What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (2 Viewers)

with the superbowl hype long gone, and now this, has nick lost his 'starter' potential.

delegated to career backup, at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:
with the superbowl hype long gone, and now this, has nick lost his 'starter' potential.

delegated to career backup, at this point?
Not at all... now he can find his way bay to the Eagles, come in in relief and make the starter look bad, and then sign a big free agent deal somewhere else. Then he'll stink...

Rinse, repeat.

Maybe a situation similar to Brock Osweiler where they will have to trade a pick to get someone to take him off their hands? The one saving grace for the Jags is Minshew is probably under a cheap contract which lessens the pain of what looks like a bad signing.

Maybe a situation similar to Brock Osweiler where they will have to trade a pick to get someone to take him off their hands? The one saving grace for the Jags is Minshew is probably under a cheap contract which lessens the pain of what looks like a bad signing.
I mean, if he had a normal season of playing, it might not have been a bad signing. He's always been somewhat inconsistent, so with the broken collarbone, then benching him after 2 games or so - that's a weird shake. It's a bad signing because he got hurt, Minshew showed potential, and the coaches were scared to commit to Foles. If you'd have given him time, he have sprinked in some great games too.  If you were expecting consistent high level play - well I can't help you, he's never done that in his career so...

I mean, if he had a normal season of playing, it might not have been a bad signing. He's always been somewhat inconsistent, so with the broken collarbone, then benching him after 2 games or so - that's a weird shake. It's a bad signing because he got hurt, Minshew showed potential, and the coaches were scared to commit to Foles. If you'd have given him time, he have sprinked in some great games too.  If you were expecting consistent high level play - well I can't help you, he's never done that in his career so...
I wasn't expecting anything. I'm not a Jags fan. I thought they paid way too much when they signed him. He is a decent journeyman QB. He is a younger Ryan Fitzpatrick.

More I think about it, more I think they just keep both and open up the competition. Whoever loses will be one of the best backups in the league. Maybe they can trade Foles for something but with that contract might be tough unless they ate a ton of cash and at that point might as well keep him.  I mean he only started two games and was coming off an injury which still could have affected him, so didn't really get a fair shot.

(thehuddle) Jacksonville Jaguars QB Nick Foles' contract offers a potential out with the Jaguars eating $12.5 million in 2021 dead salary cap space and $6.25 million in 2022. The total savings would be $33.625 million over the two years. However, he's essentially guaranteed a roster spot in 2020 with a penalty of $33.875 million in dead money should the Jaguars move on from him.

Analysis: Foles has practically no upside as a fantasy option but can be drafted as a low-tier QB2, if he's to win the starting job. QB Gardner Minshew has a chance to become the primary starter for 2020 and beyond with a strong offseason, but he'll need to learn yet another system. The two should have a spirited battle in the summer months.

I don't really understand how they could go back to Foles after the rookie season Minshew had. I fully expect Minshew to be the starter. 

NICK FOLES QB, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone has no timeline for deciding his 2020 starting quarterback.

"It’s not really going to happen until we start playing, in the preseason, because for me, at that position, one of the things that’s important is that the players can see who the best player is," Marrone said. "You have an obligation to everyone in that locker room that you’re putting the best player out there." When Nick Foles wasn't injured last season, he was bad. Sixth-round rookie Gardner Minshew displayed only flashes. It's not a great situation, one that has the Jags in "when you have two quarterbacks you really have zero" territory.

RELATED: 

Gardner Minshew

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Feb 25, 2020, 4:41 PM ET

Profootballtalk confirms the Jaguars are interested in trading Nick Foles but reports there have been "no substantive talks."

It's not hard to understand why, as Foles' albatross $15.125 million salary is fully guaranteed and moving him would trigger an $18.75 million cap charge. CBS' Jason La Canfora reports trading Foles is "likely impossible" unless the Jags kick in a draft pick. Foles' Jags deal had the looks of a disaster from the second it was signed, but it has turned out even worse than expected.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Mar 3, 2020, 5:00 PM ET

Profootballtalk confirms the Jaguars are interested in trading Nick Foles but reports there have been "no substantive talks."

It's not hard to understand why, as Foles' albatross $15.125 million salary is fully guaranteed and moving him would trigger an $18.75 million cap charge. CBS' Jason La Canfora reports trading Foles is "likely impossible" unless the Jags kick in a draft pick. Foles' Jags deal had the looks of a disaster from the second it was signed, but it has turned out even worse than expected.
Foles is this generation's Frank Reich.  A career backup with a few great games.  Combined they have 31 wins in 21 seasons.

Foles is this generation's Frank Reich.  A career backup with a few great games.  Combined they have 31 wins in 21 seasons.
Not the best comparison given 26 of those belong to Foles. Foles was Pro Bowl and SB MVP in different seasons. He began 3 seasons as the team's starter which is not a lot but significantly more than 0. 

I think Foles got kind of screwed this year. He got 2 games to come back from a broken collarbone, before they pulled the plug on him, and one of those games was against a final 4 team in the Titans. Meanwhile, Minshew had led the offense to under 10 points in 2 of his last 4 starts, and the two that were over 10 were the Jets and Bengals. I thought they went back to Minshew a little too soon. 

Foles is still a starting QB in this league in my opinion. Not a franchise guy, obviously, but a low end starter. If some team can get the Jags to trade Foles and pick to them just to get his contract of the books, that would be a great move in my opinion. This isn't Brock Osweiler, Foles can be a useful starter. Frankly, I'd much rather get Foles and a draft pick, then sign Bridgewater or Winston as starters. I'd take him in Chicago.

This is still a QB in his prime, who has won a SB, and makes some very impressive throws at times, without being a TO machine. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Jaguars "are not shopping" Nick Foles.

Garafolo emphasized that coach Doug Marrone and the organization are approaching this situation as an open competition between second-year pro Gardner Minshew and Foles, stating that teams "are contacting the Jaguars" but would have to offer the "right compensation" to move him. This mindset could also be a product of other franchises simply ignoring the Jags as they attempt to part with Foles' outlandish $15.125 million in guaranteed salary. It's obviously going to be tough for Foles to have a fresh start elsewhere given his contract.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 4, 2020, 3:53 PM ET

The Athletics' Michael Lombardi reports the Bears are "trying to get involved with trading for (Jaguars QB) Nick Foles."

Teddy Bridgewater and Andy Dalton have been rumored to be on the Bears' radar as well. It's clear the team is looking to either outright replace Mitchell Trubisky, or at least give him some veteran competition. Foles memorably beat the Bears in Chicago during the infamous double-doink Wild Card matchup. He started just four games last season after breaking his collarbone in Week 1, ultimately getting beat out by rookie Gardner Minshew.

SOURCE: Michael Lombardi on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 2:56 PM ET

Rotoworld:

Bears acquired QB Nick Foles from the Jaguars in exchange for a 2020 fourth-round pick.

Chicago was clearly in the market for competition under center as they were also linked to Andy Dalton prior to this deal. The eight-year vet will reunite with QBs coach John DeFilippo, who he previously worked with during Philadelphia's Super Bowl run and last season in Jacksonville, and coach Matt Nagy, who was Foles' offensive coordinator in Kansas City. The elephant in the room was always the 31-year-old's lofty $15.125 million guaranteed cap hit this year, but his familiarity with the Bears' staff was enough to get this one done. The Jaguars meanwhile will absorb $18.75 million in dead money following this trade, ultimately gifting Foles $30.5 million for four starts. The big-armed signal-caller will arguably be the most competent quarterback contract-year wideout Allen Robinson has worked with in his six seasons in the league.

RELATED: 

Cincinnati Bengals

, Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 18, 2020, 1:31 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Nick Foles has agreed to a restructured contract that allows him to void his deal after either of the next two seasons.

Per Schefter, Foles still has the same amount of guaranteed money remaining, $21 million. So the Bears ... made his contract better? It seems bizarre. The odds that Foles plays well enough to opt out are, of course, slim, so it's a symbolic gesture more than anything else.

Mar 18, 2020, 3:05 PM ET

Could be interesting to see foles vs trubisky. 

Somehow I completely forgot that foles had played in Kansas City. :oldunsure:

As a trubisky owner in a super flex, I feel surprisingly okay with this trade. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NICK FOLES QB, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears GM Ryan Pace said there will be an "open competition" at quarterback between Nick Foles and Mitchell Trubisky.

"When we walk out on the first day, whenever it is whether it’s OTAs or whether it’s training camp, Mitch will be going first in the huddle," Bears coach Matt Nagy reaffirmed. "But it's going to be equal with Foles. There will be equal reps with similar players and against similar players. It's going be extremely competitive." Pace also refused to comment on whether or not the team would pick up Trubisky's fifth-year option for 2021 — a topic both he and Nagy avoided in their season-ending wrap-up conferences, too. Foles is familiar with the entire lot of QBs coach John DeFilippo's (Jaguars, Eagles), OC Bill Razor's (Eagles), and Nagy's (Eagles, Chiefs) offensive schemes, making the 31-year-old veteran the odds-on favorite to win out in any competition and start for the Bears in Week 1.

RELATED: 

Mitchell Trubisky

SOURCE: Chicago Bears on Twitter

Apr 3, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

Equal reps and open competition = Mitch is done. In SF or 2 QB leagues I would be trying to invest in Foles before the cat is out of the bag.

Bears restructured QB Nick Foles' contract.

Foles' new deal is a three-year contract worth $24 million with $21 million fully guaranteed. He'll make $8 million in 2020 and can earn up to $6 million in annual incentives. The modified contract will reduce the cap hit for the Bears, but Foles will still be earning all the cash he was guaranteed from the Jaguars. The move helps open up additional cap space for the Bears to sign another TE (kidding). It seems rather unlikely the Bears pick up Mitchell Trubisky's fifth-year option, meaning that Chicago could suddenly have some available cap space on the horizon.

SOURCE: Spotrac on Twitter

Apr 30, 2020, 11:03 AM ET

Foles will be starting this year and a good 2nd starting qb in SF and 2 qb leagues.  Looks to be a good buy right now before the season really gets going

Man. Left a few years only to come back to page 40 of this where I left off. Just finished up. Some good reading :)

Got the Nick Foles tattoo

NICK FOLES QB, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears coach Matt Nagy said there is "no [QB] competition going on right now over Zoom."

Nick Foles and Mitchell Trubisky are fully expected to begin their "open competition" at some point this offseason, but Nagy made it clear that won't be happening until the team returns to the field. Even if it were to happen over Zoom, Foles would arguably have a leg up given his past experience under QB coach John DeFilippo (Jaguars, Eagles), OC Bill Razor (Eagles), and Nagy (Eagles, Chiefs). Fantasy players should move forward as if it's Foles who will be commanding this offense in September.

RELATED: 

Mitchell Trubisky

SOURCE: Chicago Bears on Twitter

May 16, 2020, 11:06 AM ET

I'm thinking this is a stay away from QB situation. 
Ya know, I would be right there with you but then I saw Ryan tannehill last year.  You talk about a guy that looked as pedestrian as could before almost as decade and then suddenly he's almost taking a team to the super bowl.   I think Mitch still needs some support.  Not sure how much but I wouldn't ignore completely.  They have some good players  and someone has to toss them the ball.  

fun fact...no bear qb has ever thrown for 4000 yards in a season.
I remember Bobby Douglas from the early 70s.  Man he sucked.  He could run a little bit, but was a terrible QB.  Rex Grossman played in the SB and he was about as bad as they come.

Nick Foles completed 16-of-29 passes for 188 yards with three touchdowns and an interception in a 30-26 Week 3 win over the Falcons.

By now this should not surprise us, both in terms of the Falcons blowing a second half lead and Nick Foles creating magic out of a desperate situation. Yes, he got lucky on a few dropped interceptions, but Foles simply made plays and read the defense in a way that Mitchell Trubisky failed to in the first half. The final touchdown was a beautifully lofted ball over the middle of the field to Anthony Miller with pressure in Foles' face. It would be shocking to see Chicago go back to Trubisky in Week 4 against the Colts.

Sep 27, 2020, 4:40 PM ET

Bears coach Matt Nagy said Nick Foles will start for Week 4 against the Colts.

This announcement was inevitable after the veteran replaced Mitchell Trubisky in the second half and led the Bears to a comeback victory over Atlanta. Nagy even stopped to clarify that Foles will be the starter for this week "and beyond." The organization declined Trubisky's fifth-year option for 2021 back in May and are undoubtedly done with that experiment altogether. Even with this decision now in the rearview mirror, Chicago's selection of Trubisky with the No. 2 overall pick over Patrick Mahomes (No. 10) and Deshaun Watson (No. 12) in the 2017 draft will forever be remembered as one of the worst decisions in league history.

RELATED: 

Mitchell Trubisky

Sep 28, 2020, 1:22 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread