What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Microsoft Windows 8 (Eight) Released (1 Viewer)

Can someone please tell me how to make my screen bigger. I somehow managed to zoom way out and can no longer read an important screen. Man I hate windows 8.

Got some the new Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 at work to test drive. They are designed much nicer than the Android ThinkPad Tablet. It was a ####ty "me too" tablet. They come with an optional digitizer pen. I haven't really messed with one yet, but I saw it had a dock. Hope it's better than that PoS magnet dock they had on the Tablet 1.

This thing sucks balls! I want my old windows back. NO startup button? GTFO.
My only complaint about Windows 8 is not something I struggle with, but it is the lack of visual cues on what to do. That being said, the start button is right where it has always been, just click in the bottom left corner. Once you've been using it for a week, it is pretty much a moot point. Oh, and every keyboard made in the last 10 years has a Windows start button. Press it, it works.

Got some the new Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 at work to test drive. They are designed much nicer than the Android ThinkPad Tablet. It was a ####ty "me too" tablet. They come with an optional digitizer pen. I haven't really messed with one yet, but I saw it had a dock. Hope it's better than that PoS magnet dock they had on the Tablet 1.
I had thought about buying one of these when they came out. They were delayed plus never in the stores to look at. Saw my first Surface at worst buy last week and liked the look, bigger screen and so forth. Would not mind hearing what you think of the Think Pad. I looks top notch on the net compared to other Win8 tablets. Price is a kicker for me though.

Love windows 8, much faster and more efficient. Don't understand people who complain about the old start menu, it was completely pointless.

Love windows 8, much faster and more efficient. Don't understand people who complain about the old start menu, it was completely pointless.
I agree with the faster and more efficient. I am one of those that miss(ed) the Start menu. I just couldn't get used to the Windows key or hovering the mouse in the corner to bring up a full screen of tiles. I have a Dell desktop (quad core processor, 8GB of RAM); I was running 64 bit VISTA and I would say this computer has always been a dog. Within the last month, I upgraded to Win8 for $40! The install was painless to upgrade to 64 bit Win8. I noticed the performance improvements immediately, but I could NOT get used to the tiles. The Desktop app gives the appearance of classic windows. As I said, I still hated the implementation of the start/tiles so I downloaded Start8 (Stardock) for $4.99 which completely restores the classic windows start menu and functionality. It was the best $5 I've spent in a while. For a total investment of ~ $45, I feel like I have a whole new computer!!! I don't need any of the tiles, or to hover to search. etc.; however, all of that functionality is still there if I ever need it.Bottom line, it's a huge and worthwhile upgrade from VISTA. I just needed a little extra help (restoring the classic windows start menu) to love it.

I agree with the faster and more efficient. I am one of those that miss(ed) the Start menu. I just couldn't get used to the Windows key or hovering the mouse in the corner to bring up a full screen of tiles. I have a Dell desktop (quad core processor, 8GB of RAM); I was running 64 bit VISTA and I would say this computer has always been a dog. Within the last month, I upgraded to Win8 for $40! The install was painless to upgrade to 64 bit Win8. I noticed the performance improvements immediately, but I could NOT get used to the tiles. The Desktop app gives the appearance of classic windows. As I said, I still hated the implementation of the start/tiles so I downloaded Start8 (Stardock) for $4.99 which completely restores the classic windows start menu and functionality. It was the best $5 I've spent in a while. For a total investment of ~ $45, I feel like I have a whole new computer!!! I don't need any of the tiles, or to hover to search. etc.; however, all of that functionality is still there if I ever need it.Bottom line, it's a huge and worthwhile upgrade from VISTA. I just needed a little extra help (restoring the classic windows start menu) to love it.
Free version:http://www.classicstart8.com/?cfg=3

This thing sucks balls! I want my old windows back. NO startup button? GTFO.
My only complaint about Windows 8 is not something I struggle with, but it is the lack of visual cues on what to do. That being said, the start button is right where it has always been, just click in the bottom left corner. Once you've been using it for a week, it is pretty much a moot point. Oh, and every keyboard made in the last 10 years has a Windows start button. Press it, it works.
Yeah I see the windows hot key, but I just want the old windows back. Where I knew where everything was, and every I move my mouse to a corner I get unwanted popups.

I had thought about buying one of these when they came out. They were delayed plus never in the stores to look at. Saw my first Surface at worst buy last week and liked the look, bigger screen and so forth. Would not mind hearing what you think of the Think Pad. I looks top notch on the net compared to other Win8 tablets. Price is a kicker for me though.
$729 for a full blown Windows 8 Pro tablet. $850 if you want the keyboard and stand. How much are you looking to pay? I think that's cheaper than the base Surface Pro model.

$729 for a full blown Windows 8 Pro tablet. $850 if you want the keyboard and stand. How much are you looking to pay? I think that's cheaper than the base Surface Pro model.
I'm torn because I understandnd you do get more but do I "need" that more? From what I've seen and heard the Lenovo ans Surface look nicer and do more than my iPad. Do I have a use for either Windows machine though? At this time I don't but wish I did. So, my output doesn't benefit me right now but it some cases I wish it did. Those two look slick and nice though.

So...anyone else download the 8.1 Preview release and install it? I just finished the install, seems to be running just fine, but we'll see next time I fire up a game or something. Since I was already on Windows 8, all of my programs/apps were still installed, it was basically a really large service pack (2.5GB!?)

Little early for any opinions over Windows 8, but couple of nice things. The start button is back on the taskbar. As I expected, it still opens the Start screen, not a start menu, but that is fine with me. Most importantly, in the taskbar properties is the option to boot directly to the Desktop on startup/login. No more need for a hackish workaround. Start screen has a down pointing arrow that when clicks reveals all the programs installed. I always use search (just start typing) but that is very unintuitive until you figure it out, so that is a nice "fix". Internet Explorer 11 got a new set of developer tools, looks like they've come a long way over the last 2 versions, which were pretty similar. Even if all they did is fix the most glaring problems with the dev tools, they'll be lightyears better than what we had before.

Anyone know if I do a "refresh" my PC Windows 8 if I will lose my WORD files?

Everything was working great until I did the 8.1 update..now I keep getting Page can`t be displayed error messages. And my cut and paste is not working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Everything was working great until I did the 8.1 update..now I keep getting Page can`t be displayed error messages. And my cut and paste is not working.
I had some weird problems after the 8.1 update. Turned out to be some drivers that weren't considered essential updates. Did the driver updates and everything works good again.

I've had the new Windows for a couple of months now and don't get all the whining. It's a little different but it isn't that hard to get used to. It seems to work great.

SacramentoBob said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I've had the new Windows for a couple of months now and don't get all the whining. It's a little different but it isn't that hard to get used to. It seems to work great.
Are you using a touch device or a workstation?
I don't get this question. Win8 is very simple to use whether you have a touch device or not.

The Word documents shouldn't be erased (of course, you should always back up anything you can't bear to lose). You will have to reinstall Word (I misread this when I did that upgrades, it said I'd have to reinstall my "apps", well, I thought apps wasn't the same as "desktop programs". I was wrong, have to reinstall all programs.

I just got Windows 8 yesterday and have Comcast for my email. After calling 3 times last night to comcast, they finally tell me that Windows 8 does not support. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if not, can someone tell me the settings to make my email work.

I just got Windows 8 yesterday and have Comcast for my email. After calling 3 times last night to comcast, they finally tell me that Windows 8 does not support. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if not, can someone tell me the settings to make my email work.
Just use Yahoo! or Gmail.

I'm really, really trying to adjust to the tiles, but I'm finding that I'm having to go to desktop mode still for things. For instance, I have a hybrid tablet/laptop that I can undock, but I can't figure out a way to do it in the tiles. I have to go to desktop mode to find the little thingy that lets me safely eject a device.

I will spend a lot of time on this after work this afternoon. Almost feels like I'm learning to use the computer again.

I have a tough time believing that is true. What mail client are you using?

Also, ditch the comcast email and signup for GMail or Live.

I'm sure its fine for a tablet or a phone, but it's just plain stupid for a PC. The tiles are entirely worthless. Wow, I can have 2 tiles open? Great, I want 10 files 2 browsers with multiple tabs and 3 other apps running at once. That's why I got a computer and not a freaking toy.
Why they decided to make one single OS for two entirely different device types is beyond me. The abilities and experience I want on my mobile device are totally different than the abilities and experience I want on my desktop.
:hifive:

I have never used W8... only seen it. Can't you turn the tiles off and make it work similar to W7 on the PC?

For tablets/phones its great. Not so much for desktops...
That was my point all along. Why would they try to make a single OS that worked on both kinds of devices? It doesn't make sense.

Dumb end-users want what they know how to use.
Or maybe people just don't want an operating system that was designed to work on mobile devices on their desktop computer. :shrug:
The desktop mode is virtually identical to Win 7.

The hate for this is odd. I completely adjusted to a Win8 laptop in about two days.
I'm in the desktop the entire time on my laptop. No reason to be in anything else. It's an extra layer of useless crap to load. Plus, having the crap popup when the cursor goes off the screen is equally worthless and partially a hindrance. Of course, I'd probably prefer if everything was still run off DOS.

ETA - I'm not sure there is a single user facing benefit to Windows 8 over Windows 7 for a desktop/laptop owner, yet there are numerous detriments.

There was likely the same "popular demand" to bring back XP. Dumb end-users want what they know how to use.

For tablets/phones its great. Not so much for desktops...
There was, and only because the successor to XP was Vista, which was a POS. As is Win 8. You'll see more of this I bet, especially if HP's sales go up as a result. MS has already accelerated the rollout timeframe for Win 9 because even they know Win 8 is a POS. Unbelievable that anyone would suggest different.

I pulled the trigger on the Lenovo at the end of March last year. Haven't used it much as I'd like and never did get it set up on my work computer to have a "mobile classroom." I picked it up recently to get this idea going again. Battery was dead and charged it up overnight. Battery either still dead or just not turning on. Left it plugged in during the day. Nothing when I got home.

Called Lenovo after Googling the issue. Seemed to be a common theme for some reason. They're sending me a box to send to them. No hassle and not many questions from them. Probably an issue with them for some reason.

I have the Windows Pro version. One downside is that Windows just does not have the apps to go with it. The machine is nice. If I could only get it to work with my room, that would be awesome.

Also curious to try the smaller version of the Lenovo Windows 8 tablet but am also interested in the iPad Mini. Really interested in the larger iPad coming this year. (Currently have an iPad 2)

I think it's mostly dumb end users.
I am willing to bet that demographic equals about 80% of their user base. It is kind of their job to make it as easy as possible to use for dumb end users.Fwiw I have been in IT for 15 years and, while I dont have a huge problem with it, I find very little benefit to it over 7. Tiles are essentially desktop icons that take up more screen real estate. Hovering your mouse over a screen corner is just dumb UI design, at least 8.1 helps fix that.

Anyway, it is a swing and a miss as an OS. Like vista, most businesses will not upgrade to it.

I think it's mostly dumb end users.
I am willing to bet that demographic equals about 80% of their user base. It is kind of their job to make it as easy as possible to use for dumb end users.Fwiw I have been in IT for 15 years and, while I dont have a huge problem with it, I find very little benefit to it over 7. Tiles are essentially desktop icons that take up more screen real estate. Hovering your mouse over a screen corner is just dumb UI design, at least 8.1 helps fix that.

Anyway, it is a swing and a miss as an OS. Like vista, most businesses will not upgrade to it.
Yeah, I'm waiting for Windows 9. Windows 7 was a home run and I see no reason to move from it now.

I'm really, really trying to adjust to the tiles, but I'm finding that I'm having to go to desktop mode still for things. For instance, I have a hybrid tablet/laptop that I can undock, but I can't figure out a way to do it in the tiles. I have to go to desktop mode to find the little thingy that lets me safely eject a device.

I will spend a lot of time on this after work this afternoon. Almost feels like I'm learning to use the computer again.
Don't bother adjusting to tiles. Think of it this way, your start menu is now a start screen, configure it to boot directly to your desktop (in 8.1) and just use it like you've always used Windows 7 but with better performance.

If you look at Windows 8 like that, it is pretty much a completely fine experience on a desktop/laptop. People that are on tablets/phones can use it like a touch OS...everyone else just have a nice (subjective) start screen to replace their start menu.

Couple tips:

• Don't "hover" for the start menu or side bar (charm's menu), just slam your mouse all the way into the corner and click.
  • Don't "look" for your apps, click start and then just start typing the name - it will search automatically when you start typing and show you your program
  • Right-click in the left bottom corner for the "power users" menu - quick access to things like settings, control panel, network connections, device manager, task manager, etc

Install start menu replacement, never use metro interface, turn off gestures, don't use apps because you have to sign up for a microsoft account for most of them to work. basically, make it windows 7.

Install start menu replacement, never use metro interface, turn off gestures, don't use apps because you have to sign up for a microsoft account for most of them to work. basically, make it windows 7.
Don't install a start menu replacement. Absolutely unnecessary, particularly with Windows 8.1.

Users who are viewing this thread