What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (6 Viewers)

Maybe but the only reason I can think of would be that Manuel was indeed a first round pick whereas Foles was a third rounder.

Rotoworld:

Nick Foles believes his arm has gotten stronger.
"I feel like (my arm is) even stronger now just training, nutrition, everything," Foles said. "I think that your arm can get stronger." Foles' arm strength has never been a weakness, but is not an overwhelming strength, either. It's more than big enough for the NFL, but can't match up with Michael Vick's. It's unlikely to be a major factor in the Eagles' quarterback competition.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

By definition, an era is a period of time marked by distinctive events. I don't think Nick Foles qualifies.

This is more of a "Nick Foles watch" or "Nick Foles anomaly".

Might take Manuel over him
This. I like Nick Foles and think he can be a successful quarterback. But, for the near future he's going to he in Kelly's offense which may see a 60:40 split in run/pass plays. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Eagles attempted the fewest passes in the league this year. While I think Foles is mobile in the way Peyton is mobile in the pocket, I don't see him running like a Rodgers/Kaepernick/Newton type. Foles is better than the quarterbacks Kelly had at Oregon, but it wouldn't shock me to see a target of 22-25 passing attempts a game. The high side of that range gives 400 attempts for the season. I'll give him a generous YPA of 7.4 (which would have tied for 10th in 2012) and he still gets to 2960 passing yards.

Meanwhile, I think that Foles is likelier to be a serviceable QB than Manuel, but I think Manuel's ceiling is higher. I'd rather swing for a top-6 QB.

This. I like Nick Foles and think he can be a successful quarterback. But, for the near future he's going to he in Kelly's offense which may see a 60:40 split in run/pass plays. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Eagles attempted the fewest passes in the league this year. While I think Foles is mobile in the way Peyton is mobile in the pocket, I don't see him running like a Rodgers/Kaepernick/Newton type. Foles is better than the quarterbacks Kelly had at Oregon, but it wouldn't shock me to see a target of 22-25 passing attempts a game. The high side of that range gives 400 attempts for the season. I'll give him a generous YPA of 7.4 (which would have tied for 10th in 2012) and he still gets to 2960 passing yards.

Meanwhile, I think that Foles is likelier to be a serviceable QB than Manuel, but I think Manuel's ceiling is higher. I'd rather swing for a top-6 QB.
I see Manuel as more of a flip than an investment.

That'd work too, but with the wealth of young QB talent (Luck, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, Stafford, Newton) and the highly productive veterans (Brady, Brees, Manning, Ryan, Romo, Rodgers) I think it's risky to invest much in a QB to flip. Unless you're in a very large league (16-20) or a 2QB league, most owners will be satisfied to happy with their quarterback situation and likely wont give much for Manuel.

Gawain said:
ShaHBucks said:
Gawain said:

That'd work too, but with the wealth of young QB talent (Luck, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, Stafford, Newton) and the highly productive veterans (Brady, Brees, Manning, Ryan, Romo, Rodgers) I think it's risky to invest much in a QB to flip. Unless you're in a very large league (16-20) or a 2QB league, most owners will be satisfied to happy with their quarterback situation and likely wont give much for Manuel.
I agree. Even when you look at next years class Manuel becomes even less attractive. I wouldn't touch Manuel personally but I consistently see him fall in drafts when there's value to be had in flipping him once he's announced as a starter. Either that or hoping and praying he runs some form of read-option. This season I don't see him beating out Kolb whereas everything is starting to look up for Foles. I'd place Foles in my top-5 for sure if he was somehowe eligible in a rookie draft. Manuel is in the mid-teens for me.

Gawain said:
ShaHBucks said:
Gawain said:

I agree. Even when you look at next years class Manuel becomes even less attractive. I wouldn't touch Manuel personally but I consistently see him fall in drafts when there's value to be had in flipping him once he's announced as a starter. Either that or hoping and praying he runs some form of read-option. This season I don't see him beating out Kolb whereas everything is starting to look up for Foles. I'd place Foles in my top-5 for sure if he was somehowe eligible in a rookie draft. Manuel is in the mid-teens for me.
That was the only part I was wondering. Are second year players typically eligible in Dynasty rookie drafts?

Gawain said:
ShaHBucks said:
Gawain said:

That was the only part I was wondering. Are second year players typically eligible in Dynasty rookie drafts?
he was released in one of my drafts in the first round. This put him into the pool.

Heard Mosher on the radio this afternoon (talking about Maclin's injury :wall: ). Foles stood out again today. Not that Vick looked bad, but Foles just looks better. Some twitter quotes:

Geoff Mosher ‏@GeoffMosherCSN 1h

Foles looking very good today, hits Damaris in stride over middle, comes back and threads one to Ertz between 2 defenders

Foles doing a nice job of looking off primary receivers and hitting secondary targets

Heard Mosher on the radio this afternoon (talking about Maclin's injury :wall: ). Foles stood out again today. Not that Vick looked bad, but Foles just looks better. Some twitter quotes:Geoff Mosher ‏@GeoffMosherCSN 1h

Foles looking very good today, hits Damaris in stride over middle, comes back and threads one to Ertz between 2 defenders

Foles doing a nice job of looking off primary receivers and hitting secondary targets
Maclin's in a contract yea too. Dam

Rotoworld:

NJ.com says Nick Foles "hasn't looked the same" since the Eagles began practicing in pads Sunday.
Practice has intensified over the last few days and Michael Vick appears to be the one stepping his game up. On Wednesday, he excelled during his 24 first-team reps while Foles was just average on his 13 first-team snaps. Coach Chip Kelly continues to say that he won't truly be able to evaluate his quarterbacks until preseason games when they're facing a live pass rush. We still consider this Vick's job to lose.

Related: Michael Vick

Source: NJ.com

Rotoworld:

NJ.com says Nick Foles "hasn't looked the same" since the Eagles began practicing in pads Sunday.

Practice has intensified over the last few days and Michael Vick appears to be the one stepping his game up. On Wednesday, he excelled during his 24 first-team reps while Foles was just average on his 13 first-team snaps. Coach Chip Kelly continues to say that he won't truly be able to evaluate his quarterbacks until preseason games when they're facing a live pass rush. We still consider this Vick's job to lose.

Related: Michael Vick

Source: NJ.com
@Jeff_McLane: One reason Nick Foles took less snaps was because he tossed a pick thus ending a set of plays. But this was the greatest disparity so far.

Through training camp so far in live passing drills...

Vick: 87 of 121, 5 TD, 1 INT
Foles: 92 of 121, 5 TD, 1 INT

Obviously the #s don't tell you anything except that it's been close relative to each other. Does Vick get the edge with his rushing ability? Or does Foles get the edge due to development potential and cheaper contract?

I'm sure Kelly isn't too excited about the prospect of benching or cutting Vick after the Cooper thing too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obviously the #s don't tell you anything except relative to each other that it's been close. Does Vick get the edge with his rushing ability? Or does Foles get the edge due to development potential and cheaper contract?

I'm sure Kelly isn't too excited about the prospect of benching or cutting Vick after the Cooper thing too.
FWIW, I believe a couple of Vicks TD's were of the fluke variety...one on the goaline where he rolled all the way left threw back right off his back foot for what turned inot a TD. The stats look good but I'm sure that was something Kelly would have liked to see done different by a 10 year vet.

Obviously the #s don't tell you anything except relative to each other that it's been close. Does Vick get the edge with his rushing ability? Or does Foles get the edge due to development potential and cheaper contract?

I've heard it speculated by beat writers that Vick would have to clearly out play Foles to win the job due to the bolded. I think what they would love is for Barkley to show significant improvement so they can cut Vick and go with the youth movement - Foles 1, MB 2.

IF Vick brings no significant upside, I see no reason to keep him on a rebuilding team. Move on.

As a Foles dynasty owner I'm finding one of the most difficult things this summer is not getting caught up in the day to day of this battle. I'm trying to save it until at least the first preseason game.

I still don't know what Chip Kelly will do. The biggest takeaway I have from the camp reports is that Foles has his deep game in check. I thought that was a plus for him at arizona and last preseason. He struggled with throwing deep during the season. That's going to be a huge factor in the QB competition.

I've heard it speculated by beat writers that Vick would have to clearly out play Foles to win the job due to the bolded. I think what they would love is for Barkley to show significant improvement so they can cut Vick and go with the youth movement - Foles 1, MB 2.IF Vick brings no significant upside, I see no reason to keep him on a rebuilding team. Move on.
Exactly.

FWIW, I believe a couple of Vicks TD's were of the fluke variety...one on the goaline where he rolled all the way left threw back right off his back foot for what turned inot a TD. The stats look good but I'm sure that was something Kelly would have liked to see done different by a 10 year vet.
I read Chip Kelly gave Vick a hi-5 for doing that before in OTA's :/

Tremendous value play in fantasy drafts after the Vick sensation last night and likely being named the starter by Kelly. When Vick inevitably gets hurt a few weeks in, Foles will likely put up numbers that will far exceed his draft spot.

Foles needs to learn how to catch a snap and not freak out throwing an INT in the end zone. Otherwise he looks good, but he needs more time to feel comfortable.

This is Vick's job for now and I don't see it as a competition any longer.

Tremendous value play in fantasy drafts after the Vick sensation last night and likely being named the starter by Kelly. When Vick inevitably gets hurt a few weeks in, Foles will likely put up numbers that will far exceed his draft spot.
:goodposting:

I've been on the Foles bandwagon from before the draft, but right now Vick sure looks good. Nice dynasty hold, but I don't think I'd roster him in redraft. Vick may not play 16, but 12-15 still leaves Foles basically worthless.

I can't say mising this one doesn't sting. Foles will have his day in court. It doesn't look like it will be game 1, but Don't panic in Dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on the Foles bandwagon from before the draft, but right now Vick sure looks good. Nice dynasty hold, but I don't think I'd roster him in redraft. Vick may not play 16, but 12-15 still leaves Foles basically worthless.
Not if the games are the last few of the season.

I'll take the under on Vick playing 12-15 games... and take a 2nd mortgage out on my home to place the bet.

I'll take the under on Vick playing 12-15 games... and take a 2nd mortgage out on my home to place the bet.
Lol idk he added close to 10 pounds of muscle this off season.

Foles would be great in a pocket passing offense but they're making him run the same read option stuff that Vick does, but the defense isn't afraid of Foles' running ability. Kelly said he'd tailor the offense to the talent but he isn't doing that during preseason and it isn't doing Foles any favors. He could run a fast no huddle similar to what NE does with Brady and Foles would look great, and it'd still be able to do the running damage. Instead it seems like Foles isn't really being given a real chance - its like fitting a square peg into a round hole. I like Foles' upside as a pocket passer but that's not the offense Philly has used him in this season.

If Vick gets injured and they go a bit more traditional with Foles in this season, he could post some real big numbers.

Vick will likely post decent numbers thanks to his running totals though early in the season... so it'll have to happen after a Vick injury, or the Eagles starting off poorly, which is likely because their early schedule is absolutely brutal.

Foles would be great in a pocket passing offense but they're making him run the same read option stuff that Vick does, but the defense isn't afraid of Foles' running ability. Kelly said he'd tailor the offense to the talent but he isn't doing that during preseason and it isn't doing Foles any favors. He could run a fast no huddle similar to what NE does with Brady and Foles would look great, and it'd still be able to do the running damage. Instead it seems like Foles isn't really being given a real chance - its like fitting a square peg into a round hole. I like Foles' upside as a pocket passer but that's not the offense Philly has used him in this season.

If Vick gets injured and they go a bit more traditional with Foles in this season, he could post some real big numbers.

Vick will likely post decent numbers thanks to his running totals though early in the season... so it'll have to happen after a Vick injury, or the Eagles starting off poorly, which is likely because their early schedule is absolutely brutal.
Or like he did in college.

(Rotoworld)For the first time in Eagles camp, Michael Vick handled the vast majority of first-team quarterback reps Saturday, while Nick Foles worked with the twos.Analysis: Foles did get some first-team reps "on one of the last sessions of the day," but it's clear Vick is now in the driver's seat. ESPN's Adam Caplan described Saturday's distribution of practice reps as "the first time we've seen the clear delineation between Vick and Foles with first and second team." Vick is being set up to start Philly's third preseason game, which almost always leads to a Week 1 start. Vick continues to look like a fantastic, high-ceiling QB2 fantasy pick

Listen to beat writers / reporters at your own peril.

I'll continue to evaluate, successfully, year after year, by watching players with my own eyes.

My view: Vick is the better QB and will start, unless Vick, or Foles in preseason shows me otherwise.
:tebow:

I would expect him to put up big numbers in the new eagles offense. vick may not get his job back
Unless Foles puts up 300 yds and 2-3 tds with no turnovers in the next 2 games, I think Vick will stay the starter. Kelly's in his first year and neither of these guys are the future. Having lockerroom loyalty is far more important in year 1.

I would expect him to put up big numbers in the new eagles offense. vick may not get his job back
Unless Foles puts up 300 yds and 2-3 tds with no turnovers in the next 2 games, I think Vick will stay the starter. Kelly's in his first year and neither of these guys are the future. Having lockerroom loyalty is far more important in year 1.
He did it last season vs the Bucs.

He did it last season vs the Bucs.
IF Foles plays his way into the starter's role, then there's no problem. He'll have earned it. But if he's just managing the game and getting 200-250 yards with a td, I think Kelly goes back to Vick.

Users who are viewing this thread