What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2013 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Bogart

Footballguy
Too strange of a season. Too many free agents. Too many trade possibilities. Going to be a busy offseason for JD and Nolan.

I'm not even going to attempt to predict the lineup going into next season.

Evan Grant tried to do it.

Jamey kind of tried to do it.

It's impossible to do right now. That said, these are just my random thoughts going into the season.

1. To Josh Or Not To Josh - The biggest question of the offseason for Texas will be if they resign Hamilton, and if so, how much. I don't see any "hometown discount" as Josh wants big money to give away to charity. While the buzz seems to be around Milwaukee and San Fran, I have a sneaky feeling Josh stays in Texas. I think the money on the free agent market won't be as big as he thinks, no one will want to invest in his strange issues, and Texas comes back with the best offer, as they feel like they know him best. Either way, I just hope it gets done quickly, so the team can either move on with or without him.

2. 145 Games - The OSB admits he ran his horses into the ground last season. Guys all over the diamond set personal highs for games played. Kinsler, Andrus, Beltre, Cruz and Young all played over 156 games last season. Murphy and Hamilton over 146. That is too much baseball, especially after two deep playoff runs the years prior. I would hope to see no one over 145 games played in 2013. Save something for the stretch run. You have a talented roster 1 through 25. Use them.

3. Time for Profar? - Not sure Profar has anything left to prove in the minor leagues. I would personally love to see an infield where he mans second base, Andrus at short, Beltre at third and Olt at first. That would push Kinsler, who I still think is underrated with his range, to play the outfield or move to the Mike Young role of Super Sub. Kinsler has said he would move, but would his bat work in the OF, and could he play Center?

4. Young into the Sunset - Young was not good at baseball in 2012. Not good at all. And still Wash hit him second or fifth in the lineup. That can not happen next year. Let him spell whoever is playing second base, let him play some first or third against KC or Cleveland, but he needs to be in less than 100 games next year. Take the money and run, and be back to retire his number in the future. Great player in his day, better person, but the time to move on is now. (Unless he has a Jeter like resurgence, then I will delete this whole part here.)

5. Is Harrison your number 2 or 3? - I think Zack Greinke is a Texas Ranger this season. And you go into battle with Darvish, Greinke, Harrison and Holland and you feel pretty good. Lewis comes back midseason to bolster the lineup. Feliz or Ogando as your fifth starter maybe?

Going to be a fun offseason. I can't wait for pitchers and catchers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to Beltre on another Gold Glove. The guy is a joy to watch every day on both sides of the field. A very complete player.

Even bigger congrats to David Murphy on even getting Gold Glove consideration at his position. Huge strides for that guy. Was he the centerpiece in the Gagne trade or was it Gabbard (pretty sure it wasn't Beltre)? Very one-sided trade win for JD at this point.

I'll take a stab at something here. I only hit 1 of 6 in my last winter wish list, which was to win the Darvish sweepstakes.

My winter wish list

[*]Zack Greinke

[*]A big bat or even a medium bat acquired by trade. I don't have a real good grasp of trade value, so I won't even try to put together mock trades. A few names I would be really interested to bring into Tex through trade. Josh Willingham, Hunter Pence (Arlington native), Shin-Soo Choo, Billy Butler, Corey Hart.

[*]Koji comes back. I can't believe I'm saying that, but he was lights out in the 2nd half.

Here are my (probably not going to happen) predictions

1. Greinke, Shields, Price. One of them will be with Texas in spring training

2. Elvis, Kinsler, Profar. One of then will be with another club in Spring training.

3. Napoli is offered the 1-year $13.3 qualifying offer and takes it. We will know tomorrow whether or not he is offered.

4. Holland or Harrison get traded

5. Upton will be a Ranger. Bj not Justin.

6. Michael Young will not be a Ranger. If he is he will not be an everyday player.

2013 lineup

1. Kinsler

2. Upton CF

3. Willingham DH

4. Beltre 3B

5. Cruz RF

6. Murphy LF

7. Napoli C

8. Moreland 1B

9. Profar SS

Rotation

1. Greinke/Shields/Price

2. Darvish

3. Holland

4. Ogando

5. Perez

I find the rumors of Texas going after Big Papi hard to imagine. Unless you are truly cutting ties with FACE and moving on completely without him.

'culdeus said:
Offered Josh the 125 average today basically saying goodbye.
Josh wanting 7 years/$175 million.Good luck with that.
He will be really lucky to get 5 years at any price. GMs are starting to wise up to what a player life cycle is without PEDs.
I bet he gets 5 years, maybe 6 years with some sort of team option. I hope he gets 7 somewhere.
It's possible that 2011-12 was a tipping point but I'll believe it when I see it. With the influx of television revenues and record attendance just about everywhere, there is too much money in the game now for owners to play it conservatively. The trend of teams locking up their own players before free agency increases scarcity. Even the additional playoff berths drive demand. There always are some free agent bargains among guys who get overlooked but the top players this year will get dollars and years at least on par with previous years.

He will be really lucky to get 5 years at any price. GMs are starting to wise up to what a player life cycle is without PEDs.
Which explains why Pujols and Fielder got 10 and 9 year deals last winter :shrug:
Fielder is 28. Pujols might be 35. Hamilton is an old 31.

Which explains why Pujols and Fielder got 10 and 9 year deals last winter :shrug:
Fielder is 28. Pujols might be 35. Hamilton is an old 31.
In the past two off-seasons:Reyes and Beltre got 6 year dealsCrawford, Gonzalez and Werth got 7 Fielder and Pujols got 9 and 10Pitcher deals have been getting longer as well.There's zero trend toward shorter contracts for the top free agent bats. Just because Hamilton frustrated a few Rangers fans doesn't mean that MLB GMs agree. And it only takes two (or one) of them to drive up Hamilton's contract.

saw a report yesterday that TX was looking at free agent 1B Adam Laroche. I like Laroche, but think he would be a mistake at his likely signing price.

Justin Upton for Andrus makes sense to me, but Elvis maybe not enough. How valuable is Olt?
Texas does not do Upton for Andrus. And they sure don't throw in Olt. Daniels has already said that Andrus and/or Profar in a trade would have to be something "very unique".

Justin Upton for Andrus makes sense to me, but Elvis maybe not enough. How valuable is Olt?
Texas does not do Upton for Andrus. And they sure don't throw in Olt. Daniels has already said that Andrus and/or Profar in a trade would have to be something "very unique".
Uh, what? Does Daniels have head trauma? Having those 2 guys at SS is a luxury. Texas took a step back this year and will surely lose Hamilton. It's a great fit on paper.

Uh, what? Does Daniels have head trauma? Having those 2 guys at SS is a luxury. Texas took a step back this year and will surely lose Hamilton. It's a great fit on paper.
If you think they're trading Andrus and Olt for Upton, you don't know the Rangers.

If you think they're trading Andrus and Olt for Upton, you don't know the Rangers.
I don't, that's why I was inquiring in the Texas Rangers thread.

I don't, that's why I was inquiring in the Texas Rangers thread.
Andrus plays a premium defensive position to Upton. He has become a strong clubhouse leader and offensively does many things that the Rangers are looking for that Upton does not (less strikeouts, sacrifice hits) and is a year younger than Upton. Upton is a great player, I just don't think the trade works for Texas. Just because they have two great SS does not mean they have to move one for something else. Profar is only 19. Daniels is always thinking long term. Just because Daniels prefers to keep Andrus over Upton does not mean that anything hit him upside the head.

The Rangers are losing two big power bats. The Ballpark has a tendency to make some players like Moreland and Cruz appear better than they are. They are still going to be a decent offensive team but they're clearly not as strong as Anaheim. If they want to keep pace, they need to find some production somewhere.

The Rangers are losing two big power bats. The Ballpark has a tendency to make some players like Moreland and Cruz appear better than they are. They are still going to be a decent offensive team but they're clearly not as strong as Anaheim. If they want to keep pace, they need to find some production somewhere.
:goodposting:Couldn't agree more.

Scott Feldman to the Cubbies on a one-year deal.

I was really liking his role as the jack-of-all-trades starter/mop-up/bullpen guy. Bummer to see him go.

Things aren't exactly going swimmingly on the FA front so far.

This could be a year where we stand around and hold our ##### in our hand(s) and wait for MY to leave ungracefully among other necessary changes.

Things aren't exactly going swimmingly on the FA front so far. This could be a year where we stand around and hold our ##### in our hand(s) and wait for MY to leave ungracefully among other necessary changes.
I'm not sure there is THAT much to be done.Our real "needs" are a corner OF and a catcher. We could use a starter, but who couldn't. I think we could get involved in Swisher, or someone of similar value. I have no clue what we're doing at catcher. Maybe Russell Martin?I could see us going after LaRoche if we find a solution to the MY issue. But as long as he's taking up 500+AB's, we don't have anywhere for an infielder to play.

Well, at least Soto and Darvish seem to have a connection that helps Yu. Other than that, I can't think of much more good to say.

Well, at least Soto and Darvish seem to have a connection that helps Yu. Other than that, I can't think of much more good to say.
I imagine his hitting has to be better than it was in 2012. He's not a great hitter, but he's better than that.Edit: Now that I look it up, his .773 career OPS isn't bad at all. Matching that would have put him in the top five among AL catchers last season.

Catchers are in a big down cycle. The lack of roids is hitting them sooner in their age range due to the nature of the position.

Napoli to Boston, so will need a 1b catcher to go with Soto. Nothing ready yet internally, so will be interesting to see what JD does.

Soria behind Nathan sounds pretty good to me. Trust this team with Tommy John guys given their track record.

It has to be said every year about this time. If you are a Ranger fan or even just a baseball fan, get yourself over to newbergreport.com and sign up for Jamey's email list. You won't regret it.

Talks are that a four year deal with Hamilton is making progress. Now to see if anyone else bears it.

Ugh. Really don't want Josh back. Seems like nobody else did last year either, but now we're realizing we can't get Greinke so we have to do something.

Ugh. Really don't want Josh back. Seems like nobody else did last year either, but now we're realizing we can't get Greinke so we have to do something.
I am softening on the idea of Josh coming back, if it's not for a franchise crippling contract. 4/100 with a club option for a 5th year could work out well.

I am softening on the idea of Josh coming back, if it's not for a franchise crippling contract. 4/100 with a club option for a 5th year could work out well.
Yeah I could live with that contract, I just feel like we're going to get way more bad Josh going forward. He could barely motivate himself to play on 1 year deals, there's no telling how many times his eyes might malfunction when he's getting actually paid.It's so stupid because the chances of him being better than Josh are pretty low at this point, but I would so much rather trade some big prospects for Upton.

Users who are viewing this thread