What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Microsoft Windows 8 (Eight) Released (1 Viewer)

Anyone else kick the tires on Windows 8 yet? I'm looking at a couple of Lenovo laptops on their site and they ALL have 8. I have not been impressed by what I have heard to date, but I'll admit I haven't heard much.TIA
I have been running it since release on my desktop, had (have) the release candidate on my laptop prior to that. Personally, I think the reviews have been unjustly negative in most cases, overplaying the "touch" aspect of Windows 8 and then either panning devices for not having touch or panning Windows 8 touch interface for how it works with a KB/Mouse. In my experience, there is nothing "broken" about using the touch interface with a mouse and keyboard. It works just fine. I do spend 90% of my time in desktop mode, and don't use many of the full screen Windows 8 apps. There are some significant performance advantages with Windows 8, particularly on startup speeds. There have also been good security improvements. Overall, it runs a bit better than Windows 7 did on the same hardware. I treat the Metro interface as a full-screen start menu, and it works for that. It also has better multi-monitor support, although that is probably less of a concern on a laptop.The annoyances: learning the hot corners and keyboard shortcuts (not so much for me since I already use keyboard shortcuts a lot) since things are tucked away. This was a poor usability decision as "out of sight, out of mind" for most, and this is probably one of the largest problems with Windows 8 is that menus and options are frequently hidden away. Also, sleeping or turning off the machine through software is a multi-gesture/click affair. Of course, many people just use their power button, but on a desktop where the machine may not be readily accessible, that isn't really a good option. I actually made a sleep and powerdown shortcut to fix that. The other modification I made was to have it boot straight to desktop mode. It was a pretty easy hack, and so it bypasses the Metro start screen on start-up. I didn't install on of the "start button replacement" apps, don't really find I need that. Plus Windows 8 has a really nice menu of system options when you right-click the start menu corner (bottom left.) It's nice having access to the Store, but I don't use hardly any apps on a regularly basis. Mostly all programs I installed that run in desktop mode. I expect that may change over time as more apps are released, we'll see. Also, some apps are not yet programming things correctly to support both mouse and touch. I think those kinds of things will be resolved as developers get more familiar with app programming, but for now some apps can be hit or miss depending on the app programming.Overall, I recommend Windows 8 for 2 reasons - if you have to buy a new version of Windows right now, it is the less expensive option and not worse than Windows 7. (Same generally applies to buying a new computer, you'll likely be getting a better machine with Windows 8 than you would get for the same $ for a machine with Windows 7 on it.) Second, for those that are relatively computer savvy (using, not geeks) it will be a pretty quick adjustment period and there are some nice behind the scenes reasons to use Windows 8. Also, if it makes sense in your budget, getting a machine with a touchscreen is a nice bonus, but I don't think it is required to use Windows 8.I don't recommend a Windows RT tablet right now. And I don't recommend upgrading people who aren't computer savvy just to upgrade them.
Thanks. I'm going to have to swing by Best Buy to see what it's all about. This laptop will be for my 13 year old, so I want it to see him through high school. He's a product of his generation- nothing fazes him technologically- so I'm sure he would be fine with it. I'm just a little wary that- after the Vista debacle- Windows 7 has filled the role that XP used to with regards to stability, and that 8 is the new Vista... :unsure:

