What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (1 Viewer)

As GM I would sit Nick down and thank him for being a big part why we have a Super Bowl victory. I would explain that we would love to have him on the team again. Then I would ask him what he prefers, stay with the team or have another shot at a starting gig.
Exactly, with what he pulled off let the guy call his shot here. Maybe it’s not the absolute best move for the Eagles, so what he won you the Super Bowl against the Pats in a game Brady threw for over 500 yds. He earned it and then some. 

That's exactly the point.  Why would you trade the Super Bowl MVP QB, leave yourself nothing at backup QB, all with Wentz coming off ACL surgery and not knowing anything about how well or when he'll be ready unless you got a crazy offer?
Because he’s the backup Qb. Everyone has a price and it should be a lot less than that.

That's exactly the point.  Why would you trade the Super Bowl MVP QB, leave yourself nothing at backup QB, all with Wentz coming off ACL surgery and not knowing anything about how well or when he'll be ready unless you got a crazy offer?
Because he’s the backup Qb. Everyone has a price and it should be a lot less than that.
Then he stays an Eagle through the 2018 season.  He's more valuable to them then he is on the open market.  I'm not saying any team will or should offer 2 ones and 2 twos (and yes, that's an insane offer) but the Eagles should not trade him for anything but an insane offer.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 13m

Bill Polian said on ESPN’s NFL Live that, if he were the Eagles’ GM, he wouldn’t listen to any offers for Nick Foles unless they started with “two 1’s and two 2’s.”
Jimmy Kempski‏ @JimmyKempski 43m43 minutes ago

Foles is under contract for one year in which the hope is that he never sees the field, and then he's gone. It's unreal to me that a former GM could make a statement like this.

Then he stays an Eagle through the 2018 season.  He's more valuable to them then he is on the open market.  I'm not saying any team will or should offer 2 ones and 2 twos (and yes, that's an insane offer) but the Eagles should not trade him for anything but an insane offer.
That’s ludicrous

That’s ludicrous
Why, he's under contract and the starting QBs health is still in question.  What would you trade him for?

ETA: I'd like to see them re-work his contract to lower his '18 cap hit and give him some sort of bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why, he's under contract and the starting QBs health is still in question.  What would you trade him for?

ETA: I'd like to see them re-work his contract to lower his '18 cap hit and give him some sort of bonus.
Agreed here, hook my man up with a fat bonus check. Was there any space on last years cap where they could apply it? Probably would have to be a hit going forward but he deserves it. 

From reports Wentz could be ready by week 1 although there's a risk he won't be.  Let's say it's week 5 for discussion purposes.  Now let's say hypothetically they can get a low 1st round pick for him.  They could have a potential difference maker at another position for years to come or a guy to play QB for maybe 4 games, or maybe 0, and an insurance policy for the rest of the year and then he's gone.

Agreed here, hook my man up with a fat bonus check. Was there any space on last years cap where they could apply it? Probably would have to be a hit going forward but he deserves it. 
Yeah what I forgot to include in that was an extension of his contract, not just re-doing it.

From reports Wentz could be ready by week 1 although there's a risk he won't be.  Let's say it's week 5 for discussion purposes.  Now let's say hypothetically they can get a low 1st round pick for him.  They could have a potential difference maker at another position for years to come or a guy to play QB for maybe 4 games, or maybe 0, and an insurance policy for the rest of the year and then he's gone.
Or they could have Marcus Smith 2.0 and start off 0-5. Could really see it go either way, I think they need to let Foles decide what he wants. 

Sure Wentz could be ready.  He could start week 1 and not be himself.  He could get hurt again given his playing style.  A SB MVP caliber backup is a nice luxury to have.  IDK if a low 1 would be enough.  Like I said, I'd prefer they give him an extension that lowers his cap hit for '18 and some nice guaranteed money for the MVP.

I guess Foles is supposed to fight tooth and nail to get released so he can compete for a starting gig on a crap team somewhere because that's what guys in his position are supposed to want. He was almost out of football now he's a Superbowl MVP. I would take a restructure/extension and keep my uniform clean but hey, I'm just keeping it real here...

That was never allowed, and now it's irrelevant because unused cap space rolls forward.  If you charge $5M to "last year" then you just roll $5M less over to this year.

I guess Foles is supposed to fight tooth and nail to get released so he can compete for a starting gig on a crap team somewhere because that's what guys in his position are supposed to want. He was almost out of football now he's a Superbowl MVP. I would take a restructure/extension and keep my uniform clean but hey, I'm just keeping it real here...
.....and be treated like a God in Philly for eternity. 

Sure to you and I that sounds great but competitors want to compete. I can't speak for Foles but that would be unusual for him not to want to start somewhere else. It's not like he's behind a guy with one or two years left in his career and he'll be able to take over at some point.

As GM I would sit Nick down and thank him for being a big part why we have a Super Bowl victory. I would explain that we would love to have him on the team again. Then I would ask him what he prefers, stay with the team or have another shot at a starting gig.
A thousand times this. He deserves to be a starter, and he has the goodwill and thanks of every Eagles fan if he leaves. It's a business decision in the end, but there's no reason NOT to involve NIck heavily in the process. I'd rather take a 3rd to let him go where he wants to go then take an early 2nd to send him to some purgatory (like CLeveland) he doesn't want. Might even help Philly in the FA market to treat him like that.

HOw/why would they do this? If Foles wants to be a backup for the next 4 or 5 years....sure. BUt he's proven himself starter worthy, and deserves a starters salary. Eagles might keep him for 2018, but it seems highly unlikely they'd be able to sign him to a new deal (Keep in mind bonus money COUNTS against the cap, so bonus money on a one year deal is futile.)

