What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** TJ Yeldon (2015 Draft Eligible) Bandwagon *** (1 Viewer)

I'll come right out and say it - Yeldon is the most impressive RB prospect I've seen since AP.
I think you have Yeldon confused with Gurley. Peterson was a man among boys. I don't see that with Yeldon as I do with Gurley.
I don't want to take anything away from Gurley - he's a beast and runs with a ton of power like AP. He's got Pro Bowl written all over him too. Yeldon isn't as powerful but he's better at making people miss. It's a matter of taste and I get why people prefer Gurley, but Yeldon is the total package in my eyes.
Agreed. Yeldon is shiftier. I think that brings a bit more to the table as far as their NFL prospects.
Is it really that HE is shiftier (like in space and open field) or is it appearing that way because that mammoth O-line opens up more space than the Georgia line does (or possibly that we see Yeldon in the passing game more)?

I'm not trying to pick a nit. I really don't know. When I watch Yeldon and Gurley and Marshall and some of these other freshmen RBs, It is hard for me to make a comparison because it seems like the Alabama O-line just made things easier.
He's shiftier in the open field and through the hole. While I agree that the Alabama o-line opens up some big holes, that really has nothing to do with the o-line.

Was Richardson knocked for the dominance of the guys up front?

I'll come right out and say it - Yeldon is the most impressive RB prospect I've seen since AP.
I think you have Yeldon confused with Gurley. Peterson was a man among boys. I don't see that with Yeldon as I do with Gurley.
I don't want to take anything away from Gurley - he's a beast and runs with a ton of power like AP. He's got Pro Bowl written all over him too. Yeldon isn't as powerful but he's better at making people miss. It's a matter of taste and I get why people prefer Gurley, but Yeldon is the total package in my eyes.
Agreed. Yeldon is shiftier. I think that brings a bit more to the table as far as their NFL prospects.
Is it really that HE is shiftier (like in space and open field) or is it appearing that way because that mammoth O-line opens up more space than the Georgia line does (or possibly that we see Yeldon in the passing game more)?

I'm not trying to pick a nit. I really don't know. When I watch Yeldon and Gurley and Marshall and some of these other freshmen RBs, It is hard for me to make a comparison because it seems like the Alabama O-line just made things easier.
He's shiftier in the open field and through the hole. While I agree that the Alabama o-line opens up some big holes, that really has nothing to do with the o-line.

Was Richardson knocked for the dominance of the guys up front?
I don't know. THat's why I asked. But I think in general TRICH always just kind of passed the eyeball test immediately. People just kind of knew he was completely legit. THere seems to be more uncertainty surrounding Yeldon.

I don't know. THat's why I asked. But I think in general TRICH always just kind of passed the eyeball test immediately. People just kind of knew he was completely legit. THere seems to be more uncertainty surrounding Yeldon.
Yeah, I get that. I'll have to see if I can dig up any video of Richardson's carries as a freshman. I think that's what is kind of lost on some when they look at Yeldon. He was just a freshman. He still have plenty of time left to improve in the areas of concern (pad level for one). Considering how well he played on such a big stage week in and week out, I am just absolutely sky high on this kid.

And from everything I've read about him, he has a really good head on his shoulders. Shows up, performs well, and doesn't get caught up in the limelight. Absolutely zero knucklehead factor.

ETA:

Found

from Richardson's freshman year. Quite a few runs I see pad level issues as well. Yeldon isn't as "squatty" as Richardson, so it's much more of an issue for him. But, I'm confident the coaches will bring him along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I get that. I'll have to see if I can dig up any video of Richardson's carries as a freshman. I think that's what is kind of lost on some when they look at Yeldon. He was just a freshman. He still have plenty of time left to improve in the areas of concern (pad level for one). Considering how well he played on such a big stage week in and week out, I am just absolutely sky high on this kid.

And from everything I've read about him, he has a really good head on his shoulders. Shows up, performs well, and doesn't get caught up in the limelight. Absolutely zero knucklehead factor.

ETA:

Found

That's good stuff and good point about him being a fresheman. We know it but we kinda dismiss those things sometimes; that he's so young.

So you're higher on him than the other freshmen RB? Purely self-serving quesiton as I am trying to understand the thought process of devy-leagues more. It just fascinates me that people draft these guys so young in these types of leagues; how people see the the diamond before its finished.

ETA:

Found

I am definitely higher on him than other freshman RBs (or any other RB in college for that matter). I know guys love Gurley. I drafted Yeldon in a devy league last year (I think at 1.13 in a 14 team league), so I've watched him closely to this point. I try to be subjective when evaluating him as much as possible.

As for seeing a diamond in the rough, I saw the spring game where he tore it up. The coaches all talked him up. He was a 5 star recruit. His measurables were elite for a college junior, let alone an 18 yo high school senior (6'1 205-210 4.43). I also didn't see Lacy as this insurmountable obstacle to playing time. I didn't foresee such a favorable split, but didn't see it as out of the question. Add all of that to the fact that Alabama has had a good string of getting their top RBs into the 1st round of the NFL draft. Even Glen Coffee was a 3rd round pick to a team that already had Frank Gore. Taking all of that into account, he was as can't miss to me as devy players get. I knew if I hit on him, I'd have gold, as he'd be a Top 3 pick in the devy draft this year.

ETA:

Found

Yeldon is my #2 devy back behind Gurley #1, they have a large gap in NFL potential IMO. As far as beyond them: I'm not a fan of Seastrunk, J. Hill(soft/plodder/kicked off team), Duke Johnson(think he's too small), K. Carey(not very explosive, but tough runner), etc.

ETA:

Found

Thanks guy for both of your responses. I appreciate the insight and the thoughts on where you are watching them (Spring games...whooo).

I am just glad I have heard of all these names you have tossed out. The other two I hear a lot are Storm Woods and Johnathan Gray. Are all these guys mentioned pretty much comparable (with Yeldon and Gurley being the bee's knees, it sounds)?

Yeldon is my #2 devy back behind Gurley #1, they have a large gap in NFL potential IMO. As far as beyond them: I'm not a fan of Seastrunk, J. Hill(soft/plodder/kicked off team), Duke Johnson(think he's too small), K. Carey(not very explosive, but tough runner), etc.
I agree that Johnson is on the smaller side for NFL RBs, but I don't agree that he is too small. He is currently listed at 5'9", 194. I think he can easily put on an extra 5-10 lbs between now and his time in the NFL.

ETA:

Found

Thing you'll notice that separates Gurley from Yeldon is the ability to stay up after first contact. They both have excellent vision, I just need to see Yeldon add some physicality to his game for me to think hes and every down / pro bowl back. Gurley's got a stiff arm this is serious and knows how to use his weight to break simple arms tackles.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah calls Alabama sophomore RB T.J. Yeldon a "big upgrade" over Eddie Lacy.
"He's loose, explosive and has natural vision/instincts," Jeremiah tweeted. The Crimson Tide's one-two punch demolished many defenses last year and we expect much of the same in 2013 from Yeldon despite losing plenty of offensive line talent. Alabama could open up the passing game a bit more to A.J. McCarron, but Yeldon also showed plenty of success as a receiver in screen situations.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah expects Alabama sophomore RB T.J. Yeldon to put up monster numbers in 2013.
Jeremiah described Yeldon's freshman season as outstanding, and the young runner should carry the load with Eddie Lacy departing for the NFL. "Yeldon is a smooth runner that can power the ball inside the tackles," Jeremiah said. He "also has the speed to get to the outside and hit the home run. What I'm most impressed with this young back is his ability to protect the quarterback. He has got a firm, firm punch. He protects the quarterback as well as any runner in college football."

Source: NFL.com

In UA's spring game he made C.J. Mosely (likely 1st Rd LB) look foolish a couple of times. As good as he looks though, Saban always seems to take the committee approach. They are reportedly very high on true freshman Derrick Hennry (6'-3" 245) who ran a 4.45 at the Nike camp in Oregon last summer

In UA's spring game he made C.J. Mosely (likely 1st Rd LB) look foolish a couple of times. As good as he looks though, Saban always seems to take the committee approach. They are reportedly very high on true freshman Derrick Hennry (6'-3" 245) who ran a 4.45 at the Nike camp in Oregon last summer
This kid was literally a man amongst boys in high school. He never rushed for less than 100 yards and a game and broke the previously thought unbreakable career rushing record.

This kid was literally a man amongst boys in high school. He never rushed for less than 100 yards and a game and broke the previously thought unbreakable career rushing record.
Yeah, he's a animal. Reports from spring practices of him laying out guys on our 1st string D had me pumped. It was a major buzzkill when he missed the spring game. I fully expect a thread like this for him next year

so I am facing a hard decision to make between Yeldon and Gurley in my Devy draft, any suggestions who would you take ?

so I am facing a hard decision to make between Yeldon and Gurley in my Devy draft, any suggestions who would you take ?
I've got the #5 and #6 devy picks in a devy draft after a new start-up, so if I'm lucky enough I'll be in this same situation, with a similar question. I'll be happy to just have a shot at one. I'm hoping the fact that there's couple highly touted WR's and it's a TE premium league, that on of these guys will fall to me. Because I gotta assume that with the hype, Lee, Watkins, and ASJ will all go in the top 4. Maybe.

For me, it's clearly Yeldon right now but you have to wait an extra year with him.

I should wait an extra year with Gurley also, I don't know ....I hope someone will pick Yeldon/Gurley just before I am drafting (with 1.04), I know M. Lee and T. Bridgewater are #1 and #2 , so I have a very realistic shot at Yeldon or Gurley

Gurley is the better prospect and IMO it's pretty clear. He is bigger, faster, runs with better pad level and equally explosive. I think Yeldon has better top end speed but just about everything else favors Gurley by a small bit. Both guys are going to be studly but I'd take Gurley.

Looks like Yeldon is slipping in devys and value. Perhaps we should look at what he's accomplished and stack that up against other really successful SEC RBs.

1st two years in the sec:
Yeldon
fresh 1108 yards 6.3 12 td, 11 recsoph 1235 yards 6.0 14 td, 20 rec
mcfaddenfresh 1113 yards 6.3 11 td, 14 recsoph 1647 yards 5.8 14 td, 11 rec
Mark ingramredshirt yearfresh 728 5.1 12 td, 7 rec
soph 1658 6.1 17 td, 32 rec

Moreno
redshirt year
1336 yards 5.4 14 td, 20 rec
1400 yards 5.6 16 td, 33 rec
Lattimore
fresh 1197 yards 4.8 17 td, 29 rec
soph 818 yards 5.0 10 td, 19 rec
Zac stacy
fresh 478 yards 4.5 3 td, 7 rec
soph 331 yards 5.0 3 td, 9 rec
Caddy Williams
fresh 614 yards 5.1 6 td, 13 rec
soph 745 yards 5.3 10 td, 6 rec
Garrison Hearst
fresh 717 yards 4.4 5 td, 7 rec
soph 968 yards 6.3 9 td, 16 rec

Trent Richardson
fresh 751 yards 5.2 8 td, 16 rec
soph 700 yards 6.3 6 td, 23 rec

I'm not saying stats are everything, but he's performed great as an 18-20 year old kid.

why is Yeldon ranked so low in devy rankings? Ive seen a few 2015 mock drafts that have him going in the 1st or 2nd round next year. Wont he have a lot of value in 2015 rookie drafts if hes drafted in the top 2 rounds of NFL draft?

Hey guys, remember when TJ Yeldon was suppose to be the next Adrian Peterson?
You were right, Gurley is the man. I thought Yeldon would be able to improve on his freshman year but he has cutting and balance issues.

Ware is a really good back. He is a better pro prospect than Ford. I'm not sure if he is better than Hill, but he seems to have better footwork and cutting ability. I think he will be a better NFL player than college player like Stevan Ridley and Joseph Addai before him. LSU doesn't have the best history of getting the most out of its top talents, as a lot of their best players were underused while they were in Baton Rouge. History repeating itself with Ware. His footwork, loose hips, and leg drive are a perfect fit for the pro game though.
I like Ware a good deal. He simply isn't better than Hill though. Hill is taking over the lead role at RB for LSU for good reason.
Forgot how much I liked Hill....

JohnnyU said:
Xue said:
He's not even the best RB on his team.
What is it that you(or anyone) doesn't like about Yeldon? I haven't heard a lot on this.

JohnnyU said:
Xue said:
What is it that you(or anyone) doesn't like about Yeldon? I haven't heard a lot on this.
He runs too upright. Looks like Chris Brown (former Titan) when he runs. I think he's good, but I don't see greatness at all.

JohnnyU said:
Xue said:
Yeldon looks better in the boxscore than he does on tape. (Sounds like what the Sankey haters like to say). I question is timed speed and fluidity. I see a lot of wasted steps and tight hips. I mean Eddie Lacy was able to put up a better career YPC than Yeldon has and Alabama's line has gotten better each year. Lacy also is a 4.6x type of guy.

One thing that stood out the most about Yeldon I didn't like is that he doesn't try very hard to get to inaccurate passes thrown his way. You'd expect a 218lb RB to be a little more physical.

JohnnyU said:
Xue said:
He runs too upright. Looks like Chris Brown (former Titan) when he runs. I think he's good, but I don't see greatness at all.
He's tall(listed 6'2, but I think he's 6'1 and change) and does run upright. However, he does lower his shoulder when he needs to get leverage(GL, Short yardage, around lots of defenders).

I think Yeldon is good at everything, but not great at anything. I see a RB2 type for FF.

JohnnyU said:
Xue said:
Yeldon looks better in the boxscore than he does on tape. (Sounds like what the Sankey haters like to say). I question is timed speed and fluidity. I see a lot of wasted steps and tight hips. I mean Eddie Lacy was able to put up a better career YPC than Yeldon has and Alabama's line has gotten better each year. Lacy also is a 4.6x type of guy.

One thing that stood out the most about Yeldon I didn't like is that he doesn't try very hard to get to inaccurate passes thrown his way. You'd expect a 218lb RB to be a little more physical.
I agree that Yeldon jump cuts too much which hurts momentum moving foward.

I disagree however, I think Alabama's 2013 OL<<<2012 OL. Career wise, you may be correct but 2013 wasn't an amazing OL like they both had in 2012(Lacy's only year starting). 2014 we'll see how it comes together.

I think Yeldon is physical with defenders with the ball, you want him to box them out to get passes? I'm not following you here.

Overall, I don't view Yeldon as a dynamic game changing RB prospect. But in a way he's like Matt Forte/Bishop Sankey where he's good at almost everything, but he's not flashy. So he gets thrown under the radar. He's swung too far the other way IMO. He's a good RB and deserves to be ahead of Fournette/Clement/Henry/Collins at least. I can see the RB devy rankings look like this: Gurley/Gordon.....M. Davis....Yeldon/Karlos Williams/Tyner....then Henry/Fournette/Clement/Collins/etc.

Why would a RB that's proven to be a 6 YPC guy/1,000 yard guy(twice) be behind guys that haven't done that?

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/devy-rb-rankings/

The tide has unfairly turned on Yeldon. He's not the special back he looked like as a freshman but he still has a lot of talent.

JohnnyU said:
Xue said:

I disagree however, I think Alabama's 2013 OL<<<2012 OL. Career wise, you may be correct but 2013 wasn't an amazing OL like they both had in 2012(Lacy's only year starting). 2014 we'll see how it comes together.

I think Yeldon is physical with defenders with the ball, you want him to box them out to get passes? I'm not following you here.

Overall, I don't view Yeldon as a dynamic game changing RB prospect. But in a way he's like Matt Forte/Bishop Sankey where he's good at almost everything, but he's not flashy. So he gets thrown under the radar. He's swung too far the other way IMO. He's a good RB and deserves to be ahead of Fournette/Clement/Henry/Collins at least. I can see the RB devy rankings look like this: Gurley/Gordon.....M. Davis....Yeldon/Karlos Williams/Tyner....then Henry/Fournette/Clement/Collins/etc.

Why would a RB that's proven to be a 6 YPC guy/1,000 yard guy(twice) be behind guys that haven't done that?

Devy rankings aren't necessarily based on what's proven. I see a lot based on projection and potential.

JohnnyU said:
Xue said:

Devy rankings aren't necessarily based on what's proven. I see a lot based on projection and potential.
Obviously people are hoping for greatness. I just don't understand how Yeldon can be downgraded so much that he's behind those types.

It's like preferring Mike Evans over Alshon Jeffery. Jeffery's done it, Evans hasn't and you only save a few years by going with the younger guy. They're hoping Evans = Calvin...but in reality he may not even be Jeffery.

I've seen you make this inaccurate point a couple times now. Please tell me how a team has 3 offensive lineman (2 in the Top 11) drafted in 2013, yet you think they got "better" in 2014?

Rotoworld:

T.J. Yeldon - RB - Crimson Tide

Alabama's running backs grade as Phil Steele's No. 1 unit.
Alabama has an embarrassment of riches at the position; their No. 6 and 7 RBs would start for many other programs. "T.J. Yeldon (PS No. 5) has a pair of 1,000-yard seasons on his resume and has averaged more than 6 yards per carry in both of his seasons running the ball for Alabama," Steele wrote. "Derrick Henry (PS No. 1) had 161 yards of total offense in the bowl and some feel he is more talented than Yeldon. Kenyan Drake (PS No. 31) added 694 yards last year and had a great spring, while Altee Tenpenny (PS No. 8), redshirt freshman Tyren Jones (PS No. 10) and true frosh Bo Scarbrough (PS No. 6) make for a pretty good bullpen." Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin said in May that Alabama's running backs unit would rank amongst the three best in the NFL.

Source: ESPN Insider

I've seen you make this inaccurate point a couple times now. Please tell me how a team has 3 offensive lineman (2 in the Top 11) drafted in 2013, yet you think they got "better" in 2014?
It's Alabama...they probably have three future All-Pro's who were freshman last year.

It's Alabama...they probably have three future All-Pro's who were freshman last year.
Exactly. And they also had/have OJ Howard. The guy is only 237 but blocks like he's 270 and he has 4.5 wheels. That's a huge advantage in having an extra blocker at the second level. He's outrunning his own RBs. They also got the #1 OT recruit of 2014. Yea, Bama continues to replenish that O-line. Besides, they don't need to be a top 3 round type of talent to be considered "good" at the college level.

I'll also add that Yeldon loses his balance in the open field when he tries to make very hard cuts. It probably has to do with the stiffness in his hips and his knockkneedness.

This just doesn't look very pretty to me:

https://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/yeldon-knee-buckle.gif

https://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/yeldon-knee-buckle-analysis.gif

I'll also add that Yeldon loses his balance in the open field when he tries to make very hard cuts. It probably has to do with the stiffness in his hips and his knockkneedness.

https://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/yeldon-knee-buckle-analysis.gif
Athletes and athletic trainers work hard to improve knee flexibility to prevent injury to athletes in contact sports. It's not out of the question that that could be a perfectly normal extension for Yeldon.

I find it shocking you have time to "analyze" peoples knees... I suggest maybe "analyzing" the human anatomy instead.

It's foolish to label RBs like Yeldon just becasue he plays behind such a good OL. It is also hard as hell to predict his future for the same reason. You really won't know until he suits up for an NFL team. You may think you know, but you don't.

Athletes and athletic trainers work hard to improve knee flexibility to prevent injury to athletes in contact sports. It's not out of the question that that could be a perfectly normal extension for Yeldon.

I find it shocking you have time to "analyze" peoples knees... I suggest maybe "analyzing" the human anatomy instead.
It's not the "extension" that's the concern. It's the bending inward. Being knockneed is never desirable in sports. It's why females tear their ACLs far more often than males. Contact isn't the issue. It's what the knee does when bearing weight. Sudden plants and cuts or stops.

Desirable knee flexibility is in the saggital plane, front to back. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/BodyPlanes.jpg

No doctor or trainer will ever advise you to be more flexibile in the coronal plane: side to side, especially bending inward.

Where are the stretches for the knee to have better side-to-side flexibility? http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8108850/knee-stretches-knee-flexibility-exercises-phys.htm

Perhaps you can go read up on some anatomy first instead of posting misinformation. It is irrefutably out of the question for an athlete's knee to move this way.

It's not the "extension" that's the concern. It's the bending inward. Being knockneed is never desirable in sports. It's why females tear their ACLs far more often than males. Contact isn't the issue. It's what the knee does when bearing weight. Sudden plants and cuts or stops.

Desirable knee flexibility is in the saggital plane, front to back. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/BodyPlanes.jpg

No doctor or trainer will ever advise you to be more flexibile in the coronal plane: side to side, especially bending inward.

Where are the stretches for the knee to have better side-to-side flexibility? http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8108850/knee-stretches-knee-flexibility-exercises-phys.htm

Perhaps you can go read up on some anatomy first instead of posting misinformation. It is irrefutably out of the question for an athlete's knee to move this way.
I have, I've gone through knee injuries myself. Knee flexion isn't just a simple hinged - forward and backward - movement like you're suggesting... there is rotation when the knee moves the bent position to full extension outward. Hip flexion has alot to play with this as well and could give the impression of a hyperextension especially when the knee isn't even visible. If we could see 360 degrees around him and see his actual knee you may have an arguement here. At this point I think you're just digging a bit too deeply to find reasons to not like the guy... it's nit picky and rather silly if you ask me.

I'm not going to debate the criticisms of Yeldon to date, other than the thought he played behind a better OL than Lacy.

Lacy ran behind one of the better lines in recent memory. Alabama took a significant step back last year at OL. And there are major ? with this year's OL.

You should drop that one.

Users who are viewing this thread