It's nice having access to the Store, but I don't use hardly any apps on a regularly basis. Mostly all programs I installed that run in desktop mode. I expect that may change over time as more apps are released, we'll see. Also, some apps are not yet programming things correctly to support both mouse and touch. I think those kinds of things will be resolved as developers get more familiar with app programming, but for now some apps can be hit or miss depending on the app programming.
Is the App Store the only way to download new applications like on Android or iOSs? Or can I just install by downloading an exe or popping in a disk like before?
As long as you aren't using Windows RT, you can download and install software just like you're used to. I've only had to use Windows 7 compatibility mode for one app, and that's not one a general user is going to install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using Windows 8 at work for the last 2 days. In desktop mode, it's 95% like using Windows 7. I think I like the Start Screen better than the old Start Menu. I don't like the hot corner shortcuts when using dual monitors. I haven't had any trouble with installing apps I used under 7. The 5% differences in desktop mode is going to frustrate point and clickers at first, until they learn the new places things exist to do common tasks, like restart. I think Windows 8 would be a great experience on a tablet. I'm sure I'll have one come my way soon for testing.Haven't had any crashes, bugs, slowness, glitches or other weirdness. It runs very smoothly, even with only 4GB of RAM.
I took our Windows 8 Surface home for the weekend a few weeks ago, and while I enjoyed it, it cemented my opinion that for me, I wouldn't spend $500+ on a Windows RT tablet (or iOS, FWIW.) I get frustrated by the things I can't do. That being said, I really do like the Surface, and if I WAS going to spend the money for a tablet, it would be right near the top of my list. As far as Windows 8 and what it will run on, I run it on my old 2006 laptop with an old AMD processor and 2GB RAM. It's a bit slow, but faster than XP was on the same machine. I have have Linux on the same machine, and it runs a bit faster, but not much. Was pretty impressed it's performance even on older hardware.

My 9 year old desktop died yesterday... depending on the cost to fix, I may be in the market for a new one. My biggest issue is that all I've used is XP... all my software is XP. How much of a shock/learning curve will there be for me to move to Windows 8, and will any of my old XP software work on W8?

My 9 year old desktop died yesterday... depending on the cost to fix, I may be in the market for a new one. My biggest issue is that all I've used is XP... all my software is XP. How much of a shock/learning curve will there be for me to move to Windows 8, and will any of my old XP software work on W8?
If you do everything in desktop mode then most or all of your programs will work and the learning curve will be small - just like Win7.The learning curve comes if you are using the new interface - usually on a tablet.

If you do everything in desktop mode then most or all of your programs will work and the learning curve will be small - just like Win7.The learning curve comes if you are using the new interface - usually on a tablet.
Good to know... can XP software be used on W8?

Between Vista, Win7 and Win8, Windows 7 is the closest in the user interface to XP.I also believe it to be the much better operating system, just my two cents.

Obviously I can't guarantee everything you have will work, but in general it all works. In the desktop mode though, not in this mode.There's a version of Win8 called Windows RT you may see which runs on some new tablets and laptops. Nothing will work on that, but if you are getting another desktop it isn't an issue.

Obviously I can't guarantee everything you have will work, but in general it all works. In the desktop mode though, not in this mode.There's a version of Win8 called Windows RT you may see which runs on some new tablets and laptops. Nothing will work on that, but if you are getting another desktop it isn't an issue.
Got it... thanks!

'Keerock said:
'17seconds said:
'Keerock said:
'17seconds said:
'Keerock said:
Got it... thanks!
I run a fair amount of XP software, occasionally I have to run the compatibility wizard and tell Windows 8 to run it as XP. I had to do that for a few programs in Windows 7 as well though. I think the main thing I'm running into (which I doubt you'll see with a new machine) is that some of my hardware components are old enough that drivers aren't being released that are Windows 8 compatible. But once they are installed, they work just fine.Btw, seeing a really nice deal on a Vizio Windows 8 Thin and Light laptop at the Microsoft Store, of all places. Might pull the trigger on this one, been looking for portability and willing to give up a little in the specs department to keep it under $1K.15.6" 1920x1080 screen, i7 (dual core, not quad), 4GB ram and a 256SSD. No optical drive, but my wife has an external floating around. Not crazy about the keyboard, but it's similar to my current laptop, so I can live with it. Priced at $799. - http://bit.ly/Wh43a3

Shockingly very good ad from Microsoft released yesterday.

Agreed. I like that. I have the Win8 software to install on my wife's laptop, but still haven't done it. Will I basically need to reinstall every program that I currently have on the laptop if I'm coming from Vista?

Update: Old desktop issue was a bad video card. Removed and plugged monitor into on-board analog fixed the problem. I don't imagine it will be long before something else goes wrong, but until then, sticking with it.

Upgrade my old netbook on the week. Seems pretty good but it'll take a while to get used to it. Really miss the start menu but that'll be fine once I learn enough of the hotkeys. It kills my battery ridiculously quick compared to Win 7.

One of the guys here upgraded to 8 over the weekend. Says he loves it and his notebook is a lot faster. My boss got an Asus Win8 tablet and he loves it. Says he likes it better than the I-Pad. Which will make his wife happy as I guess he'll stop using hers.

Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landedSlab builders ignored Redmond, claims Reg sourceBy Gavin ClarkePosted in Hardware, 24th January 2013 10:04 GMTFree whitepaper – AccelOps’ Unified Infrastructure Management ExaminedExclusive Microsoft blames PC makers for underwhelming Windows 8 sales over Christmas, The Register has learned. The software giant accused manufacturers of not building enough attractive Win 8-powered touchscreen tablets.But the computer makers are fighting back: they claimed that if they’d followed Microsoft’s hardware requirements and ramped up production, they'd have ended up building a lot of high-end expensive slabs that consumers didn’t understand nor want.The Reg has learned Microsoft provided clear and specific guidance on the hardware it wanted inside any machine running Windows 8 so as to show off and utilise the operating system's new capabilities, such as the touch-driven interface. Microsoft also gave its advice on the mix of high and low-end form-factors manufacturers should build, namely Ultrabooks, hybrids and simple laptops.The Redmond giant had held a competition between competing computer makers, and the PCs it deemed the best were to be promoted under two labels: Hero PCs and Featured PCs. Microsoft wanted 10 Hero PCs to advertise globally and promised to pay retailers to display and promote 20 PCs on the Featured list.However, the wheels came off that plan: Gartner said last week that during Q4 2012 Windows 8 didn’t make a “significant impact” on PC shipments and other analysts said sales of Windows 8 are lagging Windows 7.Now Microsoft is planning to reboot its launch of Windows 8 next month. On Tuesday the company gave 9 February as the date for the US and Canada unveiling [1] of the Intel-powered Surface Pro tablets. But sources tell us Microsoft is actually preparing for a February “relaunch” of Windows 8.The Windows Pro Surface was planned to emerge in January, 90 days after Windows 8 and ARM-powered Windows RT Surface devices went on sale. That has clearly slipped.Our well-placed source said that bad sales combined with PC makers “ignoring” Microsoft's advice has left Redmond executives fuming.“Microsoft is very frustrated with major OEMs who didn't build nearly enough touch systems and are now struggling to find parts and ramp up. Microsoft says they provided very specific guidance on what to build,” our insider said.Badge of honour: Vista revisitedWhen new versions of Windows are released, Microsoft usually gives minimum hardware specs for the operating system to PC makers as part of its logo programmes: machines that meet the requirements get an official Redmond badge to reassure buyers. It should be stressed that these specifications are always pitched as the minimum needed to get the OS running.One recent example is the notorious "Windows Vista Premium Ready" and "Windows Vista Premium Capable" badges. That programme landed Microsoft with a lawsuit as litigants claimed Microsoft misled them on what “capable” meant. It emerged Microsoft had played fast and loose [2] with its own rules to help Intel, classifying PCs as capable when they weren’t.You can see the Vista specs here [3].Windows 8, though, was a radical departure that Microsoft had to flaunt. It introduced touchscreen input; called for apps capable of running on ARM chipsets from Qualcomm, Texas Instruments and NVIDIA; and required PC makers install firmware capable of cryptographically authorising the boot up of the operating system.A separate source at a major Windows 8 PC maker confirmed frustration is simmering inside Microsoft, and the blame is settling on PC makers. He said [Microsoft] “is pinning the blame on the manufacturers for not having enough touch-based product”.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------'We couldn’t afford to make lots of product, lots of high-priced touch'PC makers, though, are hitting back after Redmond's finger-pointing - countering that if they’d followed Microsoft’s advice they’d have ended up building very expensive tablets and would have been saddled with the costs of a huge piles of unsold units. Those who did buy Windows 8 PCs ultimately bought the cheap laptops not high-end Ultrabooks or hybrids.One Reg source told us Microsoft isn’t blaming OEMs publicly, but doing so in private in meetings assisted with PowerPoint presentations. “There was a big debate, and we said: 'It’s not like that.' We couldn’t afford to make lots of product, lots of high-priced touch. We found people would look at nice high-end products and buy £299 devices instead,” the contact said.The source also criticised the Hero PC and Featured PC programmes, calling the process "opaque".The PC makers also blame Microsoft for sowing confusion with its Surface tablet. Among the manufacturers, it is perceived that the Microsoft-branded slab failed to educate users about the new touch user interface and distracted the software giant - leading to its failure to put adequate marketing muscle behind the launch of ordinary Windows 8 PCs.The European launch of Windows 8 lacked the punch and focus expected by PC makers, as Microsoft focussed much of its efforts on the US and Surface.“Microsoft is not blaming itself for not selling enough Surface, it’s blaming OEMs for not having enough touch-based product,” our supply chain source said.The Reg asked Microsoft to comment on its sales in the final quarter of 2012. We also asked what the company believes is responsible for the fact Windows 8 didn't have a "significant" impact - as per Gartner's statement. El Reg also quizzed the firm on whether it believes more touch would help sales of PCs in Q1 and Q2 of 2013, and which steps Microsoft taking now.Finally, we asked what guidance Microsoft had provided manufacturers.In a statement attributed to Windows business planning general manager Bernardo Caldas, Microsoft said it works closely with hardware partners on a list of selected devices which it believes “people will love and that showcase the best of the Windows 8 user experience. This is not a new process for Windows”.On those Q4 sales, Microsoft claimed 60 million Windows 8 licences had been sold to date - pointing to comments made by Windows division chief financial officer and chief marketing officer Tami Reller at a JP Morgan conference.Microsoft did say that the figure of 60 million could be attributed to upgrades and sales to manufacturers – so not sales of actual PCs to the end user. Reller had claimed the 60 million was “roughly in line with where we would have been with Windows 7".On the plans to help Q1 and Q2 sales and of a marketing reboot, Microsoft reckoned it was pleased with uptake of Windows 8 and said: “We work closely with our OEM partners to put a great hardware assortment that brings Windows 8 experiences to life at the center of our marketing campaigns – three key hardware refresh and selling timeframes for OEMs and Microsoft campaigns continue to be: spring, back to school and holiday."As market conditions evolve, we will continue to work in tandem with PC makers on creating successful and compelling campaigns.” ®
:lmao:

Finally played around on a Surface yesterday, it was very impressive. Still have no desire to have Windows 8 on a non-touch device though.

Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landedSlab builders ignored Redmond, claims Reg source
:lmao:
It's true though. The hardware OEMs, fearing little uptake from enterprises, have pretty much all taken a cautious approach. When everybody is in a wait-and-see mode, then you get a lackluster launch. They haven't been going all-in like other Windows launches.That's MSFTs fault anyway though because it comes from the OEMs seeing this radical approach and people being very happy with Windows 7.

'Mr. Pickles said:
Sorry, this looks like garbage. I have no interest in an upgrade.
Got two guys with several decades of IT/Microsoft experience between them saying it runs great and that the whole brouhaha over the touch stuff is ridiculously overblown. Also we have shown the tablet to our first corporate customer and they have placed their order. So this idea of a lack of corporate uptake seems like it may be overblown to me as well. Once they see it and understand it, which takes about 15 minutes, they like it. So far. We have a meeting with a bunch of lawyers next we'll see what they think.

Pretty simple to me: - probably a majority of the population wants to be able to watch YouTube and post stuff on Facebook and play Cut the Rope. iPad, Kindle, and Android is great at that stuff. - a significant portion of the world that does actual work on their machines has been using XP for a decade, and was scared of even upgrading to Win7. This thing is neither of those. It's potent, and cool, but it's not XP, and it's not an iPad. I personally don't like using it on a non-tablet, but on a touch device, it's seriously a different level from the iPad. The iPad is a toy compared to a Surface.I sincerely don't care whether it's a success or not, but it's really a well-done product.

Bought my mom a new laptop last weekend with 8 on it. Added the start menu back and showed her the desktop tile. Surprisingly she didnt call me once with a question during the week and said she prefers the metro interface to the old desktop. She is petrified of change and not technical at all so I was pretty surprised.I played with it for a day before I gave it to her. I like the new interface, it works for a home user. Once you get used to the corners and learn some shortcuts its decent. I have no idea why they removed the start menu though. They should have given you an option at the very least. I cant see any company ever switching to it though instead of 7.

Bought my mom a new laptop last weekend with 8 on it. Added the start menu back and showed her the desktop tile. Surprisingly she didnt call me once with a question during the week and said she prefers the metro interface to the old desktop. She is petrified of change and not technical at all so I was pretty surprised.I played with it for a day before I gave it to her. I like the new interface, it works for a home user. Once you get used to the corners and learn some shortcuts its decent. I have no idea why they removed the start menu though. They should have given you an option at the very least. I cant see any company ever switching to it though instead of 7.
I think you are seriously mistaken. Companies don't like BYOD(Bring Your Own Device) but they know the pad is where the action is. They do like Microsoft. Well like is probably too much let's say they are used to it. And they would like to have one operating system to support. One they know. We are getting lots of interest from several corporate customers.

'Slapdash said:
One of my blog feeds from an IT guy who works in Ireland. He's a Microsoft MVP, but he deals with enterprise stuff. He was constantly noting how Windows 8 devices were basically non-existent in stores. Kind of hard to sell things if they aren't made available.

Pretty simple to me: - probably a majority of the population wants to be able to watch YouTube and post stuff on Facebook and play Cut the Rope. iPad, Kindle, and Android is great at that stuff. - a significant portion of the world that does actual work on their machines has been using XP for a decade, and was scared of even upgrading to Win7. This thing is neither of those. It's potent, and cool, but it's not XP, and it's not an iPad. I personally don't like using it on a non-tablet, but on a touch device, it's seriously a different level from the iPad. The iPad is a toy compared to a Surface.I sincerely don't care whether it's a success or not, but it's really a well-done product.
This. The problem is that they decided there should just be one OS for each set of users. If they had just released 8 as a purely touchscreen OS there wouldn't really be any complaints. In fact, 8 probably would be a smashing success because it blows Apple and Android out of the water on tablets.

'Slapdash said:
One of my blog feeds from an IT guy who works in Ireland. He's a Microsoft MVP, but he deals with enterprise stuff. He was constantly noting how Windows 8 devices were basically non-existent in stores. Kind of hard to sell things if they aren't made available.
Yeah we ordered our tablets before Christmas. We didn't get them until last week. Supply is definitely lagging demand.

I think you are seriously mistaken. Companies don't like BYOD(Bring Your Own Device) but they know the pad is where the action is. They do like Microsoft. Well like is probably too much let's say they are used to it. And they would like to have one operating system to support. One they know. We are getting lots of interest from several corporate customers.
It's mostly about knowing that the tools we use to manage devices now will work.

'Slapdash said:
How are any stores selling desktops and laptops without Windows 8?

It's mostly about knowing that the tools we use to manage devices now will work.
True

This. The problem is that they decided there should just be one OS for each set of users. If they had just released 8 as a purely touchscreen OS there wouldn't really be any complaints. In fact, 8 probably would be a smashing success because it blows Apple and Android out of the water on tablets.
The early scuttlebutt when 8 was announced was that it would be tablet only and you'd continue to use Windows 7 on the desktop. I think that is going to end up happening anyway. I've already told my director that's the path we should take. Keep Windows 7 on workstations/laptops but allow Windows 8 touch screen devices.

