What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dwayne Allen (IND) (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Dwayne Allen shed 13 pounds this offseason.

Allen has slimmed down to 255 pounds after playing last season at 268. The 25-year-old is hoping the weight loss will help him play faster. Allen reeled in eight touchdown catches last year but only amassed 60 yards once in 13 contests. He's a touchdown or bust fantasy contributor sitting on the low-end of the TE1 spectrum.

Source: Greg Doyel on Twitter
Jul 15 - 11:11 AM
He was 255 at the combine and was huge then. 268 is him playing overweight.

Rotoworld:

Dwayne Allen shed 13 pounds this offseason.

Allen has slimmed down to 255 pounds after playing last season at 268. The 25-year-old is hoping the weight loss will help him play faster. Allen reeled in eight touchdown catches last year but only amassed 60 yards once in 13 contests. He's a touchdown or bust fantasy contributor sitting on the low-end of the TE1 spectrum.

Source: Greg Doyel on Twitter

Jul 15 - 11:11 AM
He was 255 at the combine and was huge then. 268 is him playing overweight.
His combine weight was not his playing weight. It pretty much isn't for any player.

Anyone like Allen this year as a sleeper TE? He is one of my favorites. 

Fleener is getting a ton of attention going to the Saints, but this also opens up a lot of opportunity for Allen being the only TE in Indy now. Chud loves targeting TE's in his offense, and I could see Allen getting a ton of redzone looks this year.

Anyone like Allen this year as a sleeper TE? He is one of my favorites. 

Fleener is getting a ton of attention going to the Saints, but this also opens up a lot of opportunity for Allen being the only TE in Indy now. Chud loves targeting TE's in his offense, and I could see Allen getting a ton of redzone looks this year.
I love him at his current price.  Don't love seeing stories about "hip soreness" given that he missed almost his whole rookie year with a hip issue, of course.  But let's go back to 2014, when Allen and Fleener combined for a whopping 16 TDs, and the tight end group for the Colts received over 160 targets.  The ceiling for an Andrew Luck TE is very, very high.

If he stays healthy, I think he'll have a hard time not racking up 60/700 and half a dozen TDs, with potential for lots more.  He's going to block a lot, but he's also going to be on the field all the time.  Good opportunity, low cost, great QB.  Sign me up.

I worry about their OL and he might have to block more than we would like
Yep, that isn't going to change.  I believe the OL will be better than last year but the Colts will ask Allen to block a lot.  The main focus of the passing game will be Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett.

That's a good point about him blocking more due to the weak o-line. Wonder if there are numbers showing how often the Colts had their TE's in to block last year? I'd assume it'd be pretty similar to this season.

Here's a piece at The Fake Football that does some of that.  The short summary: in 2015, Allen ran 204 routes and blocked on  78 pass attempts.  In 2014, he ran 383 pass routes and blocked on 85 pass attempts.  Fleener ran way more routes and blocked way less, but Allen was still more effective per route run, per target, and per reception.  

They (and I) expect Allen to pick up quite a few of Fleener's ~500 pass routes this year.  More volume for Dorsett and Moncrief is likely, too, but Jack Doyle definitely isn't going to hog TE targets.

It seems to me the combo of Fleener leaving and Chud calling the plays and Luck's proclivity for using the TE since college days seems like a natural situation for opportunity for Allen.

It seems to me the combo of Fleener leaving and Chud calling the plays and Luck's proclivity for using the TE since college days seems like a natural situation for opportunity for Allen.

That is a pretty good point about Chud as the OC.  Fleener's departure does open a ton of TE pass routes.

So long as he can stay healthy, that is a big question, he is poised for a high volume of targets.

The block rates above should tell you a bit of how the Colts perceive him.  The past two seasons, he's pass-blocked at a higher rate than most top fantasy TEs. Many pure receiving TEs are closer to 85%+.  However, the Colts had Fleener for that.  Particularly with Chudzinski on board, they're not just going to take the TE out of the offense now that Fleener's gone.

If the line is bad all year, Allen will probably still block on 20-25% of pass routes--but because he's their true franchise TE now, he's probably going to get to run a ton of routes on increased volume/usage anyway.  If someone really wants to chase down advanced stats, see if you can find the percentage of TE routes run in a 3WR/1TE set.  The past two years, I believe Fleener often got those TE snaps because 1) Allen missed a bunch of games, and 2) he's a faster/more dynamic receiver.  If Allen's healthy, though, there's no reason he won't see 85-90% of the single-TE snaps available. 

This all adds up to why I'm confident he can get to 100 targets this year, with tons of TD upside as the biggest and strongest receiver on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep in mind he's already missing practice with a sore hip. For a guy that's had problems with injuries including hip surgery, it's something to keep an eye on.

Those look like PPR averages.  Some of those seasons are downright atrocious numbers in non-PPR.
Eh well I think you also have to take into account Winslow getting hurt in 08, 2011 Cam as a rookie focused on SSmith & Olsen splitting time with Shockey (combined they were 150/82/995/9), and then Chud only took over the Indy offense last year end of season. I think Winslow 07, Olsen 12 and Cameron 13 all fairly qualify as 3 separate TEs having breakout seasons under Chud. I also think that Olsen 2012 season where he was freed of splitting time with Shockey makes for an interesting comp. 

Eh well I think you also have to take into account Winslow getting hurt in 08, 2011 Cam as a rookie focused on SSmith & Olsen splitting time with Shockey (combined they were 150/82/995/9), and then Chud only took over the Indy offense last year end of season. I think Winslow 07, Olsen 12 and Cameron 13 all fairly qualify as 3 separate TEs having breakout seasons under Chud. I also think that Olsen 2012 season where he was freed of splitting time with Shockey makes for an interesting comp. 
Yep, was gonna say this. I like the Colts current situation much more than the 2008 Browns and 2011 Panthers.

Colts horrible o-line play and the offense working with Luck on quick release, makes me think Moncrief and Allen will benefit, at least we targets and short-yardage receptions.

Why hasn't he been in the lineup since his td and 2pt concern and who is this Doyle guy???  Is Allen hurt?

Anybody rolling with D Allen today at home vs San Diego? moncrief  is banged up and the Chargers excellent CBs may be able to take away TY Hilton.

I have got to believe Allen will get at least 7-8 targets and a few of those will be red zone looks. 

Thinking of starting him over Pitta this week despite Pittas huge week 2 performance 

What are the rest of the Allen owners doing this week?

I'm starting Allen pretty confidently in 2 leagues. Starting him over Kelce and Hunter Henry. Chargers struggle against TE's and I think Moncrief being out will only help him.

Anybody rolling with D Allen today at home vs San Diego? moncrief  is banged up and the Chargers excellent CBs may be able to take away TY Hilton.

I have got to believe Allen will get at least 7-8 targets and a few of those will be red zone looks. 

Thinking of starting him over Pitta this week despite Pittas huge week 2 performance 

Not really confident in any TE's this year? All a crapshoot it seems. I have flopped back n' forth with Allen and Pitta. Allen back in over Pitta as of now.

I like dallen. But this doyle guy keeps stealing his opportunity. Expect more of the same

Forced to start him because Walker is questionable. Maybe it'll be a mistake but I'm not about to take the risk of him being a decoy

I like dallen. But this doyle guy keeps stealing his opportunity. Expect more of the same
Yep...the number of targets that Jack  Doyle is getting is definitely cause for some concern.  But I think there will be plenty of Te targets to go around today.  At least that's my hope

The Boston Globe's Ben Volin reports Tom Brady has targeted TE Dwayne Allen in the red zone "a ton" during training camp.

Volin characterized Allen as a "great fantasy sleeper." It is interesting Allen is going undrafted in fantasy after Martellus Bennett earned plenty of sleeper buzz in ostensibly the same role last season, and Allen has produced when given chances in the red zone throughout his career. There are worse ways to spend a late-round pick in best ball formats.

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter 

Aug 8 - 12:37 PM

Allen is a must sit tonight, right? Zero receptions and six targets (& I believe he had zero catches in PS.) There was a Boston Herald article back in late August that said he has been struggling with learning their offensive system since OTAs.

Im going all in on him tonight... they brought him over for this reason... everyone knows Gronk doesnt play 16 game seasons 

Allen is a must sit tonight, right? Zero receptions and six targets (& I believe he had zero catches in PS.) There was a Boston Herald article back in late August that said he has been struggling with learning their offensive system since OTAs.
Cutable in (almost) all formats.  The last veteran addition to go down this path in New England was Chad Ochocinco.  If owners have any reasonable options, it's time to move on.

In my 12 team, 2 TE league there was nothing left, and I had Gronk.  I scrambled to pick up Dwayne Allen, thinking I was going to get 2016 Martellus Bennett production when Gronk was out, instead I got a #### sandwich.

Zero catches this year. 

Funny thing is that the first offensive play of the 2017 NFL season was a deep sideline pattern about 30 yards up the field to Allen and he dropped it.  Guess that's the ultimate "setting the tone" for your season.

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Bills, Dolphins, Lions, and Ravens have already expressed interest in free agent TE Dwayne Allen.

Allen was officially released by the Patriots on Monday. He just turned 29 last week. Never used as a pass-catcher in New England, Allen has that in his arsenal dating back to his Colts days but may be more of a blocker at this stage of his career.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

, Detroit Lions

, Miami Dolphins

, Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Mar 4, 2019, 4:43 PM

Free agent TE Dwayne Allen is visiting the Ravens on Tuesday.

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, he will visit the Bills after that, assuming the Ravens do not sign him to a deal. Baltimore's interest in Allen is a bit odd considering they drafted two tight ends in the first three rounds last season, have massive needs at receiver and several defensive stars to re-sign, and have relatively little cap space. That said, both Nick Boyle and Maxx Williams are headed to free agency, so they could use a blocking complement to the young guys.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

, Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Mar 5, 2019, 7:10 AM

Dolphins placed TE Dwayne Allen, LB Mike Hull, and CB Cordrea Tankersley on the active/PUP list.

All three can be activated at any time. Allen signed a two-year deal with Dolphins this offseason and is expected to operate as the second tight end behind Mike Gesicki. The veteran tight end is off the fantasy radar. The Dolphins also claimed OL Will Holden off waivers and waived cornerback Jamar Summers.

RELATED: 

Cordrea Tankersley

, Mike Hull

SOURCE: MiamiDolphins.com

Jul 21, 2019, 4:49 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread