What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen (2 Viewers)

When Coughlin was the Giants WRs coach, David Meggett was known to practice with his group.
And? Meggett was useless in FF, unless you're counting the penal league.
No and...just a thought. Meggett was an extremely effective 3rd down back in NFL world though, if not FF.

Also, Tiki (just a 3rd down back return guy when he started) had his best season under Coughlin

I'm very curious what Coughlin has up his sleeve

why would they bring Jennings back? Seems a combo of Vereen/Williams could be decent if they can coach Andre up. Skill set wise they seem to work well. Assume Rashad would have to be cheap to be brought back.

why would they bring Jennings back? Seems a combo of Vereen/Williams could be decent if they can coach Andre up. Skill set wise they seem to work well. Assume Rashad would have to be cheap to be brought back.
Giants have had three good backs quite often under Coughlin's long tenure.

Generally he has a two pronged attack and one gets hurt, so the other fills in nicely.

The change from Gilbride to McAdoo is something I keep reminding myself of. Although we've seen Coughlin's teams do X, Y, Z for like 10-15 years he always had Gilbride.

We saw the GB/NYG welded together offense, but with a season under their belt, and respect earned, I'm curious how Coughlin and McAdoo adjust this offseason.

In some ways, McAdoo's O is "pretty" while Coughlin seems to like more brutish run, time of possession slow it down type if he can.

One thing Coughlin has been excellent at his whole career was having a scheme (on O or D) where he had fresher legs than the opposition in the 4th Q. Young Bradshaw, even young Ward would look like all-pro RBs running against a tired D and entering the game late. It wasn't better training and conditioning but having enough extra guys. Since we saw it so many times over so many years, I do figure he's discussing this with McAdoo.

Very curious of Vereen and would like to know exactly what the plan is

Rotoworld:

NJ.com expects the Giants to utilize Shane Vereen as more than a third-down back.
The Giants were fond of three-receiver sets last season, using them 65 percent of the time on 1st-and-10. Speaking Wednesday, coach Tom Coughlin praised Vereen's effectiveness out of three-receiver sets. "Quite frankly, it's something from an attack standpoint we've had some success with, but not to the extent that he has," Coughlin said. "First down, if it was zone coverage, (the Patriots) were dropping the ball down and he would scoot." It's wise of the G-Men to avoid pigeonholing their new back, but he's still third on the early-down totem pole behind Rashad Jennings and Andre Williams.

Source: NJ.com
Mar 26 - 5:17 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Giants reporter Dan Graziano gets the idea Shane Vereen "might be more important than initially thought."

Vereen's main role will be as a third-down back, catching passes and helping protect Eli Manning. But Rashad Jennings is 30 years old and couldn't stay healthy last year, and Andre Williams was brutally ineffective. It's very possible Vereen, who is getting plenty of inside reps at OTAs, will earn more playing time as the year moves along. That will especially be true if the Giants use as much no-huddle as they did last year.

Related: Rashad Jennings, Andre Williams

Source: ESPN New York
Jun 2 - 10:31 AM

Rotoworld:

NJ.com's Jordan Raanan says Shane Vereen is "going to be a big part of the offense."

This is the second beat reporter in the last seven days to single out Vereen as someone standing out during OTAs. He will handle the passing back work, be featured in a no-huddle look the Giants use a ton of and will spell 30-year-old Rashad Jennings. Per Raanan, Vereen "caught pass after pass out of the backfield, in particular in the red zone" during Monday's work.

Jun 9 - 9:45 AM

Rotoworld:

According to NJ.com's Jordan Raanan, Shane Vereen "is not just going to be a third-down back" in his first year with the Giants.

Raanan says Vereen caught "pass after pass" at spring work, seeming to find his way "onto the field constantly." Said OC Ben McAdoo of Vereen, "He can be a quarterback's best friend in a way in the passing game." The spring buzz on Vereen has begun to show up in his ADP. Vereen is now going in the middle of round seven, just a round and a half behind Giants starter Rashad Jennings.

Jun 19 - 1:34 PM

Very strong buy given that the Giants new-ish OC is a three step drop guy and Beckham and Cruz (if healthy) will cause defenses fits. NE loved the wheel route with Vereen when they could get him on a linebacker, I'd love to see what could happen with Vereen up the sidelines while Beckham draws double coverage and clears out the defense.

Either way, I've always been high on Vereen as a back.

Last edited by a moderator:
More and more indications that he could have a tiki barber role. Strong buy
Vereen's role could expand beyond what he did in NE, certainly, but Tiki Barber was a 20 carry / game workhorse, as well as handling a huge receiving load. Vereen has struggled to stay on the field while never even averaging 5 carries / game.

Rotoworld:

Shane Vereen led Giants running backs in first-team reps at Tuesday's practice.

He logged 13 snaps with the first team compared to nine for Rashad Jennings and only three for Andre Williams. Jennings is listed atop the team's running back depth chart, but that doesn't mean he'll get the most work. Even if Jennings does get most of New York's early-down touches this season, Vereen will still have plenty of fantasy value, particularly in PPR leagues.

Related: Rashad Jennings

Aug 12 - 8:54 AM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

He logged 13 snaps with the first team compared to nine for Rashad Jennings and only three for Andre Williams. Jennings is listed atop the team's running back depth chart, but that doesn't mean he'll get the most work. Even if Jennings does get most of New York's early-down touches this season, Vereen will still have plenty of fantasy value, particularly in PPR leagues.

Interesting. One of Jennings or Vereen will be a nice value. I wonder how many of Vereen's reps were because of all the WRs being out. I could be wrong but I think OBJ, Cruz and Randle are all not practicing or limited.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Interesting. One of Jennings or Vereen will be a nice value. I wonder how many of Vereen's reps were because of all the WRs being out. I could be wrong but I think OBJ, Cruz and Randle are all not practicing or limited.
I believe they're all limited. In 11v11 yesterday, the two 1st team wide receivers were reported to be Corey Washington and James Jones.

Shane Vereen rushed 11 times for 67 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 3 loss to the Redskins, adding two catches for 28 additional yards.
Vereen fumbled twice, losing one. The second was narrowly overturned on review. Vereen also lost a fumble in Week 2. That would have had him banished under former coach Tom Coughlin. As it is, Vereen stayed in the game, but was rotating pretty much evenly with Orleans Darkwa even before he put the ball on the ground. Bobby Rainey was also a surprisingly big part of the offense with Rashad Jennings sidelined. Still part of a committee, Vereen will be more of an RB3 in Week 4 against the Vikings even if Jennings remains out.

Sep 25 - 5:27 PM

2 RB1s on the Giants this week :-D and I started both of them! Been starting Vereen for weeks now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was nice to pick up a piece of scrap metal & plug him in for 15.50 in full PPR. By no means a must start - 3 fumbles in 2 weeks, Darkwa had a nice day as well in a near 50-50 split - but for once a last minute decision worked out OK.

Yep.  Plugged him in for Gio with two minutes to spare after seeing Jennings was out.  Gotta love when it works out.

Giants coach Ben McAdoo said Shane Vereen (triceps, injured reserve) looked to be "in good condition" in his first practice Wednesday.
Conditioning can be a concern coming out of a long injury layoff, but Vereen's triceps injury did not affect his ability to run. He will still have to prove his strength is back before the Giants allow him on the field, but it looks like he has a good shot to return next week against the Cowboys. Vereen is worth a look in PPR formats.

Source: New York Post 
Dec 1 - 9:34 AM

Picked him up yesterday. Nice bench depth in case of emergency, and comes rather cheap. I think he'll see a dozen touches per game down the stretch. 

Anyone with insight here? 

Seems like vereen could be a FLEX option down the stretch here. Anyone have the cajones to start him this week?
I am in a dynasty rebuild...sold off most of my non-injured RB's, and am relying on J. McKinnon & R. Burkhead this week (McKinnon & D. Robinson got me a win last week...lol)..anyways, Vereen is currently on my IR.  Has he been activated?  If so, I missed it.

But, to your question, if he plays this week, I may start him over Burkhead, but with it being his 1st week back, I am still leaning Burkhead.  

Not the kind of guy I would want to start out of the gate. I can see some potential in the next couple weeks though since nobody has really taken charge of that RB position so he may get a fair amount of work the last few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread