What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Astros 2012-13 Off-season (1 Viewer)

coolnerd

Footballguy
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121027&content_id=40084820&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou

Contract issues

There is a mutual option for 2013 for $4 million for backup catcher Chris Snyder, but it doesn't appear the Astros are going to bring him back. They have no other significant players facing free agency, but expect a few players not to be tendered contracts as the Astros continue to trim some excess off the roster they inherited from previous management.

Areas of need

Designated hitter: The Astros will be scouring the free-agent market looking for their first full-time designated hitter in advance of their move to the American League West in 2013. They have some in-house candidates -- Brett Wallace or Jonathan Singleton, for example -- but expect a veteran to fill this role.

Corner infield: Matt Dominguez (third base), Wallace (first base) and Brandon Laird will be in the mix at the corners, but the Astros would like to add another player to the fray, possibly someone who could slide over and work as the designated hitter.

Outfield: The outfield underwent a substantial change last season when Fernando Martinez, Barnes and Maxwell were starting at the end of the season after J.D. Martinez, Jordan Schafer and Brian Bogusevic started on Opening Day. J.D. Martinez, coming off hand surgery, will be back in the picture, but the Astros would like to add a run producer to push for playing time.

Backup catcher: Jason Castro, finally healthy, emerged last year offensively as the starter, with Chris Snyder and Carlos Corporan splitting backup duties. It's unlikely Snyder returns, so expect the Astros to add another catcher to compete for the reserve spot.

Starting pitching: With Norris, Lyles and Harrell locks for the 1-2-3 spots in the starting rotation, the Astros would like to add an experienced arm that would follow them, or even perhaps compete to pitch at the top of the rotation next year.

Relief pitching: The bullpen was extremely young last season following the midseason trades of Brett Myers and Brandon Lyon. Veteran Wilton Lopez is a fixture at the back end and the Astros like what they have in lefties Wesley Wright and Sergio Escalona (coming off Tommy John surgery), but there's a real need for a veteran arm who could join Lopez in the late innings.

2013 Payroll

The Astros slashed their payroll to bottom-barrel levels following their midseason trades of high-priced players like Myers, Carlos Lee and Wandy Rodriguez, though they're paying significant portions of those contracts. When the dust settled, the only player making more than $750,000 was shortstop Jed Lowrie ($1.15 million), leaving the payroll south of the $20 million range. Lowrie will get a nice raise in arbitration, and pitchers Norris and Lopez are first-time eligible, but there should be enough flexibility to make additions.

astros-set-40-man-roster-storey-claimed-by-yankees

The Astros made their move Tuesday, safeguarding seven players and promoting to the team’s 40-man roster, which in turn prevented them from being drafted by another MLB club. Pitchers Jarred Cosart, Jose Cisnero, Chia-Jen Lo, Brett Olberholtzer, Ross Seaton; outfielder Robbie Grossman and infielder Jonathan Villar made the cut. Promising athletes including Josh Zeid and Marc Krauss and ex-major leaguer Kyle Weiland didn’t. Throw in right-handed reliever Mickey Storey being claimed off waivers by the New York Yankees and infielder Scott Moore’s outright to OKC, and Luhnow said the evaluation process highlighted the depth that’s beginning to fill out Houston’s improved system.

Cisnero and Cosart could have a future at Minute Maid Park. The 23-year-old Cisnero was a combined 13-7 with a 3.70 earned-run average last season at Double-A Corpus Christi and OKC. Cosart, 22, was 6-7 with a 3.30 ERA at Corpus Christi and OKC, and he recently started in the Arizona Fall League Rising Stars challenge.

Villar and Grossman also show potential. Villar, 21, batted .261 with 11 homers, 50 RBI and 39 stolen bases last season for Corpus Christi. Grossman, 23, hit .266 with 10 homers, 28 doubles, 47 RBI and 77 walks in 131 Double-A games for two teams.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121027&content_id=40084820&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou Areas of need Designated hitter: The Astros will be scouring the free-agent market looking for their first full-time designated hitter in advance of their move to the American League West in 2013. They have some in-house candidates -- Brett Wallace or Jonathan Singleton, for example -- but expect a veteran to fill this role.
Brett Wallace is a born DH since his hand came with no glove on it. IF he can't win that job in spring training he should be sent to the minors for attitude adjustment.Singleton can play first base and really shouldn't be DHingWhile I normally wouldn't agree with signing a veteran to DH and thus take AB away from the younger players, Berkman if they could do it right would be a great coach on the team for the young hitters and obviously has fans in Houston

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121027&content_id=40084820&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou Areas of need Designated hitter: The Astros will be scouring the free-agent market looking for their first full-time designated hitter in advance of their move to the American League West in 2013. They have some in-house candidates -- Brett Wallace or Jonathan Singleton, for example -- but expect a veteran to fill this role.
Brett Wallace is a born DH since his hand came with no glove on it. IF he can't win that job in spring training he should be sent to the minors for attitude adjustment.Singleton can play first base and really shouldn't be DHingWhile I normally wouldn't agree with signing a veteran to DH and thus take AB away from the younger players, Berkman if they could do it right would be a great coach on the team for the young hitters and obviously has fans in Houston
Berkman's last year in Houston should have left a bitter taste in the mouths of fans. Yes, the ownership sucked at that point, but he showed up overweight and did not give a professional effort. Looked done, until he showed up in shape for cardinals the next year and performed well. Personally, want no part of him.

