Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Jed

The Nick Foles era

with the superbowl hype long gone, and now this, has nick lost his 'starter' potential.

delegated to career backup, at this point?

Edited by grateful zed

15 hours ago, grateful zed said:

with the superbowl hype long gone, and now this, has nick lost his 'starter' potential.

delegated to career backup, at this point?

Not at all... now he can find his way bay to the Eagles, come in in relief and make the starter look bad, and then sign a big free agent deal somewhere else. Then he'll stink...

Rinse, repeat.

Maybe a situation similar to Brock Osweiler where they will have to trade a pick to get someone to take him off their hands? The one saving grace for the Jags is Minshew is probably under a cheap contract which lessens the pain of what looks like a bad signing.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:34 PM, Mystery Achiever said:

Not gonna happen. The brains of the operation appears to be in Indy.

Seems like Indy could use him now...

On 12/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, Warhogs said:

Maybe a situation similar to Brock Osweiler where they will have to trade a pick to get someone to take him off their hands? The one saving grace for the Jags is Minshew is probably under a cheap contract which lessens the pain of what looks like a bad signing.

I mean, if he had a normal season of playing, it might not have been a bad signing. He's always been somewhat inconsistent, so with the broken collarbone, then benching him after 2 games or so - that's a weird shake. It's a bad signing because he got hurt, Minshew showed potential, and the coaches were scared to commit to Foles. If you'd have given him time, he have sprinked in some great games too.  If you were expecting consistent high level play - well I can't help you, he's never done that in his career so...

12 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

I mean, if he had a normal season of playing, it might not have been a bad signing. He's always been somewhat inconsistent, so with the broken collarbone, then benching him after 2 games or so - that's a weird shake. It's a bad signing because he got hurt, Minshew showed potential, and the coaches were scared to commit to Foles. If you'd have given him time, he have sprinked in some great games too.  If you were expecting consistent high level play - well I can't help you, he's never done that in his career so...

I wasn't expecting anything. I'm not a Jags fan. I thought they paid way too much when they signed him. He is a decent journeyman QB. He is a younger Ryan Fitzpatrick.

More I think about it, more I think they just keep both and open up the competition. Whoever loses will be one of the best backups in the league. Maybe they can trade Foles for something but with that contract might be tough unless they ate a ton of cash and at that point might as well keep him.  I mean he only started two games and was coming off an injury which still could have affected him, so didn't really get a fair shot.

(thehuddle) Jacksonville Jaguars QB Nick Foles' contract offers a potential out with the Jaguars eating $12.5 million in 2021 dead salary cap space and $6.25 million in 2022. The total savings would be $33.625 million over the two years. However, he's essentially guaranteed a roster spot in 2020 with a penalty of $33.875 million in dead money should the Jaguars move on from him.

Analysis: Foles has practically no upside as a fantasy option but can be drafted as a low-tier QB2, if he's to win the starting job. QB Gardner Minshew has a chance to become the primary starter for 2020 and beyond with a strong offseason, but he'll need to learn yet another system. The two should have a spirited battle in the summer months.

I don't really understand how they could go back to Foles after the rookie season Minshew had. I fully expect Minshew to be the starter.