Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
prgromek

Kyle Rudolph

11 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

You are all over the place with this post

They could have gone all over the place with that pick, other than a TE#2 to replace the TE#2 they had just taken in the 5th round.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, BoltBacker said:

The devil is always in the details(guaranteed money) but on the fact of things it really makes you wonder why they didn't make this decision earlier.... like before the NFL draft.

Negotiations are tricky. In Rudolphs case they were trying to get a deal done before the draft. They reached an impasse on the details of the deal (Rudolph and agent asking for more garunteed money than the Vikings wanted to pay) and there was a report of these negotiations stalling before the draft.

Instead of drafting Mattison to backup Cook they could have had Sanders/Henderson/Harris which all would have been a pretty big upgrade. Of course, I also think they could have had a better RB by simply drafting Justice Hill instead of Mattison but my opinion may be in the minority as he is a very different style of runner.

You are not completely alone on this. Arif Hasan who covers the Vikings and in my opinion one of the best journalists to listen to about the Vikings said the same thing on his podcast, that he preferred Justice Hill to Mattison. I can understand that, I like Justice Hill a lot. Hill is more similar to Cook than he is to Murray though. Murray is who they were looking to replace with the Mattison pick. The Vikings seem to like having a big RB as a COP to Cook, which makes sense as one of Cooks weaknesses is running straight into the defense with power. They would like to have a different RB for this purpose. That used to be Murray, now it likely will be Mattison. 

*shrugs you are not the only person who really liked how Hill would fit this offense. Honestly I think Kubiak was on board with the Mattison pick but the only report about this I have read says Mattison was a Stefanski (Vikings OC) favorite. I haven't heard Kubiak talk about Mattison yet (maybe he has I just missed it). It would make a difference to me hearing Kubiaks blessing of the player.

OR they could have drafted Dieter at OG to actually have some quality and depth on OL for the first time since.... my lifetime?

I would have preferred they draft Du Samia over Deiter who is a better fit for man blocking scheme than zone blocking. They got the guy I thought was a 2nd round value in the 4th round.

OR in a draft with deep quality at WR they could have complimented Diggs/Thielen with a big WR like Metcalf/Arcega-Whiteside.

Irv Smith obviously higher on their board. Also it is becoming very apparent that the Vikings have been planning to go heavier TE personnel groupings even before Smith fell to them in the 2nd round. 3 WR sets are not a priority anymore for the Vikings. Was discussing this a lot with Andy and other Vikings fans before the draft. They wanted the Vikings to go for a WR higher as well with 3 WR sets in mind. If Theilen or Diggs get injured, then there could be a problem. Treadweell definitely inst the answer.

OR they could have even taken Grier as a developmental QB if they are starting to worry they made the wrong decision with Cousins. Having recently watched the pre-playoff game with CHI it really makes you wonder if they should be developing a guy just in case. Really, I don't understand why more teams aren't developing a second QB.

In the 2nd round? Your losing me now.

It just seems like they could have gone so many different directions in the draft if they had made these hard decisions/negotiations BEFORE the draft. And please don't explain to me that they needed a blocking TE. Yeah, every team in the NFL has a blocking TE on the roster.... they just don't generally burn the 50th overall pick on a blocking TE. They generally sign for the vet minimum or get drafted on day 3, and often not early on day 3 of the draft. Conklin was a recent 5th rounder so I guess they are dedicated to being REALLY deep at TE.

Actually the Vikings used a 2nd round pick on Jim Kleinsasser back in the day. Great blocker. Perhaps the best blocking TE/FB in Vikings history. I recall Bloom saying this was a wasted pick by them at the time, and I don't really disagree with him as far as draft capital goes but Kleinsasser was a good pick.

Irv Smith no where near the blocker that Sauce was, nor is he as good at that as David Morgan who the Vikings already have (and who should play a lot) or Rhett Ellison who now plays for the Giants.

Irv Smith is a receiving TE whos body type and skill set reminds me of Steve Jordan more than any other TE they have had. I don't think the Vikings planned to select him as he should have been drafted before pick 50. They got lucky so they took him.

If this all sounds like a diatribe from a Rudolph dynasty owner that was hoping to spin the wheel and have him land in a better destination(Oak/NE).... it is. The assumption of rational roster management by NFL teams often times will come back to bite you. He's been "Good" in MIN and I expect that to continue, I just think he could have been great in some other places.

He could be better for your fantasy team if he went somewhere else and got 120 targets again. I totally agree.

I think the Vikings front office has done more planning than you may be aware of though.

54 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Hill is more similar to Cook than he is to Murray though. Murray is who they were looking to replace with the Mattison pick. The Vikings seem to like having a big RB as a COP to Cook, which makes sense as one of Cooks weaknesses is running straight into the defense with power. They would like to have a different RB for this purpose. That used to be Murray, now it likely will be Mattison. 

I think this is a great point.

Still, if it were me and I were trying to build around Cook on a team that wan't to run, run, and run some more I would have just taken the BPA@RB and if I needed a compliment just grabbed another guy later. As things turned out they could have used pick #247 on E.Holyfield/A.Barnes or used pick #217 on M.Weber. I really like Dillon Mitchell(pick#239) and not only think he has a chance to crack the roster but very well could be WR#3 by the end of the season so I wouldn't change anything about that pick. Honestly, I kind of expected Snell to be available somewhere close to pick #217 but Steelers gonna Steeler. If you ask me any one of the guys I just listed with Cook/Hill would have been so much more exciting and deep than what they have now.

But I digress, because that's all assuming you are using your 2nd round pick on a backup TE. IMO there are times on the NFL calendar where you have to make hard decisions. They should have made their decisions with regard to Rudolph before the draft and traded him on draft day for WHATEVER to gain the salary cap space they needed or signed him to the extension before hand. It sounds like Rudolph wanted to stay in MIN all along so I have a hard time believing he wouldn't have signed something similar before the draft but admittedly that is purely speculation on my part. He certainly didn't seem pressured into doing anything before the extension was signed just recently, though.

Well they were talking with teams about trading Rudolph before and during the draft. 

They didnt get an offer they liked enough to take it.

I think there were still some trade talks post draft as well but not rich enough offers then either.

The asking price for Rudolph I am guessing was a 2nd or 3rd round pick just based on the size of Rudolph's contract they could have possibly got a 3rd round comp pick if they didnt sign him to an extension. 

I dont think Rudolph is worth what they are paying him but the Vikings value him more than I do. His blocking still sucks.

Kyle Rudolph doesn't expect the Vikings' offense to become less run established.

"That’s the kind of offense that coach Zimmer wants to have, that’s the kind of mentality that we’ve had success with in the past," Rudolph, who has four catches for 20 yards, said. "We run the football, we play good defense, we change field position on special teams and we win games in the fourth quarter." Rudolph is barely even a TE2 in the Vikings' new-look offense.

SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter

Sep 26, 2019, 1:57 PM ET

This guy was languishing on my dynasty team for years. I dropped him, and he remains on the waiver wire. Disappointing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Casting Couch said:

This guy was languishing on my dynasty team for years. I dropped him, and he remains on the waiver wire. Disappointing. 

Lol. Exact same with me. I drafted him out of college and dropped in this past week. No one has picked him up.

Traded him this offseason along with Aaron Rodgers for a 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, and Larry Fitzgerald. 

Oh yeah!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Rudolph has played 92% of snaps.  He is on pace for 19 receptions and 115 yards.  It is a level of futility hard to imagine.

Nowhere to go but up, right?

• Like 1