What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen (1 Viewer)

Not trolling at all. Sorry you feel that way.

It's not cherry picking, either. There is no selective picking and choosing of facts. When I mention Thomas has a coach who regularly puts a RB in position to catch 70 passes and Vereen has a coach who has never put a RB in position to catch 70 passes it is a fact that has nothing to do with the list. But it is a fact.
really?

a FACT?

reid, trestman, and payton have all bucked this list you chronicled above, but vereen getting a target every 4.3 snaps is what --- just pure random chance over a 10 game sample?

*Last season counts very heavily in that for me as well with all the problems in the passing game from multiple rookie WRs and injuries across the board coupled with Ridley being sent to the bench for fumbling which created a very good situation for Vereen to step into the breech.
what's ridley got to do with it?

he doesn't catch balls --- that's blount subbing in for him when he's in the doghouse.

vereen did all his damage last year in ppr on half the snaps --- somebody's gettin' that other half.

just like p thomas and sproles don't get every snap.

edit:

And BTW going back to the list 7 of the non Sean Payton coached backs to hit 82 targets were coached by Andy Reid. How can you say that is not a coaching trend for those two?
where did I say that?

you might not have a point with your trestman observation, but I did.
Yes it is a fact. Why does that bother you?

I never called Vereen's target numbers anything, nor did I discount them. You seem to be willing to bank on that trend but then for some reason get bothered when I point out that coaches like Payton, Reid & Trestman have a history of targeting their RBs heavily and BB does not. While worthy of paying attention to I don't think a 10 game sample is as compelling of a trend as 31 combined years. It might hold for Vereen this season but I am much more comfortable banking on Pierre Thomas to hit 70 receptions under Payton then Vereen under BB. You act like that is flawed logic but I am not quite sure why.

Vereen didn't seem to come up as big in the games Ridley was the lead back, it's a small sample size so I am not sure how to interpret that just yet. But so many things went wonky for the Pats offense last season with the new and inexperienced receivers to go along with the multiple injuries that it is difficult to draw any conclusions from that as to what will happen this season. Why are you so confident that Vereen's 4.3 snaps/target will hold true this season?

And I did have a point with my Trestman observation it's in parenthesis immediately following. To be clear, if you followed Trestman's coaching history it was reasonable to expect that Forte would be heavily utilized in the passing game.

Perhaps I am misreading your posts but you seem to have a big problem when I point out trends that hold over multiple seasons and put less stock in those that haven't held over even one full season. But then you seem to put a great deal of stock in the latter.

It's not cherry picking, either. There is no selective picking and choosing of facts. When I mention Thomas has a coach who regularly puts a RB in position to catch 70 passes and Vereen has a coach who has never put a RB in position to catch 70 passes it is a fact that has nothing to do with the list. But it is a fact.
really?

a FACT?

reid, trestman, and payton have all bucked this list you chronicled above, but vereen getting a target every 4.3 snaps is what --- just pure random chance over a 10 game sample?

*Last season counts very heavily in that for me as well with all the problems in the passing game from multiple rookie WRs and injuries across the board coupled with Ridley being sent to the bench for fumbling which created a very good situation for Vereen to step into the breech.

he doesn't catch balls --- that's blount subbing in for him when he's in the doghouse.

vereen did all his damage last year in ppr on half the snaps --- somebody's gettin' that other half.

edit:

And BTW going back to the list 7 of the non Sean Payton coached backs to hit 82 targets were coached by Andy Reid. How can you say that is not a coaching trend for those two?
where did I say that?

targeting a guy every 4 snaps doesn't put him in a position for 70 catches, or last year doesn't count?

To further the discussion on Vereen's target rate last year, he had 4 games with 10+ targets.

Week 1 @BUF: 7 catches on 10 targets. No Gronk or Dobson, Amendola banged up.

Week 10 @CAR: 8 catches on 11 targets. No Gronk or Amendola, Dobson banged up.

Week 11 DEN: 8 catches on 11 targets. No Dobson, no Boyce

Week 13 CLE: 12 catches on 17 targets. No Dobson, no Thompkins, Amendola and Gronk banged up (ACL injury early in game).

As I mentioned earlier, if the Pats have a cupboard stocked with healthy weapons on offense, I would suggest that a lot will change in who gets the ball. Last year, it seemed players got a lot of opportunities out of necessity, not necessarily based on them being the best guy for the job.

really?

a FACT?

edit:

where did I say that?

targeting a guy every 4 snaps doesn't put him in a position for 70 catches, or last year doesn't count?
I guess it depends on what his catch percentage is and how many snaps he plays.

And how many times do I need to say that last year does count? Why does it count so much in your eyes? Why does the fact that they had two rookie WRs, one new WR and multiple injuries to five of their receivers during the season make you think that Vereen's usage will be duplicated this year? Why do so many people point to the fact that Belichick is known for modifying his offense as an argument that Vereen could have 70 catches then forget that it also means the offense may be modified again this season in a way that would not favor Vereen?

It really seems like you are saying that the only thing that matters is how Vereen was used in 10 games last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
To further the discussion on Vereen's target rate last year, he had 4 games with 10+ targets.

Week 13 CLE: 12 catches on 17 targets. No Dobson, no Thompkins, Amendola and Gronk banged up (ACL injury early in game).

As I mentioned earlier, if the Pats have a cupboard stocked with healthy weapons on offense, I would suggest that a lot will change in who gets the ball. Last year, it seemed players got a lot of opportunities out of necessity, not necessarily based on them being the best guy for the job.
I wholeheartedly disagree with that last paragraph...after Gronk the two best weapons (and most trusted by Brady) on the Pats are Edelman and Vereen...and I believe it's by a lot as well...if healthy I look for them to duplicate last year's production (for Vereen you have to take the #'s over a 16 game schedule)...right now the Pats don't have a TE after Gronk that is a factor in the passing game...Boyce might not make the team...while he has a lot of upside Dobson is still questionable health-wise...Thompkins looks like he could be solid but he's still somewhat of an unknown...LaFell can be a factor but I just don't see big numbers from him...Amendola is a huge wildcard...he looked real good in week 1 but was never the same after his injury...hopefully his production increases...and if he can stay on the field it should...

Overall I see Brady having bigger numbers than last year (especially if Gronk is healthy) and the Pats should be deeper at the skill position than last year...while both Dobson and Amendola have a chance to make a jump this year I don't see it coming at the expense of Vereen and Edelman...if they do make that jump I see it greatly helping Brady in putting up better #'s than he did in 2013...

that's a little disingenuous, though --- you count the subtractions in wr injuries, but ignore increased targets by a guy like edelman.

edelman had 151 targets last year --- you don't think a healthier dobson, et al deduct from that total, if dobson is actually any healthier?

(and 'no boyce' week 11 --- really, dude? he had 19 targets all year)

also, those 4 games you mentioned average out to 12 targets/game for vereen, or a crazy 192 targets over a 16 game season.

I doubt even the truest vereen believer expects 192 targets.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that last paragraph...after Gronk the two best weapons (and most trusted by Brady) on the Pats are Edelman and Vereen...and I believe it's by a lot as well...if healthy I look for them to duplicate last year's production (for Vereen you have to take the #'s over a 16 game schedule)...right now the Pats don't have a TE after Gronk that is a factor in the passing game...Boyce might not make the team...while he has a lot of upside Dobson is still questionable health-wise...Thompkins looks like he could be solid but he's still somewhat of an unknown...LaFell can be a factor but I just don't see big numbers from him...Amendola is a huge wildcard...he looked real good in week 1 but was never the same after his injury...hopefully his production increases...and if he can stay on the field it should...

Overall I see Brady having bigger numbers than last year (especially if Gronk is healthy) and the Pats should be deeper at the skill position than last year...while both Dobson and Amendola have a chance to make a jump this year I don't see it coming at the expense of Vereen and Edelman...if they do make that jump I see it greatly helping Brady in putting up better #'s than he did in 2013...
Feel free to disagree, but project the Pats 2014 offense if all the players are healthy, and I don't see Vereen getting 2013 x 2 since he only played in half the games and Edelman getting the same amount of targets.

So account for 16 games for Gronk instead of essentially 6.

16 games for LaFell vs. 0.

16 games for Dobson vs. 11 or 12.

16 games for Amendola instead of 12 . . . all of which where he was nowhere near 100%.

16 games for White vs. 0.

Edelman had 151 targets. Double Vereen's targets from last year would by 138 targets. That would be 289 targets between just those two guy.

I can't agree or disagree on the Brady statement about him having bigger numbers compared to last year. If bigger means more yards and TDs, I agree. If bigger numbers means more passing attempts, then I would disagree. I would guess that better defense = fewer passing attempts this season for Brady. If I had to guess, they will try to run clock more than last year, as I think they will be playing from ahead instead of behind a lot more this season if the defense really is better this year. So I would bump Brady's attempts down by 50 from last year and bump up their rushing attempts some.

that's a little disingenuous, though --- you count the subtractions in wr injuries, but ignore increased targets by a guy like edelman.

edelman had 151 targets last year --- you don't think a healthier dobson, et al deduct from that total, if dobson is actually any healthier?

(and 'no boyce' week 11 --- really, dude? he had 19 targets all year)

also, those 4 games you mentioned average out to 12 targets/game for vereen, or a crazy 192 targets over a 16 game season.

I doubt even the truest vereen believer expects 192 targets.
I grouped Edelman and Vereen together earlier in the thread as candidates to lose targets. So, yeah, I'm with you on that.

And neither one of Vereen and Edelman has been a pillar of health either, so they are just as likely to get hurt as all the other guys that have struggled to stay healthy.

I'm pretty confident the ball is gonna get spread around more this year, that being said I think those targets come from WRs and not RBs, I don't feel like Vereen has competition for his targets at all.

I also think Brady throws the ball more this year, thats right, I think he throws more than the 600 some odd balls he threw last year.

Feel free to disagree, but project the Pats 2014 offense if all the players are healthy, and I don't see Vereen getting 2013 x 2 since he only played in half the games and Edelman getting the same amount of targets.

16 games for Amendola instead of 12 . . . all of which where he was nowhere near 100%.

Edelman had 151 targets. Double Vereen's targets from last year would by 138 targets. That would be 289 targets between just those two guy.

I can't agree or disagree on the Brady statement about him having bigger numbers compared to last year. If bigger means more yards and TDs, I agree. If bigger numbers means more passing attempts, then I would disagree. I would guess that better defense = fewer passing attempts this season for Brady. If I had to guess, they will try to run clock more than last year, as I think they will be playing from ahead instead of behind a lot more this season if the defense really is better this year. So I would bump Brady's attempts down by 50 from last year and bump up their rushing attempts some.
I don't think defense or playing ahead has anything to do with it...BB has never been one to put his foot on the brake...if the Pats offense can pass effectively than they will do it...that is where they are most comfortable...I don't see them slowing things down unless their weapons don't produce and they play that way out of necessity...I guess where we really disagree is the #'s other players put up...if you are high on guys like Dobson and Amendola than you can make a case for lower numbers for Vereen and Edelman...as a Pats fan I actually hope that is the case because they will be better...that being said I just feel real strongly that those two players are much better than the other players not named Gronk...

And neither one of Vereen and Edelman has been a pillar of health either, so they are just as likely to get hurt as all the other guys that have struggled to stay healthy.
Agreed...between Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Dobson and Vereen there is a lot of room for error injury-wise...

The other two variables not yet discussed are whether the OL will give Brady more time to throw and whether the receivers will run the right routes this year. If Brady doesn't have time to throw, we may see a high volume dink and dunk attack. If Brady has more time to throw and/or the running game is effective, that could open things up for some longer routes.

Again, not knowing the health of a ton of guys, the development of some of the younger guys, and what on earth they plan to do with LaFell (who is going to get $4M in real dollars this year, which is essentially Edelman-like money) makes this a really had situation to get a pulse on.

well, I think your holistic methodology in making projections is fairly rational and kind of good because it keeps things grounded, but I think it's also a bit flawed in certain ways when trying to divine just one particular guy.

so, for example, you've set out to account for the following

but we all know there will be missing games, just not who or how many ---- all these guys can't play 16.

if all these receivers are playing 16 games it just means they each play fewer snaps in each game.

if I compare vereen to 'all others', and let's just say all others constitute 6 guys --- that's 16 vereen-games as compared with 96 other receiver-games, so just through statistics it's more likely that we lose some of the 96 than the 16, and those missed targets just get shuffled around.

it's fair to say that vereen still might miss time, but that becomes kind of irrelevant, as you bear that risk from anybody on your roster, and would just plug in some guy off your bench, introducing outside production to what would otherwise be a closed system.

maybe I get 3 weeks of chris johnson's production added into my vereen slot that isn't accounted for in your patriots team projection, which is why I prefer ppg to yearly totals based on 16 games.

I think the problem with the holistic method is so much of a guy's year end total is simply based on games played and games missed, and we have no way to guess on that.

so, you can easily have a 50 target team swing just based on what brady throws, for example, then we have all these +/- targets on each guy just based on guessing, and on top of that we need to account for the unknown missing games, so while your closed system might seem to total up correctly when it's based on the assumptions of everybody playing, in reality, there will be huge variance on the moving parts within the whole, and just a swing of 30 on 1 guy is significant.

I don't know who will miss time, but I know it's unlikely nobody misses time.

it's true that guys like lafell will end up with some targets, and this other guy who missed games might play more games, etc, but there won't be 5 or 6 receivers on the field, so whoever is out there will just steal from the other guy, but we have no idea which of these guys in particular will be able to stay on the field, although I think it's pretty likely vereen maintains an approximation of his snaps, unless you really feel white is a big threat -- which is always possible.

the point being that it's not like we'll see 50% of the snaps as 4 wr + gronk.

edit: to keep this more on vereen, let's say I'm guesstimating some amount of production for white based on making numbers up in my imagination --- it makes a big difference how those numbers are distributed.

let's say I give white and vereen equal production --- do they both play all 16 with white stealing half of vereen's production, or is vereen missing half the season, with white filling in the other half?

either way, the numbers add up the same for my year end team total.

Chaka said:

no its not. just last year, his coach put a rb in position to catch 70 passes. in fact, he was on pace for 94 catches. actually a bit more, since he was dinged up and left 2 games early.

Chaka said:

no its not. just last year, his coach put a rb in position to catch 70 passes. in fact, he was on pace for 94 catches. actually a bit more, since he was dinged up and left 2 games early.
You can't argue something that didn't happen fwiw.

Chaka said:

You can't argue something that didn't happen fwiw.
I'm pretty sure I remember that happening

Chaka said:
Pierre Thomas caught 77 passes last year and that was with Sproles on the team. He has a career 84% catch rate and last season PT had 147 rushing attempts. But people are drafting him 10 spots later than Vereen in PPR leagues? Something is out of whack with that.
I agree and think (at #19 ADP) Vereen is overrated. I checked Woodhead's stats and he caught 40 balls in 2012. This was a season where Ridley was a major factor. With the Chargers last season, he jumped to 76 receptions.

Other than staying healthy, maybe the biggest barrier will the other backs. If Ridley is productive and reliable - and James White sees some playing time - there simply may not be enough balls to go around. As far as receivers go; I don't think they're as green as they were last season.

Last season Shane Vereen had 44 rushing attempts 208 rushing yards 1TD 69 targets 47 receptions 427 receiving yards 3TD

My projection would not be a 50% drop in utilization. It is actually an increase.

Your numbers seem to be pro rating the 8 games he played into 16 games at the same level.
Of course my numbers project out to a 16 game season. Has the NFL shortened their season and I somehow missed it, or are you definitively projecting Vereen to only play 8 games again this year? :confused:

Because if you're not projecting a halving of his utilization, it kinda HAS to be one or the other.
Actually you said your first projection assumed 13 games.

I am projecting Vereen for 16 games which based on his track record is questionable, as he has not done that yet in his career.

I think it is erroneous to just pro rate a players performance in 8 games to 16. Especially for a player who has not managed to play that many games yet in a season yet in their career. If Vereen had already performed at that level over a 16 game time frame, and then missed 8 games the following season I would consider doing that to be more reasonable
Sooo....You're projecting the same number of receptions in 16G as 8G last year.. But INSIST you're not projecting a 50pct drop in utilization.

So new conditions:

1) you're projecting vereens drop rate to increase by 200-300%

2) you don't know what utilization means

Where do we stand?
I use career catch rate for all players based on targets. Vereen is 79%

Here are the Patriots running backs for 2014-

Stevan Ridley 280 4.5 1260 9 20 0.613 12 6.6 79 0 187.9 199.9

Shane Vereen 105 4.3 451.5 2 65 0.79 51 10.5 535 2 122.65 173.65

James White 75 4.2 315 2 35 0.73 26 7.7 197 0 63.2 89.2

James DeVelin 4 2.5 10 1 8 0.8 6 15.5 93 16.3 22.3

That is not a 50% reduction. You do not seem to understand the statements coming out of your own mouth, which makes it pretty pointless to debate.

I understand Vereen's utilization is situational. If there is a match up they can exploit with him, they will. If the defense does not take that away then they will do it a lot until the defense does take it away. Some defenses will cause Vereen to be not utilized as much as others. To take those situations where they did and just assume that they will be able to do that every game? It is not reasonable.
I think I have to agree with Icon here. Your projections are just fine. But if you are projecting him to catch about the same number of balls as last year, and you are projecting for 16 games, then you kind of are projecting a drop in utilization of about 50%. There's nothing wrong with that. I tend to agree with you that he will be used differently and probably used less than he was in the 8 games last year. But I'm not sure why you are arguing so much about projecting a drop in his utilization.
I do not understand how you and icon can consider this a 50% reduction in utilization. That makes no sense mathematically. At all.

If you pro rate every player based on a small same size and consider that to be their expected utilization you would end up with a ton of players eclipsing reasonable expected performance levels. I very much doubt anyone is doing that. So if that is not the process of projection for every player it is not consistent to do so for only a few select players.

I think people use PPG or points/target far too liberally and this leads to over valuing those players because of that process. I see people doing that every year.

The utilization is situational. The situations that led to Vereen being highly targeted will not be repeated on a game to game basis. in some games it will when the situation merits it. That will not be every week of the season.

To say that my projections are a reduction of what the player has never done over a 16 game time frame? One of the worst arguments I have ever heard. Good luck to you all with that.

Reminds me of people going bonkers over David Wilsons small sample size last year.
This is getting weird.I said I agree with you that his numbers will go down. So I, also, am predicting a decrease in his utilization.

He was used a certain way for 8 games last year. You do not think he will be used the same this year. Or, in other words, you think he will be utilized less. Based on how he was used on a per game basis last year, you are predicting a 50% decline per game.

Why is that so hard to admit? And why do you think it's so bad to say? I just don't understand.
The only thing strange to me is that you would agree with the idea that I am projecting a 50% decline in Shane Vereen’s 2013 performance. As someone in the field of remote sensing, which I am very familiar with, I have a higher expectation of you than this.

Last season Shane Vereen had 44 carries 208 yards 4.7ypc 69 targets 47 receptions 427 yards 9.1ypc in 8 games.

A 50% decrease in Vereen’s 2013 production would be 22 carries 104 yards 35 targets 24 receptions.

My projection for 2014-

105 carries 4,3 ypc 452 yards 2TD 65 targets 79% catch rate 51 receptions 10.5 ypc

What I am projecting is that Vereen sees an increase in rushing attempts, 4 less total targets compared to 2013 but with a 12% higher catch rate, with career yard per carry/reception numbers.

Why the increase in rushing attempts and catch rate?

Because I believe the Patriots have sold the threat of the pass to Vereen enough to give him better run looks and that the targets will become more efficient because of the defense having more respect for Vereen as a runner.

I may be being too generous on the catch rate because Vereen has a career catch rate of 67% which is below average for a running back. I do not think Vereen is at all bad as a receiving running back, I think part of the reason for the lower than average percentage is due to the high volume of targets in a few games helping the defense predict and stop some of those receptions.

If Shane Vereen had 75 targets at 67% catch rate that would be 50 receptions, which is pretty close to my projection, just in a different way.

Bottom line

138 targets are not in the Cards. LT had 137 targets in 2003 which to the best of my knowledge is the record for targets to a running back.

[SIZE=11pt]If you would like to read more of my analysis of the situation I wrote an article about it here[/SIZE]

Chaka said:

Sorry for the confusion it was a semantic error on my part (BB has never had a 70 reception RB, there is your fact).

I am not saying his usage from last year will not continue I am pointing out that it was the first time in 14 years with Belichick and Brady that anything like that happened. If you think that is a trend that will continue this season, then that's great and you should draft accordingly. However if you think BB may do things differently in light of the changes on the roster and overall team health then you should also draft accordingly.

For his price tag in PPR, RB19, Vereen seems way too expensive when you can have a guy like Pierre Thomas who has significantly more history in terms of usage and production (as well as more favorable offseason team adjustments) at RB29. Vereen also may not see 100 carries all season (on pace for 88 last year).

Some of you are acting like it's a personal affront that I disagree with Vereen's price.

Chaka said:

Sorry for the confusion it was a semantic error on my part (BB has never had a 70 reception RB, there is your fact).

I am not saying his usage from last year will not continue I am pointing out that it was the first time in 14 years with Belichick and Brady that anything like that happened. If you think that is a trend that will continue this season, then that's great and you should draft accordingly. However if you think BB may do things differently in light of the changes on the roster and overall team health then you should also draft accordingly.

For his price tag in PPR, RB19, Vereen seems way too expensive when you can have a guy like Pierre Thomas who has significantly more history in terms of usage and production (as well as more favorable offseason team adjustments) at RB29. Vereen also may not see 100 carries all season (on pace for 88 last year).

Some of you are acting like it's a personal affront that I disagree with Vereen's price.
Regardless of the topic I would always be careful of looking at BB's past...the guy is a chameleon and has zero issues changing things up...early with the Pats WRs did little stat-wise but than Moss had a crazy year and Welker reeled off big years...when Dillon was a stud he rode him into the ground...when he had two stud TEs he built the offense around them...Brady's #'s were pretty ordinary early on than they blew up...the bottom-line is if you show BB you can produce he will use you and quite often use you often...now whether you think Vereen is one of those guys is another issue but I would absolutely not look at prior RB usage as an indicator...

Regardless of the topic I would always be careful of looking at BB's past...the guy is a chameleon and has zero issues changing things up...early with the Pats WRs did little stat-wise but than Moss had a crazy year and Welker reeled off big years...when Dillon was a stud he rode him into the ground...when he had two stud TEs he built the offense around them...Brady's #'s were pretty ordinary early on than they blew up...the bottom-line is if you show BB you can produce he will use you and quite often use you often...now whether you think Vereen is one of those guys is another issue but I would absolutely not look at prior RB usage as an indicator...
Yep. That is what several of us have been saying for a while now. Even if the Patriots history with Belichick shows that no single RB has gotten this many targets or catches, his history is also doing things differently on a regular basis, like you pointed out.

For example, from 2000-2010, no Patriot TE in the Belichick era had ever caught more than 49 passes in a season. Then, in 2011, Gronk caught 90 and Aaron Hernandez caught 79. IN THE SAME SEASON.

Chaka said:

Absolutely agree and I have mentioned that several times.

got vereen at 6.02 last night in a ppr league as my 2nd rb.. felt really good about it considering i taught up him in round 4, and 5 also

got vereen at 6.02 last night in a ppr league as my 2nd rb.. felt really good about it considering i taught up him in round 4, and 5 also
How many RBs went before Vereen?
I wish we had a quick way to insert league setup details when posting where we draft players. League size, roster configuration, and scoring. Those three variables make all the difference in the world in where a player should get drafted both in terms of round and relative to his positional peers. Sort of like a customizable smiley button.

Without that context, Vereen at 6.02 tells me very little.

How many RBs went before Vereen?
I wish we had a quick way to insert league setup details when posting where we draft players. League size, roster configuration, and scoring. Those three variables make all the difference in the world in where a player should get drafted both in terms of round and relative to his positional peers. Sort of like a customizable smiley button.

Without that context, Vereen at 6.02 tells me very little.
Yeah, giving a round and pick doesn't really have any value. Again this is why I prefer to simply talk about where a player ranks among his position group (RB1, RB2...RB30 etc.) I can then easily apply that to my leagues to figure out what round it equates to.

I don't understand why that isn't the norm when there are so many variables on league configuration.

Vereen's career catch rate is 65.1% (including playoffs) and last season he catch rate was 68.1%. So with the latter number he would need 102 targets to catch 70 balls.

One running back hit 100+ targets last year (Charles with 104) and only 5 others came within 20 targets of 102, the Forte (94), Sproles (89), Woodhead (87), Pierre Thomas (84), Dexter McCluster (83).

In 2012 only Sproles broke 100 (104) and only Rice (83) was within 20 targets of 102.

2011 Sproles (111), Rice (104) no others within 20

2010 McCoy (90), Foster (84), Rice (82)

2009 Rice (101)

2008 No one

2007 Westbrook (120), Bush (98), LT (86)

2006 Bush (121), Jackson (111), Westbrook (109), Gore (86), Tiki (82)

2005 Lamont Jordon (103), Westbrook (96)

2004 Westbrook (86), Dominick Williams (84)

2003 LT (137), Pittman (119), Tiki (98), Priest (90), Richie Anderson (87), Deuce (86), Moe Williams (85)

2002 Charlie Garner (111), Faulk (103), LT (101), Tiki (95), Jamel White (86), Pittman (86)

That's as far back as the data goes. To sum up in the past 12 seasons only 15 RBs have had over 100 targets and only Michael Pittman (2003 Den) & Darren Sproles (2011, 2012 NO) were not the full time featured RB in their offense.

Of the 24 RBs who have come within 20 targets of 102 Pittman (2002), Jamel White (2002), Moe Williams (2003), Richie Anderson (2003), McCluster (2013), Woodhead (2013), Sproles (2013), & Thomas (2013) were not the full time featured back of their offense. Vereen owners are praying that 2013 was not an outlier.

Coupled with the fact that a Belichick/Brady offense has never had a 70 reception RB in 14 seasons, even if Gronk doesn't play this season I think 70 receptions would be incredibly difficult for Vereen to achieve.
Wow. Look how many of those guys are andy Reid rbs.

Vereen's career catch rate is 65.1% (including playoffs) and last season he catch rate was 68.1%. So with the latter number he would need 102 targets to catch 70 balls.

One running back hit 100+ targets last year (Charles with 104) and only 5 others came within 20 targets of 102, the Forte (94), Sproles (89), Woodhead (87), Pierre Thomas (84), Dexter McCluster (83).

In 2012 only Sproles broke 100 (104) and only Rice (83) was within 20 targets of 102.

2011 Sproles (111), Rice (104) no others within 20

2010 McCoy (90), Foster (84), Rice (82)

2009 Rice (101)

2008 No one

2007 Westbrook (120), Bush (98), LT (86)

2006 Bush (121), Jackson (111), Westbrook (109), Gore (86), Tiki (82)

2005 Lamont Jordon (103), Westbrook (96)

2004 Westbrook (86), Dominick Williams (84)

2003 LT (137), Pittman (119), Tiki (98), Priest (90), Richie Anderson (87), Deuce (86), Moe Williams (85)

2002 Charlie Garner (111), Faulk (103), LT (101), Tiki (95), Jamel White (86), Pittman (86)

That's as far back as the data goes. To sum up in the past 12 seasons only 15 RBs have had over 100 targets and only Michael Pittman (2003 Den) & Darren Sproles (2011, 2012 NO) were not the full time featured RB in their offense.

Of the 24 RBs who have come within 20 targets of 102 Pittman (2002), Jamel White (2002), Moe Williams (2003), Richie Anderson (2003), McCluster (2013), Woodhead (2013), Sproles (2013), & Thomas (2013) were not the full time featured back of their offense. Vereen owners are praying that 2013 was not an outlier.

Coupled with the fact that a Belichick/Brady offense has never had a 70 reception RB in 14 seasons, even if Gronk doesn't play this season I think 70 receptions would be incredibly difficult for Vereen to achieve.
Wow. Look how many of those guys are andy Reid rbs.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Agreed...between Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Dobson and Vereen there is a lot of room for error injury-wise...
This is what makes drafting Pats players so tough this year. You know at least one of these guys is probably going back on the IR at some point. And those left standing will benefit with increased targets, as Vereen did for a spell last year. But good luck guessing who makes it through all 16 games. I think Vereen is likely to reach ~50 rec this season if everyone stays healthy. But he's just as likely to get hurt himself. At all of their current ADPs, Edelman and Amendola offer the best values in PPR even with their significant injury history. I've been in a few PPR drafts where Vereen was selected before the likes of Martin, Bush, and Spiller which I simply don't get.

Vereen in for two plays, Wheel route complete pushed out of bounds for 12 yards, followed by a slipscreen for 9 yards.

Last season Shane Vereen had 44 rushing attempts 208 rushing yards 1TD 69 targets 47 receptions 427 receiving yards 3TD

My projection would not be a 50% drop in utilization. It is actually an increase.

Your numbers seem to be pro rating the 8 games he played into 16 games at the same level.
Of course my numbers project out to a 16 game season. Has the NFL shortened their season and I somehow missed it, or are you definitively projecting Vereen to only play 8 games again this year? :confused:

Because if you're not projecting a halving of his utilization, it kinda HAS to be one or the other.
Actually you said your first projection assumed 13 games.

I am projecting Vereen for 16 games which based on his track record is questionable, as he has not done that yet in his career.

I think it is erroneous to just pro rate a players performance in 8 games to 16. Especially for a player who has not managed to play that many games yet in a season yet in their career. If Vereen had already performed at that level over a 16 game time frame, and then missed 8 games the following season I would consider doing that to be more reasonable
Sooo....You're projecting the same number of receptions in 16G as 8G last year.. But INSIST you're not projecting a 50pct drop in utilization.

So new conditions:

1) you're projecting vereens drop rate to increase by 200-300%

2) you don't know what utilization means

Where do we stand?
I use career catch rate for all players based on targets. Vereen is 79%

Here are the Patriots running backs for 2014-

Stevan Ridley 280 4.5 1260 9 20 0.613 12 6.6 79 0 187.9 199.9

Shane Vereen 105 4.3 451.5 2 65 0.79 51 10.5 535 2 122.65 173.65

James White 75 4.2 315 2 35 0.73 26 7.7 197 0 63.2 89.2

James DeVelin 4 2.5 10 1 8 0.8 6 15.5 93 16.3 22.3

That is not a 50% reduction. You do not seem to understand the statements coming out of your own mouth, which makes it pretty pointless to debate.

I understand Vereen's utilization is situational. If there is a match up they can exploit with him, they will. If the defense does not take that away then they will do it a lot until the defense does take it away. Some defenses will cause Vereen to be not utilized as much as others. To take those situations where they did and just assume that they will be able to do that every game? It is not reasonable.
I think I have to agree with Icon here. Your projections are just fine. But if you are projecting him to catch about the same number of balls as last year, and you are projecting for 16 games, then you kind of are projecting a drop in utilization of about 50%. There's nothing wrong with that. I tend to agree with you that he will be used differently and probably used less than he was in the 8 games last year. But I'm not sure why you are arguing so much about projecting a drop in his utilization.
I do not understand how you and icon can consider this a 50% reduction in utilization. That makes no sense mathematically. At all.

If you pro rate every player based on a small same size and consider that to be their expected utilization you would end up with a ton of players eclipsing reasonable expected performance levels. I very much doubt anyone is doing that. So if that is not the process of projection for every player it is not consistent to do so for only a few select players.

I think people use PPG or points/target far too liberally and this leads to over valuing those players because of that process. I see people doing that every year.

The utilization is situational. The situations that led to Vereen being highly targeted will not be repeated on a game to game basis. in some games it will when the situation merits it. That will not be every week of the season.

To say that my projections are a reduction of what the player has never done over a 16 game time frame? One of the worst arguments I have ever heard. Good luck to you all with that.

Reminds me of people going bonkers over David Wilsons small sample size last year.
This is getting weird.I said I agree with you that his numbers will go down. So I, also, am predicting a decrease in his utilization.

He was used a certain way for 8 games last year. You do not think he will be used the same this year. Or, in other words, you think he will be utilized less. Based on how he was used on a per game basis last year, you are predicting a 50% decline per game.

Why is that so hard to admit? And why do you think it's so bad to say? I just don't understand.
The only thing strange to me is that you would agree with the idea that I am projecting a 50% decline in Shane Vereens 2013 performance. As someone in the field of remote sensing, which I am very familiar with, I have a higher expectation of you than this.

Last season Shane Vereen had 44 carries 208 yards 4.7ypc 69 targets 47 receptions 427 yards 9.1ypc in 8 games.

A 50% decrease in Vereens 2013 production would be 22 carries 104 yards 35 targets 24 receptions.

My projection for 2014-

105 carries 4,3 ypc 452 yards 2TD 65 targets 79% catch rate 51 receptions 10.5 ypc

What I am projecting is that Vereen sees an increase in rushing attempts, 4 less total targets compared to 2013 but with a 12% higher catch rate, with career yard per carry/reception numbers.

Why the increase in rushing attempts and catch rate?

Because I believe the Patriots have sold the threat of the pass to Vereen enough to give him better run looks and that the targets will become more efficient because of the defense having more respect for Vereen as a runner.

I may be being too generous on the catch rate because Vereen has a career catch rate of 67% which is below average for a running back. I do not think Vereen is at all bad as a receiving running back, I think part of the reason for the lower than average percentage is due to the high volume of targets in a few games helping the defense predict and stop some of those receptions.

If Shane Vereen had 75 targets at 67% catch rate that would be 50 receptions, which is pretty close to my projection, just in a different way.

Bottom line

138 targets are not in the Cards. LT had 137 targets in 2003 which to the best of my knowledge is the record for targets to a running back.

If you would like to read more of my analysis of the situation I wrote an article about it here
I said you are predicting a 50 percent decline PER GAME. I did not say you are predicting a 50 percent decline in his 2013 performance as you tried to say I did. Will you at least agree to that? Or agree that you are predicting that he will not play 16 games in your projections? It's one or the other.

i just cannot fathom how anyone can conclude that vereen will get fewer targets in 16 games than he did in 8 games when there hasnt been any significant personnel changes to the team. hes a lock for 60 catches and has upside as high as 80.

He's dropping slightly in a lot of rankings. Any Pats homers know why? I know White was getting pumped as one who might take reps from Vereen, but then reports were White didn't look too good when he got reps in the last preseason game.

Any input here? Larry?

Hoss Style said:
He's dropping slightly in a lot of rankings. Any Pats homers know why? I know White was getting pumped as one who might take reps from Vereen, but then reports were White didn't look too good when he got reps in the last preseason game.

Any input here? Larry?
He was overvalued to begin with. People are probably not too excited about their rb2 getting only 150 total touches, and that's if he stays healthy which he likely won't.

The anti-Vereen crowd will be very happy come season's end.

Hoss Style said:

Any input here? Larry?
I don't really look at anybody's rankings, so it's kind of hard to comment on that --- might be just a natural settle in rankings as a whole as we get close to the season, or maybe it's actually other guys bubbling up that would push him down.

do you have have anything concrete?

I've heard a guy in the media mention white had been nicknamed 'captain wheel route' by the guys covering the team, but I kind of doubt white would be leeching value any more right now then he did earlier.

According to the FBG fantasy composite (non PPR) Vereen was RB#21 on 7/30 and has been RB#24 on 8/5, 8/11 & 8/19. That still seems high to me.

Sorry I don't track PPR numbers but currently he sits as RB#18 @ FBGs and RB#17 of Fantasy Pros composite lists.

So assuming he catches 70 passes at 9.1 Y/R = 637 yards + 106 rushes at 4.7 Y/A = 500 yards. So a total around 1,137 yards (114 Fantasy Points) on 70 receptions (70 FP) and throw in 5-6 TDs which would put him at around 220 fantasy points for a whole season or about 206 for 16 games.

I don't play in a PPR so I honestly have no idea where 206 FP rates among RBs. Is that somewhere around a RB#17 value?

According to the FBG fantasy composite (non PPR) Vereen was RB#21 on 7/30 and has been RB#24 on 8/5, 8/11 & 8/19. That still seems high to me.

Sorry I don't track PPR numbers but currently he sits as RB#18 @ FBGs and RB#17 of Fantasy Pros composite lists.

So assuming he catches 70 passes at 9.1 Y/R = 637 yards + 106 rushes at 4.7 Y/A = 500 yards. So a total around 1,137 yards (114 Fantasy Points) on 70 receptions (70 FP) and throw in 5-6 TDs which would put him at around 220 fantasy points for a whole season or about 206 for 16 games.

I don't play in a PPR so I honestly have no idea where 206 FP rates among RBs. Is that somewhere around a RB#17 value?
~200 would fantasy points is good for mid RB2 status in 1PPR, yeah

well, woodhead got 425 + 76/605 and 8td and he was probably about 12th in total pts

bernard and pierre thomas maybe also being similar comps

~200 would fantasy points is good for mid RB2 status in 1PPR, yeah
Fair enough. Although I think 206 points is pretty close to Vereen's ceiling which makes me feel like he is still a touch over-valued.

well, woodhead got 425 + 76/605 and 8td and he was probably about 12th in total pts

bernard and pierre thomas maybe also being similar comps
Woodhead is currently RB#31 in PPR according to Fantasy Pros and FBgs has him @ RB#34.

And Woodhead is a prime example of why I don't necessarily like projecting 8 games out over a whole season. After 8 games Woodhead was on pace for 116 targets (58 targets) but in games 9-16 he had a total of 30 targets giving him 88 on the season. He still ended up with 76 catches which is impressive, then again he has a career 76% catch rate and a ridiculous 86% rate last year.

So I still question whether Vereen's 69 targets through 8 games last year is something that would hold up over an entire season. Heck I am not convinced he will see 69 targets through an 8 game stretch at any point again during the rest of his career.

you feel 70 catches and 5-6 td is his ceiling?
Yeah, around there seems reasonable for his ceiling. Sure if absolutely everything breaks absolutely perfectly maybe he could push that to 80 and 8 but I consider that unrealistic and certainly wouldn't let that influence any of my rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread