What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen (1 Viewer)

chinawildman

Footballguy
Vereen came out of nowhere to start week7 (though was 3rd in total snaps played behind woodhead and ridley) but still got 9 touches and 60 yds. Afterwards Belichek insinuated that Vereen's PT will increase regardless of injuries to other guys. But is this just coachspeak from the next master of confusion by committee?

Things that Vereen has going for him are that he was a 2nd round pick last yr, apparently ran with the first team during OTAs, and has looked like a more complete back than Ridley in what limited time he has been healthy. If he's over the injuries, I think it's possible he makes a Demaryius Thomas-like surge in the 2nd half of this season. THe problem is that he has been on the shelf for so long that very little is known about the guy and his place on the team.

Any insight here Pats homers?

Vereen came out of nowhere to start week7 (though was 3rd in total snaps played behind woodhead and ridley) but still got 9 touches and 60 yds. Afterwards Belichek insinuated that Vereen's PT will increase regardless of injuries to other guys. But is this just coachspeak from the next master of confusion by committee?Things that Vereen has going for him are that he was a 2nd round pick last yr, apparently ran with the first team during OTAs, and has looked like a more complete back than Ridley in what limited time he has been healthy. If he's over the injuries, I think it's possible he makes a Demaryius Thomas-like surge in the 2nd half of this season. THe problem is that he has been on the shelf for so long that very little is known about the guy and his place on the team. Any insight here Pats homers?
Wait, Vereen started last week? Did he play the first series? This is the first I've heard of this.

Vereen came out of nowhere to start week7 (though was 3rd in total snaps played behind woodhead and ridley) but still got 9 touches and 60 yds. Afterwards Belichek insinuated that Vereen's PT will increase regardless of injuries to other guys. But is this just coachspeak from the next master of confusion by committee?Things that Vereen has going for him are that he was a 2nd round pick last yr, apparently ran with the first team during OTAs, and has looked like a more complete back than Ridley in what limited time he has been healthy. If he's over the injuries, I think it's possible he makes a Demaryius Thomas-like surge in the 2nd half of this season. THe problem is that he has been on the shelf for so long that very little is known about the guy and his place on the team. Any insight here Pats homers?
Wait, Vereen started last week? Did he play the first series? This is the first I've heard of this.
New England Patriots at 15:002-N.Folk kicks 72 yards from NYJ 35 to NE -7. 32-D.McCourty, Touchback.1-10-NE 20(15:00) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 34-S.Vereen pushed ob at NE 30 for 10 yards (56-D.Davis).1-10-NE 30(14:47) (No Huddle) 34-S.Vereen left end pushed ob at NE 44 for 14 yards (30-L.Landry).1-10-NE 44(14:35) (No Huddle) 34-S.Vereen left end to NE 45 for 1 yard (56-D.Davis).2-9-NE 45http://www.necn.com/10/22/12/Belichick-Vereen-can-build-on-surprise-s/landing_world.html?blockID=791989&tagID=9226

I saw this on Twitter posted. Good stuff. (And Yes I'm a Vereen Dyn owner, only cause Bloom has told me over and over again to keep him and be patient.)

John Paulsen ‏@4for4_John

Shane Vereen got the start but Ridley out-touched him 17 to 9. Vereen better YPC (6.1 vs. 3.8). Be prepared, Ridley owners.

New England Patriots at 15:002-N.Folk kicks 72 yards from NYJ 35 to NE -7. 32-D.McCourty, Touchback.1-10-NE 20(15:00) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 34-S.Vereen pushed ob at NE 30 for 10 yards (56-D.Davis).1-10-NE 30(14:47) (No Huddle) 34-S.Vereen left end pushed ob at NE 44 for 14 yards (30-L.Landry).1-10-NE 44(14:35) (No Huddle) 34-S.Vereen left end to NE 45 for 1 yard (56-D.Davis).2-9-NE 45http://www.necn.com/10/22/12/Belichick-Vereen-can-build-on-surprise-s/landing_world.html?blockID=791989&tagID=9226
Very interesting. Thanks. Any idea why Ridley got more touches than Vereen the rest of the game?

Yeah he started and looked damn good, he's looks to be over his foot injury. It's funny how quick we forget Vereen was a second round pick and a favorite to lead this backfield coming into the season. I've already stashed this dude in half of my leagues as he's clearly the most versatile back on the roster.

It's odd, I feel like I was the only one targeting Vereen and Tanner this week. Anyway, some quotes..

Coach Bill Belichick suggested that Shane Vereen has moved up the depth chart regardless of Brandon Bolden's (knee) health going forward.

"Hopefully he'll get more opportunities, because I think he can contribute for us," said Belichick. "More of it is, Shane being healthy and Shane being ready to go, than waiting for something to happen to somebody else. It's more a case of him really being able to go out there and being the player that he is." As the satellite-back complement to Stevan Ridley, Vereen should be owned in 12-team fantasy leagues. We would rather roster him than La'Rod Stephens-Howling this week
Coach Bill Belichick suggested that RB Shane Vereen is ideally used as a "space" player as opposed to a high-volume interior runner who can sustain a rushing attack.

"He's an elusive guy -- he's got good balance, plenty of strength for his size," said Belichick. "[He’s] not the biggest guy, but plenty of strength; he gives us some versatility there. I think he's able to run inside, run in some traffic, but he's a good space player, on the edge and in the passing game." Vereen is more of a complementary back as opposed to a threat to Stevan Ridley's carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. Thanks. Any idea why Ridley got more touches than Vereen the rest of the game?
Got to ease him in somehow. Remember, Vereen was picked up before Ridley in the 2011 NFL draft. Anyways, Vereen may be a viable start after their BYE week... BUF, IND.

Good luck guessing which RB will get the most production in NE.

I knew sticking with Ridley was a mistake and should have traded him weeks ago. DAMNIT. Watch this week I'll bench him and he'll go off for 80 yds and 2 td.

Good luck guessing which RB will get the most production in NE.I knew sticking with Ridley was a mistake and should have traded him weeks ago. DAMNIT. Watch this week I'll bench him and he'll go off for 80 yds and 2 td.
Vereen is Kevin Faulk 2.0. I don't see him becoming the starter as long as Ridley is healthy.

Yeah he started and looked damn good, he's looks to be over his foot injury. It's funny how quick we forget Vereen was a second round pick and a favorite to lead this backfield coming into the season. I've already stashed this dude in half of my leagues as he's clearly the most versatile back on the roster.

It's odd, I feel like I was the only one targeting Vereen and Tanner this week. Anyway, some quotes..

Coach Bill Belichick suggested that Shane Vereen has moved up the depth chart regardless of Brandon Bolden's (knee) health going forward.

"Hopefully he'll get more opportunities, because I think he can contribute for us," said Belichick. "More of it is, Shane being healthy and Shane being ready to go, than waiting for something to happen to somebody else. It's more a case of him really being able to go out there and being the player that he is." As the satellite-back complement to Stevan Ridley, Vereen should be owned in 12-team fantasy leagues. We would rather roster him than La'Rod Stephens-Howling this week
Coach Bill Belichick suggested that RB Shane Vereen is ideally used as a "space" player as opposed to a high-volume interior runner who can sustain a rushing attack.

"He's an elusive guy -- he's got good balance, plenty of strength for his size," said Belichick. "[He’s] not the biggest guy, but plenty of strength; he gives us some versatility there. I think he's able to run inside, run in some traffic, but he's a good space player, on the edge and in the passing game." Vereen is more of a complementary back as opposed to a threat to Stevan Ridley's carries.
You're not the only one watching, but they're both RB3s on their own team so far. If this is redraft, exactly how much time could each have left to play a major role? I went with LSH and handcuffs instead.eta* I live in Pats territory, and while it doesn't make me an expert by any means, Vereen in redraft is a total dice game, not just in depth chart terms, but in weekly touches even if that depth gets achieved.

I think it will be a full on 50/50 split after the bye. I just got rid of Ridley for Mike Wallace and kept Vereen. Ridley has been in the doghouse since that fumble

I know this: everyone seems to be sleeping on Vereen.

In all three of the leagues I play in I snapped up vereen w no problem. I have Ridley in two of those. Whoever is the Patriots main back is worth having.

I think if you own Ridley you have to back up your investment and if you don't Vereen represents a good investment on a cheap flier.

Dropped Powell for him.

I have 8 rbs and none worth a damn. Stewart dwill Dwyer hillman Ingram hillis Starks vereen. Yeah, rough year, csb. Keep y'all posted.

You're not the only one watching, but they're both RB3s on their own team so far. If this is redraft, exactly how much time could each have left to play a major role? I went with LSH and handcuffs instead.eta* I live in Pats territory, and while it doesn't make me an expert by any means, Vereen in redraft is a total dice game, not just in depth chart terms, but in weekly touches even if that depth gets achieved.
Admittedly, I think Tanner has a much better shot at being consistently relevant. Murray's injury may linger and Felix can survive maybe two or three 15+ touch workloads before being sidelined. But that's for another thread..As for Vereen, he's purely a high upside, speculative stash. I was legitimately impressed by how he ran last week. It was like he was shot out of a cannon and it took me by surprise. If there's any substance to what BB said (I know, pretty impossible to read) and NE plans to expand on Vereen's 9 touches, I think he's worth the stash. Plus, as someone eluded to earlier, NE is faces three soft rush defenses when they come out of their bye (IND, BUF, NYJ). If he catches fire, you'll want to be the one owning him.

Admittedly, I think Tanner has a much better shot at being consistently relevant. Murray's injury may linger and Felix can survive maybe two or three 15+ touch workloads before being sidelined. But that's for another thread..As for Vereen, he's purely a high upside, speculative stash. I was legitimately impressed by how he ran last week. It was like he was shot out of a cannon and it took me by surprise. If there's any substance to what BB said (I know, pretty impossible to read) and NE plans to expand on Vereen's 9 touches, I think he's worth the stash. Plus, as someone eluded to earlier, NE is faces three soft rush defenses when they come out of their bye (IND, BUF, NYJ). If he catches fire, you'll want to be the one owning him.
I've liked Vereen since last year for this one, but it just hasn't happened. I'd rather have less variance in any guy I start at RB because I've already got Morris and LeShoure there to suck up the bulk of carries for their team. As with everything here -- and this is why I don't mind people posting what they're doing or what their lineup/league make-up is like -- YMMV. Right now, I'll carry Joique Bell over Vereen and LSH/Wells over something else.*eta: also, if Vereen had been healthy all year I'd be more comfortable about him and his uncertain role than a one-week-and-go thing.

'SameSongNDance said:
'rockaction said:
'SameSongNDance said:

The bolded quotes is why I want no part of Vereen. He's getting a lot of usage now, but only because Logan Mankins is hurt. Once Mankins is back, the Pats will go back to a more power rushing attack. When healthy, they are much better at that than they are at going round the edge.

I've been waiting and waiting for Vereen, but until he can push Danny flipping Woodhead off the field on 3rd downs, I will bide my time.

Even if Vereen continues to move up the pecking order, it's going to be aggravating every week seeing the variability in his touches. Unfortunately, it's going to require a lot of injuries (like BJGE benefited from a few years ago) for Vereen to have the keys to the castle in that running game.

Is he worth owning over handcuffs like Mike Goodson, Hillis, Hunter, Hillman, etc? If he's going to be splitting reps going forward, then it makes for a very interesting situation.

'cstu said:
'kinghill said:
Good luck guessing which RB will get the most production in NE.I knew sticking with Ridley was a mistake and should have traded him weeks ago. DAMNIT. Watch this week I'll bench him and he'll go off for 80 yds and 2 td.
Vereen is Kevin Faulk 2.0. I don't seem him becoming the starter as long as Ridley is healthy.
This.Huge Patriots homer here. I like Vereen just as much as the next guy, but for all of you saying Vereen is the more talented back, you're crazy. Ridley still had more touches last week and watching these two guys over the past 2 seasons its easy enough to see that Ridley is the one with more skills. If BB used Ridley like he did the first few games I could see him being a top 5 RB right now. I even think Bolden is better than Vereen believe it or not.

I agree it will be difficult to predict when Vereen's going to put up respectable stats. Still I think he's worth holding as a trade chip to be moved immediately following his potential breakout game.

Picked him up in all my leagues where he was available. Buying it. Based on just how many plays that offense has been running, I think if 90% of the snaps go to just 2 RB's, there is room for both Vereen and Ridley to be rb2's.

'cstu said:
'kinghill said:
Vereen is Kevin Faulk 2.0. I don't seem him becoming the starter as long as Ridley is healthy.
This.Huge Patriots homer here. I like Vereen just as much as the next guy, but for all of you saying Vereen is the more talented back, you're crazy. Ridley still had more touches last week and watching these two guys over the past 2 seasons its easy enough to see that Ridley is the one with more skills. If BB used Ridley like he did the first few games I could see him being a top 5 RB right now. I even think Bolden is better than Vereen believe it or not.
Definitely thanks for the input but if I may quibble: hasn't Vereen been injured on and off for most of those two years so a true comparison hasn't been possible, right?

'cstu said:
'kinghill said:
It depends on if you equate talent with versatility. No one can deny Vereen is a more versatile back than Ridley, Woodhead and especially Bolden.Ridley has very good vision and excels in between the tackles. Woodhead is the speedy no-huddle specialist with good hands. Vereen is a bit of both.Also, Faulk was catching 50 balls with ease on down swing of his career. I think Vereen is a bit more potent than a 30 year old Kevin Faulk.Lastly, the previous poster brought up a good point. NE is running 80-90 offensive snaps a week. If any backfield can provide ample opportunity for several heads, it'd be NE's. Vereen only saw 17 snaps (22%) and 9 touches last week and totaled 60 yards. I'm curious to what he can do if this turns into a timeshare, especially with their upcoming schedule.

All of the NE RB are off the table for me. It is a total crap shoot every week. Totally frustrating. Bolden, Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen, picking up Kevin Faulk again.

Little Bill is getting to be as bad as the Rat.

Little Bill is getting to be as bad as the Rat.
For all the longstanding talk about Shanahanigans, Belicheck is much worse. Shanahan uses one guy until he gets hurt or fumbles the job away.
:goodposting: When Shanny has had a healthy guy he likes, he has gone with him, alah Morris this year. Glad I took a chance on him in 2 of 3 leagues. I may see what I have on my bench for Vereen. I think I have Bolden in one on the bench and I'd rather take a flyer on Vereen breaking out.

When Shanny has had a healthy guy he likes, he has gone with him, alah Morris this year. Glad I took a chance on him in 2 of 3 leagues. I may see what I have on my bench for Vereen. I think I have Bolden in one on the bench and I'd rather take a flyer on Vereen breaking out.
I agree with the Shanny assessment 100%. once he finds a RB he likes, he actually sticks with him till he messes up. That being said, I still think I'd rather have Vereen than Bolden, but how would you view/rank the current backups (Hillman, Bolden, Daryl Richardson, Turbin, Reece, Bell, etc...) compared to Vereen for the rest of the year?

If you are counting on one of the Pats RB's in your lineup... you are likely just donating to your league. Look elsewhere and sell Ridley while he still has some value.

If you are counting on one of the Pats RB's in your lineup... you are likely just donating to your league. Look elsewhere and sell Ridley while he still has some value.
Amazing insight, too bad were all just stashing him as a RB5. What gave you even the slightest impression that anyone was actually counting on him as a starter?

'cstu said:
'kinghill said:
Good luck guessing which RB will get the most production in NE.

I knew sticking with Ridley was a mistake and should have traded him weeks ago. DAMNIT. Watch this week I'll bench him and he'll go off for 80 yds and 2 td.
Do you attend Patriots practices or something? Vereen has 25 total touches in two seasons and has not stepped on the field (due to injury) in 16 out of 25 possible Patriots games and has only touched the ball in 5 of a possible 25 games (two of which were only one touch). When and where have you watched Vereen over the past two seasons to make any conclusions about him/his talent?

I would think those that watched him over the course of his career at Cal would have a better understanding of Vereen's skills than the average Pats fan that doesn't attend practices and, thus, has only seen him touch the ball a handful of times over 5 games.

'SameSongNDance said:
'rockaction said:
'SameSongNDance said:

I've liked Vereen since last year for this one, but it just hasn't happened. I'd rather have less variance in any guy I start at RB because I've already got Morris and LeShoure there to suck up the bulk of carries for their team. As with everything here -- and this is why I don't mind people posting what they're doing or what their lineup/league make-up is like -- YMMV. Right now, I'll carry Joique Bell over Vereen and LSH/Wells over something else.*eta: also, if Vereen had been healthy all year I'd be more comfortable about him and his uncertain role than a one-week-and-go thing.
I think the other thing that can make things murky; not so much for this week but for after the bye, is Branden Bolden is still on this team. He was producing quite well with the workload he was given and while he is banged up now, 3 games missed and then a bye he could be healthy and ready to go week 10. Then where do his carries come from? Ridley and Vereen since Woodhead still has his role carved out for him unless they decide to phase him out knowing he likely won't be with the team next year and Vereen if he can pass block fills his role.

Yeah people have been crowing this pretty much all season. Yet for those who have started Ridley they have gotten low end RB1 numbers so far. Staying away from the situation isn't the answer. Ridley is getting good carries every week. If you took him in the 6th or later you have gotten your money's worth and then some.

great advice from the guys who said stay away from Redskins and Patriots RBs, they totally whiffed on #6 and #11 RB for insane value

Not sure whats to see here. Eventhough Vereen started last week Woodhead and Ridley both saw more snaps. I guess if you dont mind a lot of anxiety go for it but I just cant trust the Patriots play calling to get this guy the opportunity he needs.

'footballnerd said:
Indy and buf are coming up :popcorn:
thisi'm stashing him in the hopes that during the week 10 byes (Green Bay), he'll get more touches especially against these poor defenses

Not sure whats to see here. Eventhough Vereen started last week Woodhead and Ridley both saw more snaps. I guess if you dont mind a lot of anxiety go for it but I just cant trust the Patriots play calling to get this guy the opportunity he needs.
This was essentially Vereen's first game of the season. What were you expecting exactly?

This was essentially Vereen's first game of the season. What were you expecting exactly?
I just meant its going to be tough regardless for Vereen to see consistent opportunity with the play calling and personnel in NE.

It's time. I just dropped Joique Bell for him (own LeShoure, AlMo, D. Brown, and LSH and Wells to cover my ###). I want in on this.

Got to ease him in somehow. Remember, Vereen was picked up before Ridley in the 2011 NFL draft. Anyways, Vereen may be a viable start after their BYE week... BUF, IND.
This is one of the most overstated facts I see in the SP. I've got both in some redrafts and neither in any long term leagues, so I've got no bias, but it doesn't matter anymore that Vereen was a few picks ahead of Ridley one and a half seasons ago. That is absolutely no longer a factor. I know Vereen owners would like to read into this as a sign of hope, but I think a rational, objective observer would throw this out. I mean, they weren't even half a round apart. From here on out, it is simply going to boil down to how they play and how they perform. Personally, I like Vereen's talent. I like both of them in this offense despite them having different skill sets. I really think that going forward they will limit each other's upside. If I were the Patriots, I would not have a game where their touch ratio ever exceeded 2:1 in either direction.

This is one of the most overstated facts I see in the SP. I've got both in some redrafts and neither in any long term leagues, so I've got no bias, but it doesn't matter anymore that Vereen was a few picks ahead of Ridley one and a half seasons ago. That is absolutely no longer a factor. I know Vereen owners would like to read into this as a sign of hope, but I think a rational, objective observer would throw this out. I mean, they weren't even half a round apart. From here on out, it is simply going to boil down to how they play and how they perform.
:goodposting: Wouldn't even matter if Ridley was undrafted and Vereen was a 2nd rounder. That's a sunk cost - it's what they do on the field now that matters.

This is one of the most overstated facts I see in the SP. I've got both in some redrafts and neither in any long term leagues, so I've got no bias, but it doesn't matter anymore that Vereen was a few picks ahead of Ridley one and a half seasons ago. That is absolutely no longer a factor. I know Vereen owners would like to read into this as a sign of hope, but I think a rational, objective observer would throw this out. I mean, they weren't even half a round apart. From here on out, it is simply going to boil down to how they play and how they perform. Personally, I like Vereen's talent. I like both of them in this offense despite them having different skill sets. I really think that going forward they will limit each other's upside. If I were the Patriots, I would not have a game where their touch ratio ever exceeded 2:1 in either direction.
Agreeded, don't really see the correlation between who was picked 1st.

I think the question that needs to be asked is "what is the realistic expectation for Vereen once he is healthy and playing?" I think it's timeshare city over there. Belichick even stated as much when he was asked why they haven't had a producer like Corey Dillon since Dillon retired. The answer was along the lines of "We haven't had a back here that is in Dillon's class." Reading between the lines this tells me that he views all the current stable as bit players and not workhorses. Taking that a step further tells me that you are going to get scattershot production from week to week. He might get 20 carries and 8 catches this week, then 4 carries and 1 catch next week. He could easily put up a 20 point PPR week followed by a goose egg. It's Russian roulette with this backfield until it isn't. Which is to say that eventually he's going to find his Alfred Morris and ride him...until he doesn't....lol.

Good luck .... all that said I have Vereen starting this week :excited: .

Users who are viewing this thread