The early scuttlebutt when 8 was announced was that it would be tablet only and you'd continue to use Windows 7 on the desktop. I think that is going to end up happening anyway. I've already told my director that's the path we should take. Keep Windows 7 on workstations/laptops but allow Windows 8 touch screen devices.
Yeah. That seems like way too much of a no-brainer for MSFT to have done it.

I recently purchased an Asus laptop (non touch screen) with Windows 8. After a couple days of playing around with it, I've grown to like Windows 8 reasonably well. Definitely has a smart phone or tablet vibe and seems ideal for touch screen usage. I've only had the laptop for 2 weeks ish, but so far I don't have any major gripes with Windows 8. The lack of the start menu is strange, but I'm adjusting (really using the shortcut keys etc.). I know I can add a 3rd party start menu, but I want to wait on that to see if I can get used to a world without it.

'Slapdash said:
Sorry, they aren't selling Windows 8 touch devices. They are selling Windows 8 on laptops and desktops though. That was his main complaint. Everyone wants to buy tablets now and there's no Windows 8 tablets in the major stores he's seeing in the UK and Germany. Windows 8 touch devices are basically non existent in the channel.His other gripe was the selling experience. He compared it to Apple Stores where the product is laid out logically. Macbooks are in one place, iPads are in another. When you go into a store selling Windows devices, it's a hot mess. Windows 7 mixed with Windows 8. Ultrabooks mixed with tablets.

Maybe I just haven't found it yet, but the only thing that really pisses me about 8 is no run/search box. So used to hitting the windows key then just typing in the app name.

I bought a Gateway laptop with Windows 8 in November. It's pretty good, my main issue was with the app switching, which can be disabled. A few minor complaints (Can't access pics or music directly through the desktop anymore, and no games that I've found on the system, everything's through Xbox, apparently), but overall, a pretty good system for getting online and basic computer stuff. I still don't like having to buy Office if I want it, but fortunately OpenOffice works fine.

I recently purchased an Asus laptop (non touch screen) with Windows 8. After a couple days of playing around with it, I've grown to like Windows 8 reasonably well. Definitely has a smart phone or tablet vibe and seems ideal for touch screen usage. I've only had the laptop for 2 weeks ish, but so far I don't have any major gripes with Windows 8. The lack of the start menu is strange, but I'm adjusting (really using the shortcut keys etc.). I know I can add a 3rd party start menu, but I want to wait on that to see if I can get used to a world without it.
I needed to get a cheapass laptop and ordered a Dell. Had to take Windows 8. Haven't spent a whole lot of time with it so right now I've been going to desktop mode because the W8 stuff annoys the piss out of me. I've got to spend more time with it obviously. Does it bother you when you want to surf that you default to Bing and then get blitzed with what is trending? Topics that my kids don't need to be reading about.I'm compooter stupit so maybe I can switch it to Google. I just want my plain old Google search engine to come up. Bing tries to bombard me with idiotic stories that they think I should be interested in.

Yeah. That seems like way too much of a no-brainer for MSFT to have done it.
i get the idyllic goal of "one OS to run them all". but why mash up two very different business models? Corporate and heavy home office users want stability, power, flexibility, security, and networking. The tablet and media consumer wants simplicity, communication tools, apps, and did i mention simplicity?Without knowing much about supply lines, upgrade schedules, and future OS plans, it just doesnt make any sense to me why MS is trying to force two biz models into the same product. All while destroying years of hard work on their core strength...MS = What you use in non-artsy office settings

I needed to get a cheapass laptop and ordered a Dell. Had to take Windows 8. Haven't spent a whole lot of time with it so right now I've been going to desktop mode because the W8 stuff annoys the piss out of me. I've got to spend more time with it obviously. Does it bother you when you want to surf that you default to Bing and then get blitzed with what is trending? Topics that my kids don't need to be reading about.I'm compooter stupit so maybe I can switch it to Google. I just want my plain old Google search engine to come up. Bing tries to bombard me with idiotic stories that they think I should be interested in.
Yeah, I added Google to the search menu. Further, I downloaded Firefox for my web browser, as a matter of preference (using it from the desktop and not UI once it is launched/opoened). The live tiles are interesting and may stream headlines that you don't want the kiddos to see. However, you can change the tiles around... or remove certain ones all together. The world news tile might be one you want to remove (and you can do that for just their log in and not yours, I do believe). No denying though, W8 takes some time to adjust to. I'm still learning some of the shortcuts and things.

Maybe I just haven't found it yet, but the only thing that really pisses me about 8 is no run/search box. So used to hitting the windows key then just typing in the app name.
Hit the windows key and start typing the app name. Don't look for a box

:thumbup:Always quit typing when it took me back to the tiles.
Yeah, the search is built in, but non-obvious. WIN-X and WIN-E are my two most used shortcuts.

'Slapdash said:
Sorry, they aren't selling Windows 8 touch devices. They are selling Windows 8 on laptops and desktops though. That was his main complaint. Everyone wants to buy tablets now and there's no Windows 8 tablets in the major stores he's seeing in the UK and Germany. Windows 8 touch devices are basically non existent in the channel.His other gripe was the selling experience. He compared it to Apple Stores where the product is laid out logically. Macbooks are in one place, iPads are in another. When you go into a store selling Windows devices, it's a hot mess. Windows 7 mixed with Windows 8. Ultrabooks mixed with tablets.
I have seen plenty of advertisement for OEM touch devices on TV, haven't really looked around in stores for them. I did see a Microsoft Store (kiosk) at the mall this weekend. Seems to me like if there is a shortage of Windows 8 tablets that falls on Microsoft's shoulders. You can't announce the Surface and advertise it clicking like crazy and not have them in the stores. It doesn't surprise me at all that OEMs didn't rush to put out touch tablets since they are probably concerned both about cannibalizing existing lines and supporting a new competitor in manufacturing. I also don't get the complaint that each retailer isn't creating an Apple experience for them. They need to do it themselves if that is what they want.As an aside, I don’t see how Ballmer survives this blunder. They have (finally) created a really great product yet they have mismanaged every aspect of it.

'Slapdash said:
I have seen plenty of advertisement for OEM touch devices on TV, haven't really looked around in stores for them. I did see a Microsoft Store (kiosk) at the mall this weekend. Seems to me like if there is a shortage of Windows 8 tablets that falls on Microsoft's shoulders. You can't announce the Surface and advertise it clicking like crazy and not have them in the stores. It doesn't surprise me at all that OEMs didn't rush to put out touch tablets since they are probably concerned both about cannibalizing existing lines and supporting a new competitor in manufacturing. I also don't get the complaint that each retailer isn't creating an Apple experience for them. They need to do it themselves if that is what they want.As an aside, I don’t see how Ballmer survives this blunder. They have (finally) created a really great product yet they have mismanaged every aspect of it.
The first complaint (lack of supply) was directed at the OEMs.The second complaint (lack of good experience) was directed at Microsoft.

:thumbup:Always quit typing when it took me back to the tiles.
Yeah, the search is built in, but non-obvious. WIN-X and WIN-E are my two most used shortcuts.
WIN-D (to go to desktop) and WIN to go to search

Upgraded last night I like it and the tiles menu is nice. One thing that I don't like is sometimes I need to open two file explorers any tips?

This is my experience as well. Replaced my wife's kitchen PC with a new desktop with Win8 back in November. Been rock solid. I've been in a Windows admin role in one way or another since 1994. I wouldn't put it on enterprise desktops because the learning curve for users would hit the help desk, but all of my home apps run solid and perform well on it. If/when it ever hits enterprise computing depends on how long it takes people to get used to it on their personal devices.

Upgraded last night I like it and the tiles menu is nice. One thing that I don't like is sometimes I need to open two file explorers any tips?
you want to open multiple file explorers but cant? If so WIN-X and then select File Explorer. Rinse and repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread