannehill comparison is night and day imo. You already admitted in a previous thread that you wrote Tannehill off before he ever played a down in the NFL. So, I give your opinion very little weight, especially concerning this topic.

I watched more than half of Tannehill's games last year, and think you're pretty far off base on your analysis. Most notably, Gabbert's pocket presence is more comparable to John Beck than Tannehill. Tannehill stands strong in the pocket, and often delivers frozen ropes to his WRs. As a rookie we should expect to see him struggle at times with decision making, especially against talented defenses. If he doesn't show any improvement this year, then your criticisms would have more meaning. As it stands now, a rookie QB had lapses in his decision making, Shocking! Of course he did, but overall his rookie season was quite promising. I find it more likely that you're the one not watching the games, because a Gabbert to Tannehill comparison is night and day imo. You already admitted in a previous thread that you wrote Tannehill off before he ever played a down in the NFL. So, I give your opinion very little weight, especially concerning this topic.
That was because I thought he sucked coming out and wasn't a better prospect than Foles or a gamble on Wilson. I'm pretty sure I won the first round. Make as many excuses for him as you want. Facts remain he didn't return much for the investment. He has a way to go before he's even a bad QB. Keep your fingers crossed and maybe he'll go back to WR. Just because I wasn't optimistic on him to begin with doesn't mean I wouldn't admit being wrong. That would be silly if you play fantasy football. I was the first to mention if he start running he might actually have mediocre upside in FF. That was something I watched as the season went along. So dismiss my opinion if you want, but I'd tell you it's totally objective. Almost every QB gets better their second year. That is a given and I'd expect him to. Luck- Wilson- RG3 are on plateaus where they could experience a slump because the were actually good-great rookies. If he has the soph slump you're promoting that means he sucked for another year. He's Gabbert with a different style.

Anyone care to brak down their projections for the Mia passing game and Tannehill?

Who's going to be catching the passes, for how many yes and how many TDs?

I watched more than half of Tannehill's games last year, and think you're pretty far off base on your analysis. Most notably, Gabbert's pocket presence is more comparable to John Beck than Tannehill. Tannehill stands strong in the pocket, and often delivers frozen ropes to his WRs. As a rookie we should expect to see him struggle at times with decision making, especially against talented defenses. If he doesn't show any improvement this year, then your criticisms would have more meaning. As it stands now, a rookie QB had lapses in his decision making, Shocking! Of course he did, but overall his rookie season was quite promising. I find it more likely that you're the one not watching the games, because a Gabbert to Tannehill comparison is night and day imo. You already admitted in a previous thread that you wrote Tannehill off before he ever played a down in the NFL. So, I give your opinion very little weight, especially concerning this topic.
That was because I thought he sucked coming out and wasn't a better prospect than Foles or a gamble on Wilson. I'm pretty sure I won the first round. Make as many excuses for him as you want. Facts remain he didn't return much for the investment. He has a way to go before he's even a bad QB. Keep your fingers crossed and maybe he'll go back to WR. Just because I wasn't optimistic on him to begin with doesn't mean I wouldn't admit being wrong. That would be silly if you play fantasy football. I was the first to mention if he start running he might actually have mediocre upside in FF. That was something I watched as the season went along. So dismiss my opinion if you want, but I'd tell you it's totally objective. Almost every QB gets better their second year. That is a given and I'd expect him to. Luck- Wilson- RG3 are on plateaus where they could experience a slump because the were actually good-great rookies. If he has the soph slump you're promoting that means he sucked for another year. He's Gabbert with a different style.
Slow your roll there buddy just in case you are even a degree off, wow. I watched every snap last season and if you question me being a homer I would invite you to read thru the Miami Dolphins off season thread. The sad part in your debate is there is room for criticism but you went the complete wrong way here.

Tannehill has a gun, its easy to see. he can flick it down field with little effort. He had nobody to stretch the field or throw the football to last season, that's a fact. He was not supposed to start but Garrard went down with an injury, Tannehill was going to be lucky to see the field by mid season. He was thrust out there week 1 and held up most of the season. Most Miami fans were pretty impressed with what they saw. Miami went 7-9 with not much offense.

They went out and added a stretch receiver, added a much better pass catching TE, they have weapons now. The biggest thing you should pounding the table on the OLine. Some are saying this could be bottom 5. I think in pass protection it could be possible. The Tackle spots are Clabo who blocks in a totally different scheme coming over form Atlanta despite being a top 5 rated RT the last few seasons. Martin rolls to Left Tackle and let's all take a knee, genuflect, and say a prayer. I am worried about his pass protection more than anything but he is mobile and can buy time. They have catered the offense to him, has his OC/HC from college, this is the plan for right now an dI don't see Sherman going anywhere.

Oh and he has only been a QB for 3 years including 2 years of college so is it possible he might get better? You can hate him on all you want but your comments as to why you dislike him or questioning people who watched him play, lot of arrogance and self righteousness there. If you are correct then Tannehill will prove you right. I'm not totally sold on him but he is a massive improvement over the crap the Phins have had since Marino.

Ministry of Pain said:
ShaHBucks said:
Shanahanigans said:
ShaHBucks said:
Shanahanigans said:
Slow your roll there buddy just in case you are even a degree off, wow. I watched every snap last season and if you question me being a homer I would invite you to read thru the Miami Dolphins off season thread. The sad part in your debate is there is room for criticism but you went the complete wrong way here. Tannehill has a gun, its easy to see. he can flick it down field with little effort. He had nobody to stretch the field or throw the football to last season, that's a fact. He was not supposed to start but Garrard went down with an injury, Tannehill was going to be lucky to see the field by mid season. He was thrust out there week 1 and held up most of the season. Most Miami fans were pretty impressed with what they saw. Miami went 7-9 with not much offense. They went out and added a stretch receiver, added a much better pass catching TE, they have weapons now. The biggest thing you should pounding the table on the OLine. Some are saying this could be bottom 5. I think in pass protection it could be possible. The Tackle spots are Clabo who blocks in a totally different scheme coming over form Atlanta despite being a top 5 rated RT the last few seasons. Martin rolls to Left Tackle and let's all take a knee, genuflect, and say a prayer. I am worried about his pass protection more than anything but he is mobile and can buy time. They have catered the offense to him, has his OC/HC from college, this is the plan for right now an dI don't see Sherman going anywhere. Oh and he has only been a QB for 3 years including 2 years of college so is it possible he might get better? You can hate him on all you want but your comments as to why you dislike him or questioning people who watched him play, lot of arrogance and self righteousness there. If you are correct then Tannehill will prove you right. I'm not totally sold on him but he is a massive improvement over the crap the Phins have had since Marino.
You watched him play and you're not totally sold. That I can understand completely. What I don't get is anyone that watched him and are jumping all over him. And blaming his teammates are like the old Leon commercials. Russell Wilson probably had close to the same amout of talent to throw to. Nick Foles had a backup O-Line, backup WR's, backup RB, terrible defense, and a lame-duck coach if I want to make excuses. It's nice to see a young QB play the same team twice. Just to see how they adjust to how teams are game planning for them. That's where the improvement comes in at. I watched Wilson vs STL and SF twice. To say he made strides is an understatement. Then I watched Foles vs Was and Dal the both times around. Those guys stop looking like rookies under the same circumstances. Tanne was still making the same mistakes. For your sake I hope I'm wrong.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77401/dolphins-otas-cb-brent-grimes-shines

Dolphins OTAs: CB Brent Grimes shines

Excerpt:

Dolphins second-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill also was sharp on Tuesday. He had several big throws to Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace and also made routine plays underneath. It’s early, but I’m seeing a difference in the command of the offense and the speed of Tannehill’s progressions. He knows where to go with the football. At least two times in team drills, Tannehill’s reads weren’t open and he quickly threw the ball away. Last year he may have thrown an interception in that scenario. Keller was impressed with Tannehill’s first practice. “You would think a guy who used to play wide receiver, the best thing he does is run the ball,” Keller said. “But he puts the ball right on the money and he’s a good decision-maker, as well.”

Slow your roll there buddy just in case you are even a degree off, wow. I watched every snap last season and if you question me being a homer I would invite you to read thru the Miami Dolphins off season thread. The sad part in your debate is there is room for criticism but you went the complete wrong way here. Tannehill has a gun, its easy to see. he can flick it down field with little effort. He had nobody to stretch the field or throw the football to last season, that's a fact. He was not supposed to start but Garrard went down with an injury, Tannehill was going to be lucky to see the field by mid season. He was thrust out there week 1 and held up most of the season. Most Miami fans were pretty impressed with what they saw. Miami went 7-9 with not much offense. They went out and added a stretch receiver, added a much better pass catching TE, they have weapons now. The biggest thing you should pounding the table on the OLine. Some are saying this could be bottom 5. I think in pass protection it could be possible. The Tackle spots are Clabo who blocks in a totally different scheme coming over form Atlanta despite being a top 5 rated RT the last few seasons. Martin rolls to Left Tackle and let's all take a knee, genuflect, and say a prayer. I am worried about his pass protection more than anything but he is mobile and can buy time. They have catered the offense to him, has his OC/HC from college, this is the plan for right now an dI don't see Sherman going anywhere. Oh and he has only been a QB for 3 years including 2 years of college so is it possible he might get better? You can hate him on all you want but your comments as to why you dislike him or questioning people who watched him play, lot of arrogance and self righteousness there. If you are correct then Tannehill will prove you right. I'm not totally sold on him but he is a massive improvement over the crap the Phins have had since Marino.
You watched him play and you're not totally sold. That I can understand completely. What I don't get is anyone that watched him and are jumping all over him. And blaming his teammates are like the old Leon commercials. Russell Wilson probably had close to the same amout of talent to throw to. Nick Foles had a backup O-Line, backup WR's, backup RB, terrible defense, and a lame-duck coach if I want to make excuses. It's nice to see a young QB play the same team twice. Just to see how they adjust to how teams are game planning for them. That's where the improvement comes in at. I watched Wilson vs STL and SF twice. To say he made strides is an understatement. Then I watched Foles vs Was and Dal the both times around. Those guys stop looking like rookies under the same circumstances. Tanne was still making the same mistakes. For your sake I hope I'm wrong.
No one on the Dolphins was even close to as talented Rice, and Tate is an upgrade over Hartline in my eyes. Not to mention the Dolphins didn't have near the the running game to keep safeties and linebackers honest compared to the Seahawks. Also add into the fact that Miami was forced to throw to try come back in games and defenses knew it, for the most part Seattle was in all their games and defenses had to play the run and pass.

Ryan Tannehill-led Miami Dolphins primed for big offensive year

By Bucky Brooks

Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

The New England Patriots have owned the AFC East for the better part of a decade, but this could be the year the Miami Dolphins supplant Tom Brady and Co. atop the division. Jeff Ireland and Joe Philbin have assembled an offense with the potential to match points with the Pats, simultaneously unnerving the rest of the AFC.

How will the Dolphins' offense emerge as an elite unit after suffering through an embarrassing performance a year ago? I've spent time studying Philbin's squad and present three reasons why Miami is ready to make a run in 2013:

1) Ryan Tannehill is on the verge of stardom.In discussions about the 2012 quarterback class, the focus typically centers on Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. If 2012 is any indication, Ryan Tannehill will be included in the conversation soon. Although his modest numbers (58.3 completion percentage, 3,294 pass yards, 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions) don't necessarily pop off the stat sheet, the film study reveals an impact player ready to break out.

Checking in at 6-foot-4, 222 pounds with 4.58 speed, Tannehill is a new-school quarterback with arm talent and athleticism. He can make every throw in the book with zip and velocity, while also displaying above-average ball placement and accuracy on most throws. Most importantly, he shows better poise, anticipation and pocket awareness than many scouts expected, based on his limited experience at Texas A&M (19 collegiate starts).

Tannehill should be even better in 2013 with a better understanding of the pro game after 16 regular-season starts. Tannehill now has a thorough understanding of various route concepts, which will allow him to work through his progressions quickly and exploit the vulnerable areas of coverage. This will result in a higher completion percentage, as he begins to target the second and third options, instead of forcing the ball to his primary target. By settling for the check-down when deeper routes are covered, Tannehill can continue to keep the offense on schedule.

In the run game, Tannehill's maturation will lead to better pre-snap decisions. He will be able to check and adjust the play based on the alignment of the defensive front, making sure the Dolphins are running away from the strength of the defense. This will help running back Lamar Miller find more running room between the tackles, which in turn will create big-play opportunities in the passing game off play-action.

Additionally, look for the Dolphins to incorporate some of the zone-read concepts that added an element of explosiveness to several NFL offenses a season ago. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman sparingly used the zone-read at Texas A&M with Tannehill at quarterback and has openly discussed flirting with the concept throughout the offseason. Last season, the Dolphins called it a few times to take advantage of Tannehill's running skills, which can be seen in the video clip to the right. On the play, Tannehill cleverly fakes the ball to the runner before keeping it and racing around the end for a 31-yard gain.

2) The Dolphins' receiving corps is loaded with explosive playmakers.After struggling to score points consistently a season ago, the Dolphins made a concerted effort in the offseason to add playmakers. Ireland opened the checkbook to bring in Mike Wallace, Brandon Gibson and Dustin Keller, three veterans who have accounted for 58 total touchdowns in their careers. These are significant additions for an offense that only scored 28 touchdowns in 2012, including just 11 after Week 9.

Mike Wallace: He has been one of the most prolific big-play threats in the NFL since entering the league in 2009 as a third-round pick from Ole Miss. He enters the season averaging an astonishing 17.2 yards per catch on 235 career receptions, with 32 touchdowns. Most impressively, he has amassed 67 receptions of 20-plus yards, including 27 catches of at least 40 yards.

While those numbers are certainly eye-popping, it is the speed and explosiveness Wallace displays that truly scares defensive coordinators. The fifth-year pro clocked a 4.33 40 at the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine, and he routinely displays that burst by blowing past defenders on vertical routes. This can be seen in the video clip to the right. Remarkably, Wallace streaks past the defender without using a set-up move to create separation. With Wallace's ability to simply run past defenders on sheer speed, the Dolphins are suddenly a threat to score from anywhere on the field.

Brandon Gibson: He was one of the most underrated pass catchers on the free-agent market, but scouts have been closely watching the fifth-year pro develop into a big-play threat. Last season, Gibson produced 43 first downs on 51 receptions and impressed evaluators with his ability to get open against tight coverage.

Gibson is a masterful runner with an outstanding combination of balance, body control and short-area quickness. He excels at setting up defenders at the top of his routes and uses those same skills to whip defenders at the line of scrimmage against press coverage. In the video clip to the right, he showcases his impressive release skills by stutter-stepping at the line to slip past the defender on a fade route. Gibson's craftiness at the line is the key to winning the route, and a major reason why the Dolphins wanted to add him as a third-down specialist.

Dustin Keller: In today's NFL, offensive coordinators covet big, athletic tight ends with the speed to make plays down the middle of the field. Keller fits the mold. Measuring 6-2, 250 pounds, Keller is too big for nickel cornerbacks and too fast for linebackers and safeties. As a result, defensive coordinators have struggled containing him between the hashes.

In five seasons with the New York Jets, Keller converted 61.8 percent of his receptions into first downs and found the end zone 17 times. This is the kind of production that the Dolphins have desperately needed over the middle, particularly with a young quarterback looking for a security blanket. The Dolphins hope Keller can quickly build a rapport with Tannehill.

3) Lamar Miller is the NFL's best-kept secret.Some were surprised the Dolphins didn't make a stronger play to keep Reggie Bush after his contract expired at season's end. But I believe Lamar Miller will show the football world the team was wise to move on when he steps into the starting lineup this fall.

I believe Miller is a Clinton Portis clone, with the tools to be a dominant runner in the NFL. He has the speed to turn the corner on outside runs, while also displaying the toughness to pick up the hard yards between the tackles. Additionally, he possesses the elusiveness to make defenders miss in the open field on the way to big gains.

When I evaluated Miller coming out of college, I ranked him as the third-best runner in the 2012 class and gave him a late first-round grade. Although he inexplicably slid into the fourth round, I still believe he is a special back, based on the glimpses he displayed as a rookie. In the video to the right, Miller shows the combination of vision, balance and burst that caught my attention. He has exceptional stop-start quickness, which makes him tough to tackle in the hole. With the Dolphins set to use more three-receiver formations to spread the field, Miller's talents as an all-around runner could shine in Miami this season.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

Setting expectations for Ryan Tannehill

By James Walker | ESPN.com

DAVIE, Fla. -- NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino showed up to Miami Dolphins' minicamp on Wednesday. There was no major announcement or holding court with the media. Marino simply arrived, kept close tabs on second-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the offense, then quietly left about two hours into practice.

Marino's mere presence was symbolic of the pressure Tannehill faces in Miami. No Dolphins quarterback has come close to filling the large shoes of Marino after he retired after the 1999 season. Miami’s quarterbacks in this millennium have either been awful (Cleo Lemon, Joey Harrington), former draft busts (Chad Henne, John Beck) or caretakers who couldn’t consistently take over games (Chad Pennington, Jay Fiedler).

But something appears different about Tannehill. He is more Marino than Harrington in arm strength and physical ability. The 2012 first-round pick was also taken higher than Henne, but you don’t get that same feeling of bust potential. Unlike Fiedler, Tannehill has already demonstrated that he can take over a game and explode for 400 yards, as he did in September in an overtime loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

But what are realistic expectations for Tannehill in Year 2? Fellow rookies Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson each led their teams to the playoffs last season. Tannehill showed promise but was a couple of notches behind his peers. He threw for 3,294 yards but had more interceptions (13) than touchdowns (12). Tannehill also had a losing record (7-9) and was left on the outside looking in during the postseason.

However, the Dolphins are showing the same confidence in Tannehill that the Indianapolis Colts are showing with Luck or the Washington Redskins are with RG III. More than anything, Miami’s coaching staff said, they love Tannehill’s work ethic and mental approach. Combine that with Tannehill’s athleticism and ability to make all the throws, and the Dolphins believe the sky is the limit for their young quarterback.

“One thing about Ryan is he never gets too high and he never gets too low,” Miami quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor told the AFC East blog this week. “Last year things never got too big for him. It’s not that he never made mistakes -- there were drives and stretches here and there. But I don’t think it ever got too big where he totally broke down, and that’s encouraging for a rookie quarterback. With all the looks that he saw, I thought he handled it pretty well.”

Taylor was a former assistant coach at Texas A&M and has been around Tannehill since he was 19. Taylor watched Tannehill, 24, grow from a redshirt freshman who played receiver his first two years in college to an NFL quarterback with high expectations. According to Taylor, Tannehill is much more comfortable in his position as a building block in Miami.

It was noticeable in organized team activities and minicamp that Tannehill is in control of the offense. He’s more vocal with teammates and has a quiet confidence that this is his team.

Miami is in search of leaders after several veterans like Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett were released or didn’t return in free agency. Tannehill is one of the young, inexperienced players who must fill that void.

“It’s night and day compared to last year,” Tannehill said of his standing on the team. “Just the confidence and the knowledge of the game and what is going on. I still have a lot of work to do, but I am comfortable with where I am at and where this team is at. Anything we can do to get better, myself included, it’s easier to build this year compared to last year.”

Tannehill has all the tools to succeed this year. The Dolphins have put together as nurturing an environment as possible to ensure Tannehill takes the next step in his development. Miami spent $60 million to land free-agent receiver Mike Wallace and an additional $15 million total to land starting tight end Dustin Keller and slot receiver Brandon Gibson. Tannehill now has deep speed at receiver and a safety valve at tight end that he lacked last season. The Dolphins were 26th in passing in 2012 and scored only 18 points per game.

If minicamp is any indication, the Dolphins will not be afraid to air it out this year. Tannehill is taking his shots deep and throwing the football all over the field in practices. Tannehill is also routinely making more checks and changes at the line of scrimmage to get out of bad plays, an area where he struggled in 2012.

“He can see a safety start to creep up or lean a certain way, or a linebacker's depth from the line of scrimmage from the heels of his defensive lineman,” Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said. “Determining whether we turn and protect there or do we go the other way because that guy is in coverage, which I think [is] more recognition of defenses. ... We threw the book at him last year in the hopes that he would get to a point where we are at right now, where now he is just focused and not so much on the offense but on the defense.”

It also doesn’t hurt that Sherman and Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin know what a talented quarterback looks like. They have coached future Hall of Famers Brett Favre (Sherman) and Aaron Rodgers (Philbin) during their stints with the Green Bay Packers and know how to make it easy for quarterbacks. The fact that they both view Tannehill as a franchise starter carries a lot of weight.

“They’re able to relate those experiences with Ryan and the struggles [Favre and Rodgers] had and the success they were eventually able to achieve,” Taylor said. “So they’ve kind of seen the step-by-step process those guys took and [are] able to use that to relate it to Ryan.”

The Dolphins are going all-in with Tannehill, and much is expected this season. On paper, Miami looks like a team ready to make a playoff push in 2013, and much of that will come down to Tannehill’s development and improvement.

Tannehill may not get the same press and national attention as other quarterbacks in his draft class, but his goals are the same.

“Ryan wants to win Super Bowls at the end of the day,” Taylor said. “I do think he has a long ways to go right now. He knows that. So every day he’s just trying to become a better player, and be better than the day before and don’t make the same mistake twice.

“What that ceiling is, it’s hard to predict. Time will tell.”

Users who are viewing this thread