Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
doowain

*** TJ Yeldon (2015 Draft Eligible) Bandwagon ***

Was offering this guy (as I have Ivory) and a 2018 1st round draft pick for the guy I took with the #11 draft pick a few months ago (Jordan Howard).  I said no.  Man this guy's stock has fallen.

20 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Was offering this guy (as I have Ivory) and a 2018 1st round draft pick for the guy I took with the #11 draft pick a few months ago (Jordan Howard).  I said no.  Man this guy's stock has fallen.

You turned down a 2017 1st for Howard? And Yeldon on top of that?  If so, think you'll be kicking yourself as Howard's lack of elite anything is a bad fit on a team that's as big of as mess as Chicago is.

8 hours ago, Shutout said:

I agree with you but get the feeling that the jags will seek out players to replace yeldon and he will never be entrenched in as the guy.  I think he could be the guy but they obviously see something they aren't in love with. 

Jags are a mess. Still. 

They should have have used their money to get some O-line help instead of Ivory. Then Yeldon would be doing well, Bortles wouldn't be under constant duress and they'd likely be 2-1. It isn't sexy, but the game is won and lost in the trenches. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

3 weeks in everyone, obviously not much of an option unless Ivory isn't playing, and even then his Y-P-C is B-A-D (granted behind a terrible O-line). His only value comes in PPRs. And it's tough to be optimistic with another 4 years of Ivory. Even still, he's only 22.

Specifically in dynasty formats, how does everyone feel about him long term? I'm torn between opportunity/skill and age.

I was able to flip Yeldon before the season for Crowell and a 2017 1st. Feeling pretty good about that now.

• Like 1

I would love for a Jags homer (if any exist) to give us their opinion on the Jags offense and TJ in particular.  With those wideouts/Thomas and Bortles I dont understand why this offense isnt humming along.

12 hours ago, Shutout said:

I agree with you but get the feeling that the jags will seek out players to replace yeldon and he will never be entrenched in as the guy.  I think he could be the guy but they obviously see something they aren't in love with. 

Yeah, they might. I thought he looked pretty decent last year so spending outrageous money on Ivory was really shocking. It won't be surprising if Ivory misses more time this year. Yeldon will need to make the most of it if he wants to be an NFL starter. Unfortunately, a lot of that hinges on the offensive line.

I saw Ivory has knee and ankle sprains. Yeldon even ran better last week compared to Ivory (2.8ypc vs 1.2ypc), though neither were very good. If Ivory can't stay healthy, Yeldon has a chance to do something this year. The Jags don't really seem interested in giving him the ball that often though.

11 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

You turned down a 2017 1st for Howard? And Yeldon on top of that?  If so, think you'll be kicking yourself as Howard's lack of elite anything is a bad fit on a team that's as big of as mess as Chicago is.

No, I turned down a 2018 1st (and Yeldon) for Howard.  I wouldn't have turned it down if the pick was in 2017.  I just don't want to wait two years - plus the guy's team is pretty darn good (he's currently 3-0 even with a hobbled R Wilson and some other players hurt).  So I turned down something like around the #8 rookie pick in 2018 and Yeldon for Howard. 

56 minutes ago, Faust said:

That speaks well for a decent flex play in redraft - at least as long as Ivory is healthy. It's pretty clear that Yeldon is a better third down back than he is a bellcow. I kind of expect him to be a guy who averages 4 receptions, 75 combined yards, and 0.5 TDs per game for the next 6-8 years. That's not a terrible piece to have for a dynasty team.

Edited by xrayveggin

1 hour ago, xrayveggin said:

That speaks well for a decent flex play in redraft - at least as long as Ivory is healthy. It's pretty clear that Yeldon is a better third down back than he is a bellcow. I kind of expect him to be a guy who averages 4 receptions, 75 combined yards, and 0.5 TDs per game for the next 6-8 years. That's not a terrible piece to have for a dynasty team.

I see this line of thinking quite about in regards to Yeldon.  What is the logic behind it?  He certainly catches the ball well enough but he also ran pretty well last season, decent volume 182 rush & 36 receptions, on a very bad team with an offensive line that was probably worse than the current one.  He also has good size at around 6'1", 220lbs.

So why don't people think he can be a feature back?

After reading this news and his matchup against the Bears this week I'm actually pretty excited to roll him out this week.

Three double-digit games in PPR out of four. At least 4 receptions in 3 of 4 games. Eyeball test shows him vastly outperforming Ivory on the field and now coaches are really talking him up as well. I wouldn't say he's a lock to maintain anything but right now I would view him as a strong RB3 with RB2 upside. As long as they keep working him heavily in the passing game he's going to remain a very viable weekly flex option at worst in PPR leagues with the potential for more depending on the matchup. 

42 minutes ago, Chaka said:

I think he has the size and skill set to be a feature back myself.

I would imagine those who say he's not could point to fact he was mainly a timeshare back at Bama and fact Jags felt need to sign another RB to decent pay to split the load with him.

On 10/15/2016 at 9:51 AM, Chaka said:

I see this line of thinking quite about in regards to Yeldon.  What is the logic behind it?  He certainly catches the ball well enough but he also ran pretty well last season, decent volume 182 rush & 36 receptions, on a very bad team with an offensive line that was probably worse than the current one.  He also has good size at around 6'1", 220lbs.

He's an average NFL athlete at RB. http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4853/ demonstrates he's average or below average in measures of speed and quickness (he's got a decent vert, but a poor broad jump, with the broad jump more indicative of core power/explosion). https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings2015/rb/ calls him a flat average athlete (zscore 0.1) on a reverse-engineered nike SPARQ score, and that is adjusted for height/weight - for his size, he's average NFL athleticism for his position. When he runs, he's not particularly powerful. He's not very good at making the first defender miss, and when he does, he loses his momentum and is an easy target for the second defender. He doesn't excel at any one part of the game that makes him a unique asset. To coin a phrase from John Schneider, Yeldon doesn't "tilt the field". 

Sure would like to know how Yeldon went from dominating the touches in their last game and having the coaches raving about him all last week to being buried on the bench after his first touch in this past game. He started the game, got a carry and then for all intents and purposes got benched. Something really insane must've happened during that first carry to piss Bradley off for him to lose all the good will he had generated with the coaching staff because he lost his entire role for pretty much the rest of the game. And it's not like the offense was cruising or Ivory was looking great either. It was all really odd. They just refused to use him again.  

Edited by packersfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, packersfan said:

Sure would like to know how Yeldon went from dominating the touches in their last game and having the coaches raving about him all last week to being buried on the bench after his first touch in this past game. He started the game, got a carry and then for all intents and purposes got benched. Something really insane must've happened during that first carry to piss Bradley off for him to lose all the good will he had generated with the coaching staff because he lost his entire role for pretty much the rest of the game. And it's not like the offense was cruising or Ivory was looking great either. It was all really odd. They just refused to use him again.  

There's your answer. This guy is terrible and will not being coaching the Jags much longer.

1 minute ago, flysack said:

There's your answer. This guy is terrible and will not being coaching the Jags much longer.

Yeah I always go to the poor coaching option first because that's often the correct answer but even taking that into account it was still such an odd thing to see. Yeldon had looked really good in their last game and clearly so much better than Ivory and to be completely and totally removed from the game plan after a single carry was truly baffling. I'm shocked not a single Jaguars reporter thought that remotely curious and followed up on that after the game. I haven't seen a single story or note about it. Given all the stories last week about how good Yeldon was looking and how he had assumed the starting job and was clearly distancing himself ahead of Ivory you'd think someone might have asked Bradley about it after the game or in a press conference since. Guess not. Really weird. 

What are we doing with Yeldon?  He's just eating a roster spot.  Can't start him.  I can't figure this out.  Is it the coach?   Watching the game tonight he rotates with Ivory every other series even though he performed better.  Nobody can get into a rythym.  And he isn't used at the goal line.  Do we drop?

1 hour ago, steelwind said:

What are we doing with Yeldon?  He's just eating a roster spot.  Can't start him.  I can't figure this out.  Is it the coach?   Watching the game tonight he rotates with Ivory every other series even though he performed better.  Nobody can get into a rythym.  And he isn't used at the goal line.  Do we drop?

Consider only the team situation. He's on a team that is bottom 5 in overall offensive efficiency, bottom 5 pass efficiency, and bottom 5 run efficiency. Then consider that he is sharing snaps with another RB at a 60-40 split. To top it off, Yeldon is 32nd in the league in success rate.

I couldn't give Yeldon away to the Chris Ivory owner for $1 of a $200 free agent auction budget. I have so little faith in him being able to produce in that situation and with his below average physical talent that I dropped him this week a roster space - and my RB room is RMathews, CThompson, DLewis, and KDixon.

12 hours ago, xrayveggin said:

Consider only the team situation. He's on a team that is bottom 5 in overall offensive efficiency, bottom 5 pass efficiency, and bottom 5 run efficiency. Then consider that he is sharing snaps with another RB at a 60-40 split. To top it off, Yeldon is 32nd in the league in success rate.

I couldn't give Yeldon away to the Chris Ivory owner for $1 of a $200 free agent auction budget. I have so little faith in him being able to produce in that situation and with his below average physical talent that I dropped him this week a roster space - and my RB room is RMathews, CThompson, DLewis, and KDixon.

Thanks for putting those numbers together.  Those are putrid.  I looked at Yeldon's stats from last year.  He had some weeks that were top 5.  I'm still in limbo with him.

No better starting volumes RB's on the wire.  But next week once waivers open, I'm dumping him in the hopes he poisons somebody else's roster. 

So glad I traded him before the season for a 2017 1st and Isaiah Crowell. His dynasty value is steadily dropping. Also got lucky and moved him a couple weeks ago in redraft for Doug Martin.

10 hours ago, steelwind said:

Thanks for putting those numbers together.  Those are putrid.  I looked at Yeldon's stats from last year.  He had some weeks that were top 5.  I'm still in limbo with him.

To be honest I'd be less cavalier about it in dynasty, and I'd consider him to be of value, reduced value, but still value. But in redraft - I kept asking myself what is going to change in the next 8 weeks that is going to make him a must start player? Put him on a different team, let him rebuild his body to be more explosive in the offseason, draft and sign a decent side of an OL... none of it is happening this year.

I like Yeldon he's a buy low candidate. Ivory's deal is basically a two year deal from what I understand plus he has the tendency to get dinged up. I'm going to try a get him on the cheap.

Tex

7 hours ago, BigTex said:

I like Yeldon he's a buy low candidate. Ivory's deal is basically a two year deal from what I understand plus he has the tendency to get dinged up. I'm going to try a get him on the cheap.

Tex

What do you consider cheap? I'm a dynasty owner and I'd have a hard time passing up on an early-ish 2nd. What did you have in mind for value?

4 minutes ago, FreshiZ said:

What do you consider cheap? I'm a dynasty owner and I'd have a hard time passing up on an early-ish 2nd. What did you have in mind for value?

Actually I was thinking late 2nd. I maybe in the minority but I believe that Ivory there has hidden his true value and now is the time to grab him. I believe his true is a mid 1st to late 1st.

Tex

28 minutes ago, steelwind said:

Thoughts on him now with the coaching change?

I don't think it matters much. The OC in this case was just a Scapegoat! That rabbit hole goes deep they need to clean house. As I said earlier Ivory's deal is essentially a 2year deal, after next year then Yeldon will have the chance to be the bellcow but that's without the current coaching staff.

Tex

17 hours ago, BigTex said:

I don't think it matters much. The OC in this case was just a Scapegoat! That rabbit hole goes deep they need to clean house. As I said earlier Ivory's deal is essentially a 2year deal, after next year then Yeldon will have the chance to be the bellcow but that's without the current coaching staff.

Tex

I agree that the change probably won't change much this season but Olson has always been a terrible OC. Firing him is merely correcting the mistake of hiring him in the first place.

Re-ranking the 2015 RB class: The Todd Gurley conundrum

Excerpt:

10) T.J. Yeldon, Jacksonville Jaguars

Originally drafted: Round 2, No. 36 overall. 

Sometimes "playing it safe" can be the riskiest move a general manager can make. Jags GM David Caldwell drafted Yeldon with the notion that the Alabama product was proficient at everything, even if he wasn't great in any one area. Yeldon was supposed to be the type of back you could turn a running game over to without a lot of drama. That proved true, but in the worst way possible.

Yeldon is not a player I recommend watching late at night. He gets what's blocked and not much more. His lauded receiving skills are fine, but not special enough to make him a logical third-down role player. A victim of his draft slot, no one would complain about Yeldon if he had been drafted in the fourth round. Taking him No. 36 overall, ahead of six of the players ranked above, has proven to be a fiasco for Caldwell, one he's been trying to cover up ever since.

5 minutes ago, Faust said:

A victim of his draft slot, no one would complain about Yeldon if he had been drafted in the fourth round. Taking him No. 36 overall, ahead of six of the players ranked above, has proven to be a fiasco for Caldwell, one he's been trying to cover up ever since.

Do we think that many of those "6 players ranked above" would have done much running behind the Jacksonville line the last two years?

• Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 2:10 PM, FreeBaGeL said:

Do we think that many of those "6 players ranked above" would have done much running behind the Jacksonville line the last two years?

Excellent point. The o-line Yeldon was running behind last year was not of high quality.

He looked decent out there. I’ve been holding and buying because I think he gets a second chance somehwere in FA. This was a very encouraging showing from him today. 

Had high hopes for Ivory today--thought I got me a steal at flex. Back of my mind I knew Yeldon would be there but never imagined this disaster.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Jacksonville Jaguars RB T.J. Yeldon is likely being shopped around, according to John Reid of The Florida Times-Union, and Reid believes that if RB Leonard Fournette stays healthy, Yeldon could spend the remainder of the season on the inactive list unless he can pass RB Chris Ivory on the depth chart.

Fournette is out. Yeldon is likely the play here over Ivory. Last minute hope for those in need.  Get him in your lineup!!

1 minute ago, Hilts said:

Fournette is out. Yeldon is likely the play here over Ivory. Last minute hope for those in need.  Get him in your lineup!!

Ivory did get more carries against IND, almost double. Any concern that Ivory really is the back and Yeldon just got some lucky runs against a poor DF?

Just now, Dr. Dan said:

what do you expect from him? considering starting him over Brate at flex

14 carries

Just now, Maelstrom said:

Ivory did get more carries against IND, almost double. Any concern that Ivory really is the back and Yeldon just got some lucky runs against a poor DF?

yeah, ivory is probably starting and getting 17-22 carries

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fariq said:

so Jacksonville is going to rush the ball 31-36 times??? have they done that once this entire season?

Edited by Dr. Dan

1 minute ago, Fariq said:

And yeldon got alot of run in a blowout.

I think they are both decent plays.

Just now, Dr. Dan said:

so Jacksonville is going to rush the ball at least 31 times??? have they done that once this entire season?

oh, I'm sorry. I meant 1.4

3 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Yes, very much so. Would prefer to go Ivory over Yeldon. But Yeldon should still be a fine gamble with all the byes.

Considering one of them to flex over Drake/Sanu/Lee...(and to quick block the Fournette owner who I am facing this week)

Just hate dropping any of those guys or even Morris (thinking Zeke still misses games)

I just wish we'd get thought out, intelligent expectations from peoppe who aren't biased... anyone who owns ivory is going to be pumping ivory in hopes he does well... not sure I want to bark up this tree... AA and Brate might be the better play

• Like 1