What's the deal with Wilton Lopez? Stats look pretty good. Looks like a good pick-up for the Phils?
29 years old, eligible for arbitration, boom market for RPs. Probably makes sense for the Astros to move him now.It all depends of course on which prospects come in return.

Well Lopex actually to the Rockieshttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/04/report-rockies-about-to-acquire-wilton-lopez-from-astros/
Alex White was a well regarded pitching prospect when he was in the Cleveland organization. He was involved in the Ubaldo deal but isn't the first pitcher to blow up in Coors Field. I like the deal from the Astros perspective, especially if Lopez has elbow issues.

'Eephus said:
'coolnerd said:
Well Lopex actually to the Rockieshttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/04/report-rockies-about-to-acquire-wilton-lopez-from-astros/
Alex White was a well regarded pitching prospect when he was in the Cleveland organization. He was involved in the Ubaldo deal but isn't the first pitcher to blow up in Coors Field. I like the deal from the Astros perspective, especially if Lopez has elbow issues.
GM on tradehttp://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2012/12/04/astros-gm-luhnow-says-alex-white-has-top-of-rotation-potential/

Are my #'s off or do the Astros and Rangers have the about the same future TV-deal in place? 80/mill a year?
the Astros own 46% of a Houston sports network...Value of the deal was around a billion in total. they are currently in negioation with various cable/satellite outlets, and as of today the rockets 9who co own the network) are largely unavaiolable for viewing in Houstonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast_SportsNet_Houston

Are my #'s off or do the Astros and Rangers have the about the same future TV-deal in place? 80/mill a year?
The Rangers momentarily captured the attention of the sports world Monday. But it had nothing to do with winning the AL West title over the weekend. Rather, it was because of an online USA Today report claiming the team's new TV contract with Fox Sports Southwest is worth $3 billion over 20 years.http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20100927-Rangers-new-20-year-2344.ece

Veras has good stuff and has averaged over a strikeout per inning in the majors. Unfortunately, he's as wild as a rainforest. Somebody has to close games in Houston. If it's Veras, he could have some fantasy value.
From fantasy perspecitve, the probelm maybe the same as the last couple of years when there just are not enough save chances. As a fan, i could see that being a 'white knuckle ride" closer.

Veras has good stuff and has averaged over a strikeout per inning in the majors. Unfortunately, he's as wild as a rainforest. Somebody has to close games in Houston. If it's Veras, he could have some fantasy value.
Rumored to getting the first crack at closing. Makes him have some fantasy value especially in NL (habit AL) only leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if there is one thing we need it's more old guys who haven't seen their best years in quite some time.

Well, if there is one thing we need it's more old guys who haven't seen their best years in quite some time.
The only thing I can say is at least these are minor league deals. On the positive note MLB released its top 100 prospects and there were actually Astros (yes plural) on the list.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/04/athletics-acquire-jed-lowrie-from-astros-in-five-player-deal/The Athletics have just strengthened their infield, acquiring Jed Lowrie from the Astros in a five-player trade. Lowrie will head to Oakland along with right-hander Fernando Rodriguez while first baseman Chris Carter, right-hander Brad Peacock and minor league catcher catcher Max Stassi are headed to Houston.---------------------------------------------------------I get the rebuilding thing, but there is a point where your fans need to have a few major league types on the roster.

'Abraham said:
Shocked they gave up on Jed so quickly.
Think they know they are going to suck for the next year or two with or w/o Lowrie, so they are going to suck at 25 million versus 40 million. Not a short term fan friendly move, but they keep adding prospects and dumping guaranteed money, so once i step back i see the plan.

I like the Lowrie deal. Carter could be a fixture for a decade, but unsure if they should have targeted a DH as their cornerstone. I think he will rake in Houston, as log as they can offer even some meager protection in the lineup.I like the upside of the two minorleaguers. Both have neen disappointing, so they were able to buy low. Two year ago, there's no way they woudl have gotten either one, much less both. And both are very gifted and very young, plenty of time to revive careers. If not? THere was not muh of an investment in trade value or salary. I like the low risk potential high upside.THis club, that I have followed religously since they were the Colt 45s, is a current disaster. It is humbling for me to watch them. But moves like this could begin the creep to respectability. And once there are half dozen decent starters, there is plenty of payroll available to dabble in FA and round out the team without having to raid their farm. I am less enthusiastic about moving Norris. I think its likely that his market value right now is less than it should be, so I doubt what I like what is received in return. I think he could be a #2 or 3 starter for a long time with just a little proper coaching.

George Springer with a quality game.http://sports.yahoo.com/news/astros-prospect-george-springer-2-214627708--mlb.html

George Springer with a quality game.http://sports.yahoo.com/news/astros-prospect-george-springer-2-214627708--mlb.html
This is a crucial year for Springer. He has to cut down on the strikeouts or he's headed toward a Brett Jackson trajectory. Springer isn't particularly young for a prospect; he's two years older than Jonathan Singleton and just a month younger than Jason Heyward.

Users who are viewing this thread