HOw/why would they do this? If Foles wants to be a backup for the next 4 or 5 years....sure. BUt he's proven himself starter worthy, and deserves a starters salary. Eagles might keep him for 2018, but it seems highly unlikely they'd be able to sign him to a new deal (Keep in mind bonus money COUNTS against the cap, so bonus money on a one year deal is futile.)
Because if someone told you at the beginning of the season we could win the Super Bowl this year what wouldn’t you have been willing to give up for it? Nick deserves to be very well taken care off, do whatever he wants and if there is a way we can bonus him I’m all for it. 

Because if someone told you at the beginning of the season we could win the Super Bowl this year what wouldn’t you have been willing to give up for it? Nick deserves to be very well taken care off, do whatever he wants and if there is a way we can bonus him I’m all for it. 
all indications are that this is what the team will do. They have shown good will toward others on the team, and there is no reason to sit down Nick and have a genuine conversation with him. Let him know if they get an insane offer they need to consider it, and discuss with Nick some of those implications. 

A thousand times this. He deserves to be a starter, and he has the goodwill and thanks of every Eagles fan if he leaves. It's a business decision in the end, but there's no reason NOT to involve NIck heavily in the process. I'd rather take a 3rd to let him go where he wants to go then take an early 2nd to send him to some purgatory (like CLeveland) he doesn't want. Might even help Philly in the FA market to treat him like that.
I’m all about maximizing value but this makes sense on multiple levels.

Geoff Mosher of FanRag Sports reports the Eagles have already been offered a second-round pick for Nick Foles.

That is almost certainly not enough to get a deal done, but it does confirm other teams are making inquiries about the Super Bowl MVP. MMQB's Peter King reported the Eagles are "confident" Carson Wentz will be ready for Week 1, opening the door for them to trade Foles, but he added they value Foles more highly than Sam Bradford, who fetched a first and a fourth prior to the 2016 season. If this mystery team really wants Foles, they will need to up their offer.

Source: FanRag Sports 

Mar 5 - 12:12 PM

If Wentz is healthy and looks like he’ll be ready for week 1think they have to pull the trigger. Not sure if they can get a first but could see a 2 and a 3 or something like that.

Great stash in dynasty super flex imho.  1 year left on contract.  Imagine a 30 year old super bowl winning qb available as a free agent.

Shows you how foolish a lot of the league is....get this guy and have a coach who can tailor the offense to him and goods things will happen....
If we knew the asking price, it might seem less foolish. Philly seems to be in the A1 position (negotiation wise) and no potential trade partner likes that scenario.

A QB who had a pretty remarkable season in 2013 and then was pretty average for the next 4 seasons. I don't want to take away from the fact that he played well in the playoffs and did help the Eagles win the Superbowl but rumors are the Eagles want more than what they got for Bradford which was a 1st and a 4th. Trading for him means that you are not only going to have to pay a lot but you pretty much have to sign him to a big contract extension right away since you just gave up so much for him. I think most teams will look at the results and what it would take to acquire him and figure on just waiting a year and then decide if they want to go after him when he is a free agent. He probably isn't a plan A or B for most teams and is more likely a plan C or D.

A QB who had a pretty remarkable season in 2013 and then was pretty average for the next 4 seasons. I don't want to take away from the fact that he played well in the playoffs and did help the Eagles win the Superbowl but rumors are the Eagles want more than what they got for Bradford which was a 1st and a 4th. Trading for him means that you are not only going to have to pay a lot but you pretty much have to sign him to a big contract extension right away since you just gave up so much for him. I think most teams will look at the results and what it would take to acquire him and figure on just waiting a year and then decide if they want to go after him when he is a free agent. He probably isn't a plan A or B for most teams and is more likely a plan C or D.
The Eagles didn't really want to trade him. Only if a team was willing to blow them away.

I would be surprised if he gets traded. At $4 mil. he is affordable as a great backup for a QB coming off a season ending knee injury. Next year he is a free agent and will most likely get a chance to move on and start somewhere. Teams aren't going to be willing to pay what the Eagles want for him and the Eagles aren't all that interested in trading him. It seems almost certain he backs up Wentz this year and gets a nice contract to start somewhere else next year and the Eagles get awarded a decent compensatory pick when they lose him.

Warhogs said:
At $4 mil. he is affordable as a great backup
His 2018 cap hit is $7.6M, so he is more expensive than you indicated here. That said, because the team has Wentz on a rookie contract, they are still only paying just under $15M for the QB position, which is less than 19 other teams are paying their starters.

Also, technically, he is not a UFA next year. His contract actually runs through 2021, but the extra years were added for cap purposes, to stretch out his signing bonus. The team has an out after 2018, but will take a cap hit for his remaining signing bonus ($1.8M) at that point.

ETA: @babydemon90 corrected my post below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, technically, he is not a UFA next year. His contract actually runs through 2021, but the extra years were added for cap purposes, to stretch out his signing bonus. The team has an out after 2018, but will take a cap hit for his remaining signing bonus ($1.8M) at that point.
The "team" doesn't have an out, the contract voids if he's on the roster.  The Eagles can't keep him if even if they wanted to, unless Foles restructures.  It's more Foles has the out.

Does this impact the decision to keep him or trade him?
Yes. The incentives, from what I’ve heard, are tied to starts, playoff appearances and Super Bowl. This way if he is traded and a new deal isn’t done he’s not working off of the same crap deal. Same would apply if Wentz misses significant time as well. He can make starter money if/when he starts. 

Users who are viewing this thread